Interior Inspiration From VTWonen

I love reading the vtwonen blog, a Dutch magazine that I’ve been subscribing to for eons now, because I always find some fresh interpretations of trends and themes that I thought had long faded. I also love how the Dutch use lots of older things in very modern interiors – like these oil paintings and this antique cabinet, for instance…

Interior Inspiration From The Netherlands

They really seem to have a thing for revitalizing what’s old and grandmotherly and transforming it into a very youthful, energetic new look that often becomes part of a trend movement. Take beige for example. So often disregarded or dubbed BORING. Such a shame! It is a warm and versatile neutral that has loads of potential. If you are really creative, you can work with all colors and create something beautiful I believe. I often wonder why some put beige in the corner with a cone hat on, it’s not naughty in the least. If anything, outside of gray, it’s a perfect neutral. At least that’s my belief. These photos below are such a fitting visual example of what I’m trying to say. Beige can be so warm, relaxed and when paired with various tones of brown and white, can create a most soothing space to find comfort and peace.

Interior Inspiration From The Netherlands

Interior Inspiration From The Netherlands

Interior Inspiration From The Netherlands

I always encourage venturing outside of your own comfort zone, even if it means visiting websites that you think you’d have no interest in, because suddenly you can see something and BOOM, a new world appears before you. It’s super important to go beyond what you know, isn’t it? Your creative ideas can begin to stagnant otherwise.

Interior Inspiration From The Netherlands

Interior Inspiration From The Netherlands

Interior Inspiration From The Netherlands

All of these lovely rooms were shot for vtwonen and now appear in back issues and on their website. Looking to different cultures to see what inspires them can help us all to see our interior world a little differently. I love the style in each of these places and hope that you’ll refer to vtwonen for more inspiration because they certainly have tons of it packed onto their gorgeous site. I love these felted ivory beads shown below. Or perhaps they are wooden? I have the felted version hanging in my living room in a similar fashion, you may have spotted them in my most recent book. I’ve been looking for a new way to use them and this image below gave me a few good ideas. That’s what I mean, keep your eyes OPEN and see what you can find in rooms from magazines that look similar to your current stuff at home – perhaps you’ll discover a new direction for the things that you own. I always do.

Interior Inspiration From The Netherlands

Interior Inspiration From The Netherlands

Interior Inspiration From The Netherlands

Any impressions so far that give you a dose of inspiration? I’m in love with this house and with this house, both are located in Amsterdam. They are my two favorites from the batch.

Interior Inspiration From The Netherlands

What draws me to each of these homes is the naturalness. What draws you? I love the harmony in both palette and material – both are soothing and easy to change up and the natural materials make me feel at one with nature. I can imagine feeling peace and joy in these spaces. Are you attracted to this natural style?

(images: vtwonen magazine)

Posted by decor8 in inspiration on September 27, 2013

1. Melanie commented
    September 27th, 2013 at 12:26pm

Liebe Holly!

Wunderschöne Inspirationen hast du gesammelt ! Ich mag jeden einzelnen dieser Räume sehr gern.

Liebe Grüße aus Wien,
    Melanie
    Melanie´s last blog post ..Preview Weihnachten mit Frl. Klein { Give Away}

2. Katja/ Neovia house commented
    September 27th, 2013 at 12:37pm

I love Dutch interiors too. They are just incredible skillful in creating relaxed, simple, interesting and attractive schemes, with that extra little twist.
    I have always liked natural interiors, because I am a down-to-earth, nature loving person. I have gone from neutral colours to fresh colours like aqua and green, but now I seem to be back to the neutrals again, mostly grey
    (like this: http://www.neovias.blogspot.fi/2013/09/shades-of-grey.html)
    I still like to throw in some accent color though.
    Katja/ Neovia house´s last blog post ..Earth Colours

3. ishtar commented
    September 27th, 2013 at 1:26pm

very soothing and those sudden splashes of colors are brillant!
    ishtar´s last blog post ..Photo Backgrounds- Fondos para fotos

4. Lucy Chen commented
    September 27th, 2013 at 1:42pm

Yes, I like the natural style. I like many styles.

But after reading your book, Holly, I discovered what I really LOVE is to have vibrant complimentary colours in my home!
    Lucy Chen´s last blog post ..What Children Think About Getting Old (and Don’t Let Life Buzz You By)

5. Heather B commented
    September 27th, 2013 at 1:53pm

These are lovely! I may have an aversion to the word “beige” because, after living in suburbia for part of the 80′s, it conjures up “contractor beige” with its beige walls, beige polyester carpeting, and beige appliances. However, this reinterpretation of beige is very nice. Maybe the color needs a new name like “cafe au lait” or “almond milk?”
    Heather B´s last blog post ..Perfect is in Your Mind

6. Becky commented
    September 27th, 2013 at 2:02pm

Such lovely homes! They all look like the perfect places to relax and get away from manic life! And thank you for defending beige; our house is on its way to being painted all cream and beige. I find our house quite dark and I struggle with too many colours going on, so creams are perfect. They’re timeless and classic, and so much easier to update with trends without having to redo a whole scheme.

7. Katie commented
    September 27th, 2013 at 2:07pm

What beautifully calm, inviting homes. I can dream…. The corner seating sofas and bench look so cosy, I would love one for the whole family to snuggle up on when the nights draw in. This natural style is right up my street but so hard to get right.

8. Chelsea commented
    September 27th, 2013 at 2:14pm

Thanks for sharing, this is such an amazing blog!! Can’t believe I’ve never seen it before. So much inspires me in the above pictures. I especially love the third image, with all the natural materials of wool, wood and wicker, such a cosy and tactile space. The little collection of vases with the brass vase with branches in it is such a simple and beautiful arrangement too. I am really into natural materials and colours at the moment, browns and beiges when combined with wood and wicker can look so lovely. Poor beige it does get a bad rep, it’s people who use it boringly not the actual colour that is.

Chelsea

9. decor8 commented
    September 27th, 2013 at 3:04pm

@Heather B – Yes, perhaps we should rename it!

10. Francine from Callaloo Soup commented
    September 27th, 2013 at 3:22pm

I LOVE beige. These images are a wonderful inspiration, and very timely, because I want to use these kind of colours for our living room for Fall and Winter.
    Francine from Callaloo Soup´s last blog post ..Inspired Fridays | Work is Play

11. Mina commented
    September 27th, 2013 at 3:41pm

Wow! Gorgeous spaces. Very inspirational. I wish this was more of the style in the States.
    Mina´s last blog post ..Bohemian Wednesday – Scandinavian Boho – 09.25.2013

12. Marjory commented
    September 27th, 2013 at 4:34pm

Beautiful. I love the organic materials and soothing palette of whites and earth tones. So much light and spaciousness and connection to nature. A much more breathable space!
    Marjory´s last blog post ..Beyond Decor | The Soul of your Space

13. Petra commented
    September 27th, 2013 at 4:46pm

Yes I love this! I especially like the green wall behind the shelves.
    I can only dream about a house like this : )

14. Lena commented
    September 27th, 2013 at 4:51pm

I also read that blog and I also read the magazine. I live in Amsterdam and found this lovely magazine a few months ago.

It is in Dutch, but we mostly look at the photos anyways, right.
    I like it , cause it inspires, like you say Holly. Great imagery.

xoxo, Lena
    from mahalolena.com
    Lena´s last blog post ..Things I loved #week38

15. tinajo commented
    September 27th, 2013 at 5:11pm

These photos are all fab, love it!
    tinajo´s last blog post ..Happy weekend sweeties!

16. Bunny commented
    September 27th, 2013 at 6:40pm

You’re so right about finding inspiration in things you never would have considered before. For instance, I would never have put grey and beige together but it totally works in one of the pictures – refreshing!

17. Pippi commented
    September 27th, 2013 at 8:15pm

Belle lumiėre, jolie tablette de couleurs… Très inspirant!

18. Hannah commented
    September 27th, 2013 at 9:15pm

These are such lovely rooms! They all look so beautiful! All the white makes everything look so simple and clean. Great job!

19. Eva commented
    September 27th, 2013 at 10:29pm

I love Vtwonen too. I also love two other magazines we have over here in Holland. Ariadne at Home and 101 woonideeën (101 living ideas). The all have their own style. I especially love Ariadne. The have a little more brocante or romantic feel and have great diy ideas in every isue. I can look at the ideas from past issues for ever on their website http://www.ariadneathome.nl/category/ideeengids-menu. It is in Dutch so if you ever need a translation… Mein Deutsch is nicht so gut wie es ermahls war but my Englisch is just fine.

My mother lives in Germany just over the border and I have been wondering for a while about some good german blogs and magazines about interior design. Can you reccommend any? I still can read German :).

20. Leanne commented
    September 28th, 2013 at 8:27am

I love the chunky floating shelves in the last photo. In general, I love neutral colours – I love the feeling of light and airiness they bring to a room. I love the contrast with native timbers either in the flooring or by using wooden furniture, so this blog post is a winner for me.

21. Yuri commented
    September 29th, 2013 at 8:19am

such a beautiful place!

22. Eddy commented
    September 30th, 2013 at 3:06am

Like this white minimal spaces with some old-fashion additions
    Eddy´s last blog post ..Martha

23. Margarita Lorenzo commented
    September 30th, 2013 at 12:38pm

Totally taken by this interiors, as we share very much the same principle when it comes to decorating. Love the old cabinets, the paintings, the white wall…
    Margarita Lorenzo´s last blog post ..CHOCOLATE CREATIVE AT MOLLIE MAKES HOME MAGAZINE

24. Sally commented
    September 30th, 2013 at 9:19pm

This is an interesting post. It’s something about that word ‘beige’ ! But if I think of the color of natural linen or light oak or scrubbed wood or parchment then it sounds like a great color to use as a foil for whites or brights.

25. Leanne Edwards commented
    September 30th, 2013 at 11:50pm

This combination of traditional and contemporary pieces create such unique and interesting rooms. I love the contrast in the different materials and textures. It also works well in any home despite its age or character. I love this style!

26. Nerida commented
    October 1st, 2013 at 7:47am

In the loungeroom image, there is amazing portrait of a women. Would you know who the artist is????

(p.s I would very much like this house.!!)

27. Roberta Beyer commented
    October 1st, 2013 at 3:50pm

Thank you for this wonderful piece. I feel more relaxed beginning my work day just having looked at the photos.

28. kalanicut commented
    October 1st, 2013 at 7:02pm

Ha, Holly we must be on the same wavelength today. I was just thinking a little while earlier about the benefits of reading blogs that aren’t really my style. Yes, there is inspiration to be found. Thank for feeding & encouraging those thoughts. Lots to love in these homes. I love the mix or painted and natural woods & I’m gaga for concrete countertops. The pillows & comfy spots for curling up make me want to grab a cup of tea & a magazine and jump right into the photos. I love that look down on that gorgeous dining table too. Thanks for the great eye candy & deeper thoughts today.
    kalanicut´s last blog post ..Knitting: Eternity Scarf

29. Silvia - Mundanal Ruido commented
    October 1st, 2013 at 7:22pm

Yes, I absolutely like this style, in fact, this is also the style of my home. I love clear an bright spaces, with big windows, and natural wood. Instead of the bead I have a set of photographs hanging in this way.

I enjoy so much your post, thank for sharing! :)
    Silvia – Mundanal Ruido´s last blog post ..Postcards sets & Pocket Mirrors

30. Eloise@Rustic White commented
    October 1st, 2013 at 9:03pm

Thank you for introducing me to vtwonen. Full of inspirational imagery :)

31. Sarah commented
    October 1st, 2013 at 9:19pm

Oh I love Vtwonen ever so much! I first discovered it over 10 years ago (I think) on a trip to Amsterdam. I couldn’t read a word of it, but I would go back to the issue over and over just to glean every little bit of inspiration from it. The interiors offer such a different creative perspective than American interiors- especially 10 years ago! I’m so happy they have an online presence now so we can all enjoy the beauty of Vtwonen without having to hop on a plane! Although I would hop on a plane to Amsterdam any day… Magical city that it is.

32. Aileen@AtHomeinLove commented
    October 1st, 2013 at 9:31pm

LOVE this post and every single one of these photos. Simple, beautiful, not too trendy or cluttered, they feel serene and homey and stylish all at once.
    Aileen@AtHomeinLove´s last blog post ..September Instagrams

33. Jenni commented
    October 2nd, 2013 at 10:34am

Thank you for the impressions, Holly! I really love the knitted pillows! This autumn/winter I´ll try to start knitting for myself. I´m very intent if that.
    Jenni´s last blog post ..Blickfang in Hamburg

34. Mimi commented
    October 2nd, 2013 at 7:45pm

Great post. I love learning about blogs and websites from other countries. Visited vtwonen as a result and look forward to checking back in with them from time to time for new ideas for my blog and boutique flower shop.
    Mimi´s last blog post ..Fascinating Floral Artistry in Yonkers, New York

35. Two Little Birdies commented
    October 3rd, 2013 at 12:55pm

Love the wooden kitchen table featured in the 2nd photo. Really loving the Dutch style x

36. Sarah commented
    October 3rd, 2013 at 7:54pm

Truly gorgeous interiors – I need inspiration as I’m sure everyone does – thanks! ;-)
    Sarah´s last blog post ..Best of MI…Dreaming of white…

37. Marie Nichols commented
    October 3rd, 2013 at 8:36pm

VT Wonen has long been a source of inspiration for me, love Scandi interiors mags, Simple and effortlessly beautiful.
    Marie Nichols´s last blog post ..Australian Country Style {Kids Craft}

38. Callan Sundberg commented
    October 4th, 2013 at 4:25pm

I am drooling over the ceilings, beams and natural light in that space!
    Also, thanks for introducing vtwonen to my life! looks like a great source of inspiration.