Inspiration

Pre-order Decorate With Flowers + Save Some Cash!

October 29, 2013

Here is the BIG news that I told you about on Friday and it’s called Decorate With Flowers! In fact, this is a very big day for Leslie Shewring and I because finally, FINALLY, we can announce our new book to the world! We began working on this concept for a flowers book in early 2012 so when we landed a book deal this past spring with only the summer to bring our concept to life, we knew we had to get moving! And we were lucky enough to include some of our favorite stylists and bloggers in this book, including Emily Henderson, Bri Emery and Victoria Smith, to share flowers in their homes, too!

Pre-order Decorate With Flowers + Save Some Cash!

About the book! Published by Jacqui Small LLPDecorate With Flowers offers advice on selecting, combining and arranging flowers to best complement your decor. The book is separated into eight styles because we wanted to show flowers in real homes, not just close up shots of floral arrangements. We never intended for our book to focus on a professional approach to floral design rather, being stylists not florists, we thought to take our experience and create an approachable book that we felt was missing in the market. We wanted to create a book that spoke to those of us who just want to experiment and get playful with real flowers without feeling like we have to pre-order specific blooms or invest a large chunk of cash into a single arrangement. In Decorate With Flowers, we also include step-by-step projects and crafting ideas showing how to adapt and decorate containers in a creative way with ribbons and trims, paint, string and fabric. You will also learn how to arrange flowers like a stylist along with the importance of placing them in the right container, and where. Additionally, we created some easy-to-follow entertaining pages to help you to create pretty and approachable floral decorations for entertaining at home, from tea parties to cocktails with friends. Whether you want to make the most of freshly picked blooms from the garden, or you crave to put your personal stamp on the more generic pre-packaged bunch from the local market, Decorate with Flowers, will leave you inspired and excited to work more freely with flowers and containers in a spirit of exploration and creativity.

When we showed our friend, Amy Butler, the book she had this to say,

Holly and Leslie’s Decorate with Flowers is an incredibly rich and inspiring book clearly created from their lifelong passion for floral forms, nature and decorating! This book brings all of these elements together with a casual, easy and elegant ‘how to’ approach that gives you everything you need to create your own unique decorating and entertaining experiences with the warmth and beauty of flowers…all from the heart! – Amy Butler, designer and author.

To pre-order and receive £5.00 off when ordering online at Waterstones.com, please use voucher code HB2014 upon checkout. Decorate With Flowers releases in the UK on March 21, 2014 (which coincidentally, is my birthday!). Chronicle Books will publish it on May 6, 2014 for the North American market (pre-order here), though with a different jacket but the same title. Australia will follow with a few foreign language editions later on.

Pre-order Decorate With Flowers + Save Some Cash!

Waterstones.com Terms and Conditions — Discount code HB2014 entitles you to pre-order Decorate With Flowers by Holly Becker and Leslie Shewring for £15.00 (RRP £20.00) at Waterstones.com. Discount code is valid from 24/10/2013 to midday 30/11/2013. Discount can only be used once per person. One discount code to be used per transaction. Discount code cannot be used with any other voucher or coupon. Discount code can only be used at time of purchase and not retrospectively. This voucher can only be used on Waterstones.com and not in Waterstones stores. All prices onWaterstones.com are online only and may differ from Waterstones stores. Voucher Code not valid on Reserve and Collect.

By the way… This book was a real labor of love because I was at my peak of pregnancy illness only 4 weeks after we began shooting. I was down and out in bed working on the book from my iPad – it was crazy! Leslie and I were in touch daily to hash out our next plan, the next shoot, the next idea. With her all the way in British Columbia and me over here in Germany, it was a challenge! But there is also a funny story behind everything. Leslie came to spend a week with me in Hannover so we could begin shooting right before I found out I was pregnant. Over dinner one night we were dishing about pregnancy and how much I wanted to have a baby and how I knew my husband and I really needed to start taking the whole baby thing more seriously — like the song goes, “A less conversation and a little more action.”  A few weeks after she left, I felt a bit “odd” and so I took a pregnancy test just because – and to my shock I was already 6 weeks pregnant. While I was whining to Leslie about getting pregnant, I was already there. So this book came at a special and challenging time for me personally but this makes it even better now because I’ll forever recall writing it with my dear friend Leslie at a very precious time in my life with my baby boy as my muse. And the best part – I started feeling better later on in the project and was able to give this book my all so you can expect a whole lotta Leslie and Holly style up in here! You can’t beat a memory like that, can you?

10/30 UPDATE: We received the jacket proof so today I wrapped it around a book of the same size to see how it looks – amazing. This will be such a lovely book!

Pre-order Decorate With Flowers + Save Some Cash!

Leslie and I hope that you will pre-order and enjoy our book! We put a lot of love into it just for you. xo

Pre-Order Here and remember to use Discount code HB2014 upon checkout!

(photo:Book jacket photography by Leslie Shewring, design by Helen Bratby)

33 Comments

• Reply Cassie October 29, 2013 at 4:58 pm

That’s my birthday, too! And I had a similar experience to you early-pregnancy book writing when writing my masters thesis this pay year. It is interesting how much becoming a mom changes you’re perspective, even before the little guy arrives. Can’t wait to see the book!

• Reply decor8 October 29, 2013 at 5:04 pm

Thank you Cassie! :) xo

• Reply Holly {Avenue} October 29, 2013 at 5:16 pm

Ah finally!!! So, so exciting Holly. Can’t wait to hold a copy in my hands as it looks beautiful already. Well done!

• Reply Gretchen October 29, 2013 at 5:31 pm

This is so exciting! I can’t wait to get a copy. Sounds like such a smart an clever design book, that is just going to be gorgeous! Congrats to you and Leslie!

• Reply Bee October 29, 2013 at 5:34 pm

Congrats, Holly! Can’t wait to see the finished book. I appreciate your approach of styling flowers for real homes. It’s exactly what I’m looking for when I just want to add some flowers into my home!

• Reply Rona October 29, 2013 at 5:43 pm

Wow Holly! Many congratulations on you new book. It sounds SO ‘up my street’ and I really can’t wait to read it!

• Reply Laura van der Linde October 29, 2013 at 6:15 pm

Sounds so very lovely and awesome at the same time! What a great way to start SPRING!
    Will pre- order, much love back to you two ladies!
    XO Laura

• Reply Marianne October 29, 2013 at 6:20 pm

Just put it on my UK Amazon wish list! I am looking forward to it. So far I arrange flowers in a vase and that’s that! It will be nice to take some ideas from your book and use it in my home.

• Reply laura redburn October 29, 2013 at 6:50 pm

when i get paid i’ll definitely be pre-ordering! i love flowers and beautiful photography so i know i’m in for a winner!

• Reply Tanya October 29, 2013 at 6:55 pm

I can’t wait to read it. I bet its so helpful!!

• Reply Magda October 29, 2013 at 8:55 pm

Looking forward to your new book!

• Reply Julie Gallagher October 29, 2013 at 9:07 pm

Just ordered my copy! I can’t wait to see all your fab ideas and especially love the fact that this is a “real” book about flowers that I will actually be able to put into practice!

• Reply Melissa de la Fuente October 29, 2013 at 9:55 pm

YAY! woo hoo! SO exciting, can’t wait to get my copy! It looks beautiful hunnie! Congrats to you both!
    xo
    Melis

• Reply Sarah October 29, 2013 at 10:31 pm

Congratulations! So inspiring!

• Reply Jane October 29, 2013 at 11:02 pm

Super dooper, Holly. Cannot, Wait, J x

• Reply Elodie (madame love) October 29, 2013 at 11:12 pm

Congratulations Holly! I am very much looking forward to this new book!
    Elodie

• Reply lisa :: the red thread October 29, 2013 at 11:44 pm

Big congratulations Holly and Leslie – what a great team you make! Can’t wait to see the book… and the Australian cover!

• Reply Laura Gaskill October 30, 2013 at 2:00 am

YES! This sounds so wonderful, Holly — you are so right, there is a definite need for a book like this, and I cannot wait to get my hands on a copy! Soooo exciting! xo Laura

• Reply Kristin October 30, 2013 at 2:07 am

Exciting! Congrats the book looks great.

• Reply Linda Leyble October 30, 2013 at 4:33 am

Hi Holly – congrats to you and Leslie. I remember taking lovely photographs of flowers that you and Leslie created for your Blogging class in NYC a little while ago. They are my favorite flower photographs!

Can’t wait to see the book!

Linda

• Reply Karla October 30, 2013 at 7:40 am

How cool and congratulations! Looks like one great book for my library but most of all, great inspiration for me to create too.

Warm regards,
    Karla

• Reply Barbara Cortili October 30, 2013 at 10:01 am

I am amazed how much energetic you are,Holly! Nothing can stop you :)
    This book looks great. I’ve been looking for some flowers photography reference material lately and this looks like a great project. I am going to purchase it, I can’t miss this jewel!
    My best congratulations to you and Leslie. You are the best team ever!

• Reply Sarah @ Mocha October 30, 2013 at 10:37 am

So looking forward to reading this. Flowers can completely make an interior. Congratulations and wish you much success with the new book!

• Reply Serena October 30, 2013 at 11:16 am

I will order my copy for my birthday, on 17th of November! A great gift for me yep! ;)
    Serena

• Reply jo Williams October 30, 2013 at 11:34 am

the book looks fabulous! I was so hoping I could add it to my Christmas List but I will have wait until March! At least it will be springtime and I can get stuck into all the projects immediately! xx

• Reply Corinne October 30, 2013 at 2:50 pm

Decorate and flowers? This has to be the best news of the day. Congratulations to both of you for a book that will certainly become another best seller.

• Reply caroline @trend-daily October 30, 2013 at 6:31 pm

Huge congratulations to you both! Really look forward to seeing it :-)

• Reply Debbie Kelly (GirlWhimsy) October 30, 2013 at 10:15 pm

O.M.G. I cannot wait to get my hands on this book! The cover alone is swoon worthy! Congratulations! Pray you are feeling well!

• Reply Julie the alkaline sister October 31, 2013 at 8:08 am

Congrats Holly!! Can’t wait to get my signed copy and dig in!

• Reply Tanya October 31, 2013 at 4:16 pm

Hi holly, I just got to tweet once, it’s not working properly!! Aaahhhhh no!! Il keep trying for the BYW course x

• Reply Kim November 1, 2013 at 7:35 am

This is lovely! It involves two of my favorite loves, flowers and photography! I’ll have to pick this up for sure! That jacket cover using one of Leslie’s patterns Is gorgeous too!

• Reply Teresa dos Santos November 1, 2013 at 6:17 pm

Congratulations, that is amazing! I really love flowers

• Reply Nancy November 1, 2013 at 11:30 pm

I am excited about your book. I am a floral designer for a large entertainment company in Central Florida, as well as a decorator. Alhough I make my living professionally this way, I am all about everyone enhancing their surroundings, whether home or business, with beautiful things. I teach that when accessorized with florals, a living thing, new life is breathed into any setting. A simple bud vase or tussy mussy on a bedside table or desk, is as impactful to the eye as a centerpiece at a banquet. Hurray for your new endeavor! I look forward to reading it and seeing the lovely photos!