Decorating Our Baby’s Room: Part One

Hello everyone! I thought you may enjoy to see the mood board to our baby’s room that I’ve been working off of for a few months now and to learn a little about the process of putting it all together. I didn’t imagine a “blue” room and wasn’t interested in mixing in pop culture references or anything too theme-y, so I kept it light, friendly, creative and happy and also in colors that work with the rest of our home. Here is my mood board and the 12 steps that I took to pull the look together.

ourbabyboyroom_decor8
CLICK ON IMAGE TO SEE EVERYTHING CLEARLY AND TO READ MY COMMENTS

1. Inspiration + Mood. First, I selected a “jumping off point”, a place to begin. For me, it was a patterned wallpaper. I had wanted wallpaper in the space since I first began thinking about a nursery so this was a natural starting point for me. I also started a private pinboard and a file on my desktop where I have been saving all of ideas from lighting to furnishings.
2. Measurements. Next, I measured the room.
3. Wallpaper + Colors. I decided if I wanted all walls patterned or just one. Decided on just one. Then I thought about the mood that I wanted to create. The color palette came naturally when I found the wallpaper that I loved. I pulled the palette directly from the pattern. Easy!
4. Paint. I picked a paint color for the other 3 walls to coordinate with the wallpaper, choose all white paint for the ceiling.
5. Flooring. The floor in the new apartment, at least in the back part of the house where the bedrooms are, was originally faux wood linoleum. It was a mess with tons of scratches. We decided on an Acorn hardwood floor with a matte finish and it is currently being installed. Yay!
6. Furnishings. I had nothing to put into the room, so I had to start from scratch so I chose the eco-baby bed first, then moved on from there. I’m still looking for a free-standing wooden closet. After the crib and storage, including wall boxes, a small bookcase and stackable wooden storage boxes for the floor with cut out faces, I thought about a comfortable rocker but I wanted something very well made, cozy and more of a glider but nothing that screamed out, “Baby Rocker!”. That’s not a bad thing, I simply want to be able to have my son use this chair in his room for many years.
7. Rugs. I choose two. A round felted rug that I’ve custom-ordered with hundreds of tiny balls to form a circular rug. The second will be a larger, rectangular (5×7) flokati rug because I love how soft and cozy they are and I know it will look great against the wood flooring.
8. Lighting. I ordered a sweet porcelain owl lamp and my friend gave me a darling hedgehog night light, so I’m now trying to find the perfect pendant for the room and a reading light for next to the chair…
9. Bedding. I started to buy bedding and finished the quilt I had begun making before I got pregnant for my “someday” baby. I’ve also been gifted with bedding so I’ll work that into the room after everything is in place – so far, all of it works color-wise so it will be pretty.
10. Windows. Soon I’ll have a custom roman shade made for the window. Thinking to do white with a yellow border so it looks very neat and I can bring out more of the golden yellow in the room. The yellow is the exact color of billy buttons (craspedia) so I’d like to work more of it into the room. Or I may go with a very nice patterned shade. Still thinking about that one…
11. Art. I’ll pick out art for the walls, make my own artwork (I have a nice idea for this), create a bunting, and add a few more accessories to warm up the space. I would rather wait though until I have everything in place and then think about artwork, especially since I have some pieces in storage that may work that are also meaningful to me.
12. Accessories. With the basics in place, I’ve already begun to slowly buy a few accessories, children’s books and of course, sweet tiny baby clothes. I would rather let this part grow organically since I know my friends and family will enjoy giving us sweet things. I’d rather have the accessories be very memory rich for us all vs. stuff I just loaded up on pre-birth from a store.

I’ll soon show you before and during photos, link to all of the products that I end up using in the design, and then… the big AFTER reveal! I should have the part two post up by mid December and the “After” photos during the first week of January… So stay tuned!

What do you guys think???

Posted by decor8 in Decorating Tips on November 23, 2013

1. Gretchen commented
    November 23rd, 2013 at 1:43pm

Love it! I have randomly been up since 4:30 this am, and I kept checking to see if you posted it. Love it, and it is going to be such an amazing space for the little guy. XO
    Gretchen´s last blog post ..Shadow box ornaments

2. Lucy Chen commented
    November 23rd, 2013 at 2:31pm

This is so exciting, Holly! Thank you so much for sharing your planning process, so we can “pick your brain”. So that’s how you tackle a room! Now I know what to do.

May I ask a few questions, please? Do you buy exactly what you pinned? Is it hard to find the exact things?

And I can’t wait to see the before, during, and after photos!!!
    Lucy Chen´s last blog post ..On Truth, Beauty and the Secret of A Masterpiece

3. Lucy Chen commented
    November 23rd, 2013 at 2:31pm

OH, and also with your baby in the room, too! ;)
    Lucy Chen´s last blog post ..On Truth, Beauty and the Secret of A Masterpiece

4. Mijk commented
    November 23rd, 2013 at 2:38pm

8it’s lovely! You might want to add something with a bit more contrast for your’re son to look at…. babies ar e wildly interestesd in black and white contrast because they can actually see them (-as tehy can’t with pastels and soft neutrals…

5. Janet Kemp commented
    November 23rd, 2013 at 2:58pm

Ahhhh,Holly, love, love, love………wallpaper wall and the ball rug, my favourite. The colours are secure and comforting with the pops of colour. Your baby will love the interesting space………love the boxes too……..do your family have any of your or T old childhood books. They would look perfect on the shelves…. Thanks for showing us.

6. decor8 commented
    November 23rd, 2013 at 3:46pm

@Janet – Thank you!!! I have some books from my childhood and books I’ve been collecting as an adult long before I knew I would have a baby, please my publisher (Chronicle) sent me a beautiful box of children’s books, so I feel really happy with my growing collection at the moment! I definitely had to have a bookcase in the baby’s room – being a writer, I cannot imagine passing down our love for books (my husband is also a writer) with our little boy. :)

7. decor8 commented
    November 23rd, 2013 at 3:48pm

@Mijk – That will come through the books, artwork and accessories – this is just the foundation bits. I’m not big on high contrasts though, plus I want him to bring in his own style to the mix over the years, but for now I’m quite happy with it as is, too. :)

8. Marinda commented
    November 23rd, 2013 at 3:48pm

This looks amazing! You thought everything out so well. I was just thinking about if there was anything left for your friends and family to give to you, and then you pointed that out in the accesoires section (: I really love how personal your blog is.

9. decor8 commented
    November 23rd, 2013 at 3:48pm

@Gretchen – Thank you so much! :) xoxoxo

10. decor8 commented
    November 23rd, 2013 at 3:50pm

@Lucy – Yes that’s what I do, usually. I outline my steps in my latest book that was published last Fall called Decorate Workshop so if you happen to find a copy where you live, check it out if you liked this post. No, I don’t buy exactly what I’ve pinned if certain things are not available in Germany – BUT I usually only pin from shops that I know ship over here or are currently based here to make it easier and less disappointing.

11. Tag für Ideen commented
    November 23rd, 2013 at 3:53pm

soooo beautiful…

12. Kerstin von sanvie commented
    November 23rd, 2013 at 4:03pm

Sooo cute! I love it all!

13. Dana Jallad commented
    November 23rd, 2013 at 5:03pm

I love everything you picked out for the baby nursery. Can you please list where you got each piece? Thanks!

14. All things nice... commented
    November 23rd, 2013 at 5:37pm

Holly,

Not sure what is wrong, it obviously must be something from my end of things but none of the images are appearing on your blog post for me, just the text. Anyone know why this is happening? I can see images everywhere else but not on your posts :(

All things nice…
    All things nice…´s last blog post ..Cute Christmas Advert… The Bear and the Hare

15. Michelle commented
    November 23rd, 2013 at 6:20pm

I love what you’ve put together! I’m so excited to see it completed, including the little guy, lol! I personally prefer a low contrast area for my babies to sleep in – because I want them to sleep, not be stimulated there! I agree with Marinda, I enjoy that you share some of your personal life with us, it’s a lot of fun to see a decorator (decor8or? Ok, cheesy, haha!) at work for her own family! Thanks for sharing!!

16. Irene commented
    November 23rd, 2013 at 6:28pm

Oh, my boy is coming in late February and I’m starting to decorate right now… I just ordered a crawling blanket by Koeka. Your choses are so beautiful!
    Irene´s last blog post ..What We Ate In Portland

17. Toks commented
    November 23rd, 2013 at 7:10pm

I love it! I alos like the faact that you used a solid yellow border on white fabric for the window, keeping things really simple despite the presence of patterns. Well done and congratulations!

18. Laurel commented
    November 23rd, 2013 at 7:16pm

Hope you are feeling well Holly! The room looks like it will be beautiful. Don’t forget about yourself! Having a little mama corner/stash is so helpful for those very long nursing/napping sessions. My aunt gave me a little New Mama care package after my son was born with all kinds of goodies; treats, a girly magazine, lotions and lip balms, etc….just little indulgences and it really made all the difference!

Take good care and keep those feet up!

19. Tina Slocum commented
    November 23rd, 2013 at 7:44pm

Holly,
    The wallpaper is darling and the colors are lovely! I love the forest creatures and animals that you’ve added for your Son and as part of the decor.
    A very Happy and cosy nursery to come home to and grown in. Xox

20. decor8 commented
    November 23rd, 2013 at 8:16pm

@Dana – Yes, in Part Two I will!

21. Lauren commented
    November 23rd, 2013 at 8:37pm

Hello,
    Gorgeous !! I love it. So peaceful. Thank you for sharing the whole process with us.
    I also put a bookcase in my sons’ rooms when they were babies. I could not imagine them growing up in a room without books. Of course, I also put nice storage boxes and lovely pails in the bookcase to put some toys away and add variety, and also some nice toys. Many children like to see their toys. If they do not see them, they seem to forget they have them.
    I love the wooden storage boxes. One concern, though: when your son starts crawling and walking, those boxes might become a hazard as your son will want to grab toys stored inside the bottom box. The other boxes can fall on his little feet. You would have to put them all on the floor, but preferably not stacked. Plus, the corners are quite sharp.
    Of course, that is just my point of view and experience.. but anything that can fall on a little boy’s feet…will fall on his feet !
    I love your moodboard, though. It is a great source of inspiration for all of us !
    I hope the end of your pregnancy will be perfect !
    Lauren

22. Lauren commented
    November 23rd, 2013 at 8:39pm

Hello again,
    I would love to know where you found the robot cushion (and all the rest, actually !!).
    All the best. Lauren

23. Laura commented
    November 23rd, 2013 at 8:41pm

The tapet is so nice and i like the cushions! Congrats for “the boy”
    Laura´s last blog post ..St Pancras Penthouse

24. Jill Seidner | Interior Design commented
    November 23rd, 2013 at 8:47pm

Super cute! Love the little details like the doorstop.

25. Hillary Courson commented
    November 23rd, 2013 at 9:00pm

Glad to know that you have some meaningful pieces tucked away that you can use too. This room will be wonderful but it will be those vintage or family pieces (your own?) that will make it “perfect”! Best wishes.

26. Kathleen Alexander commented
    November 23rd, 2013 at 9:27pm

Love love love the little wall boxes. You will find so many cute things to fill them. Darling choices. There aee so many out there. Good for you to at least narrow it down!
    Kathleen

27. Helen dol commented
    November 23rd, 2013 at 9:30pm

I love it, I have done a neutral baby’s room and it is so functional and calming.

28. Jade commented
    November 23rd, 2013 at 9:59pm

Love it! Perfect little boys room

29. Lesley Myrick commented
    November 23rd, 2013 at 11:08pm

LOVE your glider, Holly! I’m on the hunt for one right now. They’re all so expensive, but so worth it for good one…
    Lesley Myrick´s last blog post ..Lovely Web Links: November 7, 2013

30. Barbara Cortili commented
    November 23rd, 2013 at 11:42pm

That owl lamp is a must have and that robot pillow are a must have! :)
    Barbara Cortili´s last blog post ..Pretty Notebooks For Designers

31. decor8 commented
    November 24th, 2013 at 12:02am

Hillary Courson,

Yes that is important to me so I’m making some things by hand and friends are giving me little bits, so it will feel really cozy and loving in the space once it’s pulled together. I can’t wait to show everyone!

32. decor8 commented
    November 24th, 2013 at 12:03am

Lauren, If you don’t mind, I am going to reveal all sources in Part Two of this post which will be up mid December. Stay tuned!

33. Miki commented
    November 24th, 2013 at 12:04am

OMG love it sooo cute <3
    Miki´s last blog post ..Inspired by..Andy Warhol

34. Ananda commented
    November 24th, 2013 at 8:56am

Absolutely adorable Holly! What a lucky little baby boy :)
    I loved the Wall Boxes with different background colors. The colors work so well with the wallpaper. Just adorable, everything!
    Thanks for sharing with us.

35. Michelle commented
    November 24th, 2013 at 9:13am

It is going to look so good, I love how you’ve kept it fairly neutral and not too babyish. Cant wait to see you put it together Im sure its starting to feel much more real once you get the room painted, furnished and set up :)
    Michelle´s last blog post ..What Does Adventure Mean To You?

36. Laurence W commented
    November 24th, 2013 at 10:55am

It’s great as usual ! Full of details , explanations and ideas ! I’ve just bought your last book ” Decorate workshop” ( published in French , Yeah ! ) so now I can embark on my own project ( decorating our bedroom ) ! And I like your idea of bringing the “personal – handmade” touch .

37. uschi commented
    November 24th, 2013 at 11:43am

hi there, for the last few days the newsletter has been showing correctly. it just gives the post title but no content. what happened to the usual preview within the email ?
    thanks for all your wonderful and inspiring posts !

38. uschi commented
    November 24th, 2013 at 11:43am

of course it should read: has NOT been showing …

39. Masha * october sixteenth commented
    November 24th, 2013 at 11:54am

I love it! Thanks for sharing with us. I look forward to seeing the room furnished.

Happy day!
    Masha
    Masha * october sixteenth´s last blog post ..Der Wald ruft. Und ein paar Herbstinspirationen.

40. Vanessa commented
    November 24th, 2013 at 1:34pm

Such a lovely time – all this anticipation…
    My favourite quote about the nearing birth of a first baby & motherhood:
    “I begin to see this little creature as a fresh twist to a knot which I do not wish to untie…”
    Wish I could do it all over again, it was a beautiful, reflective time in our marriage. I am loving all you share here :)
    Vanessa

41. tine commented
    November 24th, 2013 at 1:56pm

Hello Holly,

i’m a moomy right now too and it is so exciting.
    So what i will show you is the sweetest lamp ever… i love them and now my smilla loved them too. she is 19 month.

It’ s from Lampin & me. you find there website online.
    the modell i mean is called lampin & me too.

hope you like it ;o)

tine

42. Sarah Stäbler commented
    November 24th, 2013 at 3:01pm

I love your ideas! Everything looks great & I can’t wait to see the final décor!

Our baby won’t have its own nursery for a while, so that makes it harder to decorate. We don’t know the sex yet, but I’m still drawn to some more neutral colors for now.

I’m 15 weeks pregnant, so there’s still time to dream & plan. :)
    Sarah Stäbler´s last blog post ..Celebrate life

43. Nadia commented
    November 24th, 2013 at 5:18pm

First of all, congratulations! I’m a long-time reader but obviously it has been quite a while since I’ve been on your blog (having had a baby daughter myself last December, I find I have hardly any time any more for reading all the lovely blogs I usually follow), and I didn’t realize you were having your much-wanted baby! That’s fabulous news.

These are awesome ideas for your little boy’s room. We had our baby in our bedroom with us for the first six months and I was using the room she is in now as a sewing room, so I didn’t start decorating it for her until she ‘moved in’ in June. I am still enjoying the process! I just wanted to let expectant moms know that it doesn’t necessarily all have to be done before the baby arrives, so don’t stress yourselves out about making sure things are perfect before baby comes. If you don’t have enough time or (like me) you’re using the room that baby will eventually be in for something else right now, you can always enjoy doing the room up even while the baby is occupying it. (They don’t care about the decoration as much as we do! They just want your love and attention.)

I’m looking forward to more posts on babies’ rooms, and I wonder (totally guessing here) whether your next book might be about child-themed decorating? I would buy it in a flash, to add to my trusty and well-loved collection of your other books.

All best wishes for an enjoyable rest-of-pregnancy and a smooth, hassle-free house move.

44. decor8 commented
    November 24th, 2013 at 5:27pm

@Uschi – Not sure, haven’t heard this before. But I’ll look into it.

45. Jody Henry commented
    November 24th, 2013 at 7:20pm

You are very creative and I like the fact that you are keeping away from pop culture and sticking with timeless themes.

46. Faith | Ordinary Mommy Design commented
    November 24th, 2013 at 8:52pm

I love the soothing neutral feel of the space! Really gorgeous. Thanks for sharing that step-by-step process too. That will be so helpful for me!

47. Kim commented
    November 25th, 2013 at 8:20am

I love this color palette! It’s so soothing, I’m sure “he” will love it!
    Kim´s last blog post ..Curtsey Boutique

48. Maria commented
    November 25th, 2013 at 10:41am

Hi Holly, I L O V E your Blog so so much and during our Houserenovation (it’s still going on and sometimes it wrecks my nerves *;-)* I feel so inspired by our ideas and colors!

I also love your ideas for your baby-boy room and I think, it’s also a good idea to concentrate on one design of one company. Here it’s from Ferm Living and it feels like a deep breath of fresh air to look at it.

And for sure, Ingela P. Arrhenius is such a great illustrator.

Maybe your little baby won’t notice it in the first month. BUT your boy will notice and feel the good spirit from his Mum – you :-) – when you both are in this wonderfull room.
    Wish you all the best & I say SORRY for my not soooo good English.

Best wishes!
    Maria

49. Nicola commented
    November 25th, 2013 at 11:44am

Oh Holly, this is gorgeous. I’ve been waiting for soooo long… Now its here, your blog about your little boys room. We are expecting a baby in May next year and I like you rooms sooo much.

Thank you so much for the awesome ideas!

All the best for you.
    Regards Nicola

50. Talula Mae commented
    November 25th, 2013 at 11:47am

I will have to remember to refer to here when I have my baby! Lovely. xTM
    Talula Mae´s last blog post ..Purple pop!

51. Patricia commented
    November 25th, 2013 at 4:28pm

Love it!!! I really like that it says boy without screaming boy – if that makes sense. It’s all in that color palette (my fav part). Can’t wait to see how it comes together!

52. Jerroid Marks commented
    November 25th, 2013 at 4:48pm

I really like the colors and patterns you have chosen for the room. Your boy is going to love it.

53. Mike Batliner commented
    November 26th, 2013 at 2:07am

This is going to be one nice looking boys room. You really hit the nail on the head with the colors and images without going to crazy.

54. Dianna commented
    November 26th, 2013 at 3:43pm

I think this is so great and exciting! Great neutrality and variety of patterns and simplicity! He’ll love his little nursery. Such an exciting time for you!
    xo
    Dianna´s last blog post ..Zucchini Cinnamon Swirl Bundt Cake

55. Lucy Chen commented
    November 29th, 2013 at 11:56am

decor8,

Oh I see! Thanks, Holly. I’m getting your 2nd book when I get to Sydney. We’re moving there next month from China.

I have your 1st book and love it. It was the book that helped me discovered my personal interior style. Thing is, I love the colorful style and THE living room I would dye for is Bri Emery’s Living Room!

It’s not a simple process to decorate a room though.
    Lucy Chen´s last blog post ..The Shortcut to Make the Best Ever Christmas Gift in Record Time

56. Shannon commented
    December 4th, 2013 at 7:38pm

I love rooms that are for baby but don’t SCREAM baby colors…:)

I wanted to know from where those wall boxes come from?

57. Stephanie commented
    January 29th, 2014 at 6:44pm

What a beautiful room! (And congratulations!) Could you share (or does anyone know?) the source of the animal prints and pull-toy on the wall in the second photo? I know some littles who would love these …

58. decor8 commented
    January 30th, 2014 at 5:44pm

@Stephanie – Zenzi Design based in Germany

59. Sywar commented
    February 2nd, 2014 at 4:36pm

Beautiful, may I ask which program you used to put all the mood board together ? is this photoshop ?

60. Sywar commented
    February 2nd, 2014 at 4:37pm

oh and also the font of the mood board, i love that sript ? which one is it please

61. decor8 commented