Recipes

Apple Crumble Recipe

October 6, 2013

Hello everyone — it’s Liz here with another episode of Food In Motion, where each month Jewels and I present a quick video showing what we made recently, along with the recipe, so you can try it yourself. We alternate months, and it being my turn this month, I just had to step in my garden to pick the best apples ever.

Apple Crumble Recipe

These last days have been perfect in our part of Germany! I love waking up to clear skies and crispy-cold air. These are the days when you get on your bike in the morning and wear your scarf and hat for the first time. By noon you usually wonder why you’re wearing not only a scarf, but also your winter jacket, and you peel yourself out of layers and layers, just to soak up the sun, wishing your lunch break would never end. You can just feel how the weather changes and how your mood changes with it. I have put away my summer clothes and packed up the furniture on the terrace, and in the evening I feel like drinking mulled wine.

This week my husband, daughter and I went apple picking in our garden. We’re very fortunate because when we bought our house two years ago we also bought three old apple trees that are only 6.5 ft tall, so picking is easy. We didn’t use any pesticides in the spring either, although we had all kinds of bugs and worms, so the apples really are not perfect. But hey! Who’s perfect anyway? They are totally organic, and that’s a good feeling. We turned our harvest into something SO easy and yummy, everyone can do it in a jiffy: Apple Crumble! Since I love these kind of quick and easy recipes, it’s exactly the right thing for me!

The recipe is enough to make two of these little pans, and it’s best served warm with vanilla ice cream! Nothing says “autumn” like apples, sugar, butter and cinnamon. (Except maybe that mulled wine… cheers!)

Apple Crumble Recipe

Filling:
10 little apples, peeled, cored and cut into chunks
2 tablespoons sugar

Topping:
1/2 stick of butter
1/2 cup of brown sugar
1/4 cup of flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
butter for the baking dish

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit or 180 degrees Celcius. Butter a baking pan and fill it with the cut apples. Sprinkle them with sugar. For the topping combine butter, sugar, flour and cinnamon in a bowl. Mix with hands until there are crumbs. Sprinkle over the apples and bake for 45-50 minutes or until the top is brown. Serve warm, best with vanilla ice cream.

See you again next month! – Liz

You Might Also Like

13 Comments

• Reply kiosc October 6, 2013 at 5:15 pm

It is nice to make a apple crumble from apples from your own garden.
    And today on my bloga a bit about your beautiful website :)

• Reply Kate @ Songs Kate Sang October 6, 2013 at 5:47 pm

Oh, this looks delicious!

• Reply Barbara Cortili October 6, 2013 at 5:54 pm

Hi! I’ve been wondering what to use apple for this season and your recipe is the perfect idea. I love the combination of warm apple and cold ice cream. Sugar can be replaced with sweetener or eliminated? One of the people for whom I would like to prepare this dish can not take sugar. Thank you for your reply :) – Barbara

• Reply Kiran @ KiranTarun.com October 6, 2013 at 7:50 pm

Delicious autumn crumble! Topped with ice cream, makes it so tempting :D

• Reply Colin October 6, 2013 at 8:50 pm

Yummy apple crumble my favourite especially home made, would have to disagree however it’s best served with warm custard :)

Loved the music by the way in the video and the apple rolling across the table at the end made me laugh.

• Reply Cathy Pascual October 6, 2013 at 9:05 pm

Looks delicious! And so easy! Thank you.

• Reply Mamen October 6, 2013 at 9:33 pm

I love the video! especially when the applerolls over the table and that little hand dips into the crumble :)

• Reply ullatrulla October 7, 2013 at 7:32 am

Hihi, great video – specially the last sequence!
    Thanks for sharing and many greetings,
    Daniela

• Reply Marjory October 7, 2013 at 5:08 pm

Organic apples picked from your own garden sounds heavenly. Apple crumble takes it to another level! Can’t wait to try it. :)

• Reply Alison Gibb October 7, 2013 at 7:24 pm

Shocked that you have not added oatmeal to the crumble topping – this would get you a short spell in Jail in Scotland – add another 1/4 cup of oatmeal for an even crunchier topping!
    x

• Reply Liz October 7, 2013 at 8:42 pm

Dear Barbara, I have to be honest: I haven’t tried replacing the sugar. If you try it, will you let me know? best, liz

Barbara Cortili,

• Reply mel October 8, 2013 at 2:12 am

Oh Liz you are the luckiest having a apple trees in the garden! Apple crumble would have to be one of my favourite desserts in the cooler weather, sometimes I add rhubarb or pear but if all of the apples were my own I’d let them steal the show. I’ll say it again, I love these videos! Mel x

• Reply Barbara Cortili October 11, 2013 at 8:29 am

Liz, thank you for your comment!
    Sure thing, I’ll let you know the results of my experiments :)