Homes with Heart: Eclectic Modern Family Home

Hello everyone! It’s Holly Marder back with another inspiring home tour in the Netherlands this month that I photographed for my Homes With Heart column on decor8. Are you ready to be inspired? Great!

Holly2

“Don’t pin me on to just one type of style, it would kill me,” says Nancy Berendsen, blogger and magazine editor who envisioned a light, bright and airy space when she first laid eyes on the dark and dated house that was to become her home. Located in Oostzaan, the Netherlands, the house had everything that she and her husband were looking for – space, fresh country air and loads of potential to create the ultimate family home for their two children and puppy, Molly.

holly7

holly9

holly8

holly10

A full scale renovation ensued, where bringing in natural light was the main priority. Nancy has always been drawn to bright Scandinavian interiors in which natural light plays a crucial role to the home and its inhabitants. Even when the days turn dark, her home is still a cheerful place to be. With the help of an architect, they reworked the combined living, kitchen and dining room to maximize natural light. To achieve this, a section of the roof and exterior wall of the home was removed and replaced with a steel framed glass window that follows the contours of the house. The result gives a greenhouse quality to the home’s exterior, but the light that floods the space is unmatched. Glass sliding doors that run the length of the house leading out onto the patio also worked to open up the space and invite the outdoors in. With views over the neighboring farms and a small stream, the patio is as much apart of the home’s living space as the interior itself during the warmer months.

hollyout1

hollyout2

hollyout5

hollyout4

Nancy is drawn to a mix of designs styles, which she seamlessly combines against the backdrop of her freshly renovated home. Fresh white painted walls and oak floors form the canvas against which she has infused her eclectic sense of style. “I wanted to create a joyful home where family and friends feel welcome, warm and energized,” she says.

Nancy’s keen eye for detail, texture, colour and shape, as well as a love of vintage and preloved treasures, has given her home a sense of joy and optimism. Vintage pieces scoured from markets and online marketplaces remind Nancy of her beloved grandmother, while modern clean-lined design items work to create a space that is sophisticated yet doesn’t take itself too seriously. “I love to play with different materials to create a cozy atmosphere at home,” she says. “I love mixing old with new, such as vintage leather with soft cottons or fluffy sheepskin, to draw the eye in.”

holly13

holly11

holly3

holly5

holly6

holly14

holly4

Holly1

holly12

Bright pops of color against pastels and neutrals add to the lighthearted feel of Nancy’s home. “I love colors. They add optimism to a space, but it has to be in a soft, balanced way,” she says. Nancy’s fave color combo? Neutrals combined with greens and a touch of yellow, salmon and pink is always a winning blend.

holly16

holly18

holly21

holly17

So what’s Nancy’s (her photo is above, left) trick to finding just the right vintage and secondhand items? “One of my favorite online shopping tricks (I use mostly Marktplaats and eBay) is to simply search a specific material that I am currently swooning over, such as wool or bamboo, and just see what pops up!” And while this method keeps her thrifting fancies satisfied, nothing beats a good old-fashioned treasure hunt. “I love to go thrifting and I’m always on the hunt for simple, strong and beautiful design.” But there’s more to clever thrifting than meets the eye. Nancy takes all things into consideration before bringing scoured treasures home with her, but shape plays a primary role in the selection process. “Shape is incredibly important, whether it’s the curved legs of a chair or the bow of a spoon,” she says. “At the moment I’m deeply in love with old-fashioned candle holders with a handle.”

holly15

holly20

holly19

While an old meets new aesthetic has formed the basis of Nancy’s happy interior, displaying her children’s artwork is closest to her heart and gives her home a personal quality. “Their intuitive feel for colour can be stunning combined with a touch of design,” Nancy says. “Don’t feel guilty about being selective. They will love you for highlighting their art, and it will instantly give your home that personal touch, which is what I search for in decorating.”

So what do you think decor8 readers – any ideas from her arrangements that you picked up on and would like to try in your own home? See you again with another Dutch home tour in November! – Holly

(text/photos: holly marder)

Posted by decor8 in Homes With Heart on October 29, 2013

1. Usha Digiacomo commented
    October 29th, 2013 at 12:18pm

Love it!
    I am also a person that cannot be pinned in any style. My problem is that I like everything :)
    I have been thinking to have a coffee table on wheels for a while, since we do have meals while watching movies. I think I will do mine soon!

Bjs
    Usha Digiacomo´s last blog post ..Quarto de Bebê Totalmente Fora do Ordinário

2. Gudy Herder commented
    October 29th, 2013 at 1:27pm

Dear Holly Marder: I thing it is a amazing photo shooting! All the details are captured with so much taste and style! The color palette of the home itself helps but you have done an amazing job too! xo to Holly B. too!

3. Sabine commented
    October 29th, 2013 at 2:10pm

wonderful home, wonderful photos! I totally like the spots in different greens
    Sabine´s last blog post ..Herbstfrüchte

4. cyndi commented
    October 29th, 2013 at 2:30pm

I love the huge kettle used as a coffee table outside. Lovely photo shoot.
    cyndi´s last blog post ..Boo

5. Nicenancy commented
    October 29th, 2013 at 2:45pm

Dear Holly,
    Dank je wel!! Thank you in Dutch for showing my home on your lovely blog. And thank you Holly Marder for the magic, you really did a great job. XNancy

6. Nicenancy commented
    October 29th, 2013 at 2:46pm

Dear Holly,

7. Zilá commented
    October 29th, 2013 at 3:24pm

It’s always a bliss to visit your blog and find amazing homes like this one! I love the bathroom wal and the fireplacel…I enjoy “white” homes too, but they need a touch of neutrals and natural elements..I need to feel close to Earth.
    Zilá´s last blog post ..October

8. Olivia commented
    October 29th, 2013 at 5:47pm

Wow, I’m left speechless! The house is gorgeous, and the color scheme stunning. I love the pops of color against the white background-especially with the hints of nature shown through the wood-and would take all of the elements of this home right into my own. As always, you have managed to blow me away with your beautiful photos decor8. Thanks for sharing this!
    Olivia´s last blog post ..Weekly Pinterest inspiration- cascading paper

9. Laura Gaskill commented
    October 30th, 2013 at 12:11am

Oh Holly, I love every home you share! Dutch style gets me every time :)
    hugs,
    Laura
    Laura Gaskill´s last blog post ..Tips on Camping (Happily) with Kids

10. Kate @ Songs Kate Sang commented
    October 30th, 2013 at 5:29am

This is so stunning. I absolutely love it!
    Kate @ Songs Kate Sang´s last blog post ..DIY | River Rocks

11. Holly {Avenue} commented
    October 30th, 2013 at 3:11pm

Gudy Herder,

Thank you so much, Gudy, for your sweet words. It was a beautiful home to photograph. Nancy will tell you that I was completely in the zone! x
    Holly {Avenue}´s last blog post ..At the Kinfolk Table

12. Melissa commented
    October 30th, 2013 at 5:41pm

Wow! I love this whole space. I would move in in a second. The kitchen table with all the mixed chairs is my favourite.

13. Whitney commented
    October 31st, 2013 at 10:12pm

i love everything about this house!! So refreshing and inspiring. I am in love with the rattan rocker chair by the white fireplace. do you have any idea where that is from or where I could purchase one?

14. Nadine commented
    November 1st, 2013 at 8:39pm

What’s not to love ? It’s just great!

15. Lynn commented
    December 16th, 2013 at 5:50am

They have a male puppy named Molly?

16. Gillian(Cotton & Rust) commented
    December 19th, 2013 at 6:56am

This is a gorgeous space, the fire place is beautiful…..completely off topic but those hand bags in that photograph are pretty unique too! wish I knew where they were bought/who makes them!

17. lize commented
    December 24th, 2013 at 7:34pm

Leuk huis!!

18. Natasha commented
    December 31st, 2013 at 3:36am

Lovely! I especially love the huge screen in the closet (or bedroom?) Please tell me it’s not a vintage find!

19. Sander commented
    January 6th, 2014 at 12:44pm

Gillian(Cotton & Rust),

they’re handmade by Nancy and her daughter :)

20. Viivi* commented
    May 14th, 2014 at 1:22pm

Hi, are you having hot there, because you have such a big windows? I am jsut wondering, because we have this problem. Thanks for you answer!