Domino Magazine Returns October 8th!

I’m so thrilled that Domino magazine has been relaunched and my hope is that it’s better than ever before! It already looks quite promising based on the website alone (love this gift guide!) — with their first print issue returning to newsstands October 8. I’m certain it will perform amazingly well given that no other magazine was able to successfully replace it since its demise four years ago. So many of us missed this publication!

Domino Magazine Is Back!

I was once an online columnist for Domino and for several years I helped produce trend reports and round ups under my editor, Cathy Halley. I was at a loss for words when my job was cut and they folded which was during, at least I thought, a time when they were the most popular ever. To this day, it remains a mystery why Conde Nast made that decision but I’m so glad that things have turned around for the better and that Domino is back to show us what the next face of the mag will look like.

Domino Magazine Is Back!

Domino Magazine Is Back!

Domino Magazine Is Back!

Domino Magazine Is Back!

Under the lead of editor-in-chief Michelle Adams, who will fill the shoes of the former EIC Deborah Needleman, Michelle has some great ideas on how to merge new media with print by taking the magazine in a fresh direction — including the ability to shop directly from its pages. That was always something that I felt was sorely lacking with the original Domino because I wanted to buy so many things that I saw yet it was extremely challenging to source them. Michelle was the former founding editor of Lonny, a successful digital decorating magazine that is still going strong, but left Lonny to pursue a new direction – to lead Domino!

Domino Magazine Is Back!

Domino Magazine Is Back!

Domino Magazine Is Back!

Here’s to a successful relaunch of Domino and I wish Michelle the absolute best with her magazine – and hope so badly that some of the original staffers return, too. I would simply love the return of Tori Mellot (who has since had twin daughters and is the design editor for Traditional Home magazine) because I adored her trend reports.

Domino Magazine Is Back!

Domino Magazine Is Back!

Domino Magazine Is Back!o_522795279ac35fd77d7b7791

What do YOU think? Are you happy with this news? What would you like the NEW Domino to include?

-Holly

(photos: domino mag)

Posted by decor8 in inspiration on October 04, 2013

1. Melissa de la Fuente commented
    October 4th, 2013 at 6:40pm

SO SO excited! I love that they have been missed so much & now will be back! I can NOT wait! woo hoo! :)
    xoxo
    Melis
    Melissa de la Fuente´s last blog post ..Little things & Little moments

2. AREEJ AHMED commented
    October 4th, 2013 at 6:44pm

absolutely lovely place!!! Could you please tell the shade of white used on the walls?

3. Katja/ Neovia house commented
    October 4th, 2013 at 7:09pm

Thanks for the tip! I did not know about this magazine before. Lovely pictures in this post!
    Katja/ Neovia house´s last blog post ..White and Pretty

4. Marianne commented
    October 4th, 2013 at 7:19pm

I learned about Domino after they stopped, I think from you. I bought their book though. You have always been so enthusiastic about the magazine that I am looking forward to it. I noticed that it can only be bought in the US. I hope they will change that soon. I registered I am looking forward to take a look at their old issues.

5. Mia commented
    October 4th, 2013 at 7:25pm

This is the most wonderful news! I saved every copy of Domino that I ever bought and was devastated when the magazine folded! Cheers to a bright new beginning!

6. Tania Welch commented
    October 4th, 2013 at 7:25pm

I am over the moon excited! I still have my entire collection of Domino magazines. So happy to hear that soon I will be able to add more. October 8 is my birthday. I now know of a little gift I will be giving to myself. :)

Warmly,
    Tania Welch

7. Arianna Belle commented
    October 4th, 2013 at 7:44pm

It’s actually out on newstands now! Just went out and got my copy earlier today. It’s soooo good!

8. valentina commented
    October 4th, 2013 at 8:15pm

great news!!!!!!! I love Domino Book and I would love if it were sold in Italy!

9. Kayla commented
    October 4th, 2013 at 8:23pm

Do we know where that coffee table is from in the first photo? Love!

10. laura redburn commented
    October 4th, 2013 at 8:56pm

how exciting! and what fantastic photos, too.
    laura redburn´s last blog post ..snapshots of my week – 4th october

11. judy lake commented
    October 4th, 2013 at 9:25pm

How Exciting! Best news of this crazy week!
    thanks.
    judy lake´s last blog post ..Crafty Girl 1975-2013

12. Sarah commented
    October 4th, 2013 at 9:35pm

Yes Holly, I am so, so thrilled. I’ve been in love with the magazine since the very first issue in 2005 and was quite disappointed when it folded. The Domino that I’ve seen since then in print and online hasn’t quite captured the flair of the original Domino–it’s kind of like something is missing. So I’m so excited that they decided to bring it back full force. Can’t wait to see it.

13. Elana Kilkenny commented
    October 4th, 2013 at 10:53pm

Thrilled to hear about this. Like many of you I loved Domino magazine and have also kept every copy of the magazine. I share your hopes Holly that some of the original staff come back like Tori and Dara C. I have yet to see a magazine that is filled page-to-page with such wonderful inspiration, beauty and resources. I look forward to new content and to seeing what Michelle Adams brings in terms of a fresh outlook. It is nice to see in this world where so much can be deemed as replaceable that some things that were truly special have a second or third life…

14. kristin commented
    October 4th, 2013 at 11:54pm

I’m so excited to see what new things they have in store for us! I still have every single one of the old issues (and purchased the quarterlies though I wasn’t as pleased with those), so I can’t wait to keep adding to my stack!
    kristin´s last blog post ..october desktop

15. Desha Peacock commented
    October 5th, 2013 at 12:06am

Domino was my favorite, I’m siked to hear it’s back! Very cool!
    Desha Peacock´s last blog post ..Sneak Peak: New Website Plans & Social Suzi Giveaway!

16. Glenda Childers commented
    October 5th, 2013 at 2:10am

This is such great news.

Fondly,
    Glenda
    Glenda Childers´s last blog post ..New Title … Same Glenda

17. Jojo YEUNG commented
    October 5th, 2013 at 2:43am

Wow, I miss domino! It used to be the most exciting thing I was looking forward to every month. Welcome back.

18. lookslikewhite commented
    October 5th, 2013 at 3:06am

Sooo happy!! My favourite magazine. Still have all the back issues..Thanks for letting us know Holly!
    lookslikewhite´s last blog post ..Shabby Romantic Mix

19. Susan Corner commented
    October 5th, 2013 at 4:52am

I’ll only get excited when they do international shipping.

Don’t leave us faraway readers hanging DOMINO!

;)

20. Kim commented
    October 5th, 2013 at 8:25am

I’m absolutely thrilled they are coming back! Loved their fresh take on design! I still have all mine from before! Can’t wait!
    Kim´s last blog post ..and their back…

21. Desirae @moidesigns commented
    October 5th, 2013 at 8:45am

Very happy! I just love (or loved, but now I can say love-present tense), this magazine. I can’t wait to pick it up!

22. Maggie commented
    October 5th, 2013 at 9:47am

So ecstatic about this news! I always loved Domino for its accessible design and sourcing of affordable products. I have been seeing news of this relaunch popping up everywhere. I am so excited I shared it on my own blog as well. Can’t wait to see the new issue and do some shopping!

23. Nick Carter commented
    October 5th, 2013 at 10:38am

Who shot the photographs ? Why is the photographer not given a credit ?

24. Merissa commented
    October 5th, 2013 at 1:15pm

Yes!!! Oh my goodness I am looking forward to this! There has not been another magazine to replace Domino and I am so happy they’ll be back. I would love to see more of the spaces where artists and creatives all do their stuff. Their inspiration boards, their supplies, their creative mess, yes I would love to see that.
    Merissa´s last blog post ..New at the shop!

25. decor8 commented
    October 5th, 2013 at 1:50pm

@Nick – Why don’t you ask Domino that question, they don’t have their photographers listed on their website with imagery so that’s a question you can take to them.

26. Tracy O'Brien commented
    October 5th, 2013 at 4:04pm

Yay!!I have a few back issues of Domino that I have coveted for years…I can’t seem to toss them out. I look forward to adding to my collection!

27. tinajo commented
    October 5th, 2013 at 5:13pm

How fun, will be nice to see it!
    tinajo´s last blog post ..A day in the Swedish forest

28. Nicola commented
    October 5th, 2013 at 5:40pm

Yeah, I just discovered it via Instagram today and I’m pretty happy about this. Maybe I will do a new subscription.

29. Trisha Brink commented
    October 5th, 2013 at 6:17pm

I am SO excited!! I own every issue from before… & like you… was stunned when they pulled the plug. Like all great things, they were ahead of their time…hoping it’s great (or better) than before!! Yay!! ;)
    Trisha Brink´s last blog post ..Fall for Autumn on the Porch!

30. Faith commented
    October 5th, 2013 at 6:29pm

Already snagged a copy!! Hubby picked one up at JFK so guess they’re on newsstands already!! Awesome!! so happy they’re back!

31. Angela Ridge commented
    October 5th, 2013 at 9:05pm

Where can I get my hands on one? I live in Belgium by the way!

32. Ella commented
    October 5th, 2013 at 9:05pm

I am thrilled! Thank you Holly for sharing this with us~ I love trend reports and being able to buy what I see. Yes, whose photos?! They are gorgeous~
    Ella´s last blog post ..Somerset Life

33. Liz commented
    October 6th, 2013 at 5:22am

Thrilled! I was so sad to see it go before. Very excited to see what Michelle Adams will bring to it, as Lonny was my favorite substitute for Domino. :)

34. Joselyn@thediypot commented
    October 6th, 2013 at 5:50am

You made my day with this announcement. I can’t wait for the first issue! Thanks for the heads up.

35. Brianne commented
    October 6th, 2013 at 6:36am

YAY! I loved Domino and still have all my old issues. So excited to hear it’s coming back -fabulous news!

36. Sarah commented
    October 6th, 2013 at 3:23pm

It is good news, but apparently didn’t get a great review in the NY Times last week and if I’m correct, I saw it on the newsstands for $12.00 – which I feel is a ridiculous price now that mags are digital. I will check it out. ;-)
    Sarah´s last blog post ..Olivia Newton John’s kitchen…

37. decor8 commented
    October 6th, 2013 at 4:30pm

@Sarah – Yeah I read that but honestly, the NYTimes is just the opinion of one reporter who, through the article, I could tell already had an opinion about Ms. Adams long before writing the article. These are always the articles I take with a grain of salt.

38. Avery commented
    October 6th, 2013 at 5:58pm

I am avid amateur decorator and help friends and family when it comes to making the most of their living spaces. I still have ALL of my old issues of Domino, including the original first issue with Carolina Herrera, Jr. on the cover. I also own the Domino Decorating guide. I constantly refer back to those magazines and the book for inspiration. I hope that I can find a copy of it locally next week when it is released. I also hope that Sarah Ruffin Costello makes a return to the magazine.

39. Polly Rowan commented
    October 6th, 2013 at 7:54pm

How exciting! Looks like it’s going to be a good read!
    Polly Rowan´s last blog post ..New York City

40. yania mena commented
    October 6th, 2013 at 8:08pm

Im so happy to hear that, can’t wait !!

41. Patia commented
    October 7th, 2013 at 7:45am

Whaaat??? I’m soooo happy to hear this!

42. anastasia commented
    October 7th, 2013 at 2:04pm

oh that is great news – I love ‘Domino’ and still have some of my back issues!!
    anastasia´s last blog post ..a long weekend…

43. Pamela Bates/Bates Mercantile Co. commented
    October 7th, 2013 at 2:55pm

well, considering I still have a giant stack of all my old domino issues AND even did a blog post about missing it [http://batesmercantileco.blogspot.com/2011/06/does-anyone-else-miss-domino-magazine.html], I have to say this news (which there have been rumors of for quote awhile with the online presence) makes me very happy. love domino. I think, in part, because all of the design domino featured seemed somehow accessible. you could picture it in your home.
    Pamela Bates/Bates Mercantile Co.´s last blog post ..Silent Sunday

44. Clarisse commented
    October 7th, 2013 at 5:00pm

I’m excited to see the new issue of Domino!!! I wish we can get it in my country, but I will definitely look for someone to buy it for me in the US. I love Domino. I have all the back issues. I checked out their website and noticed though that the new Domino looks a lot like the old Lonny. Has anyone noticed this too?

45. aolmp commented
    October 7th, 2013 at 9:30pm

Happy to see the magazine is back. What about subscriptions offers

46. Anna Cruz commented
    October 7th, 2013 at 11:35pm

beautiful rooms, and great photography. I am excited about relaunch of Domino magazine, I had a subscription when it stopped publication a few years back I still kept the old magazines, just loved the magazine
    Anna Cruz´s last blog post ..Beautiful Display ideas with vintage pieces

47. mel commented
    October 8th, 2013 at 2:42am

Hi Anastasia, I’m wondering how I can get a copy of it in this side of the world? I’ve checked out the website but can’t find any info… M x
    mel´s last blog post ..Summer Meatballs

48. mel commented
    October 8th, 2013 at 2:47am

Looks like a gorgeous issue Holly. That second last image of the small living room is just stunning, I love all of the cushions on the sofa and the three rugs(?) with the frames above and collages. Quite surprising how so much going on works so well in a small room.
    mel´s last blog post ..Summer Meatballs

49. kate granado commented
    October 8th, 2013 at 6:30am

I am thrilled, I would devourer domino every month and was shocked when they pulled it, so put me in the happy column.

50. Baisli commented
    October 9th, 2013 at 6:36am

Domino has an in-house photographer, Brittany Ambridge.

51. decor8 commented
    October 9th, 2013 at 11:13am

@Baisli – And also Michelle’s boyfriend, too right?

52. Nycol commented
    October 12th, 2013 at 3:38am

I am thrilled, this is hands down my favorite magazine. I still look back on the old issues. I Look forward to what you guys have in store.

53. The Style Page commented
    October 20th, 2013 at 3:32am

I went to 3 newsstands and finally found the new Domino at the local supermarket. I remember the old Domino as warm and a little funky. The new one seems a bit “cold.”

54. decor8 commented
    October 21st, 2013 at 2:56pm

@The Style Page – I just got my copy and it felt very traditional so I’m not too sure what to think yet…

55. Rachely Mota commented
    October 23rd, 2013 at 11:10pm

I totally love this page!

56. Rachely Mota commented
    October 23rd, 2013 at 11:12pm

I like your page! You should visit my website , I hoped you would like it ♥

57. Jo Rodgers commented
    March 5th, 2014 at 2:35am

Just saw domino while grocery shopping today…was so excited I ended my shopping right then. Still look through my old dominos about once a month because it is the best decorating magazine I have ever subscribed to…so happy to be receiving it again…