Inspiration

October 4, 2013

I’m so thrilled that Domino magazine has been relaunched and my hope is that it’s better than ever before! It already looks quite promising based on the website alone (love this gift guide!) — with their first print issue returning to newsstands October 8. I’m certain it will perform amazingly well given that no other magazine was able to successfully replace it since its demise four years ago. So many of us missed this publication!

Domino Magazine Returns October 8th!

I was once an online columnist for Domino and for several years I helped produce trend reports and round ups under my editor, Cathy Halley. I was at a loss for words when my job was cut and they folded which was during, at least I thought, a time when they were the most popular ever. To this day, it remains a mystery why Conde Nast made that decision but I’m so glad that things have turned around for the better and that Domino is back to show us what the next face of the mag will look like.

Domino Magazine Returns October 8th!

Under the lead of editor-in-chief Michelle Adams, who will fill the shoes of the former EIC Deborah Needleman, Michelle has some great ideas on how to merge new media with print by taking the magazine in a fresh direction — including the ability to shop directly from its pages. That was always something that I felt was sorely lacking with the original Domino because I wanted to buy so many things that I saw yet it was extremely challenging to source them. Michelle was the former founding editor of Lonny, a successful digital decorating magazine that is still going strong, but left Lonny to pursue a new direction – to lead Domino!

Domino Magazine Returns October 8th!

Here’s to a successful relaunch of Domino and I wish Michelle the absolute best with her magazine – and hope so badly that some of the original staffers return, too. I would simply love the return of Tori Mellot (who has since had twin daughters and is the design editor for Traditional Home magazine) because I adored her trend reports.

Domino Magazine Returns October 8th!

What do YOU think? Are you happy with this news? What would you like the NEW Domino to include?

-Holly

(photos: domino mag)

You Might Also Like

57 Comments

• Reply Melissa de la Fuente October 4, 2013 at 6:40 pm

SO SO excited! I love that they have been missed so much & now will be back! I can NOT wait! woo hoo! :)
    xoxo
    Melis

• Reply AREEJ AHMED October 4, 2013 at 6:44 pm

absolutely lovely place!!! Could you please tell the shade of white used on the walls?

• Reply Katja/ Neovia house October 4, 2013 at 7:09 pm

Thanks for the tip! I did not know about this magazine before. Lovely pictures in this post!

• Reply Marianne October 4, 2013 at 7:19 pm

I learned about Domino after they stopped, I think from you. I bought their book though. You have always been so enthusiastic about the magazine that I am looking forward to it. I noticed that it can only be bought in the US. I hope they will change that soon. I registered I am looking forward to take a look at their old issues.

• Reply Mia October 4, 2013 at 7:25 pm

This is the most wonderful news! I saved every copy of Domino that I ever bought and was devastated when the magazine folded! Cheers to a bright new beginning!

• Reply Tania Welch October 4, 2013 at 7:25 pm

I am over the moon excited! I still have my entire collection of Domino magazines. So happy to hear that soon I will be able to add more. October 8 is my birthday. I now know of a little gift I will be giving to myself. :)

Warmly,
    Tania Welch

• Reply Arianna Belle October 4, 2013 at 7:44 pm

It’s actually out on newstands now! Just went out and got my copy earlier today. It’s soooo good!

• Reply valentina October 4, 2013 at 8:15 pm

great news!!!!!!! I love Domino Book and I would love if it were sold in Italy!

• Reply Kayla October 4, 2013 at 8:23 pm

Do we know where that coffee table is from in the first photo? Love!

• Reply laura redburn October 4, 2013 at 8:56 pm

how exciting! and what fantastic photos, too.

• Reply judy lake October 4, 2013 at 9:25 pm

How Exciting! Best news of this crazy week!
    thanks.

• Reply Sarah October 4, 2013 at 9:35 pm

Yes Holly, I am so, so thrilled. I’ve been in love with the magazine since the very first issue in 2005 and was quite disappointed when it folded. The Domino that I’ve seen since then in print and online hasn’t quite captured the flair of the original Domino–it’s kind of like something is missing. So I’m so excited that they decided to bring it back full force. Can’t wait to see it.

• Reply Elana Kilkenny October 4, 2013 at 10:53 pm

Thrilled to hear about this. Like many of you I loved Domino magazine and have also kept every copy of the magazine. I share your hopes Holly that some of the original staff come back like Tori and Dara C. I have yet to see a magazine that is filled page-to-page with such wonderful inspiration, beauty and resources. I look forward to new content and to seeing what Michelle Adams brings in terms of a fresh outlook. It is nice to see in this world where so much can be deemed as replaceable that some things that were truly special have a second or third life…

• Reply kristin October 4, 2013 at 11:54 pm

I’m so excited to see what new things they have in store for us! I still have every single one of the old issues (and purchased the quarterlies though I wasn’t as pleased with those), so I can’t wait to keep adding to my stack!

• Reply Desha Peacock October 5, 2013 at 12:06 am

Domino was my favorite, I’m siked to hear it’s back! Very cool!

• Reply Glenda Childers October 5, 2013 at 2:10 am

This is such great news.

Fondly,
    Glenda

• Reply Jojo YEUNG October 5, 2013 at 2:43 am

Wow, I miss domino! It used to be the most exciting thing I was looking forward to every month. Welcome back.

• Reply lookslikewhite October 5, 2013 at 3:06 am

Sooo happy!! My favourite magazine. Still have all the back issues..Thanks for letting us know Holly!

• Reply Susan Corner October 5, 2013 at 4:52 am

I’ll only get excited when they do international shipping.

Don’t leave us faraway readers hanging DOMINO!

;)

• Reply Kim October 5, 2013 at 8:25 am

I’m absolutely thrilled they are coming back! Loved their fresh take on design! I still have all mine from before! Can’t wait!

• Reply Desirae @moidesigns October 5, 2013 at 8:45 am

Very happy! I just love (or loved, but now I can say love-present tense), this magazine. I can’t wait to pick it up!

• Reply Maggie October 5, 2013 at 9:47 am

So ecstatic about this news! I always loved Domino for its accessible design and sourcing of affordable products. I have been seeing news of this relaunch popping up everywhere. I am so excited I shared it on my own blog as well. Can’t wait to see the new issue and do some shopping!

• Reply Nick Carter October 5, 2013 at 10:38 am

Who shot the photographs ? Why is the photographer not given a credit ?

• Reply decor8 October 5, 2013 at 1:50 pm

@Nick – Why don’t you ask Domino that question, they don’t have their photographers listed on their website with imagery so that’s a question you can take to them.

• Reply Merissa October 5, 2013 at 1:15 pm

Yes!!! Oh my goodness I am looking forward to this! There has not been another magazine to replace Domino and I am so happy they’ll be back. I would love to see more of the spaces where artists and creatives all do their stuff. Their inspiration boards, their supplies, their creative mess, yes I would love to see that.

• Reply Tracy O'Brien October 5, 2013 at 4:04 pm

Yay!!I have a few back issues of Domino that I have coveted for years…I can’t seem to toss them out. I look forward to adding to my collection!

• Reply tinajo October 5, 2013 at 5:13 pm

How fun, will be nice to see it!

• Reply Nicola October 5, 2013 at 5:40 pm

Yeah, I just discovered it via Instagram today and I’m pretty happy about this. Maybe I will do a new subscription.

• Reply Trisha Brink October 5, 2013 at 6:17 pm

I am SO excited!! I own every issue from before… & like you… was stunned when they pulled the plug. Like all great things, they were ahead of their time…hoping it’s great (or better) than before!! Yay!! ;)

• Reply Faith October 5, 2013 at 6:29 pm

Already snagged a copy!! Hubby picked one up at JFK so guess they’re on newsstands already!! Awesome!! so happy they’re back!

• Reply Angela Ridge October 5, 2013 at 9:05 pm

Where can I get my hands on one? I live in Belgium by the way!

• Reply Ella October 5, 2013 at 9:05 pm

I am thrilled! Thank you Holly for sharing this with us~ I love trend reports and being able to buy what I see. Yes, whose photos?! They are gorgeous~

• Reply Liz October 6, 2013 at 5:22 am

Thrilled! I was so sad to see it go before. Very excited to see what Michelle Adams will bring to it, as Lonny was my favorite substitute for Domino. :)

• Reply Joselyn@thediypot October 6, 2013 at 5:50 am

You made my day with this announcement. I can’t wait for the first issue! Thanks for the heads up.

• Reply Brianne October 6, 2013 at 6:36 am

YAY! I loved Domino and still have all my old issues. So excited to hear it’s coming back -fabulous news!

• Reply Sarah October 6, 2013 at 3:23 pm

It is good news, but apparently didn’t get a great review in the NY Times last week and if I’m correct, I saw it on the newsstands for $12.00 – which I feel is a ridiculous price now that mags are digital. I will check it out. ;-)

• Reply decor8 October 6, 2013 at 4:30 pm

@Sarah – Yeah I read that but honestly, the NYTimes is just the opinion of one reporter who, through the article, I could tell already had an opinion about Ms. Adams long before writing the article. These are always the articles I take with a grain of salt.

• Reply Avery October 6, 2013 at 5:58 pm

I am avid amateur decorator and help friends and family when it comes to making the most of their living spaces. I still have ALL of my old issues of Domino, including the original first issue with Carolina Herrera, Jr. on the cover. I also own the Domino Decorating guide. I constantly refer back to those magazines and the book for inspiration. I hope that I can find a copy of it locally next week when it is released. I also hope that Sarah Ruffin Costello makes a return to the magazine.

• Reply Polly Rowan October 6, 2013 at 7:54 pm

How exciting! Looks like it’s going to be a good read!

• Reply yania mena October 6, 2013 at 8:08 pm

Im so happy to hear that, can’t wait !!

• Reply Patia October 7, 2013 at 7:45 am

Whaaat??? I’m soooo happy to hear this!

• Reply anastasia October 7, 2013 at 2:04 pm

oh that is great news – I love ‘Domino’ and still have some of my back issues!!

• Reply Pamela Bates/Bates Mercantile Co. October 7, 2013 at 2:55 pm

well, considering I still have a giant stack of all my old domino issues AND even did a blog post about missing it [http://batesmercantileco.blogspot.com/2011/06/does-anyone-else-miss-domino-magazine.html], I have to say this news (which there have been rumors of for quote awhile with the online presence) makes me very happy. love domino. I think, in part, because all of the design domino featured seemed somehow accessible. you could picture it in your home.

• Reply Clarisse October 7, 2013 at 5:00 pm

I’m excited to see the new issue of Domino!!! I wish we can get it in my country, but I will definitely look for someone to buy it for me in the US. I love Domino. I have all the back issues. I checked out their website and noticed though that the new Domino looks a lot like the old Lonny. Has anyone noticed this too?

• Reply aolmp October 7, 2013 at 9:30 pm

Happy to see the magazine is back. What about subscriptions offers

• Reply Anna Cruz October 7, 2013 at 11:35 pm

beautiful rooms, and great photography. I am excited about relaunch of Domino magazine, I had a subscription when it stopped publication a few years back I still kept the old magazines, just loved the magazine

• Reply mel October 8, 2013 at 2:42 am

Hi Anastasia, I’m wondering how I can get a copy of it in this side of the world? I’ve checked out the website but can’t find any info… M x

• Reply mel October 8, 2013 at 2:47 am

Looks like a gorgeous issue Holly. That second last image of the small living room is just stunning, I love all of the cushions on the sofa and the three rugs(?) with the frames above and collages. Quite surprising how so much going on works so well in a small room.

• Reply kate granado October 8, 2013 at 6:30 am

I am thrilled, I would devourer domino every month and was shocked when they pulled it, so put me in the happy column.

• Reply Baisli October 9, 2013 at 6:36 am

Domino has an in-house photographer, Brittany Ambridge.

• Reply decor8 October 9, 2013 at 11:13 am

@Baisli – And also Michelle’s boyfriend, too right?

• Reply Nycol October 12, 2013 at 3:38 am

I am thrilled, this is hands down my favorite magazine. I still look back on the old issues. I Look forward to what you guys have in store.

• Reply The Style Page October 20, 2013 at 3:32 am

I went to 3 newsstands and finally found the new Domino at the local supermarket. I remember the old Domino as warm and a little funky. The new one seems a bit “cold.”

• Reply decor8 October 21, 2013 at 2:56 pm

@The Style Page – I just got my copy and it felt very traditional so I’m not too sure what to think yet…

• Reply Rachely Mota October 23, 2013 at 11:10 pm

I totally love this page!

• Reply Rachely Mota October 23, 2013 at 11:12 pm

I like your page! You should visit my website , I hoped you would like it ♥

• Reply Jo Rodgers March 5, 2014 at 2:35 am

Just saw domino while grocery shopping today…was so excited I ended my shopping right then. Still look through my old dominos about once a month because it is the best decorating magazine I have ever subscribed to…so happy to be receiving it again…