DIY

DIY: Gift Tags From Magazine Pages

August 9, 2013

Hello decor8 readers, are you feeling creative today? It’s Lisa and I’m ready to show you another super easy and fun craft this month in my Make Me column (Sorry I skipped the month of July, we had some illness around here). I love a beautifully wrapped gift, don’t you? I find pleasure in both giving and receiving something that’s wrapped with love. I also have a hard time getting rid of old magazines, so this craft project ticks two boxes.

DIY: Gift Tags From Magazine Pages

There comes a point when my magazine stacks just get too high. When that happens, I spend some time leafing through old issues and tearing out the images that I love. Some I keep for inspiration and others I put into a craft file. One of the things I like to use them for is gift tags – it’s a lovely way to upcycle the pages and it’s fun to do. My daughter loves to make her own stash of tags and cards too.

You’ll need:
* Lovely magazine or catalogue pages
* Light weight card
* Pencil
* Ruler
* Scissors or a craft knife and cutting mat
* Glue
* Paint brush
* Embellishments like glitter, washi tape, stickers and mini pom poms

DIY: Gift Tags From Magazine Pages

Step 1: Cut out the tags
Make yourself some cropping guides out of paper. They are basically just ‘L’ shapes that you can use to crop an image. Use the cropping guides to find the most pleasing part of a photo for your tag, rule lines to indicate the edges, then cut it out.

DIY: Gift Tags From Magazine Pages

Step 2: Make the tags
When you’ve cut out a number of tags glue them to some light weight card and trim them. Punch holes in the top of some to thread ribbon or twine through.

DIY: Gift Tags From Magazine Pages

DIY: Gift Tags From Magazine Pages

Step 3: Embellish them

Using a paint brush, apply glue to some areas of the images. Try to follow and compliment the shapes and forms in the image, or apply a random all over pattern – like polka dots. Sprinkle glitter on top. Add washi tape stripes or small neon office stickers.

DIY: Gift Tags From Magazine Pages

DIY: Gift Tags From Magazine Pages

Step 4: Wrap some gifts
I sometimes also use large images for wrapping too, like the hydrangea one, shown top right. If it’s not large enough combine it with a piece of coordinating gift wrap like I have. Write on the back of the tag, find some lovely ribbon, lace or twine and wrap a beautiful gift with a handmade touch.

DIY: Gift Tags From Magazine Pages

DIY: Gift Tags From Magazine Pages

It’s always fun looking through magazines, so next time it’s raining set aside some me time, put the kettle on and go through that stack! Relax, get some sorting done, and be creative all at once. Perfect! – Lisa xo

(images/text: lisa tilse)

You Might Also Like

36 Comments

• Reply Lucy Chen August 9, 2013 at 8:37 am

Whoa! Lisa! What a GREAT idea! It’s a small thing to do, but the idea is perfect for me. There’re so many lovely images in the magazines that I didn’t know what to do with. I didn’t want to hold on to stacks of old magazines, and what do I do with the cut-outs? Now you’ve given me the perfect thing to do with them! Thank you! Thank you! I may even attach these to the Thank-You notes and little things I send out to my collectors. Really! Thank you!

• Reply BohèmeCircus August 9, 2013 at 9:21 am

I think our packages are part of the gift we offer, and they may reflect our style! It is a pleasure to find the colors, materials and patterns that help to achieve a more beautiful surprise gift. It’s like a dish eaten with the eyes before you eat!
    Thank you Lisa for your DIY and this pretty visual tasting !

• Reply Holly {Avenue} August 9, 2013 at 10:57 am

These are great! Am so going to try this. Thanks Lisa!

• Reply Bram De Geyter August 9, 2013 at 10:59 am

Hi Lisa,

Eva & I @ Poppinette have been loving this post!! Great idea, gorgeous pics and a good excuse to get our washi tape collection out again!

We’ll be trying this out for sure!

Bram (& Eva)

• Reply Bec August 9, 2013 at 11:51 am

Love those ideas, thank you for this inspiration!

• Reply Ella August 9, 2013 at 2:04 pm

Oh, I love this project! I love packaging and this looks like so much fun! I also have a hard time throwing out magazines, so this should be a great way to use them! Thanks!

• Reply Visual Philosophy August 9, 2013 at 3:08 pm

Wow. Beautiful photographs to accompany your tutorial. Thanks for sharing.

-VP

• Reply laura redburn // cardboardcities August 9, 2013 at 3:53 pm

beautiful! i love recieving presents (the rare times i get any) that are beautifully wrapped! always, always keep lovely packaging too.

• Reply Kris {Driven by Décor} August 9, 2013 at 3:57 pm

I’ve got a HUGE stack sitting in front of me that I’m waiting for the perfect rainy day to go through. Love your ideas!

• Reply Lynne, Papermash August 9, 2013 at 3:58 pm

I’ve just discovered this series and love it! Love this simple idea – and thanks for reminding me of Lisa, I used to read her blog years ago and its lovely to rediscover it.

• Reply Tanya August 9, 2013 at 7:02 pm

Not all of the pictures loaded on my screen but it looks pretty cute from what pictures I did see. Wish I could see them all though :(

• Reply Melanie August 9, 2013 at 7:22 pm

Lisa, where did you get that pretty geometric gift wrap? It really makes the presents pop!

• Reply Stephanie Alford August 10, 2013 at 12:19 am

Where is that paper from? It’s beautiful!

• Reply Gwen August 10, 2013 at 7:25 am

From the cards to the styling…this is all just beautiful!

• Reply Steph Bond-Hutkin August 10, 2013 at 11:16 am

You are amazing Lisa! These parcels are beyond gorgeous. I’ve never head of a crop guide before – love that. It’s going to make my life so much easier. Thanks!

• Reply Liese | lipstickandsoda August 10, 2013 at 11:44 am

This is such a very lovely idea, thanks so much for sharing! I love wrapping gifts and going through old magazines, so this is perfect :)

• Reply Tina Ramchandani August 12, 2013 at 12:51 am

This is a wonderful idea! Simple to do, but looks personal. Thank you!

• Reply Lucy August 12, 2013 at 9:03 am

What a fashion forward way to think. I love this!

• Reply Elien August 12, 2013 at 10:33 am

This post inspires me very much. The crop guide is a good idea as well. Thanks!

• Reply Sarah @ Mocha August 12, 2013 at 10:36 am

What a great idea! So simple and stylish – and really livens up a gift.

• Reply lisa :: the red thread August 12, 2013 at 11:11 am

@BohèmeCircus: Ah, you are so right! And so welcome too.

• Reply lisa :: the red thread August 12, 2013 at 11:12 am

@Bram De Geyter: Any excuse to get the washi tape out I think!

• Reply lisa :: the red thread August 12, 2013 at 11:19 am

@Melanie: The large triangle wrap is from Australian shop kikki.K, and the others are from a lovely Aussie maker called Bespoke Letterpress. They’re beautiful aren’t they?

• Reply lisa :: the red thread August 12, 2013 at 11:20 am

@Stephanie Alford: See my reply above.

• Reply lisa :: the red thread August 12, 2013 at 11:21 am

@Steph Bond-Hutkin: Thanks Steph. I’m always happy to know that I’ve taught somebody something!

• Reply Georgia Breedon August 12, 2013 at 1:24 pm

Love this idea looks really effective, will be giving this a try thanks for the inspiration.

• Reply anastasia August 12, 2013 at 2:51 pm

These look gorgeous Lisa! love the look of all of them – well done!

• Reply Shana Norris August 12, 2013 at 3:04 pm

Love these. I never really like the store-bought gift tags. My daughter and I will have fun making this project.

• Reply Kelly August 12, 2013 at 5:53 pm

Love colorful mags and this is a great way to make further use of them! :-)

• Reply mel August 13, 2013 at 12:58 am

Hi Lisa, what a gorgeous idea – i love it and will certainly use it! I’ve been known to wrap presents with newspaper, magazine pages, kids drawings so this is right up my alley. Thank you! Mel

• Reply Magda August 13, 2013 at 7:23 pm

This is such a wonderful and simple idea! I love it! I am going to try it out, I think it is fun to make those tags in advance, whenever we are cleaning up the ever-growing stack of magazines. Thank you for sharing!

• Reply Michelle Fallon August 14, 2013 at 1:02 am

love these :O) I use my old housey mags to make cards. The pages with fabric samples or wallpaper swatches are perect.

• Reply lisa :: the red thread August 14, 2013 at 1:27 am

@Lucy Chen: Lucy somehow I missed your comment in the number 1 spot! Thanks for your enthusiasm, I’m really so happy to read your comment. I’m all about trying to spark inspiration, so I’m delighted to have done that for you!

• Reply decor8 August 14, 2013 at 2:34 pm

@Lisa::the red thread – Once again thank you for your column Lisa, Lucy Chen is right, it definitely sparks imagination so thank you!

• Reply Lucy Chen August 16, 2013 at 7:37 am

@lisa :: the red thread: Oh Yeah! I’m cutting out magazine pages and saving them! I can also put my acrylic gel mediums to use now. Another big plus for me since I switched to oil paint.

• Reply lisa :: the red thread August 26, 2013 at 7:35 am

@decor8: Ah, thanks Holly! I’m so happy – that’s what I’m all about.