Baby Update!

It’s Friday, it’s Friday! Woo hoo! How are you doing today? I’m really excited for this weekend to come and go because on Tuesday, we will have that big ultrasound that will let us know if we are welcoming a baby boy or a baby girl in January. Monday begins week 19, I’m pretty much halfway through pregnancy already and so extremely in love with being pregnant – despite that the first 16 weeks were hell on earth with illness. It’s been better but I’m still nauseous daily and feeling only momentary bursts of energy.

Lilacs

I’m definitely no where near feeling the amazing energy that everyone promised me would be the case right now. But I do have a bump (which I’m quite proud of) and I have had some friends rub my belly (which I love) so I know I’m looking a little pregnant by now which is really nice. I bought and wore my first maternity dress and though the stomach part has plenty of room to grow into, I’m in love with my stylish gray knit dress. It will look so cute with tights and boots this Fall. I think being pregnant is wonderful, it’s like you can finally not give a crap about your weight. You can love seeing your stomach get larger without guilt and when people see it, they don’t think, “Oh boy, lay off the chips”, they think, “Ahhhhh she’s pregnant, how cute!”. How can anyone not love being adored for having a big stomach?

My appetite has returned but only a little – though I’m not losing more weight so that’s good. I was worried for awhile after I dropped 20 pounds in my first trimester. Yet, I’m only growing in my tummy – no where else – and only slightly, a pound or two. The best thing is that I crave salad, quiche, fruit and healthy drinks. Everything else turns me off. I can eat salmon and eggs but not chicken or turkey. I haven’t had cheese in months, no desire for it. I don’t eat bread, it turns me off whenever I see bread or sweets in the bakery. Candy repulses me – like I cannot have a tiny piece of chocolate without feeling like I’m going to spiral down into total nausea again. If I even think of pasta I feel queasy, so none of that either. It makes me laugh because this baby seems to be whipping mommy here into great health and good shape because I only crave healthy stuff. Ice cream also makes me sick, imagine!? I definitely am the exception when it comes to pregnancy cravings, all of my girlfriends only wanted sweet food, or salty food, or both. And they ate and ate constantly, some craved McDonalds and other craved cake and candy. But here I am, craving a big slice of watermelon.

Could be worse. And for this I am actually quite grateful.

I have so much to plan now that I am close to hitting the halfway mark. Organizing my home. Cleaning out the room that will become the nursery. Buying furniture for the baby, and other necessary things… Touring and selecting the hospital. Etc. etc. etc. I have a lovely midwife now and the program in Germany allows for you to have your midwife and your OB/GYN working with you simultaneously whenever you need them throughout pregnancy, then after the baby arrives, insurance here covers 100% for the midwife coming daily to the house for the first 10 days after birth to coach you on everything from breastfeeding to changing diapers, and they can administer acupressure or acupuncture, etc. After those 10 days, you are allowed up to 16 more paid home visits by your midwife for the first 6 months. I will also be receiving free post natal therapy for getting my body into good shape, flattening my stomach and feeling good again after the birth. It’s such a beautiful arrangement for which I am so grateful! If we were below a certain income level (which we are not), we would also get money every month from the government called “Kinder Geld” to cover expenses for the child from diapers to babysitting services and whatever else. It’s amazing how the German government has these special services in place for families.

So that is my pregnancy update! The moment we find out the gender, I’ll let you know. I can’t wait to begin shopping for adorable little mini outfits. Until now, I’ve purchased nothing for the baby but I’m getting ready to begin ordering sweet stuff the second I know what we’re having. I still don’t have names decided, though I do have a very short list, yet nothing is coming to me yet… Maybe later right? There is still plenty of time!

I’ll be back in a moment with another post or two before I let you go for the weekend. See you soon!

HOW ARE YOU DOING?!?

(image: holly becker)

Posted by decor8 in kids on August 30, 2013

1. Angeli commented
    August 30th, 2013 at 3:57pm

Such a happy, happy post! It’s contagious!

I too had a rough pregnancy – I was always nauseous till the 8th month! Glad to know you have you’re feeling better!

I love your appetite for healthy food!

So excited for you!
    Angeli´s last blog post ..New polymer clay cupcakes

2. Nishtha commented
    August 30th, 2013 at 3:59pm

Old wives tale – you sound like you are having a girl :)

3. Ana commented
    August 30th, 2013 at 4:09pm

Hi, your information on Kindergeld is not correct, it has nothing to do with your income level.

Grüße!

4. Kathrin from Happy Home commented
    August 30th, 2013 at 4:27pm

Holly I am glad you feel better! I loved being pregnant with both of my kids. With my oldest I had a bid McD craving and i would sometimes go for their kids menu, because I thought at least that wasn’t so much. And at the end I went crazy for Milchschnitte. With my little girl I must have eaten 10 big watermelons in the last 2 month. :-)

By the way good news: You will receive Kindergeld no matter what your income is until you child has finished school or university. (if they manage to finish before age 27) And you will receive 12 month Elterngeld if you don’t work (or work less) and Thorsten can receive two months if he stops working. The amount depends on what you earn.

Have a lovely second half. And lots of fun watching Baby TV on Tuesday. I do have a boy and a girl and it is absolutely different but both a totally fabulous. So no matter what: Congratulations!

Happy Week end
    Kathrin
    Kathrin from Happy Home´s last blog post ..Beauty is where you find it #74: Das grosse Licht

5. abl commented
    August 30th, 2013 at 4:35pm

Glad to hear you are feeling better! I lost some weight in the first tri but not as much. I craved salad, that was it. I couldn’t get enough. I also couldn’t handle meat, especially chicken. Couldn’t even stand to have my husband eat chicken next to me. I did find in the 3rd tri that I could eat it if it was cut into very little bites and not grilled. There was something about the char; actually, 4 years later I still can’t enjoy grilled chicken the way I used to.
    Good luck with everything and your appointment!

6. Liz commented
    August 30th, 2013 at 4:42pm

I all sounds great, Holly!
    Another good thing: everyone gets “Kindergeld” in Germany!
    So you can look forward to that, too!
    Best, Liz
    Liz´s last blog post ..Good Times Come in Three

7. Liz commented
    August 30th, 2013 at 4:44pm

@Liz:

I meant “IT all sound great, Holly”
    ;-)
    Liz´s last blog post ..Good Times Come in Three

8. decor8 commented
    August 30th, 2013 at 4:51pm

@Liz – I don’t think so, I read you have to fit a specific income. Where did you find out about this? I want to know if I’m getting money – ha ha!

9. decor8 commented
    August 30th, 2013 at 4:59pm

@Ana – Do you have a link from a website that explains more. I am hearing so many opinions, I just want facts at this point. I read that it was on a sliding scale based on income but our income is too high so we’re not even able to qualify, which stinks. ;(

10. ishtar olivera commented
    August 30th, 2013 at 5:03pm

Hehe so funny about your cravings and so awesome too!!
    I remember on my first pregnancy I hated the taste of water so i had this huge craving for watermelon! I ate one everyday by myself : )
    have a wonderful weekend ahead!!!

11. Kathleen commented
    August 30th, 2013 at 5:08pm

Just google “Merkblatt Kindergeld” – it’s a PDF file from the Bundesagentur für Arbeit and there are all the details about the Kindergeld. It’s a bit complicated (as usual with all this bureaucratic stuff) but maybe someone could help you if you have questions about sth in there.
    This source also explains when a child is elegible for Kindergeld (http://www.arbeitsagentur.de/nn_26532/zentraler-Content/A09-Kindergeld/A091-steuerrechtliche-Leistungen/Allgemein/Anspruchsvoraussetzungen.html) and the most important sentence:
    Grundsätzlich besteht für alle Kinder ab der Geburt bis zur Vollendung des 18. Lebensjahres Anspruch auf Kindergeld. Auch darüber hinaus kann unter bestimmten Voraussetzungen das Kindergeld weiter gezahlt werden.

12. se7en commented
    August 30th, 2013 at 5:18pm

Oh I love this post!!! Happy baby news!!! So excited for you…
    se7en´s last blog post ..Cooking Classes at the House of Se7en + 1… And Printable Recipe Cards!!!

13. Ursula-the crafting gypsy commented
    August 30th, 2013 at 5:39pm

Hello Holly,

just saw the comment about the Kindergeld. I am quite certain that you do gt it – everybody gets it. It is a set amount and I do not think it has to do with how much you earn. You can read more about it here http://www.arbeitsagentur.de/nn_26532/zentraler-Content/A09-Kindergeld/A091-steuerrechtliche-Leistungen/Allgemein/Anspruchsvoraussetzungen.html (in German). You have to “apply” for it – might not be the right English word – at the Arbeitsamt.

Oh, and a little word of advice – even if they can tell you the sex of the baby (I had to wait alot longer because my boy had turned around and did not want to let us see *laugh*) it apparently is not 100% certain. So … if you feel like it just start shopping some gender neutral stuff, just in case. :-)

And I also stopped liking chocolate and sweets during (both) my pregnancies. I used to be a chocoholic – but pretty much could not touch the stuff while I was pregnant. I distinctly remember being in Berlin and throwing away a big bucket of Ben & Jerry’s chocolate ice cream – used to be my favourite before I was pregnant and back then you could only get it in Berlin. My hubby wanted to treat me and got it for me … and I ate a few spoons but … it just did not taste well. :-( I never would have believed that I would ever in my whole life throw away Ben & Jerry’s icecream … Oh boy. Hormones can do weird things to you! ;-)

xox,

Ursula
    Ursula-the crafting gypsy´s last blog post ..Summer sewing – Mermaids by Revoluzzza

14. Holly {Avenue} commented
    August 30th, 2013 at 6:16pm

Yoohoo go the awesome pregnancy cravings!! I am going to make a completely uneducated guess that there’s a little girl in there :) Glad you’re feeling better x
    Holly {Avenue}´s last blog post ..Exciting News + Light Living in London

15. gosia commented
    August 30th, 2013 at 6:47pm

it must be .. a girl! I have 3 boys i each time i felt too fine, no nausious even once…. All the best anyways.

16. Martha commented
    August 30th, 2013 at 6:54pm

The others are right. Everyone with a kid gets kindergeld, it does not depend on the income. Other state payments depend on income, but not Kindergeld. Ask your German husband!

17. JULI commented
    August 30th, 2013 at 7:02pm

In Germany, getting Kindergeld is not dependant on income :-) http://www.bmfsfj.de/BMFSFJ/familie,did=31470.html

18. Wendy commented
    August 30th, 2013 at 7:06pm

HI Holly,
    So very excited for you and your husband! Please forgive my thoughts, as they are not meant to upset and only to help. If you have continued to feel unwell, please make sure your OB/Gyne is checking your blood pressure, and possibly doing more blood tests on you. If you have unusually high blood pressure(which you may not know you have), this can be a pre cursor to something more serious. I worked in Labor&Delivery for years and have some knowledge of this. Some General Practitioners misinterpret those things as morning sickness. Please make sure they are checking your blood pressure too. If you have any questions, you have my email address here. The very best wishes and take care!

19. Alison commented
    August 30th, 2013 at 7:07pm

It is going to be so much fun watching you become a mama and decorate and dress your little one with amazing style. And here’s to hoping you start to feel better. I was also insanely sick throughout my pregnancy (with weight loss, constant vomiting). I even developed gallbladder disease because of the extreme weight loss in the short amount of time. So food became an enemy and that was no fun. Zofran helped a lot. So, I know it is a pain and you have my sympathy! Someone told me that acupuncture helps a lot, but I never tried it. You might if you can.

20. Leo commented
    August 30th, 2013 at 7:16pm
  21. Caro commented
    August 30th, 2013 at 7:40pm

Alle wichtigen Infos ;-)
    Weiterhin alles Gute in der Schwangerschaft und liebe Grüße

22. decor8 commented
    August 30th, 2013 at 7:51pm

@Wendy – I have low pressure and all of my blood work, as of two weeks ago, is absolutely normal. So I’m all set. I just had HG!

23. decor8 commented
    August 30th, 2013 at 7:52pm

@Martha My German husband wouldn’t know this – he has never been a father before. :)

24. Erin commented
    August 30th, 2013 at 8:27pm

Holly, I love to hear about your pregnancy. I’m so happy for you!

xx Erin

25. Trine commented
    August 30th, 2013 at 8:58pm

Yes, every child gets Kindergeld, it has nothing to do with the parents income! Nice, duh? Also, every mother gets AT LEAST 300 € Elterngeld per month for one year (or half of it for two years). You get more, if your average income from the past 12 months was higher than a certain amount, but the 300 € is the least, even students or housewifes get it!
    xo Trine

26. Gretchen commented
    August 30th, 2013 at 10:18pm

So happy that you are starting to feel a little better. :) I bet your baby bump is adorable! That is so great that you are craving healthy foods. I craved gummie bears during my first pregnancy, sauerkraut during my second, and green beans during my third. I made sauerkraut a side dish every night for dinner. Crazy the things you crave when you are pregnant.
    Gretchen´s last blog post ..Back to School Mantel

27. Polly Rowan commented
    August 30th, 2013 at 10:36pm

So exciting! Congrats Holly, I love that we get to keep updated on this on your blog. Even I’m excited to find out the gender!
    Polly Rowan´s last blog post ..RECENTLY …on Instagram

28. Birgit commented
    August 30th, 2013 at 10:39pm

Hi Holly,
    here’s a summary to the matter of child benefit in Germany in English (at least a little bit of it). It’s true, everyone gets it, cause what counts for it is the child not the parents. Maybe that helps:

As mentioned before there’s also Elterngeld, which you can receive for the first 12 to 14 months after your baby’s birth. It’s at least 300 Euro (Mindestbetrag). But it can be up to 1800 Euro – if you stop working or work less. It’s 67 Percent of your income and meant to compensate a lower income, after you had your baby. A higher income doesn’t mean you don’t get Elterngeld, it’s just that there is a maximum limit of how much Elterngeld any parent can get. Here’s another link for info in English:

It’s complicated but well worth it.

Birgit

29. Jessie commented
    August 31st, 2013 at 2:41am

I’m starting to think I need to have a baby in Germany! Good to hear you are feeling better. That’s so funny that your baby is a health nut already!
    Jessie

Jessie´s last blog post ..Friday Favorites #7

30. Samantha commented
    August 31st, 2013 at 2:46am

One of life’s greatest surprises is finding out at birth whether you have a boy or a girl. Maybe I’m old fashioned, but this current need to know ahead of time to decorate a room and shop dispenses with a great joy that is shared between a couple upon their first meeting with their new family member. I wish you all the best, but the anticipation in meeting your new arrival without a set of preconceived/planned expectations based on their sex actually makes the major changes about to occur in your life much smoother. Don’t mean to offend, but have trouble watching people miss out on such a wonderful experience — it’s like opening a beautiful one-of-a-kind gift without knowing what is inside and what it will be like.

31. Kristina commented
    August 31st, 2013 at 3:31am

Hi, Congrats on your new little one (and I’m sure you will only receive happy news on Tuesday), but please keep in mind the ultrasound is not to tell you the sex. It’s to ensure your baby is healthy and has all his/her parts.

32. Michelle commented
    August 31st, 2013 at 10:46am

So great to hear how you are progressing with your pregnancy – I’m really excited for you. Like you I was very unwell in my pregnancy until well into the second half. I did eventually feel good though. Promise me you’ll really make the most of what is a very, very special time – enjoy it and take the best possible care of yourself that you can. I’m afraid I had to wait until the birth to know if mine was a boy or a girl – I just had to keep up the suspense and get the fabulous surprise at the end. But it’s everyone’s to choose on finding out or not – both are great. My partner had this little “theory” to keep me going – he said seeing as the pregnancy had been so awful for so long then the birth would surely be fine – he was right, my luck came in and it went incredibly well. I’ll look forward to keeping up with the news in your posts. XX

33. Margarita Lorenzo commented
    August 31st, 2013 at 12:21pm

Happy to hear all the good news, and good you are only craving health food, i get the impression that i would be the opposite…Yes Germany is amazing on that respect, my sister lives there and she had a very good midwife who helped her. Enjoy the weekend!
    Margarita Lorenzo´s last blog post ..GORGEOUS MISSI THE CAT

34. Dean commented
    August 31st, 2013 at 1:55pm

Really happy for you and glad your enjoying your pregnancy! I’ve been a follower of your blog for years … Ah, motherhood is hard, but you will love every single minute of it (even during the hardships) All the best, Dean x.
    Dean´s last blog post ..Cancelled Plans, A Train Ride and A Birthday Picnic

35. Janelle@awhitefarm commented
    August 31st, 2013 at 2:09pm

Such a special and lovely time for you…enjoy!!!
    Janelle@awhitefarm´s last blog post ..Weekend Baking – Lemon Slice

36. Femke Dekker - ter Meulen commented
    August 31st, 2013 at 3:00pm

HI Holly, really good to hear you are feeling well. It’s such an exciting moment, the 20 weeks ultrascan. Good luck! x Femke
    Femke Dekker – ter Meulen´s last blog post ..My French holiday: A round up!

37. Kate @ Songs Kate Sang commented
    August 31st, 2013 at 6:32pm

I’m so happy for you! :) I can’t wait to find out! If I may, I’d like to put it my guess – I think it is a girl :)
    Kate @ Songs Kate Sang´s last blog post ..First Day of School {2013}

38. Gwen. The Makerista commented
    August 31st, 2013 at 7:41pm

How exciting! I hope baby cooperates and you get a good view on Tuesday! It becomes so much more real when you know the sex of the baby and can start getting things in order. I am so thrilled for you, Holly and am looking forward to seeing how you style your child’s space. It’s such an amazing time in your life, I hope you’re soaking it all in! Happy weekend!
    Gwen. The Makerista´s last blog post ..My Home on It’s Overflowing

39. nell commented
    September 1st, 2013 at 2:19pm

Congratulations!– this all brought back happy memories for me. The ultra sound moment when we found out whether a boy or a girl was very emotional. With my daughter’s pregnancy I was severely nauseated, and craved healthier foods, but also meat, especially cured meats. Very unlike my pregnancy with my son, that was sweets, ice cream, chocolate etc… the opposite. Interestingly, their preferred foods follow my pregnancy cravings, even to this day now that they are teenagers.

My best to you!

40. Melissa de la Fuente commented
    September 1st, 2013 at 3:26pm

Yippee! SO excited for you hunnie! I remember counting the days until this time in my pregnancy so, we could find out what we were having! It truly is the most magical thing in the world. Though I wouldn’t trade the ages my girls are right now, I envy you getting to start from the beginning again. I wish someone would invent a time machine, where you could visit them at every stage, just for a tiny bit. :) Can’t wait to hear! Have a great ( and short) weekend! :)
    xo
    Melis
    Melissa de la Fuente´s last blog post ..Little things

41. Ria commented
    September 1st, 2013 at 8:20pm

Dear Holly,

this post reminds me to my own two pregnancies. It makes me smile, many thanks for it. My kids make me smile every day too, but the time of pregnancy is so special.
    Many greetings, Ria
    Ria´s last blog post ..Wallpaper – vintage found and new “old” ones

42. Nat @ Dear Little House commented
    September 2nd, 2013 at 7:26am

What an exciting time! I am due in just three weeks… It just gets more and more exciting! I never hit that ‘burst of energy’ phase that people talk about either, I have been tired the whole time.
    Nat @ Dear Little House´s last blog post ..The nesting has totally kicked in!

43. Anja commented
    September 2nd, 2013 at 11:49am

Great about only liking healthy Food! I wish that Happens to me When i have a Baby One Day ;-))

Any German knows that Kindergeld is something every Family geht’s, no matter if Millionare or unemployed! Its a great Thing! I dont know how Good your German is, but it you google Kindergeld and Arbeitsamt you wil find Infos. Or ask any neighbor or your Hebamme!

I am excited to Hera more about Baby Becker :-)

44. Wendy commented
    September 2nd, 2013 at 2:26pm

@decor8: Holly! So glad to hear it! I guess I feel like I know you and I care. I am a licensed health care worker in the US and wanted to help.

45. Bikbik & Roro commented
    September 2nd, 2013 at 4:17pm

I’ve been following your lovely blog for some time now, though I’ve not been visiting regularly of late because I very recently had a baby myself! So I was thrilled to see this post of yours — I feel so happy for you. Pregnancy is truly a wonderful, special time — relish it for all it’s worth (but yep, I know what you mean about the “morning” sickness; I actually blogged about my own experience with it here: http://bikbikroro.blogspot.sg/2013/01/thoughts-while-bedbound.html)! Congratulations; you WILL start feeling awesome soon :)

46. Karin commented
    September 2nd, 2013 at 8:52pm

Hi Holly!
    The others already filled you in on the money side of things – it’s a good thing living in a social welfare state! After all we pay into it through taxes etc when we work, so why not reap some rewards, too. And yes, even as a German you have to find out and read up on all of those things…good thing your hubby can do all that! :)
    Best wishes, Karin

47. Kaho commented
    September 3rd, 2013 at 7:44pm

I’m happy to read that you are doing better! What you crave and what turns you off are very similar to my list when I was pregnant with my girls. I am curious to see which gender you will have. I felt queazy all the way to the end. The third trimester was the best for me in terms of how I felt although physically it was tough because the baby grows so much. The very first meal I had right after I gave birth was the best. You’ll love it! Food all of the sudden tastes so wonderful. I’m sure your baby will be the most stylish baby with the clothes you pick. Good luck!!
    Kaho´s last blog post ..Pizza Metro Pizza ☆ Italian Restaurant in Mumbai

48. Charlotte commented
    September 7th, 2013 at 6:40pm

All your cravings are very similar to my own…especially craving melon and especially water melon! I was very ill for 4 months with sickness too. I had a very healthy baby girl…she is now 16! good luck Holly, I’ve followed decor8 for years now and I wish you well x

49. Sandra von 3-ZKB commented
    September 10th, 2013 at 9:03pm

I´m so excited and happy for you and Thorsten. Enjoy every moment! <3

I´m doing great. I have holidays and I am on Mallorca – it´s very relaxing and exactly what I need at the moment.

Keep my fingers crossed for you and love to see you so happy! :-D
    Sandra von 3-ZKB´s last blog post ..Vor die Tür, nach Mallorca (Teil 1)

50. decor8 commented
    September 12th, 2013 at 9:55am

@Sandra THANK YOU! xo

51. Hanna Sandvig commented
    September 12th, 2013 at 5:57pm

Glad you are doing well! I craved watermelon with my second as well. Sadly I also craved McNuggets, which are not at all what I usually eat. Even more sadly, they were just as good as I had hoped.

Honestly, I bought them with cash so my husband wouldn’t harass me about it. Some girls hide shoe purchases…
    Hanna Sandvig´s last blog post ..Alana + Bill

52. Mischmi commented
    September 20th, 2013 at 7:36am

decor8,

But he should still Knowledge it. His Patents received Kindergeld for ihm ;)

53. Kristina commented
    September 23rd, 2013 at 6:45pm

The social system everywhere in Europe is great for becoming a mum. Nothing like US where you have to pay for your giving birth in hospital and you don’t have paid motherhood.

Where I live in Sofia, Bulgaria after your baby is born you are allowed not to work for 2 years and in this period you are receiving the whole sum of your salary (which you had before getting pregnant) every month for the first one year and the national minimum salary for the second year!

54. decor8 commented
    September 23rd, 2013 at 9:44pm

@Mischmi – I don’t think he knows much about that!