Colorful Artwork of Ana Montiel

The artwork of London-based, Spanish visual artist and designer Ana Montiel takes me to a happy place today. The first two works were part of a show at the Pop up Galerie recently in Paris. Artists were invited to choose an album cover and revisit it for the show. Ana combines her passion for flowers with a favorite album, New Order’s iconic “Power Corruption and Lies”. About this project she says, “I love the album, the original Fantin-Latour still life and the Peter Saville album design. I originally made the drawing with watercolour and sumi-e ink to then translate it to a 3 ink composition ready to be screen printed.” The album is shown below the first two paintings below. Lovely, right? By the way, I know we’re heading into Christmas but I’m really into yellows and greens lately. Crazy!

AnaMontiel-PowerCorruptionAndLies_AlternateVersion800px

AnaMontiel-PowerCorruptionAndLies_800px

AnaMontiel-PowerCorruptionAndLies_Original800px

I really like seeing work like this because I’m a music lover and actually miss the care that I feel once went into album covers. It seems thoughtful covers are a dying art these days, at least in mainstream music. In fact, the last more mainstream album art that I got excited about was Keane’s, “Under the Iron Sea“. I must confess though, my ultimate favorite record cover was from The Smiths, This Charming Man, which I have framed on my wall at home. I love the image showing Jean Marais from Cocteau’s film Orpheus.

Below you can see more stunning watercolors by Ana for the ultimate eye candy escape today. You can also learn more about Ana here (I love her bangs!) and watch this charming video about her life and work. What an interesting woman! I especially enjoyed seeing her paint and hearing her thoughts about, “Living in the NOW”, which I feel are so important. Some of her clients include Anthropologie, Carolina Herrera, Jo Malone, Nina Ricci and Rolling Stone Magazine to name a few.

AnaMontiel-MountainMantra01

AnaMontiel-Now_5_970

AnaMontiel-MountainFamily

AnaMontiel-GouacheMantra_03

AnaMontiel-BalloonPeople_InProgress

AnaMontiel-GouacheMantra_01

AnaMontiel-GouacheMantra_04

Lucky for us, she has an online shop where you can purchase lots of these paintings as prints to frame. Aren’t these pretty?

By the way, do you have a favorite album cover? I’d love to know more!

(images: Ana Montiel)

Posted by decor8 in Arts + Crafts on November 12, 2013

1. Chantal commented
    November 12th, 2013 at 6:03pm

Hi Holly,
    I love the art prints of Ana Montiel. The patterned ones would all fit as background colour for a blog. They even brighten up a rainy greyish day. Thanks for sharing with us.
    Chantal
    Chantal´s last blog post ..Proud student at Decor8

2. Yuri commented
    November 12th, 2013 at 9:24pm

.. love the way Ana combines colors in the flowers series, so that the effect of shimmering appears :)
    Yuri´s last blog post ..Margot Fonteyn Ballerina Painting – Peach Dancer Art from Ballet Series by Yuri Pysar by Pysar

3. Kate commented
    November 12th, 2013 at 11:12pm

Loved many of these! Pinning some to my art inspiration board on Pinterest.
    Kate´s last blog post ..Veda House

4. Felicia Marthe commented
    November 12th, 2013 at 11:22pm

love love love the colours!
    Felicia Marthe´s last blog post ..I just can’t get enough.

5. mireya pizarro commented
    November 13th, 2013 at 3:14am

Wonderful post! I have this new found appreciation for art and anything art. Recently I have explored typography. I love art and I enjoyed the beautiful pictures. I would love to know more about this- I originally made the drawing with watercolour and sumi-e ink to then translate it to a 3 ink composition ready to be screen printed.”

6. Sujatha commented
    November 13th, 2013 at 9:26am

These are so lovely; they definitely transport you to a lovely place..full of colour. Thanks for sharing!
    Sujatha´s last blog post ..From trash to treasure in a snap

7. caridad isabel barragan commented
    November 13th, 2013 at 10:06am

I really like the delicate tones of her work.

8. Shalagh Hogan commented
    November 13th, 2013 at 1:00pm

Lovely. The palette, the feeling of kindness. My Wee Fiona’s room needs art. And YES, I miss the value of the album cover art terribly. Thank you Holly.
    Love,
    Shalagh
    Shalagh Hogan´s last blog post ..Coming Out and Carrying On

9. Diane Wilson commented
    November 13th, 2013 at 10:21pm

Lampara is also proud to be using Ana Montiel’s designs for our lampshades- I knew she was the right choice!

Diane from Lampara

10. L'Oliphant commented
    November 18th, 2013 at 9:56am

Thank you for that discover! ;)

11. Salma commented