Food in Motion: Apple Crumble Recipe

Hello everyone — it’s Liz here with another episode of Food In Motion, where each month Jewels and I present a quick video showing what we made recently, along with the recipe, so you can try it yourself. We alternate months, and it being my turn this month, I just had to step in my garden to pick the best apples ever.

Apple Crumble Video & Recipe on decor8 today

These last days have been perfect in our part of Germany! I love waking up to clear skies and crispy-cold air. These are the days when you get on your bike in the morning and wear your scarf and hat for the first time. By noon you usually wonder why you’re wearing not only a scarf, but also your winter jacket, and you peel yourself out of layers and layers, just to soak up the sun, wishing your lunch break would never end. You can just feel how the weather changes and how your mood changes with it. I have put away my summer clothes and packed up the furniture on the terrace, and in the evening I feel like drinking mulled wine.

This week my husband, daughter and I went apple picking in our garden. We’re very fortunate because when we bought our house two years ago we also bought three old apple trees that are only 6.5 ft tall, so picking is easy. We didn’t use any pesticides in the spring either, although we had all kinds of bugs and worms, so the apples really are not perfect. But hey! Who’s perfect anyway? They are totally organic, and that’s a good feeling. We turned our harvest into something SO easy and yummy, everyone can do it in a jiffy: Apple Crumble! Since I love these kind of quick and easy recipes, it’s exactly the right thing for me!

The recipe is enough to make two of these little pans, and it’s best served warm with vanilla ice cream! Nothing says “autumn” like apples, sugar, butter and cinnamon. (Except maybe that mulled wine… cheers!)

Apple Crumble Recipe

Filling:
10 little apples, peeled, cored and cut into chunks
2 tablespoons sugar

Topping:
1/2 stick of butter
1/2 cup of brown sugar
1/4 cup of flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
butter for the baking dish

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit or 180 degrees Celcius. Butter a baking pan and fill it with the cut apples. Sprinkle them with sugar. For the topping combine butter, sugar, flour and cinnamon in a bowl. Mix with hands until there are crumbs. Sprinkle over the apples and bake for 45-50 minutes or until the top is brown. Serve warm, best with vanilla ice cream.

See you again next month! – Liz

Posted by decor8 in food, Food In Motion on October 06, 2013

1. kiosc commented
    October 6th, 2013 at 5:15pm

It is nice to make a apple crumble from apples from your own garden.
    And today on my bloga a bit about your beautiful website :)

2. Kate @ Songs Kate Sang commented
    October 6th, 2013 at 5:47pm

Oh, this looks delicious!
    Kate @ Songs Kate Sang´s last blog post ..Zucchini and Squash Chips

3. Barbara Cortili commented
    October 6th, 2013 at 5:54pm

Hi! I’ve been wondering what to use apple for this season and your recipe is the perfect idea. I love the combination of warm apple and cold ice cream. Sugar can be replaced with sweetener or eliminated? One of the people for whom I would like to prepare this dish can not take sugar. Thank you for your reply :) – Barbara
    Barbara Cortili´s last blog post ..Baccano! Cosplay Photography Set

4. Kiran @ KiranTarun.com commented
    October 6th, 2013 at 7:50pm

Delicious autumn crumble! Topped with ice cream, makes it so tempting :D
    Kiran @ KiranTarun.com´s last blog post ..Eggless Banana Coconut Cream Loaf

5. Colin commented
    October 6th, 2013 at 8:50pm

Yummy apple crumble my favourite especially home made, would have to disagree however it’s best served with warm custard :)

Loved the music by the way in the video and the apple rolling across the table at the end made me laugh.

6. Cathy Pascual commented
    October 6th, 2013 at 9:05pm

Looks delicious! And so easy! Thank you.
    Cathy Pascual´s last blog post ..Color Makes Me Happy

7. Mamen commented
    October 6th, 2013 at 9:33pm

I love the video! especially when the applerolls over the table and that little hand dips into the crumble :)

8. ullatrulla commented
    October 7th, 2013 at 7:32am

Hihi, great video – specially the last sequence!
    Thanks for sharing and many greetings,
    Daniela
    ullatrulla´s last blog post ..Holzofenpizza aus Turin und das beste Eis der Welt | Reiserückblicke aus Italien

9. Marjory commented
    October 7th, 2013 at 5:08pm

Organic apples picked from your own garden sounds heavenly. Apple crumble takes it to another level! Can’t wait to try it. :)
    Marjory´s last blog post ..Trust this not knowing. It’s the crack that lets the light in

10. Alison Gibb commented
    October 7th, 2013 at 7:24pm

Shocked that you have not added oatmeal to the crumble topping – this would get you a short spell in Jail in Scotland – add another 1/4 cup of oatmeal for an even crunchier topping!
    x

11. Liz commented
    October 7th, 2013 at 8:42pm

Dear Barbara, I have to be honest: I haven’t tried replacing the sugar. If you try it, will you let me know? best, liz

Barbara Cortili,

12. mel commented
    October 8th, 2013 at 2:12am

Oh Liz you are the luckiest having a apple trees in the garden! Apple crumble would have to be one of my favourite desserts in the cooler weather, sometimes I add rhubarb or pear but if all of the apples were my own I’d let them steal the show. I’ll say it again, I love these videos! Mel x
    mel´s last blog post ..Summer Meatballs

13. Barbara Cortili commented
    October 11th, 2013 at 8:29am

Liz, thank you for your comment!
    Sure thing, I’ll let you know the results of my experiments :)
    Barbara Cortili´s last blog post ..12 gorgeous apps for your iPhonography