Events + Markets, uncategorized

Engaged: A Unique Wedding Event

August 26, 2013

Ever stumble upon something where you just think, “YES – this is something I would have organized!”. That’s how I felt when I saw the video and read about this Dutch wedding event called Engaged. While the theme isn’t anything I’d explore professionally or host an event around, the overall concept is definitely one I can get behind and that I really like. I guess it’s because it feels very American to me and that is something I often miss about living abroad – Americans do wedding, craft and blog events REALLY well don’t we? (With the exception of our big, cheesy mainstream ones hosted by massive corporations.) It’s different in Europe, where lots of these things are just taking off – most of the events can be feel very typical “trade show”. So I applaud these girls for launching this event in The Netherlands. Could set a new standard here and launch a refreshing new trend in this part of Europe. Want to watch the cute Engaged video first and then I’ll tell you more? It’s in Dutch but you’ll get the gist of it.

This event, to be held in Rotterdam DELFT on UPDATE: October 5, 2013 will not only include a curated group of vendors for brides-to-be and their grooms to mingle with and learn from, but also yummy food and various DJs that you can hang out with – all in an inspiring space. They will even host a dance party so bringing your dancing shoes is strongly encouraged. The organizers, Janina and Judith, assure you that there are no boring stands, leaflets or flyers (so typical at the usual wedding fair), just real and fun experiences. And for only a €25 admission fee, you really can’t go wrong (€32.50 at the door)

Engaged: A Unique Wedding Event

Engaged: A Unique Wedding Event

Engaged: A Unique Wedding Event

Engaged is still accepting vendor applications so if you are interested in attending and reaching brides, definitely fill out this form ASAP!

I’m already married and I want to go – looks so cute! So, will you be attending?

(photos: engaged)

You Might Also Like

19 Comments

• Reply Elodie (madame love) August 26, 2013 at 12:18 pm

That looks like a lovely event holly! The wedding industry has changed so much in the past years. I wish I could have gone to events like that when I was planing my wedding 5 years ago.
    Elodie

• Reply Holly {Avenue Lifestyle} August 26, 2013 at 12:55 pm

I attended the press event for Engaged last week and was mighty impressed by the girls’ enthusiasm and commitment. There’s definitely a need for some fresh new energy in the wedding scene here, and I have a feeling Engaged us going up be a sell-out event filled with excited brides-to-be! I’ll be one if them :)

• Reply Lauren @ infinite.nu August 26, 2013 at 2:01 pm

“It’s different in Europe, where lots of these things are just taking off” – huh, I didn’t know that!

I’ll be in London during the Fall and I just assumed there would be lots of weddings, big and small!

• Reply decor8 August 26, 2013 at 4:24 pm

@lauren – There are lots of weddings, of course, I never stated otherwise. But I did state that it is different in Europe when it comes to hosting indie events for things like weddings – these kinds of fairs with heart and soul, curated vendors, cute videos, etc. are very American to me and seem to be very new here. For instance, I never saw anything like this when I moved over 4 years ago. Also by Europe I mean mainland, not UK. I don’t know what they do there for wedding events – I imagine they have stuff very similar to the US.

• Reply Kasey Vigen August 26, 2013 at 6:52 pm

Looks like it will be a cool place to be at for open and creative minds.

• Reply Tanya August 26, 2013 at 7:56 pm

How Fun!! I love that dress in the picture. Its so pretty.

• Reply Juliane at Modern Mural August 26, 2013 at 9:05 pm

What a great idea. I love seeing all the different styles of weddings. Lovely!

• Reply jenna August 26, 2013 at 10:05 pm

The girls seemed really nice and I liked what I saw. Obviously I didn´t understand a word they said until they screamed that last “awesome”. And I must say that this reeeally put me off.

The word “awesome” is what I consider to be a cheesy teenage phrase – my seventeen year old stepsister used it in every second sentence last summer.

But I still do appreciate a good indie event and hope they will be successful!

• Reply decor8 August 27, 2013 at 9:54 am

@Jenna – You must be a native English speaker – American? If so, that’s why it’s silly to you. Lots of women over here think lots of our common expressions (they learn from our films, music and blogs, etc.) they are hearing from America are so cute. Germans say lots of things they think is so “cool” and trendy but to Americans, it’s really not and sometimes I want to tell them it’s not or that we don’t say that anymore, but I don’t want to burst their bubble. :) I guess it’s the same in other EU countries too.

• Reply Kimberly August 26, 2013 at 10:32 pm

Hi Holly, looks like a great event. I might just have to pay it a visit!
    Saw a mini typo in your text…the event is taking place on October 5th 2013, not 2014 :)

• Reply Caroline August 26, 2013 at 10:37 pm

Hi, I just wanted to let you know that the website says the event will be on Rotterdam Road, in Delft & not Rotterdam the city.
    Easy mistake.
    Caroline

• Reply Stacey August 26, 2013 at 11:02 pm

This looks amazing, i want it in the North of England please!!!

• Reply Jeff Back August 27, 2013 at 12:09 am

Weddings can be a stressful time, but I think that these fresh ideas in the lack-luster or, conversely, overly intricate wedding market may offer a new spin with room to grow in a different–more desirable–direction.
    Great article!

• Reply Visual Philosophy August 27, 2013 at 4:03 am

Wow! Loving this!

-VP

• Reply Gwen. The Makerista August 27, 2013 at 4:03 am

That is so beautiful! It’s interesting how others perceive what we do here in the US…since I haven’t spent that much time abroad I didn’t know that, thanks for sharing!

• Reply jenna August 27, 2013 at 1:13 pm

You`re right, Holly! I am half German, half American (and lived in UK for a while) and I often think my fellow Germans sound so stupid when trying to use certain phrases. But on the other hand it is also cute ;-)

• Reply Chirtine September 2, 2013 at 4:56 pm

beautiful

• Reply Alison July 14, 2014 at 2:41 pm

I want that dress for my wedding. oh God i really want that dress :)

• Reply hayri July 20, 2014 at 4:46 pm

Wow, looks like a great event.