DIY

DIY: Jewelry Dishes With Copper Touches

October 9, 2013

Hello, it’s Lisa here with a lovely and practical craft project where I will show you how to make Jewelry Dishes With Copper Touches (perfect for holiday gift giving!) for this month’s Make Me column on decor8. I tend to take my jewelry off during random times at my desk, in the bathroom or before getting into bed – do you do that too? I decided that the best solution is to have a few little dishes scattered about to keep my rings and things safe from being accidentally knocked on the floor or out of sight. Why not make them myself, I thought. And so I did. Here is how you can, too.

DIY: Jewelry Dishes With Copper Touches

DIY: Jewelry Dishes With Copper Touches

Supplies
You’ll need: White air dry clay, a metallic copper sharpie or Copper leaf, sizing, a paint brush and sealer.

Step 1: Make The Dish
Start by rolling out a long sausage of clay about three eighths of an inch (1cm) thick. Then make a small coil bowl out of it. At this stage you want a bowl shape, not a dish shape. Now smooth out the inside and outside of the bowl. Next start thinning out the bowl by gently pinching it. As the clay gets thinner start shaping the walls outwards to form a dish shape. Continue until the clay is less than an eighth of an inch (a couple of millimeters) thick. Make an organic free-form shape with some parts of the side wall higher than others. Allow the dish to dry thoroughly according to the instructions on the clay packaging.

DIY: Jewelry Dishes With Copper Touches

Step 2: Add Copper Touches
I’m loving the current copper trend so I enjoyed adding some to my jewelry dishes. I used a sharpie to color the rim of one of my dishes and it went on easily and lends itself to creating any sort of pattern or decoration you like. The other two dishes are embellished with copper leaf. To compliment the organic shapes of the dishes I wanted a finish that wasn’t neat or uniform. Make sure you are working in an area without a draft and follow the directions on the pack, applying the sizing first, followed by the copper leaf and finally a spray (or two) of sealant.

DIY: Jewelry Dishes With Copper Touches

I’ve only been using my jewelry dishes for a week and they’ve been fabulous – I no longer have earrings scattered all over my apartment and I know where to find things again.

DIY: Jewelry Dishes With Copper Touches

With the festive season fast approaching you may think about surprising friends and loved ones with handmade gifts this year. If you start planning and making now you’ll be ready for the holidays without feeling stressed or rushed. These petite jewelry dishes would make an ideal gift – they don’t take long to make and they look great.

DIY: Jewelry Dishes With Copper Touches

I hope you enjoy making them and I’ll catch up with you here on decor8 again next month with another installation of Make Me! – Lisa xo

(text/images: lisa tilse)

23 Comments

• Reply bip October 9, 2013 at 2:11 pm

LOVE THEM! going to make them asap. thanks for sharing.

• Reply Joanna October 9, 2013 at 3:13 pm

I love these! I’m always taking my rings on and off and playing with them, moving them from hand to hand while I’m on the computer. It’s annoying. I never thought of multiple jewelry holders around the house. Bravo!

• Reply Iwona October 9, 2013 at 3:35 pm

Wow! Very interesting post:) Cool jewelry dishes:) I greet!

• Reply Ella October 9, 2013 at 4:16 pm

Hi Lisa and Holly!!
    Oh, these are so cute n’ clever! I can envision these wrapped with gorgeous bling peeking out. I love the idea of nesting bowls all clustered holding our heart felt treasures. Thank you-I need to go find a copper sharpie! I have silver n’ gold~ Now, I need copper-lol

• Reply Jenn October 9, 2013 at 4:34 pm

So pretty! I’ve been wanting to work with air dry clay for a while now so I will definitely be trying these out. Thanks

• Reply Sally October 9, 2013 at 5:53 pm

I absolutely love these, I’m a big fan of using gold leaf so will definitely have to give these a try. Loving the copper trend!

• Reply Lidia October 9, 2013 at 7:15 pm

So pretty and so lovely, maybe I will try to make it…

• Reply Tanya October 9, 2013 at 8:35 pm

I love that jewelry dish! Its so cute.

• Reply Tim Hazlett October 9, 2013 at 9:04 pm

I can’t believe how easy to make and how nice they come out. I have a few people to recommend this to.

• Reply Linda @ Mixed Kreations October 9, 2013 at 10:59 pm

These are so cute! This would be great to hold my earrings in on the bathroom counter. I don’t have any sharpies or gold leaf but I do have air dried clay, so I’m going to make one now and worry about the sharpie later. Thanks for sharing how to make your fabulous little dishes!

• Reply Kat October 10, 2013 at 12:03 am

Hi lisa, love these, so beautiful.
    Thanks for sharing. I’m wondering how you achieve such a lovely shine to the white of the bowls, is that from the sealer? Or a varnish?
    Would love if you could recommend a product (I’m in the uk) or maybe the clay you used just turned more shiney on drying? The one I used stayed more matt.
    Hope v much to have a go at these
    Love Kat x

• Reply Decoladeolinda October 10, 2013 at 1:40 am

qué sencillo de hacer y qué lindo queda
    Hermoso
    Besos
    Andrea

• Reply Olivia October 10, 2013 at 1:57 am

Very lovely! I’m most definitely going to make these. Perfect for all the earrings around the house, and gifts as well! Do you know where I could get some copper leaf?

• Reply Desha peacock October 10, 2013 at 3:30 am

These are super sweet, i would like to try making them, great gift idea.
    Thanks Lisa!

• Reply Claudia October 10, 2013 at 8:44 am

Oh these are beautiful!! Great DIY!

• Reply lisa :: the red thread October 10, 2013 at 12:23 pm

Kat, The clay isn’t really shiny (apart from where the copper leaf is) – it may look shinier in the photos than what it actually is! I did take a lot of time to smooth it out and also dipped my finger in water to help the process.

• Reply lisa :: the red thread October 10, 2013 at 12:25 pm

Olivia,

I bought the copper leaf at a craft supply shop here in Australia. Check out your local craft or art shop or search online.

• Reply Inge October 10, 2013 at 2:49 pm

Love these so much! I’d love to make them myself as a Christmas present for myself and my mother. :-)
    One question: I don’t know what you mean by “sealer”, is that some kind of varnish to make the dishes glossy looking? Hope you can help me out!!
    Thanks a bunch for sharing this lovely DIY-project!
    Hugs, Inge x

• Reply Jennifer October 10, 2013 at 8:01 pm

These are simply beautiful!!!! I need to put this on my ‘must do’ project list! Thanks for sharing! J

• Reply Sarah October 10, 2013 at 8:09 pm

Love this! It would be a great project for a girls’ craft n’ wine night! Thanks so much for sharing. :)

• Reply farragio October 11, 2013 at 3:49 am

Just bought some clay the other day. Can’t wait to try this out.

• Reply amy October 12, 2013 at 6:53 pm

so lovely! — i’m going to definitely make this during my creative hours of the week.
    thank you for your generosity in sharing such wonderful idea with the world!

• Reply Kat October 13, 2013 at 1:19 pm

lisa :: the red thread,

lisa :: the red thread,

Thanks for the reply Lisa, I will def try the water tip
    Kat x