Travel

Celebrating In Ireland

December 19, 2013

Hello friends! It’s Rincy again with a little post on the holiday season here in Dublin. I love this time of year, similar to spring, it feels as though there is a secret promise of a new beginning just around the corner. It can either be a frenzied blur of events or the slowest of periods and I think it’s safe to say that we’ve all had our fair share of both (takeout food and Friends re-runs, I’ve been there done that). But every now and again a funny thing happens in the midst of the chaos of presents, crowds or family politics, there is a moment of contentment. Bliss. Joy. Love. Gratitude. Ever so brief or all at once, it happens.

Celebrating In Ireland

Last week, we celebrated our friend Emily’s birthday in the midst of the holiday season. It was an evening full of collaborative efforts, DIY touches and a family whose love is incredibly palpable- it was beautiful to be a part of it. It was without a doubt, one of those moments.

Celebrating In Ireland

Celebrating In Ireland

Celebrating In Ireland

Celebrating In Ireland

Celebrating In Ireland

Celebrating In Ireland

Emily’s sweet take on the evenings events: “When I moved to Ireland just over five years ago, there were a lot of things that necessitated adjustment: driving on the other side of the road, not being able to buy anything in bulk at the grocery store, those kinds of things. What didn’t take any time at all to adjust to was how the Irish celebrate the Christmas season. They gather, they linger, they spend time around a table or a fireplace. They chat and they sing and time stands still for a few hours. On the day of the dinner party, I pulled my car over by the coast of Dublin Bay and trekked down to the water line. I pulled out a big old piece of driftwood and squeezed it into the back of the car. We suspended it above the table, and from it we hung the most beautiful geometric Christmas ornaments. Candles placed throughout the room twinkled and sparkled. We held hands around the table while my husband prayed grace over the meal. Then we ate, drank wine, shared stories and laughed. Time stopped for a few hours; there were no phones or work. We were right there, together, celebrating exactly the way I’ve learned to in my time in Dublin. Truly present, with nowhere else to be but right there.” – Emily

Celebrating In Ireland

Whatever way you choose to spend your holiday, I hope bliss, joy love and gratitude are a plenty. Wishing you a very happy holiday season from Ireland. – Rincy

(Styling: Ciara O’ Halloran, Flowers: Claire Ryan, Cake: Kate Packwood, Photography/text: Rincy Koshy)

18 Comments

• Reply Vicki December 19, 2013 at 12:39 pm

What a fantastic post, I think you really summed up the irish culture at xmas time :) I live in northern ireland and its the same here too. We sit at the table for hours after a big meal just talking and telling stories.
    I adore the driftwood over the table, I will have to try this next year! :) xx

• Reply Yuviza December 19, 2013 at 1:34 pm

Hi, I really like your writing and your photos.
    Beautiful table and lovely details, congratulations

• Reply Holly {Avenue} December 19, 2013 at 1:40 pm

Absolutely beautiful, Rincy, your words always catch my breath. And as always and Ciara did a beautiful job styling. I adore her work and am a big follower of her blog, particularly as my big day is fast approaching! Have a wonderful holiday, and I look forward to reading your column next year! Holly x

• Reply Helena December 19, 2013 at 2:08 pm

How inspiring! I hope my Christmas will be as those words you write full of bliss. And I have some driftwood laying around at home from the Spanish beaches – I might just do what you did!

• Reply Dragana December 19, 2013 at 2:32 pm

So beautiful ❤❤

Dragana

• Reply Molly {Dreams in HD} December 19, 2013 at 2:42 pm

what beautiful photos and beautiful words.
    i always love reading your posts.

Molly {Dreams in HD}

• Reply Emma December 19, 2013 at 2:59 pm

Happy birthday to Emily (from a fellow December baby)! Excellent idea on repurposing the driftwood. It’s very rustic but then glammed up with the beautiful ornaments.

I visited Ireland (and Northern Ireland) for a short time in 2008 while studying abroad and had an amazing time. It’s such a beautiful place and very, very welcoming.

Thanks for sharing, Rincy–now good memories are flooding back into my mind!

• Reply Sarah December 19, 2013 at 5:34 pm

Lovely, I miss the holidays in the UK – and I so want to visit Ireland! Love the driftwood, brilliant idea. Thanks for sharing! ;-)

• Reply Allyson December 19, 2013 at 6:31 pm

What a beautiful sentiment at this time of year. We really should take time to just enjoy being with those that matter the most to us. I love the intimate and cozy feel of the table design. An ivory and soft sage palette work anytime of the year but, is especially warm during the holidays. Really lovely.

• Reply Ciara December 19, 2013 at 6:45 pm

It’s always an honour to be asked to style a beautiful dinner, and collaborating with some of my favourite talented creatives in Dublin made dreaming up Emily’s perfect birthday setting all the more fun. What a treat to see it come to life on Decor8 and it’s a perfect way to remind ourselves to relish the time with our loved ones this season. You summed it up beautifully Rincy x

• Reply Quyen Nguyen December 19, 2013 at 7:02 pm

How wonderful. I love simple get-togethers like this with good friends and good food.

• Reply Mimi December 19, 2013 at 10:50 pm

What a lovely celebration! The cake is extraordinary. Thanks for sharing.

• Reply Rincy K December 20, 2013 at 5:03 pm

Thank you so much for the kind words sweet ladies! I love being able to share a little with you here with Holly :)

• Reply Barbara Cortili December 21, 2013 at 1:25 pm

Thank you for this post! I loved every bit of it! I’ve never been to Ireland but it is a country that has always charmed me. Reading about its people daily lives during Christmas time is very fascinating. And this house is so beautiful decorated! I wish you a very Merry Christmas! :)

• Reply blair December 21, 2013 at 5:17 pm

How incredibly cozy and wonderful!

• Reply Kelly Jeanette December 21, 2013 at 6:11 pm

I am so glad I found your blog. It is beautiful. Tell Emily Happy Birthday from another December baby. Love that drift wood over the table! I will have to try that myself. Your words were so inspiring to have a nice quiet Christmas.

• Reply Mary Glenn December 23, 2013 at 6:15 am

Makes me want to spend Christmas in Ireland- from an Irish girl living inPhiladelphia!

• Reply abby @ teawiththemoon January 15, 2014 at 12:58 pm

This is a truly beautiful post. I love the whole feel from decorations to words and can really relate to wanting a slow enjoyable life with family and close friends. <3