Make Me: Gift Tags From Magazine Pages

Hello decor8 readers, are you feeling creative today? It’s Lisa and I’m ready to show you another super easy and fun craft this month in my Make Me column (Sorry I skipped the month of July, we had some illness around here). I love a beautifully wrapped gift, don’t you? I find pleasure in both giving and receiving something that’s wrapped with love. I also have a hard time getting rid of old magazines, so this craft project ticks two boxes.

Make Me: Gift Tags From Magazine Pages

There comes a point when my magazine stacks just get too high. When that happens, I spend some time leafing through old issues and tearing out the images that I love. Some I keep for inspiration and others I put into a craft file. One of the things I like to use them for is gift tags – it’s a lovely way to upcycle the pages and it’s fun to do. My daughter loves to make her own stash of tags and cards too.

You’ll need:
* Lovely magazine or catalogue pages
* Light weight card
* Pencil
* Ruler
* Scissors or a craft knife and cutting mat
* Glue
* Paint brush
* Embellishments like glitter, washi tape, stickers and mini pom poms

Make Me: Gift Tags From Magazine Pages

Step 1: Cut out the tags
Make yourself some cropping guides out of paper. They are basically just ‘L’ shapes that you can use to crop an image. Use the cropping guides to find the most pleasing part of a photo for your tag, rule lines to indicate the edges, then cut it out.

Make Me: Gift Tags From Magazine Pages

Step 2: Make the tags
When you’ve cut out a number of tags glue them to some light weight card and trim them. Punch holes in the top of some to thread ribbon or twine through.

Make Me: Gift Tags From Magazine Pages

Make Me: Gift Tags From Magazine Pages

Step 3: Embellish them

Using a paint brush, apply glue to some areas of the images. Try to follow and compliment the shapes and forms in the image, or apply a random all over pattern – like polka dots. Sprinkle glitter on top. Add washi tape stripes or small neon office stickers.

Make Me: Gift Tags From Magazine Pages

Make Me: Gift Tags From Magazine Pages

Step 4: Wrap some gifts
I sometimes also use large images for wrapping too, like the hydrangea one, shown top right. If it’s not large enough combine it with a piece of coordinating gift wrap like I have. Write on the back of the tag, find some lovely ribbon, lace or twine and wrap a beautiful gift with a handmade touch.

Make Me: Gift Tags From Magazine Pages

Make Me: Gift Tags From Magazine Pages

It’s always fun looking through magazines, so next time it’s raining set aside some me time, put the kettle on and go through that stack! Relax, get some sorting done, and be creative all at once. Perfect! – Lisa xo

(images/text: lisa tilse)

Posted by decor8 in Make Me on August 09, 2013

1. Lucy Chen commented
    August 9th, 2013 at 8:37am

Whoa! Lisa! What a GREAT idea! It’s a small thing to do, but the idea is perfect for me. There’re so many lovely images in the magazines that I didn’t know what to do with. I didn’t want to hold on to stacks of old magazines, and what do I do with the cut-outs? Now you’ve given me the perfect thing to do with them! Thank you! Thank you! I may even attach these to the Thank-You notes and little things I send out to my collectors. Really! Thank you!
    Lucy Chen´s last blog post ..2 Unbelievable Prosperity Stories (Choose Your Own Path)

2. BohèmeCircus commented
    August 9th, 2013 at 9:21am

I think our packages are part of the gift we offer, and they may reflect our style! It is a pleasure to find the colors, materials and patterns that help to achieve a more beautiful surprise gift. It’s like a dish eaten with the eyes before you eat!
    Thank you Lisa for your DIY and this pretty visual tasting !
    BohèmeCircus´s last blog post ..Happy colors & papers

3. Holly {Avenue} commented
    August 9th, 2013 at 10:57am

These are great! Am so going to try this. Thanks Lisa!
    Holly {Avenue}´s last blog post ..Colour Files: Peach, Grey and Turquoise

4. Bram De Geyter commented
    August 9th, 2013 at 10:59am

Hi Lisa,

Eva & I @ Poppinette have been loving this post!! Great idea, gorgeous pics and a good excuse to get our washi tape collection out again!

We’ll be trying this out for sure!

Bram (& Eva)
    Bram De Geyter´s last blog post ..Ikea changing table makeover

5. Bec commented
    August 9th, 2013 at 11:51am

Love those ideas, thank you for this inspiration!

6. Ella commented
    August 9th, 2013 at 2:04pm

Oh, I love this project! I love packaging and this looks like so much fun! I also have a hard time throwing out magazines, so this should be a great way to use them! Thanks!

7. Visual Philosophy commented
    August 9th, 2013 at 3:08pm

Wow. Beautiful photographs to accompany your tutorial. Thanks for sharing.

-VP

Visual Philosophy´s last blog post ..Bauhaus Architectural prints, set of three, Retro Midcentury design, A3 Giclee prints by visualphilosophy

8. laura redburn // cardboardcities commented
    August 9th, 2013 at 3:53pm

beautiful! i love recieving presents (the rare times i get any) that are beautifully wrapped! always, always keep lovely packaging too.

9. Kris {Driven by Décor} commented
    August 9th, 2013 at 3:57pm

I’ve got a HUGE stack sitting in front of me that I’m waiting for the perfect rainy day to go through. Love your ideas!
    Kris {Driven by Décor}´s last blog post ..Wallpaper & Wrapping Paper: Creative Uses In Your Home

10. Lynne, Papermash commented
    August 9th, 2013 at 3:58pm

I’ve just discovered this series and love it! Love this simple idea – and thanks for reminding me of Lisa, I used to read her blog years ago and its lovely to rediscover it.
    Lynne, Papermash´s last blog post ..Washi Wednesday winner

11. Tanya commented
    August 9th, 2013 at 7:02pm

Not all of the pictures loaded on my screen but it looks pretty cute from what pictures I did see. Wish I could see them all though :(
    Tanya´s last blog post ..Three Key Characteristics of a Smart Social Media Policy

12. Melanie commented
    August 9th, 2013 at 7:22pm

Lisa, where did you get that pretty geometric gift wrap? It really makes the presents pop!

13. Stephanie Alford commented
    August 10th, 2013 at 12:19am

Where is that paper from? It’s beautiful!

14. Gwen commented
    August 10th, 2013 at 7:25am

From the cards to the styling…this is all just beautiful!
    Gwen´s last blog post ..Making it Work: Kilim Bench Makeover

15. Steph Bond-Hutkin commented
    August 10th, 2013 at 11:16am

You are amazing Lisa! These parcels are beyond gorgeous. I’ve never head of a crop guide before – love that. It’s going to make my life so much easier. Thanks!
    Steph Bond-Hutkin´s last blog post ..Pineapple door stop from MOZI

16. Liese | lipstickandsoda commented
    August 10th, 2013 at 11:44am

This is such a very lovely idea, thanks so much for sharing! I love wrapping gifts and going through old magazines, so this is perfect :)
    Liese | lipstickandsoda´s last blog post ..extracts | capturing iceland in photographs.

17. Tina Ramchandani commented
    August 12th, 2013 at 12:51am

This is a wonderful idea! Simple to do, but looks personal. Thank you!
    Tina Ramchandani´s last blog post ..Instagram Challenge: August Break 2013

18. Lucy commented
    August 12th, 2013 at 9:03am

What a fashion forward way to think. I love this!
    Lucy´s last blog post ..The Dining Room Walls

19. Elien commented
    August 12th, 2013 at 10:33am

This post inspires me very much. The crop guide is a good idea as well. Thanks!
    Elien´s last blog post ..Back to School Fun

20. Sarah @ Mocha commented
    August 12th, 2013 at 10:36am

What a great idea! So simple and stylish – and really livens up a gift.
    Sarah @ Mocha´s last blog post ..5 Easy Ways to Add Mediterranean Style To Your Living Room

21. lisa :: the red thread commented
    August 12th, 2013 at 11:11am

@BohèmeCircus: Ah, you are so right! And so welcome too.

22. lisa :: the red thread commented
    August 12th, 2013 at 11:12am

@Bram De Geyter: Any excuse to get the washi tape out I think!
    lisa :: the red thread´s last blog post ..LOVING :: inky indigo

23. lisa :: the red thread commented
    August 12th, 2013 at 11:19am

@Melanie: The large triangle wrap is from Australian shop kikki.K, and the others are from a lovely Aussie maker called Bespoke Letterpress. They’re beautiful aren’t they?

lisa :: the red thread´s last blog post ..LOVING :: inky indigo

24. lisa :: the red thread commented
    August 12th, 2013 at 11:20am

@Stephanie Alford: See my reply above.
    lisa :: the red thread´s last blog post ..LOVING :: inky indigo

25. lisa :: the red thread commented
    August 12th, 2013 at 11:21am

@Steph Bond-Hutkin: Thanks Steph. I’m always happy to know that I’ve taught somebody something!
    lisa :: the red thread´s last blog post ..LOVING :: inky indigo

26. Georgia Breedon commented
    August 12th, 2013 at 1:24pm

Love this idea looks really effective, will be giving this a try thanks for the inspiration.
    Georgia Breedon´s last blog post ..A summers evening

27. anastasia commented
    August 12th, 2013 at 2:51pm

These look gorgeous Lisa! love the look of all of them – well done!
    anastasia´s last blog post ..Giddy Up!

28. Shana Norris commented
    August 12th, 2013 at 3:04pm

Love these. I never really like the store-bought gift tags. My daughter and I will have fun making this project.
    Shana Norris´s last blog post ..The August Break :: Play

29. Kelly commented
    August 12th, 2013 at 5:53pm

Love colorful mags and this is a great way to make further use of them! :-)

30. mel commented
    August 13th, 2013 at 12:58am

Hi Lisa, what a gorgeous idea – i love it and will certainly use it! I’ve been known to wrap presents with newspaper, magazine pages, kids drawings so this is right up my alley. Thank you! Mel
    mel´s last blog post ..Sydney Instagram Roundup

31. Magda commented
    August 13th, 2013 at 7:23pm

This is such a wonderful and simple idea! I love it! I am going to try it out, I think it is fun to make those tags in advance, whenever we are cleaning up the ever-growing stack of magazines. Thank you for sharing!
    Magda´s last blog post ..Found around: The Tea Bar in Amsterdam

32. Michelle Fallon commented
    August 14th, 2013 at 1:02am

love these :O) I use my old housey mags to make cards. The pages with fabric samples or wallpaper swatches are perect.
    Michelle Fallon´s last blog post ..Shed Chic Candleabra

33. lisa :: the red thread commented
    August 14th, 2013 at 1:27am

@Lucy Chen: Lucy somehow I missed your comment in the number 1 spot! Thanks for your enthusiasm, I’m really so happy to read your comment. I’m all about trying to spark inspiration, so I’m delighted to have done that for you!
    lisa :: the red thread´s last blog post ..LOVING :: inky indigo

34. decor8 commented
    August 14th, 2013 at 2:34pm

@Lisa::the red thread – Once again thank you for your column Lisa, Lucy Chen is right, it definitely sparks imagination so thank you!

35. Lucy Chen commented
    August 16th, 2013 at 7:37am

@lisa :: the red thread: Oh Yeah! I’m cutting out magazine pages and saving them! I can also put my acrylic gel mediums to use now. Another big plus for me since I switched to oil paint.
    Lucy Chen´s last blog post ..My Dream’s Beginning, a Speed Painting Video

36. lisa :: the red thread commented
    August 26th, 2013 at 7:35am

@decor8: Ah, thanks Holly! I’m so happy – that’s what I’m all about.
    lisa :: the red thread´s last blog post ..Jane Denton textile art