Decorating Tips

Decorating Our Baby’s Room: Part One

November 23, 2013

Hello everyone! I thought you may enjoy to see the mood board to our baby’s room that I’ve been working off of for a few months now and to learn a little about the process of putting it all together. I didn’t imagine a “blue” room and wasn’t interested in mixing in pop culture references or anything too theme-y, so I kept it light, friendly, creative and happy and also in colors that work with the rest of our home. Here is my mood board and the 12 steps that I took to pull the look together.

Decorating Our Babys Room: Part One
CLICK ON IMAGE TO SEE EVERYTHING CLEARLY AND TO READ MY COMMENTS

1. Inspiration + Mood. First, I selected a “jumping off point”, a place to begin. For me, it was a patterned wallpaper. I had wanted wallpaper in the space since I first began thinking about a nursery so this was a natural starting point for me. I also started a private pinboard and a file on my desktop where I have been saving all of ideas from lighting to furnishings.
2. Measurements. Next, I measured the room.
3. Wallpaper + Colors. I decided if I wanted all walls patterned or just one. Decided on just one. Then I thought about the mood that I wanted to create. The color palette came naturally when I found the wallpaper that I loved. I pulled the palette directly from the pattern. Easy!
4. Paint. I picked a paint color for the other 3 walls to coordinate with the wallpaper, choose all white paint for the ceiling.
5. Flooring. The floor in the new apartment, at least in the back part of the house where the bedrooms are, was originally faux wood linoleum. It was a mess with tons of scratches. We decided on an Acorn hardwood floor with a matte finish and it is currently being installed. Yay!
6. Furnishings. I had nothing to put into the room, so I had to start from scratch so I chose the eco-baby bed first, then moved on from there. I’m still looking for a free-standing wooden closet. After the crib and storage, including wall boxes, a small bookcase and stackable wooden storage boxes for the floor with cut out faces, I thought about a comfortable rocker but I wanted something very well made, cozy and more of a glider but nothing that screamed out, “Baby Rocker!”. That’s not a bad thing, I simply want to be able to have my son use this chair in his room for many years.
7. Rugs. I choose two. A round felted rug that I’ve custom-ordered with hundreds of tiny balls to form a circular rug. The second will be a larger, rectangular (5×7) flokati rug because I love how soft and cozy they are and I know it will look great against the wood flooring.
8. Lighting. I ordered a sweet porcelain owl lamp and my friend gave me a darling hedgehog night light, so I’m now trying to find the perfect pendant for the room and a reading light for next to the chair…
9. Bedding. I started to buy bedding and finished the quilt I had begun making before I got pregnant for my “someday” baby. I’ve also been gifted with bedding so I’ll work that into the room after everything is in place – so far, all of it works color-wise so it will be pretty.
10. Windows. Soon I’ll have a custom roman shade made for the window. Thinking to do white with a yellow border so it looks very neat and I can bring out more of the golden yellow in the room. The yellow is the exact color of billy buttons (craspedia) so I’d like to work more of it into the room. Or I may go with a very nice patterned shade. Still thinking about that one…
11. Art. I’ll pick out art for the walls, make my own artwork (I have a nice idea for this), create a bunting, and add a few more accessories to warm up the space. I would rather wait though until I have everything in place and then think about artwork, especially since I have some pieces in storage that may work that are also meaningful to me.
12. Accessories. With the basics in place, I’ve already begun to slowly buy a few accessories, children’s books and of course, sweet tiny baby clothes. I would rather let this part grow organically since I know my friends and family will enjoy giving us sweet things. I’d rather have the accessories be very memory rich for us all vs. stuff I just loaded up on pre-birth from a store.

I’ll soon show you before and during photos, link to all of the products that I end up using in the design, and then… the big AFTER reveal! I should have the part two post up by mid December and the “After” photos during the first week of January… So stay tuned!

What do you guys think???

You Might Also Like

61 Comments

• Reply Gretchen November 23, 2013 at 1:43 pm

Love it! I have randomly been up since 4:30 this am, and I kept checking to see if you posted it. Love it, and it is going to be such an amazing space for the little guy. XO

• Reply decor8 November 23, 2013 at 3:48 pm

@Gretchen – Thank you so much! :) xoxoxo

• Reply Lucy Chen November 23, 2013 at 2:31 pm

This is so exciting, Holly! Thank you so much for sharing your planning process, so we can “pick your brain”. So that’s how you tackle a room! Now I know what to do.

May I ask a few questions, please? Do you buy exactly what you pinned? Is it hard to find the exact things?

And I can’t wait to see the before, during, and after photos!!!

• Reply decor8 November 23, 2013 at 3:50 pm

@Lucy – Yes that’s what I do, usually. I outline my steps in my latest book that was published last Fall called Decorate Workshop so if you happen to find a copy where you live, check it out if you liked this post. No, I don’t buy exactly what I’ve pinned if certain things are not available in Germany – BUT I usually only pin from shops that I know ship over here or are currently based here to make it easier and less disappointing.

• Reply Lucy Chen November 23, 2013 at 2:31 pm

OH, and also with your baby in the room, too! ;)

• Reply Mijk November 23, 2013 at 2:38 pm

8it’s lovely! You might want to add something with a bit more contrast for your’re son to look at…. babies ar e wildly interestesd in black and white contrast because they can actually see them (-as tehy can’t with pastels and soft neutrals…

• Reply decor8 November 23, 2013 at 3:48 pm

@Mijk – That will come through the books, artwork and accessories – this is just the foundation bits. I’m not big on high contrasts though, plus I want him to bring in his own style to the mix over the years, but for now I’m quite happy with it as is, too. :)

• Reply Janet Kemp November 23, 2013 at 2:58 pm

Ahhhh,Holly, love, love, love………wallpaper wall and the ball rug, my favourite. The colours are secure and comforting with the pops of colour. Your baby will love the interesting space………love the boxes too……..do your family have any of your or T old childhood books. They would look perfect on the shelves…. Thanks for showing us.

• Reply decor8 November 23, 2013 at 3:46 pm

@Janet – Thank you!!! I have some books from my childhood and books I’ve been collecting as an adult long before I knew I would have a baby, please my publisher (Chronicle) sent me a beautiful box of children’s books, so I feel really happy with my growing collection at the moment! I definitely had to have a bookcase in the baby’s room – being a writer, I cannot imagine passing down our love for books (my husband is also a writer) with our little boy. :)

• Reply Marinda November 23, 2013 at 3:48 pm

This looks amazing! You thought everything out so well. I was just thinking about if there was anything left for your friends and family to give to you, and then you pointed that out in the accesoires section (: I really love how personal your blog is.

• Reply Tag für Ideen November 23, 2013 at 3:53 pm

soooo beautiful…

• Reply Kerstin von sanvie November 23, 2013 at 4:03 pm

Sooo cute! I love it all!

• Reply Dana Jallad November 23, 2013 at 5:03 pm

I love everything you picked out for the baby nursery. Can you please list where you got each piece? Thanks!

• Reply decor8 November 23, 2013 at 8:16 pm

@Dana – Yes, in Part Two I will!

• Reply All things nice... November 23, 2013 at 5:37 pm

Holly,

Not sure what is wrong, it obviously must be something from my end of things but none of the images are appearing on your blog post for me, just the text. Anyone know why this is happening? I can see images everywhere else but not on your posts :(

All things nice…

• Reply Michelle November 23, 2013 at 6:20 pm

I love what you’ve put together! I’m so excited to see it completed, including the little guy, lol! I personally prefer a low contrast area for my babies to sleep in – because I want them to sleep, not be stimulated there! I agree with Marinda, I enjoy that you share some of your personal life with us, it’s a lot of fun to see a decorator (decor8or? Ok, cheesy, haha!) at work for her own family! Thanks for sharing!!

• Reply Irene November 23, 2013 at 6:28 pm

Oh, my boy is coming in late February and I’m starting to decorate right now… I just ordered a crawling blanket by Koeka. Your choses are so beautiful!

• Reply Toks November 23, 2013 at 7:10 pm

I love it! I alos like the faact that you used a solid yellow border on white fabric for the window, keeping things really simple despite the presence of patterns. Well done and congratulations!

• Reply Laurel November 23, 2013 at 7:16 pm

Hope you are feeling well Holly! The room looks like it will be beautiful. Don’t forget about yourself! Having a little mama corner/stash is so helpful for those very long nursing/napping sessions. My aunt gave me a little New Mama care package after my son was born with all kinds of goodies; treats, a girly magazine, lotions and lip balms, etc….just little indulgences and it really made all the difference!

Take good care and keep those feet up!

• Reply Tina Slocum November 23, 2013 at 7:44 pm

Holly,
    The wallpaper is darling and the colors are lovely! I love the forest creatures and animals that you’ve added for your Son and as part of the decor.
    A very Happy and cosy nursery to come home to and grown in. Xox

• Reply Lauren November 23, 2013 at 8:37 pm

Hello,
    Gorgeous !! I love it. So peaceful. Thank you for sharing the whole process with us.
    I also put a bookcase in my sons’ rooms when they were babies. I could not imagine them growing up in a room without books. Of course, I also put nice storage boxes and lovely pails in the bookcase to put some toys away and add variety, and also some nice toys. Many children like to see their toys. If they do not see them, they seem to forget they have them.
    I love the wooden storage boxes. One concern, though: when your son starts crawling and walking, those boxes might become a hazard as your son will want to grab toys stored inside the bottom box. The other boxes can fall on his little feet. You would have to put them all on the floor, but preferably not stacked. Plus, the corners are quite sharp.
    Of course, that is just my point of view and experience.. but anything that can fall on a little boy’s feet…will fall on his feet !
    I love your moodboard, though. It is a great source of inspiration for all of us !
    I hope the end of your pregnancy will be perfect !
    Lauren

• Reply Lauren November 23, 2013 at 8:39 pm

Hello again,
    I would love to know where you found the robot cushion (and all the rest, actually !!).
    All the best. Lauren

• Reply Laura November 23, 2013 at 8:41 pm

The tapet is so nice and i like the cushions! Congrats for “the boy”

• Reply Jill Seidner | Interior Design November 23, 2013 at 8:47 pm

Super cute! Love the little details like the doorstop.

• Reply Hillary Courson November 23, 2013 at 9:00 pm

Glad to know that you have some meaningful pieces tucked away that you can use too. This room will be wonderful but it will be those vintage or family pieces (your own?) that will make it “perfect”! Best wishes.

• Reply Kathleen Alexander November 23, 2013 at 9:27 pm

Love love love the little wall boxes. You will find so many cute things to fill them. Darling choices. There aee so many out there. Good for you to at least narrow it down!
    Kathleen

• Reply Helen dol November 23, 2013 at 9:30 pm

I love it, I have done a neutral baby’s room and it is so functional and calming.

• Reply Jade November 23, 2013 at 9:59 pm

Love it! Perfect little boys room

• Reply Lesley Myrick November 23, 2013 at 11:08 pm

LOVE your glider, Holly! I’m on the hunt for one right now. They’re all so expensive, but so worth it for good one…

• Reply Barbara Cortili November 23, 2013 at 11:42 pm

That owl lamp is a must have and that robot pillow are a must have! :)

• Reply decor8 November 24, 2013 at 12:02 am

Hillary Courson,

Yes that is important to me so I’m making some things by hand and friends are giving me little bits, so it will feel really cozy and loving in the space once it’s pulled together. I can’t wait to show everyone!

• Reply decor8 November 24, 2013 at 12:03 am

Lauren, If you don’t mind, I am going to reveal all sources in Part Two of this post which will be up mid December. Stay tuned!

• Reply Miki November 24, 2013 at 12:04 am

OMG love it sooo cute <3

• Reply Ananda November 24, 2013 at 8:56 am

Absolutely adorable Holly! What a lucky little baby boy :)
    I loved the Wall Boxes with different background colors. The colors work so well with the wallpaper. Just adorable, everything!
    Thanks for sharing with us.

• Reply Michelle November 24, 2013 at 9:13 am

It is going to look so good, I love how you’ve kept it fairly neutral and not too babyish. Cant wait to see you put it together Im sure its starting to feel much more real once you get the room painted, furnished and set up :)

• Reply Laurence W November 24, 2013 at 10:55 am

It’s great as usual ! Full of details , explanations and ideas ! I’ve just bought your last book ” Decorate workshop” ( published in French , Yeah ! ) so now I can embark on my own project ( decorating our bedroom ) ! And I like your idea of bringing the “personal – handmade” touch .

• Reply uschi November 24, 2013 at 11:43 am

hi there, for the last few days the newsletter has been showing correctly. it just gives the post title but no content. what happened to the usual preview within the email ?
    thanks for all your wonderful and inspiring posts !

• Reply decor8 November 24, 2013 at 5:27 pm

@Uschi – Not sure, haven’t heard this before. But I’ll look into it.

• Reply uschi November 24, 2013 at 11:43 am

of course it should read: has NOT been showing …

• Reply Masha * october sixteenth November 24, 2013 at 11:54 am

I love it! Thanks for sharing with us. I look forward to seeing the room furnished.

Happy day!
    Masha

• Reply Vanessa November 24, 2013 at 1:34 pm

Such a lovely time – all this anticipation…
    My favourite quote about the nearing birth of a first baby & motherhood:
    “I begin to see this little creature as a fresh twist to a knot which I do not wish to untie…”
    Wish I could do it all over again, it was a beautiful, reflective time in our marriage. I am loving all you share here :)
    Vanessa

• Reply tine November 24, 2013 at 1:56 pm

Hello Holly,

i’m a moomy right now too and it is so exciting.
    So what i will show you is the sweetest lamp ever… i love them and now my smilla loved them too. she is 19 month.

It’ s from Lampin & me. you find there website online.
    the modell i mean is called lampin & me too.

hope you like it ;o)

tine

• Reply Sarah Stäbler November 24, 2013 at 3:01 pm

I love your ideas! Everything looks great & I can’t wait to see the final décor!

Our baby won’t have its own nursery for a while, so that makes it harder to decorate. We don’t know the sex yet, but I’m still drawn to some more neutral colors for now.

I’m 15 weeks pregnant, so there’s still time to dream & plan. :)

• Reply Nadia November 24, 2013 at 5:18 pm

First of all, congratulations! I’m a long-time reader but obviously it has been quite a while since I’ve been on your blog (having had a baby daughter myself last December, I find I have hardly any time any more for reading all the lovely blogs I usually follow), and I didn’t realize you were having your much-wanted baby! That’s fabulous news.

These are awesome ideas for your little boy’s room. We had our baby in our bedroom with us for the first six months and I was using the room she is in now as a sewing room, so I didn’t start decorating it for her until she ‘moved in’ in June. I am still enjoying the process! I just wanted to let expectant moms know that it doesn’t necessarily all have to be done before the baby arrives, so don’t stress yourselves out about making sure things are perfect before baby comes. If you don’t have enough time or (like me) you’re using the room that baby will eventually be in for something else right now, you can always enjoy doing the room up even while the baby is occupying it. (They don’t care about the decoration as much as we do! They just want your love and attention.)

I’m looking forward to more posts on babies’ rooms, and I wonder (totally guessing here) whether your next book might be about child-themed decorating? I would buy it in a flash, to add to my trusty and well-loved collection of your other books.

All best wishes for an enjoyable rest-of-pregnancy and a smooth, hassle-free house move.

• Reply Jody Henry November 24, 2013 at 7:20 pm

You are very creative and I like the fact that you are keeping away from pop culture and sticking with timeless themes.

• Reply Faith | Ordinary Mommy Design November 24, 2013 at 8:52 pm

I love the soothing neutral feel of the space! Really gorgeous. Thanks for sharing that step-by-step process too. That will be so helpful for me!

• Reply Kim November 25, 2013 at 8:20 am

I love this color palette! It’s so soothing, I’m sure “he” will love it!

• Reply Maria November 25, 2013 at 10:41 am

Hi Holly, I L O V E your Blog so so much and during our Houserenovation (it’s still going on and sometimes it wrecks my nerves *;-)* I feel so inspired by our ideas and colors!

I also love your ideas for your baby-boy room and I think, it’s also a good idea to concentrate on one design of one company. Here it’s from Ferm Living and it feels like a deep breath of fresh air to look at it.

And for sure, Ingela P. Arrhenius is such a great illustrator.

Maybe your little baby won’t notice it in the first month. BUT your boy will notice and feel the good spirit from his Mum – you :-) – when you both are in this wonderfull room.
    Wish you all the best & I say SORRY for my not soooo good English.

Best wishes!
    Maria

• Reply Nicola November 25, 2013 at 11:44 am

Oh Holly, this is gorgeous. I’ve been waiting for soooo long… Now its here, your blog about your little boys room. We are expecting a baby in May next year and I like you rooms sooo much.

Thank you so much for the awesome ideas!

All the best for you.
    Regards Nicola

• Reply Talula Mae November 25, 2013 at 11:47 am

I will have to remember to refer to here when I have my baby! Lovely. xTM

• Reply Patricia November 25, 2013 at 4:28 pm

Love it!!! I really like that it says boy without screaming boy – if that makes sense. It’s all in that color palette (my fav part). Can’t wait to see how it comes together!

• Reply Jerroid Marks November 25, 2013 at 4:48 pm

I really like the colors and patterns you have chosen for the room. Your boy is going to love it.

• Reply Mike Batliner November 26, 2013 at 2:07 am

This is going to be one nice looking boys room. You really hit the nail on the head with the colors and images without going to crazy.

• Reply Dianna November 26, 2013 at 3:43 pm

I think this is so great and exciting! Great neutrality and variety of patterns and simplicity! He’ll love his little nursery. Such an exciting time for you!
    xo

• Reply Lucy Chen November 29, 2013 at 11:56 am

decor8,

Oh I see! Thanks, Holly. I’m getting your 2nd book when I get to Sydney. We’re moving there next month from China.

I have your 1st book and love it. It was the book that helped me discovered my personal interior style. Thing is, I love the colorful style and THE living room I would dye for is Bri Emery’s Living Room!

It’s not a simple process to decorate a room though.

• Reply Shannon December 4, 2013 at 7:38 pm

I love rooms that are for baby but don’t SCREAM baby colors…:)

I wanted to know from where those wall boxes come from?

• Reply Stephanie January 29, 2014 at 6:44 pm

What a beautiful room! (And congratulations!) Could you share (or does anyone know?) the source of the animal prints and pull-toy on the wall in the second photo? I know some littles who would love these …

• Reply decor8 January 30, 2014 at 5:44 pm

@Stephanie – Zenzi Design based in Germany

• Reply Sywar February 2, 2014 at 4:36 pm

Beautiful, may I ask which program you used to put all the mood board together ? is this photoshop ?

• Reply decor8 February 4, 2014 at 10:15 am

@Sywar – Photoshop

• Reply Sywar February 2, 2014 at 4:37 pm

oh and also the font of the mood board, i love that sript ? which one is it please