My Dining/Work Room Progress

Okay so I’m decorating our new dining room at the moment as you may know- today, it will be painted in Farrow & Ball’s “Dimpse” (shown here) and I bought this vintage Moroccan rug from Pink Rug Co. (here), so I wanted to add a new pendant light to the mix with a very casual yet classy vibe. I also didn’t want anything weighty but light and airy… I currently have a white shade with a gold interior in this room but have decided to put that elsewhere so I needed a new, large pendant to replace it. After spending hours sourcing stuff, I kept coming back to the Z1 Cotton Lamp By Nelson Sepuvelda on the Bodie & Fou website. It was the only light that spoke to me that also spoke to my wallet so I just bought it from Karine Kong at Bodie & Fou. Here’s my new dining room light…

886fb7a945171a0fc44965dec8356519

2666

And how it looks in an actual space… Not my space, but a space in general…

2666-3

And my quickie mood board which helped me to imagine how everything will work together with my current furniture… I’ve had the HAY table, HK Living white wooden cabinet and the 6 eames chairs with wooden legs for several years already…

moodboard_dining

Click above image to enlarge

This redux means I only need to add the rug, wall color and pendant to the current mix and move two cabinets from another room into this one.  I want to bring in more black and gray through other elements and then, add in metallics, natural wood and some color depending on the artwork I end up installing here. I want it to be Nordic Feminine, a style term that is all my own (ha ha). I’m very excited to see how it will come together and to show you when it’s finished! I may paint the white cabinet, though I have another cabinet (not shown) that is white that Leslie and I painted the hardwood black and the doors chalkboard black for our book. I will drag it into the room to bring out the black in the rug into other parts of the room. I need to first move into the new space and see what ends up feeling like a good mix as I unpack and shuffle things around. It’s important to get a feeling for a space before decorating it!

Once the room is pulled together, I’ll share it with you on my blog! Which will most likely be in January after we move in. The move date is during the first week of January and the baby due date is January 25th so here’s hoping my energy levels work in my favor – eek!!!!

Are you doing anything new to your home at the moment?

(image: 1st image: En Ny Lampa, next 2: bodie and fou, all others linked to sources.)

Posted by decor8 in Decorating Tips on November 28, 2013

1. Beatrice commented
    November 28th, 2013 at 2:35pm

I admire your decorating and home organisation energy so close to Christmas and your due date Holly! Looking forward to seeing the finished results :)

We’ve just moved a couple of days ago from a Victorian house to a concrete flat in a listed building in central London. This has necessitated a style change and being canny to overcome the restrictions of the building (no painting, no hanging of *anything* – not even a tiny picture hook – basically very restricting.) So I’m looking for lots of clever non-permanent solutions to make this place ‘our’ home :)

2. Jessica commented
    November 28th, 2013 at 2:47pm

Very pretty! Love the Nordic Feminine style! :-)
    Jessica´s last blog post ..Totem SF Pillows

3. Polly Rowan commented
    November 28th, 2013 at 4:14pm

It’s going to look so beautiful :)
    Love the Z1 Lamp!
    Polly Rowan´s last blog post ..ETSY Giveaway {RESULTS}

4. BODIE and FOU commented
    November 28th, 2013 at 4:37pm

Absolutely gorgeous! I so want to move in your new flat. Love your moodboard, love your new rug, love the Z1 (of course!), it’s going to be an amazing, inspiring place!

5. Sarah commented
    November 28th, 2013 at 5:02pm

I love the Farrow & Ball colors and that lamp! I am not living in my own space right now, so I’m can’t do anything…wish I could…in the future…have a great rest of the week! ;-)
    Sarah´s last blog post ..8 Tips for a thoroughly organized bathroom…

6. Katrin commented
    November 28th, 2013 at 5:06pm

That lamp looks stunning!
    I’m constantly doing things to our home since we’ve moved in four years ago. I paint walls and move artwork around and add bits here and take things off there. It’s a very organic and exciting process.
    Katrin´s last blog post ..The most expensive work ever sold at auction

7. Carina commented
    November 28th, 2013 at 7:04pm

it’s called nesting here, making ready for baby :)
    Carina´s last blog post ..Silent Sunday

8. laurie commented
    November 28th, 2013 at 7:22pm

That’s lovely, Holly! I love seeing your process. You do such beautiful work and have long been a great inspiration to me. I’m thrilled to see all the wonderful things that are happening for you – you’ve worked hard to be where you are. You will be as fabulous at mothering as you have been at your creative work and business, I’m sure!

Funny, “Nordic Feminine” is a term I’ve been using on my own home do-over! So it will be interesting to see how they compare, or not! I don’t have the same access to products and help that you have – I’m using pretty much what I have on hand and my own labor. The other difference is that you are just moving in and I’m likely moving on. I’ve got some big changes happening too and they are likely to be taking me away from my home. I’ll be finishing up some of the projects I have had going so as to have it look beautiful for the next owner. Kinda sad, but it’s time and I’m navigating towards good things! And I get a chance to use what I’ve learned in BYW this fall for the photos!

9. Tina Slocum commented
    November 28th, 2013 at 9:20pm

What a splendid time to be decorating and setting up house, with the natural nesting instinct and energy during these last two months of pregnancy!
    I can feel the energy from here! Enjoy as we are enjoying each post.

10. decor8 commented
    November 28th, 2013 at 9:51pm

Wow Laurie that’s a lot of change going on for you currently. You are going to ace it though! By the way, it’s been really nice having you in class.

Xo holly

11. Desiree commented
    November 28th, 2013 at 11:00pm

Great combo and excitet to see you choose my all time favorite lamp! i just got this one myself aswell some weeks ago and it will probably end up in my kitchen as I have the square one already in my living, can’t remember if I had it already when you were here :)

Good luck decorating, I bet hou understand I love your new style!

12. decor8 commented
    November 28th, 2013 at 11:41pm

Hi Desiree!
    You are going to install the same lamp? How nice!!!
    No you didn’t have it when I was there ago… You had something else, it was from a shoot or something you said?

13. Claudia commented
    November 29th, 2013 at 4:39am

Such a simplistic and beautiful lamp! I’m looking forward seeing your new house :-) Good luck with everything in the next few months and thank you so much for another great BYW course! I really enjoyed the course again and I felt that I got much more from this course than I already did last time in March. So, thank you very much for that! xoxo Claudia
    Claudia´s last blog post ..Markets in Bali {Design DIY Inspiration}

14. Farouk Patel commented
    November 29th, 2013 at 7:56am

Really nice job

15. Inness commented
    November 29th, 2013 at 9:19am

Love the color palette! My partner and I are moving to a new home soon, and it will be time to find updated furniture.. how do you source things such as couches and armchairs? Style and comfort are so important, and there are so many options.. I’m not sure where to begin.

16. decor8 commented
    November 29th, 2013 at 3:56pm

@Inness – Being in the decorating field, I know sources from the hours I spend at work each day. For those not in the design world, the best way to learn is to see where pieces are from that you see in your favorite magazines and look them up online or go into home stores regularly to view their latest collections.

17. Emma commented
    November 29th, 2013 at 5:19pm

I love that lamp, I keep seeing it on pinterest, and wondering if I could create space for it. The rug looks gorgeous too, might have to take a peek at that! Be careful dragging things in your current condition :)

18. Julia commented
    November 29th, 2013 at 6:38pm

Love it! You’re such an inspiration!
    Julia´s last blog post ..Friday wishlist

19. mel commented
    November 30th, 2013 at 1:13am

Holly your dining is going to be stunning! I adore the Bodie & Fou lamp and the vintage rug – I’m looking forward to seeing the end result. I love how you’re doing all of this just in time for the baby Holly, it’s kind of insane and something that I’d probably do;-) Mel x
    mel´s last blog post ..Your Home & Garden Magazine Feature

20. Barbara Cortili commented
    November 30th, 2013 at 5:59pm

You are doing a great job, Holly! I love how luminous your house is! The Hay table is great, I was looking for something similar for my atelier. I am currently renovating it and your tips are surely going to help! Have a great week-end! :)
    Barbara Cortili´s last blog post ..A book of dolls

21. Tia commented
    November 30th, 2013 at 7:31pm

OH I love it. I really love your crisp & modern style yet it still feels so warm and inviting.

My hubby & I are painting our room this weekend, finally!

22. NATALIE commented
    December 1st, 2013 at 1:57pm

Nice pics! I love your blog! xx from Sweden

23. Liubou commented
    December 2nd, 2013 at 12:15am

Hi Holly! We are at the moment doing the bedroom. The bed should arrive just in 1 week, so we have enough time to colour everything completely and redecorate the space. The pic you can find here: http://kleinspace.com/image/68700956608. It is absolutely exciting, as my old dream of a white bedroom is coming true:) Have an amazing start of the week!

24. Kate commented
    December 2nd, 2013 at 8:21am

That lamp is unbelievably beautiful.

25. Gemma commented
    December 2nd, 2013 at 7:05pm

Definitely love the industrial design of the lamp. Thanks for the inspiration! Would love to see how it looks in my home as well.

Turns out Bodie & Fou delivers in the Netherlands as well :)
    Gemma´s last blog post ..Zelf maken: Appeltaart recept op de keukenmuur

26. Hena Tayeb commented
    December 2nd, 2013 at 10:21pm

Looks great..
    we are 8 months pregnant, towards the tail end of renovations in our family room and kitchen and are shopping paint samples and eyeing furniture.. need all the inspiration I can get.
    Hena Tayeb´s last blog post ..Kitchen and Family Room: Renovations

27. Afke commented
    December 3rd, 2013 at 7:10am

I really like the pendant, it wouldn’t look right in my place though. Right now we’re doing our front hallway. It needed to be isolated and i didn’t like the floor so now we’re still brainstorming what floor we would like to have there. Good luck with all your plans!
    Afke´s last blog post ..Monday

28. Natalie commented
    December 3rd, 2013 at 6:07pm

Everything looks gorgeous! I love all of the colors – so creative!

29. Laura commented
    December 4th, 2013 at 5:25am

I like it very much your own “style” nordic feminin! Have u thought about any color splash? I just finish buiding a restroom in the basement which end up very good… Anyway your rug i think it’s the central point of your decor!
    Laura´s last blog post ..How to make your home tres-chic for winter

30. Romain commented
    December 5th, 2013 at 11:44am

Hello !

I love your Scandinavian tastes !! The Hay Table is just wonderful.

I have been looking forward to set this kind of furniture in my loft. Any advices for retailers that could satisfy my needs ?

Thanks a lot !

Romain

31. Romain commented
    December 5th, 2013 at 11:47am

Hi there,

I really appreciate your Nordic tastes. I am actually looking for retailers that could sell this kind of furniture for my loft !
    Do you have any adivce/ideas ?

Thanks a lot !

Romain

32. Katja commented
    December 5th, 2013 at 2:33pm

Your plan looks great! I really like the colours and materials. In my home I have constantly something going on – I love the planning part, but the doing-process is much slower…so everything is built up slowly, but surely I hope. My living room will soon be finished as I have planned it…just some wall decor missing, and a pouf…can’t decide if it should be the moroccan, or knitted/ crocheted…well, I am not in a hurry :)

33. Sophie commented
    December 5th, 2013 at 3:39pm

The dining room looks nice! Love the lamp. Thank you for the inspiration!

34. Louise commented
    December 8th, 2013 at 5:27am

Really excited to see all the pictures once the three of you have settled in!
    BLOGGING QUESTION;Can anybody tell me what this thing (sorry, I can’t even think of a better word!) for displaying several images on one page (like above, and in http://decor8blog.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/ourbabyboyroom_decor8.png) is called? I know it’s used a lot, but I don’t know what it’s called or how to go about making one! Help much appreciated by this blogging-learner! :)
    Louise´s last blog post ..{Emily & Meritt for PBteen}

35. Mona commented
    January 7th, 2014 at 9:47pm

I love your blog, such good ideas! May I ask you where I can find the picture/painting (girl with bird in her hand) on the first photo? It’s so nice!!