Microtrend: Let’s Talk About Woven Wall Hangings

October 28, 2013

Hello readers, I am very happy to report a micro trend that I spotted during my recent trip to Los Angeles. All over LA there is so much wall art with a strong 70’s vibe where macramé, weaving art and yarn banners are on the rise. Once you start researching, you’ll discover that most (not all) of these artists live in California! After visiting many trend shows in Europe, I’m happy to report a trend that I truly believe had its origin on that side of the globe. Today, let’s talk about woven wall hangings and their modern texture combos with chunky thread, exquisite fibers and even some color-blocking to create playful patterns. What I particularly love about this microtrend is the unique combination of fashion and ancient craftwork. I’m totally drawn to everything that is handmade, locally produced and that has history behind it. Since we have seen macramé surfacing around the internet already, I’ll skip that… We will concentrate on hanging woven tapestries and tassel art instead. Ready?

Microtrend: Let's Talk About Woven Wall Hangings

Maryanne Moodie began weaving while pregnant, wanting to slow down and decided to take out a small loom that she had not found any use for at that time. Today, she sells her pieces on a commission basis. Maryanne is the founder of Melbourne-based brand House of Maryanne Vintage, and you can learn more about her work in this blog post or link to the photographer who shot these gorgeous photos above, here: Brooke Holm. Please check out her amazing IG feed too. It features some of the most amazing work that I have come across!

Microtrend: Let's Talk About Woven Wall Hangings

Brook&Lyn was founded by Mimi Jung and Brian Hurewitz in 2009. They moved their studio from New York to Los Angeles in 2012 blending their backgrounds in weaving, installation art, woodworking and art direction.

Microtrend: Let's Talk About Woven Wall Hangings

Next there is Adam Pogue’s downtown LA home. There is so much to discover in his array of fantastic DIY objects such as the wall hanging piece in his bedroom which originally was made as a knotted fleece rug. Don’t you think the blue-green wall color is the perfect backdrop?

Microtrend: Let's Talk About Woven Wall Hangings

If you want to go much for a more sophisticated look, Native Line hanging objects are one of a kind pieces made with gold plated wire, black bamboo thread, metallic gold and silver fibers. I love the more artsy and minimal approach here.

Microtrend: Let's Talk About Woven Wall Hangings

How about this truly amazing tassel art work presented during Justina Blakeney’s popup shop at Platform earlier this month? Of all the pieces I have seen so far, this is one of my favorites!

Microtrend: Let's Talk About Woven Wall Hangings

All Roads Design is Los Angeles-based design duo Janelle Pietrzak and Robert Dougherty who craft one-of-a-kind pieces with natural aesthetics and global influences. By the way, arrows are trending too! I see them popping up on different platforms.

Microtrend: Let's Talk About Woven Wall Hangings

And some final eye candy for you today… This stunning tassel cascade from Creative Bug is a surprisingly easy to make DIY Project.

I hope you liked the wall weaving idea! What do you think? Dated or a happy discovery? Have a wonderful week ahead.

(text: gudy herder/editing: holly becker/photos linked to their sources above.)

• Reply Olivia October 28, 2013 at 2:23 pm

These are so beautiful!!! I would love to hang one of these in my house… the All Roads Design pieces are my favorites, but they are all so pretty! I love getting a little inspiration like this to start off my day. Thanks Decor8!

• Reply Kimberly Hughes October 28, 2013 at 2:24 pm

Absolutely love it! It adds so much textural interest to a room. Gorgeous post, gorgeous spot. Fingers crossed more of these talented people start popping up across the pond. xx

• Reply Fräulein Julia October 28, 2013 at 2:31 pm

Thanks Holly for writing about these inspiring people! I started a course in weaving a month ago and now can’t wait for the next class :)

• Reply decor8 October 28, 2013 at 2:33 pm

@Fräulein Julia This post was written by lovely Gudy Herder, but thank you!!!

• Reply Holly Guertin October 28, 2013 at 2:33 pm

Love this post! I’ve just started my own design company and I make fiber art products that fall somewhat into this microtrend. They’re crocheted, not woven, but I’m so happy to see that Ernie and Irene is a little trendy!

• Reply Bernadette October 28, 2013 at 2:41 pm

Very inspirational. I’d love to know how Adam and Justine hung their pieces.

• Reply Laura October 28, 2013 at 2:44 pm

You know, when I first started seeing these appearing on blogs, I was not into them. I just couldn’t get into them, I’m not sure why. Maybe too 70s/crafty? But seeing these is starting to change my mind…there are some really interesting and (dare I say?) attractive pieces here. I especially love those ones at the top by Maryanne Moody.

• Reply cyndi October 28, 2013 at 2:55 pm

The pieces by Brook&Lyn remind me of a project I did in the 70’s – I enjoyed it in my home for many years. I’m glad the trend is back.

• Reply becky October 28, 2013 at 3:12 pm

Hi Gudy, I think this trend is fun and brings me back to the days when my mom made macramé plant holders in the ’70s. In researching this a little while ago I came across a great artist who does oversized versions, Sally England, whose work can be seen at the Portland Ace Hotel, and Andy Harman’s gigantic owl is a really fun twist on a popular macramé subject from back in the day (not sure if this link will work):

• Reply Melissa de la Fuente October 28, 2013 at 3:17 pm

So gorgeous….I think they are an inspired new take on wall hangings of old. I would love some,making my walls cosy! :)

• Reply Paula Jean | Sea Island Drive October 28, 2013 at 4:00 pm

I’ve been absolutely loving woven wall hanging lately! Thanks for introducing me to a couple new artists!

• Reply Chandra October 28, 2013 at 6:59 pm

A little bit hippie a lot a bit chic. These are beautiful.

• Reply Mimi October 28, 2013 at 7:01 pm

These artists are quite talented. I must admit, I’m surprised to see these woven wall hangings again. But as they say, everything old is new again. Thanks for the post.

• Reply Fräulein Julia October 28, 2013 at 7:04 pm

Fräulein Julia,

well, I meant “thanks Gudy”, obviously ;)

• Reply Gudy Herder October 28, 2013 at 7:28 pm

Hi Becky, I had Sally England on my list (love her work)but decided not to include her since it is not a weaving but macramé technique she uses. But yes, she does amazing pieces too! And thks for the Andy Harman link, that’s stunning!

• Reply Anette@lebenslustiger October 28, 2013 at 8:51 pm

Hi Gudy and Holly – love your post. I did some wall-hangings in summer (Mollie Makes published them, yay!) and definitely want to create more in this direction. I just bought a ton of new recycled yarn in gorgeous colors and can’t wait to start! But first comes my jewelry christmas business, then the move to the new apartment BUT then beginning of next year I will take time off to work on new wall-hangings…
    In case you like to see:
    Much love to you two, Anette

• Reply Bastelmagazin October 28, 2013 at 9:50 pm

Wunderschön! Toll!

• Reply Kristin October 29, 2013 at 1:18 am

What a great post. I love all of the images. I love this artist and her work!

• Reply Janelle October 29, 2013 at 4:28 am

Thanks for the mention here! Happy to be in good company with these other amazing artists.

• Reply Lena October 29, 2013 at 9:32 am

I think it’s fun and a nice contrast to the minimalistic scandinavian style you’ve seen so much for years now. I came across the wall hangings on pinterest a while ago (I think they were Maryanne Moodie´s) and liked them right away. It goes well with the indoor plants and earthy colours trend, too. I haven’t seen them anywhere in Europe so far, though. Thanks for bringing some Californina vibes back to us from LA, Gudy!

• Reply Nicole October 29, 2013 at 10:05 am

Love all about this post! Lovely written and the weaves are so fantastic!
    As a mom I can say, it is a everlasting trend in “the Kindergartenscene”! :-) I did it and my daughter loves to weave, too. I love to watch the DIY trends who have there original in all those (sadly) sometimes forgotten technics.
    Thank you for putting this inspiration into the world!

• Reply Gudy Herder October 29, 2013 at 11:33 am

Really do love your work! Any stockists planned for Europe?

• Reply Galina October 29, 2013 at 4:52 pm

Thank you for your post.Good work.
    Maryanne’s works are my favorites.

• Reply tracy gatto October 29, 2013 at 6:38 pm

I am obsessed with this trend!! Very “Now” post :)

• Reply Holly October 29, 2013 at 7:02 pm

Wow…these combinations of colors and textures are so rich and beautiful! Thank you for sharing.

• Reply lisa :: the red thread October 29, 2013 at 11:51 pm

I love this trend too. I’ve been following Maryanne on Instagram for ages – she now lives in New York.

• Reply Jesse October 30, 2013 at 10:25 pm

Oh wow, these are all amazing! I have wanted to assemble a collection like this for a while, I love the texture. Thanks for sharing!

• Reply mel October 31, 2013 at 10:52 am

I’m so glad you’ve declared this a micro trend! I am so in love with this one and I’ve been searching for a wall hanging large enough to cover my ugly television in the wall that doesn’t cost a fortune… I’ll check out all of your wonderful suggestions! Great report like always Gudy! xx Mel

• Reply gonnabe40 October 31, 2013 at 8:57 pm

lovely post :)
    where is the beautiful embroidered dress from?… thanks

• Reply Janelle November 27, 2013 at 6:15 am

Gudy Herder,

Not yet Gudy, but anyone can email me for a custom piece! :) Thank you so much.

• Reply Joe Lewis February 27, 2014 at 12:09 am

volume 5 Issue 3/ Fall 2009

• Reply Joe Lewis February 27, 2014 at 12:36 am

I found this article interesting and what you have spotted as a mirco trend I see as both a resurgences of one of major components/ directions in mid century modern fibre revolution (1948-1985) and an emerging interest in interlacing structures that was the driving force of this type of work 45 years ago. I write about textile and fibre arts crafts and history in an on line magazine called fibreQUARTERLY and in 2005 I had the privilege of doing an on-line presentation of a 1974 exhibition toured by the Art Gallery of Ontario called “Textiles into 3D” the work you show here has a direct connection to some of the work from that exhibition. If these makers are paying tribute, mocking or conceptually examining these making processes doesn’t matter to me I am just amazed to see it happening and looking forward to see it become more then a trend. Good job putting it out there.

• Reply Judi G. May 1, 2014 at 5:34 pm

These are all very nice pieces. As a Saori weaver, I am amused when freestyle weaving is “rediscovered”- for some it has never really been gone. Or perhaps it’s that we aren’t concerned about what’s “on trend” and just weave what makes our hearts happy!

• Reply Shanna June 19, 2014 at 11:04 pm

Reminds me of the good old days of doing cross stitch. But these are much more beautiful and they look like they could be a lot more fun to make.

• Reply kain tenun ikat June 17, 2015 at 6:45 am

Reminds me of the good old days of doing cross stitch