Twitter Party Summary + Winner!

Hello again dear friends. Last night we had an amazing LIVE 60 minute Twitter party and it was such a great event. So many showed up and left us blown away with so many thoughtful and informative answers to 5 questions that the editors of Couch Magazine asked me and then the “panel” which consisted of ALL involved in this party, or chat (you can see lots of those who took part pinned here). It was nice because not only could I give my advice but I could enjoy the great comments rapidly streaming in. The chat was so fast but I used Twubs #decor8couch on “Slowest” for the feed speed because tweets were literally flying in!

Ryan Pickart

Here are the questions and my answers for the chat in case you missed it. Couch will do a full summary on their blog in the upcoming weeks.

Where do you find ideas and inspiration? My answers:
* I pay attention to what I naturally respond to. It can be anything, a film, a shop or a magazine. Everything holds a clue.
* Inspiration may be everywhere, but it still takes EFFORT to filter out the good stuff that ultimately means something to you.
* Look inside of every cloud.Inspiration can come in times of great despair. Allow hard times to open your heart to new ideas.
* Many say “inspiration is everywhere” and while true, it does take effort to filter out the good stuff. What inspires you may not inspire me

2) How can you develop your personal style? My answers:
* Develop self confidence and personal style will follow. If you don’t believe in your ideas, how can you share them?
* Filter! Edit! Be picky with what you look at. Follow only those who inspire you, read what inspires you, pin what you love.
* Avoid copying the personal style of someone else or becoming a trend slave. Stay true to what naturally attracts you.
* Style is about being authentic, bold, confident. Embrace what you love, who cares to impress others? Be totally unapologetic
* Be kind to yourself. Learn, and appreciate, your talents. Style flows when you know what you’re good at.
* Read foreign design/fashion mags, travel, follow taste makers, attend workshops with other creative people, start a blog.

3) What are some tips on how to style & photograph your home that would be helpful for bloggers?My answers:
* Find images that fit your style aesthetic and study placement and angles. You can learn a lot through careful observation.
* Learn basic design 101 principles. Buy design books that are very informative and that show rooms you love.
* Top stylists know how to edit or when to stop “adding”. Learn when enough is enough and show restraint for the best photos.
* Display only favorite things and store the rest. Declutter before shooting. Hide cords and trash cans. Clean surfaces.
* Don’t overload surfaces with “stuff”. Find the focal point of the room and focus there. Think of the story you want to tell.
* Shoot from the belly button or waist, not at eye level, when shooting room views. Don’t shoot “down” into a room, or “up”.
* Remove objects that overlap other objects in the photo for cleaner shots. Add life: fowers, a pet, plants, a cup of tea.
* Buy a DSLR if you can afford it then invest in a great lens. Take a photography class. Volunteer to assist a stylist.
* Learn how to REALLY USE your camera. Turn off lights, natural light only. No flash! Use a tripod if lighting isn’t optimal.

4) What makes a room perfect? My answers:
* When I turn the key, drop my bags and stand in my entryway feeling like there is no place I’d rather be than in my space.
* Home decor affects everything: job performance, relationships, stress levels. Not just about aesthetics, but peace of mind.
* When you learn “perfect” doesn’t exist and embrace imperfection as ideal. When you stop trying so hard.When you are content.
* Experiment, express yourself, don’t be afraid to make mistakes. Don’t strive for perfect, strive for personal.
* When a home is unique, personal, and has a feeling of comfort. A space filled with love, acceptance and thoughtful style.
* When a visitor says, “Your home is exactly as I imagined, it’s an accurate reflection of you and decor8, I love it here.”

5) Little changes, huge effect – how can you make small rooms look larger on a budget?My answers:
* Don’t let any space go unused. Consider clever storage ideas. Work with ceiling height to create vertical storage solutions.
* Create zones in multipurpose areas. If living room is also for dining, put a rug beneath each zone to define the space.
* Avoid dark wall colors unless you use a dramatic color on one accent wall. Keep the rest light and bright.
* Avoid furniture that sits against the floor. For an airy feel, opt for pieces with visible legs so you can see the floor.
* Don’t be too stressed over how small your space is. A home is like your body type and wardrobe, accentuate the positives.

That’s it!

WINNER
We also have a winner selected a random, Laura Redburn from Cardboard Cities, who will receive a free seat (valued at $129) in the next Blogging Your Way e-course in October/November this year. In fact the collage above is from her blog and shows the art of Ryan Pickart. Isn’t his work stunning? I cannot take my eyes off of it. Congratulations, Laura!!

Thank you again to everyone who was involved in our chat! xo

If you would like to add your own answers to the questions above, please do so below. We’d all really love your input, too!

(images: art of ryan pickart)

Posted by decor8 in events + markets on August 30, 2013

1. Sarah - Art of Decor Blog commented
    August 30th, 2013 at 7:28pm

Many congratulations to Laura. I just visited her blog and she has lovely illustrations. :)

It was great to read all those wonderful tweets and be a part of it. Congrats to you, Holly and the editors of Couch Magazine. It really meant a lot to so many lovely bloggers out there.

Holly, you are so rightful in saying that home decor is so important in bringing you the piece of mind, because that’s what makes a house a home. :)
    Sarah – Art of Decor Blog´s last blog post ..Recipe: Baked Coffee Cream

2. Kirsti alias Mrs. Popsock commented
    August 30th, 2013 at 8:14pm

Congrats Laura! I`m happy for you although I did hope to win the seat…;) But never mind, congrats again!!

Thanks Holly for the twitter event yesterday, it was just great fun, one had to be sooo quick with reading, responding and watching. It was nice meeting you virtually…

Have a lovely weekend & take good care.

3. Katja commented
    August 31st, 2013 at 6:51am

Hello Holly,
    I really enjoyed in this twitter event reading your answers and the answers from participants. You can always learn something new. Congratulations to the winner, as well.
    Your advices are so simple, real life ones and so informative, I think I’m gonna print them and put in my notebook so I can read them every time I open it. THANK YOU for unselfishly sharing them.
    I have a few questions I’d like to ask:
    1) are you gonna organize some kind of online course for interior styling like you do for blogging – I’d really love that!
    2) can you recommend books that are must haves for everyone in interior design- besides your own which I REALLY LOVE !
    3) can you tell few blogs you read on daily basis
    Thank you in advance for taking your time..ps. Glad to see you are feeling much better with your nausea and in a blink of an eye you are gonna enjoy in your little angel.

4. decor8 commented
    August 31st, 2013 at 9:43am

@Katja

YES definitely – I have a few teachers in mind that I want to work with in addition to my own teaching. :)
    Here are some books that I really love – though I have to update this list – I’ve not updated it in about a year but there are still great titles here:
    3) can you tell few blogs you read on daily basis
    I don’t read blogs DAILY (sadly) due to my limited time online these days, but I do love reading blogs when I can that belong to my friends and those in my field whom I really respect and love.
    I currently read as time permits:
    and recently started getting really into:

5. wendy | beeldsteil commented
    August 31st, 2013 at 3:22pm

Congrats Laura!

And thank you Holly for having us and sharing your answers again. It was so inspiring, but the chat went very fast. Now I can quietly read through your answers. I have had a great time during this twitter event and met some lovely fellow bloggers. I hope it will be continued!

Enjoy your weekend, Wendy
    wendy | beeldsteil´s last blog post ..Picpac Instagram Magnets

6. em commented
    August 31st, 2013 at 9:25pm

this was a super fun twitter event! thanks for organising it and congrats to you and the couch team!

looking forward to the next one :)

7. geraldine commented
    September 1st, 2013 at 1:58am

Congratulations Laura and thanks Holly for a wonderful twitter event. Lots of great advice there. Hope you’ll do another one soon. x
    geraldine´s last blog post ..Designer Zoo in Copenhagen, a cool design concept store

8. Melissa de la Fuente commented
    September 1st, 2013 at 3:16pm

” Style is about being authentic, bold, confident. Embrace what you love, who cares to impress others? Be totally unapologetic.Be kind to yourself. Learn, and appreciate, your talents.” yes, yes, yes. No wonder I adore you and your personal style. :) It always bears repeating, for me. I love my home and there is no place I would rather be but, sometimes I second guess myself or see everything with a critical eye, rather than a grateful one. Also, “When a home is unique, personal, and has a feeling of comfort. A space filled with love, acceptance and thoughtful style.When a visitor says, “Your home is exactly as I imagined, it’s an accurate reflection of you, I love it here.” Absolutely, what I strive for and love hearing from friends and visitors. It makes me happy. Thanks for being a beacon, darlin. Always inspiring.
    xo
    Melis
    Melissa de la Fuente´s last blog post ..Little things

9. Melissa de la Fuente commented
    September 1st, 2013 at 3:17pm

oops….and I LOVE Ryan Pickart’s work! Thanks for the intro!
    xo
    Melis
    Melissa de la Fuente´s last blog post ..Little things

10. anastasia commented
    September 2nd, 2013 at 2:30am

Oh shame – I think we were sound asleep in Australia during your Twitter party…but how beautiful is the artwork in this post – gorgeous!

11. laura redburn // cardboardcities commented
    September 3rd, 2013 at 10:04am

i’m so, happy to have won this! thank you again holly and thank you everyone else. it was SUCH a good twitter chat and i’m so glad i joined in. i loved everyones responses!

and isn’t the work of ryan pickart so dreamy?

12. Katja commented
    September 7th, 2013 at 6:48am

@decor8: Dear Holly, I’ve been following your work for a quite time now and Im very grateful for your respond. I’ve learned so much from you from your posts and thank you for sharing your knowledge. I’m sure I will check on all your recommendations about books and blogs. And looking forward to future online interior design class. Good to see everything is going great with your pregnancy yet don’t forget to take rest as much as you need. xo