Rugs I Met And Liked

November 26, 2013

Hey gang! How are ya? I’m doing well – just insanely busy with our renovations on the new apartment and now, of all things, I’m shopping for rugs when I should be packing my entire house. So let’s talk about rugs. I’m all into the fuzzy plush throws at the moment because it’s freaking freezing over here. With hardwood beneath my toes, I decided to buy three rugs to cozy things up so that I could enjoy being at home this winter just a wee bit more. The first of three is a Flokati rug in cream for our baby’s nursery. Allow me to introduce you…

Rugs I Met And Liked

I’ve been wanting one of these since I started blogging in 2006 (yes, really!) because I saw it way back then in Domino magazine and thought it was the best looking rug in the world. I really have no clue what took me so long… Here is the rug above (shown in someone else’s home that I swiped from the seller’s store). It will look super cozy against the new hardwood flooring that will be installed first week of December. I bought it from a seller on eBay Germany called easy carpet, 140 x 200, for $235 with shipping and tax included. Cha-ching. Affordable and the right size. The seller may or may not be a total jerk and the rug may or may not show up looking great or awful, so this is by no means a review of the product or seller. But with a 100% rating and a swanky rug photo (above), I’m thinking it will be just what I was looking for. Plus, if I were a baby, I’d vomit on this in a hot second so it will be perfect for my wee one to laze around on while mama blogs. The beauty of this beast is that it’s neutral so If I don’t end up liking it in the baby’s room, because I’m like that a lot lately (ask my husband), it may end up in my bedroom or someplace else. But for now, it’s destination baby room.

Okay, moving on to my second rug. This one may make you a little jealous. My apologizes in advance.

Rugs I Met And Liked

In 2010 I was introduced to vintage Beni Ouarain carpets while in Marrakesh on a retreat where I was teaching students about how to find their style and inspiration which ended up being a big 10 day slumber party with lots of booze and food with a bunch of amazing women. We ate, shopped and gossiped our way to insta-friendship and we’re all still friends today… We stayed at the fab Peacock Pavilions owned by the author of Marrakesh by Design and blog goddess, Maryam Montague (who was one of my first blog readers from wayyyy back in 2006!). It was Maryam who turned me onto these Beni O’s. Before that, I’d seen them around but never knew what they were called.

A few years prior, in 2007, I bought a gorgeous Moroccan wedding blanket off of Maryam and cherished it so much that when the trip of a lifetime came for me to lead a class in Marrakesh for Ace Camps, I raced for the nearest airport because I wanted more of where that blanket came from. And wow, when I arrived, I was in Moroccan bliss. Souk after souk, rug after rug, pouf after pouf and spice after spice, I was seduced by Marrakesh and it’s loot and three years later, I still wished I had listened to my gut when I was drooling over Beni Ouarain rugs with Maryam one afternoon. I nearly settled on one in particular but I walked. And I’ve been wanting it ever since.

I remembered what it looked like thanks to my photographic memory and my amazing skill of never forgetting when I do stupid things… But I’d not found anything even remotely like it since, until a few days ago when I spotted it on Etsy (of all places). I instantly realized that this was my big chance to reclaim my lost purchase in time. I could, after three long years, own the rug that got away. So I contacted the seller, Pink Rug Co., frantically  measured my space, and clicked PURCHASE.

Rugs I Met And Liked

Rugs I Met And Liked

Rugs I Met And Liked

Ah yeah. I am the proud owner of this rug shown above. This sexy lady will lay perfectly beneath my dining table but she may end up getting laid elsewhere as the mood hits. I always buy rugs and most everything else that can be used in any room to suit my decorating ADD.

Another carpet I bought recently, for the baby’s room (I know, baby, baby, baby! martha! martha! martha!), is this Olli Ella round felted gum ball rug. With one catch… I had it custom made because neither one shown below fit my scheme 100% and they were nice enough to create one for me (aka put up with my crap)- which, honestly, was the nicest thing in the world because I didn’t expect it at all. Most companies tell me to bite it. But listen up (this next bit requires a cup of coffee to understand), the color palette is a combo of both rugs so imagine balls (!) in gray, mint, yellow, pale beige and I think a darker yellow (I can’t recall what I ordered anymore). Can you envision this? It’s a bit of both of these rugs below minus the pink? I don’t know. It’s just going to be pretty and that’s all I care about.

Rugs I Met And Liked

Rugs I Met And Liked

Yeah, so there are some of my new rugs. When I get ’em in place in the brand new space, I’ll show you the pics and give ya some tips. Word. Stay tuned.

Any rug crushes you’ve had lately? Any rug purchases made that you’d like to share? With cooler temps, rugs are all the rage in my world at the moment. I have all of my sheepskins out and on chairs and floors and I’m doing the whole rustic thing at the moment. You too?

(images: linked to their sources above.)

You Might Also Like

• Reply Kat Mannell November 26, 2013 at 10:19 pm

Love how thick and soft that sheepskin looks…

• Reply Kat Mannell November 26, 2013 at 10:20 pm

Love how thick and soft that sheepskin looks…..

• Reply Vilte November 26, 2013 at 10:24 pm

I would love to have the white one. x

• Reply Temmy November 26, 2013 at 10:27 pm

Oh my gosh, I love the first one! It’s so fluffy I wanna lie on `it right now. You’ve got good taste and I’m your internet stalker! – Just kidding :)

• Reply Susanna November 26, 2013 at 10:43 pm

Oh wow, what good rugs! Beni O is my personal favourite, but really like the bobbly one too.

I’m happy enough with my current rugs, they aren’t show stoppers but weren’t bought for that job, just more supporting acts really!

Good luck with the house packing!

• Reply diane November 26, 2013 at 11:15 pm

I’m about to buy a morrocan shag carpet and although the one I’m purchasing isn’t wool so it won’t shed like a beast…I was wondering how you plan on keeping the white from getting dirty? I’m a bit nervous about this.

• Reply Su November 26, 2013 at 11:51 pm

Lovely rugs! I find it really hard to find rugs. My sofa is patterned in beige, red & orange striped Nina Campbell fabric but I don’t want any of those colours in a rug. Would you have any advice please Holly?

• Reply Ceren November 27, 2013 at 12:50 am

I fell in love with the rugs! I stay in a dorm and they would be amazing on our floor. :)

• Reply Peggy November 27, 2013 at 5:15 am

We just returned from a trip to Turkey, so I totally understand your experience in Morocco. If I had had a car, I would have loaded up on ceramics, Pestemals, olive oil soap, fabric, rugs, pillows, etc., but I had to be practical. I only had so much space in my luggage. We did buy some of the above items, albeit not in the numbers I would have preferred, including a gorgeous rug that is very unique, and the purchase process itself leave us with wonderful travel memories. Of course, I constantly think of all the beautiful items I left behind!

• Reply Sanne November 27, 2013 at 6:28 am

omg, the beni o is soooo amazing. Enjoy every single minute with it. I believe great things come to you when the time is right. Maybe it wasn’t back in Marakesh.
    I just moved to a new country and house without bringing my stuff over from home, so I do have an almost empty house that needs furnishing. Exciting. Thanks for rug post.

• Reply Galina November 27, 2013 at 7:19 am

I very liked #2 and #3 .#1 is look cozy,but not practical.I think It’s hard to clean it.Thanks .

• Reply Iris November 27, 2013 at 10:37 am

These are so pretty Holly! I am really looking forward to see them in your apartment!

• Reply Nicole November 27, 2013 at 10:41 am

Beautiful carpets, Holly! Thank you for sharing.
    Although they are difficult to clean, no matter! Sometimes you just have to go for it. The story behind the Beni is so lovely! (It reminds me, when I bought my Fortuny silk lamp in Venice long time ago, after I discovered it years ago and could not get out of my head.)
    My heart beats for folkloric rugs from Romania, Russia and Guatemala. The traditional floral designs, the bright colors and fantastic craft techniques. Love them!
    Happy Wednesday!

• Reply LifeLikesAndy November 27, 2013 at 12:00 pm

Oh, i love them all! Really!
    Please keep us updated when you receive them… I am interested in the first one for our bedroom!
    I am sure that your baby room will be simply superb :)

• Reply yaarah November 27, 2013 at 2:26 pm

Hey Holly!
    that is so great. Im decoratingthe nursery of my little girl, and have a small round rug and thought to put another, its working, right? :)

• Reply Sophie November 27, 2013 at 2:27 pm

Can’t wait to sere how you placed them in your home. Love the moon drop rug!

• Reply Gayle Romay November 27, 2013 at 4:33 pm

ooo that Beni O rug is so gorgeous, am having rug envy :-)

• Reply Merridy November 28, 2013 at 2:17 am

I’m about to head back to a rather cold house in Australia after nearly 2 years living in the Philippines …. Feeling some rug purchases coming on! Before my second son arrived it was a light fitting frenzy for me. Looking forward to seeing your rugs all in situ. Very exciting time for you.

• Reply becky harris December 18, 2013 at 3:34 am

Dear Preggo brain, I think you meant “Marcia! Marcia! Marcia!” not “Martha! Martha! Martha!” Otherwise known as Jan Brady’s lament. ;) No need to actually publish/approve this, I just wanted to give you a poke. That came out wrong. XO Becky

• Reply decor8 December 18, 2013 at 11:11 am

@Becky: ha ha good one!!!