Delicious Bites: Fig + Raspberry Frangipane Tarts Recipe

Have you ever tasted Fig and Raspberry Frangipane Tarts before? Hello everyone! Jillian here with this month’s Delicious Bites column for decor8 where I’m going to show you how to make Fig + Raspberry Frangipane Tarts. It’s spring time in Sydney but I know that autumn is coming to the Northern Hemisphere. So for the next few months I’ll be making treats using winter and autumn produce. This month, I decided it was time to make something a little fancier than usual so I combined 2 of my favourite fruits with an almond flavoured filling to make individual fig and raspberry frangipane tarts.

Delicious Bites: Fig + Raspberry Frangipane Tarts

Frangipane is an almond flavoured butter cream and I use it all the time when making fruit tarts. I make different varieties depending on which fruit is in season and use different nuts as well. If figs aren’t in season where you live you can make this with any other kind of berry or soft fruit. Rhubarb, pear or plum frangipane tarts are particularly delicious but if you come up with any other flavour combinations, I’d love to hear them.

Delicious Bites: Fig + Raspberry Frangipane Tarts

Delicious Bites: Fig + Raspberry Frangipane Tarts

I put a layer of jam in the bottom of the tart shell which matches the fruit used to top the tart. I decided to use raspberry jam this time but you could always use fig jam or some other red berry jam. If the thought of making pastry terrifies you, you can always buy pastry from the freezer section of the supermarket and I’ll let you in on a secret, you can make the frangipane tarts without pastry. Just grease and flour some muffin or friand tins and bake the filling in those topped with the fruit and you’ll still end up with a yummy treat. When the tarts come out of the oven I brush the filling with a little jam to make them look glossy.

Delicious Bites: Fig + Raspberry Frangipane Tarts

FIG AND RASPBERRY FRANGIPANE TARTS (makes six 10 cm tarts)

Pastry
Note: The pastry makes enough to line a 23 cm tart shell so there will be some pastry left over. If you’d like to make this into a 23cm/9 inch tart you’ll need to double the filling.
110 g (4 oz) cold unsalted butter, diced
1/4 cup icing sugar (confectioner’s sugar)
1/4 cup almond meal
1 3/4 cups plain flour
1 egg, lightly beaten
Cold water

Frangipane
75 gm (2 1/2 oz) unsalted butter
75 gm (2 1/2 oz) caster sugar
1 large egg
75 gm almond meal
1 tablespoon plain flour
1 tablespoon rum or orange juice
1/4 cup raspberry jam

Topping
6 – 8 figs (depending on size)
1 punnet raspberries
1/4 cup flaked almonds
Thick cream to serve

Optional

Extra raspberry jam

Delicious Bites: Fig + Raspberry Frangipane Tarts

How To:

To make the pastry, combine all the dry ingredients in a food processor, and whiz for a few seconds until well combined and free of lumps. Add the cold butter and whiz until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Add the egg and sufficient cold water and whiz until a soft dough just starts to form around the blade. Remove the dough from the food processor and gather the pastry into a ball; flatten slightly before wrapping in plastic and placing in the fridge. Refrigerate the pastry for 30 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F.

Delicious Bites: Fig + Raspberry Frangipane Tarts

Place the dough onto a lightly floured surface (I use greaseproof paper) and roll out thinly with a rolling pin. Grease six 10 cm loose bottom fluted tartlet tins. Line the six tins with the pastry and trim the edges of the tart tins with a sharp knife. Lightly prick the pastry surface with the tines of a fork and return to the fridge for another 30 minutes. Line the tart shells with muffin liners and fill with pastry weights or uncooked rice. Bake for 10 minutes and then remove paper and weights. Bake for a further 5 minutes or until the shells are golden. Cool the pastry shells on a wire rack. While the tartlet shells are cooling, make the frangipane filling.

Delicious Bites: Fig + Raspberry Frangipane Tarts

Place butter and caster sugar in a food processor and whiz to combine. Add the egg, the almond meal, the flour and the rum or orange juice, then pulse to combine. Spoon 1 – 2 teaspoons of the raspberry jam over the base of the cooled tart shells. Evenly divide the frangipane filling between the tarts and gently spoon over the jam. Place 2 or 3 fig halves cut side up into the frangipane filling. Tuck in a few of the raspberries and sprinkle a few flaked almonds over the tarts.

Delicious Bites: Fig + Raspberry Frangipane Tarts

Place the 6 tartlets onto a baking sheet and place on the middle shelf of the oven. Bake at 190°C/375°F for 30-40 minutes until the frangipane filling has slightly puffed and is golden brown. Baking time will depend on your oven so start checking the tarts after 20 minutes. Remove the tray from the oven and cool the tartlets on a wire rack. Gently remove the tarts from the tins and serve with cream and remaining raspberries. If you like you can glaze the cooked figs and raspberries with some warmed, strained raspberry jam.

Delicious Bites: Fig + Raspberry Frangipane Tarts

I love individual tarts but if you’d like to make one 23cm/9 inch tart, the pastry recipe is enough to line a 23 cm tart shell. You’ll need to make a double batch of the frangipane mixture and you may need to adjust the baking time a little.

I hope you enjoy the tarts. See you all again next month! – Jillian

(images: jillian lieboff)

Posted by decor8 in Delicious Bites on September 04, 2013

1. vanessa commented
    September 4th, 2013 at 11:28am

hi,
    i love the photos and the recipe sounds delicious. Thanks for the inspiration. I might try it next summer here in Germany.

However I would like to express that I find it worrying to see, that you are using berries from USA and French figs. I feel that in our day and age the rule “buy locally and seasonally” should always come first. Exception: it is December and your 92 year old mother really would be sooo happy for fresh raspberries on her gateau. Then I would sneek out and buy 12 imported raspberries for the price of a galon of gas, just to make her smile ;-)

Sorry if I sound negative or like a smart-a**, but I think that choices in shopping are a big part of what we can do to improve the world!

Best,
    Vanessa

2. decor8 commented
    September 4th, 2013 at 1:31pm

@Vanessa – Jillian obviously shot those photos while on two separate trips to France and America – or else the signs and prices would be in Australian English! You don’t sound negative, you just didn’t take the time to ask first so next time, just ask first!

3. vanessa commented
    September 4th, 2013 at 2:31pm

Holly, thank you for the quick and kind answer. After posting I felt bad as ai feared it sounded rude.

You are right, I could have asked about the fruits origins. To be honest, I was a little confused because the price for the berries was in dollar but the writing French. I feel it always sounds so rude if one asks a question or makes a remark that isn´t 100% positive in writing. I we´d be sitting by a table chatting it wouldnt come across as negative.

4. gosia commented
    September 4th, 2013 at 4:25pm

they are killers, at least they look so! btw, what figs do you think go with best?? apples are great with cinnamon, plums with a dot of ammaretto, and FIGS? Any hints,pls?

5. decor8 commented
    September 4th, 2013 at 4:43pm

@Vanessa – It’s ok! No problem!

6. Mimi commented
    September 4th, 2013 at 9:26pm

Sounds like a delicious recipe. I like figs, but have not explored all the fig possibilities. This tart sounds like a great way to start.
    Mimi´s last blog post ..35 Tips For Taking Great Photos of Flowers

7. Maria G. commented
    September 4th, 2013 at 10:12pm

These tarts look so delicious! I like to eat figs raw and I didn`t know that they can be used for baking, especially in combination with raspberries. I like experiments so I`m definitely going to try this recipe this week.
    Maria G.´s last blog post ..How to make an anti-aging mask of snail mucus (it is safe for the snails)

8. Alina Tran commented
    September 4th, 2013 at 11:18pm

Looking forward! They look simply delicious!

9. jillian leiboff commented
    September 4th, 2013 at 11:29pm

@gosia: Hi Gosia, I find figs go well with brown sugar if you serve them grilled and grated orange rind if you serve them cold.

J
    jillian leiboff´s last blog post ..passion fruit bundt cake

10. Kiran @ KiranTarun.com commented
    September 4th, 2013 at 11:34pm

Love individual tarts and when it’s made with frangipane cream and topped with figs, so drool-worthy :)
    Kiran @ KiranTarun.com´s last blog post ..Paneer Tikka with Peach Cilantro Chutney

11. jillian leiboff commented
    September 4th, 2013 at 11:36pm

@vanessa: Hi Vanessa,
    I shot the fruit images in separate locations whilst travelling. The fig images were shot in France and Spain and the raspberries in Quebec hence the French writing but the dollar symbols.

Australian chalk board signs are no where near as decorative as french signs, well at least to my eyes!

J
    jillian leiboff´s last blog post ..passion fruit bundt cake

12. gosia commented
    September 5th, 2013 at 3:15pm

@jillian leiboff: thanks Jillian! I’ll give it a try – sounds utterly interesting!

13. Jillian Leiboff commented
    September 5th, 2013 at 9:10pm

@Maria G.: Hi Maria, fig tarts are lovely. I hope you enjoy them.

J
    Jillian Leiboff´s last blog post ..passion fruit bundt cake

14. Jillian Leiboff commented
    September 5th, 2013 at 9:11pm

@Mimi: Hi Mimi, they’re also great in salads.

J
    Jillian Leiboff´s last blog post ..passion fruit bundt cake

15. Ana commented
    September 5th, 2013 at 10:33pm

Delicious

16. Marjory commented
    September 5th, 2013 at 10:49pm

I grew up eating figs from my garden. Love love love!
    Marjory´s last blog post ..Journey to the Sacred. Finding Sanctuary on the Inca Trail.

17. Juliana commented
    September 10th, 2013 at 7:33pm

This looks delicious, Jillian! I love the flavor combination.

18. marie commented
    September 17th, 2013 at 2:20pm

I made these and they were delicious, especially the crust!
    I did not entirely respect what you said about waiting for the crusts to cool a bit before filling them because it felt like a waste to turn the oven off and then on again. But I don’t think it changed anything in the end.
    I will surely make these again, thanks a lot for the recipe.

19. Jillian Leiboff commented
    September 18th, 2013 at 10:47am

marie, So great to hear they turned out well. The pastry is a keeper. I now use it for all my sweet tarts,

J