Events + Markets

Wow! The Design Files Open House

December 23, 2013

Good morning friends! Can you believe it’s nearly Christmas? I feel like Autumn totally flew by, don’t you? Our baby boy will arrive in just five weeks (eeeeee!!!!) so I’m over-the-moon excited about it and busy prepping his room and getting massive butterflies as I think about how much we have to look forward to. I’m also in the midst of renovations on our new apartment, though I’m only overseeing things, but it’s still “work” and I’m happy to report that it’s nearly finished! We will move in 2 1/2 weeks! Yeah, wow is right. But all is well – the paint smell is gone, the new floors are installed (and gorgeous), and everything looks so fresh and pretty that the effort involved in sprucing has totally paid off. It’s a total clean slate. I can’t wait to move in and DECORATE! Yay! I will definitely share photos as I go with you, so expect to begin seeing those in January.

Wow! The Design Files Open House

And speaking of decorating, I simply must share the lovely event that recently occurred in Australia hosted by design blogger Lucy Feegins from The Design Files. She contacted me over the weekend offering me first dibs on this content and sharing it here on decor8 so I couldn’t turn her down. I’m super behind her amazing concept and love how she and her team convert an empty house into a pop-up showroom all in the name of design and promoting local talent in Australia. Items are sold, they have hundreds of visitors, and then the home is cleaned out and is returned to whomever owns the property. What a cool concept, right?

This year for the first time they held the event in Melbourne (Lucy’s home town) and then again in Sydney 2 weeks later. Normally she only does it in one location so this was quite an undertaking. You can see the inspiring TDF Open House 2013 Video here or simply watch it below. This video was shot, directed and edited by Jessica Leski.

And here are some more photos for you to drool over, taken by Brooke Holm, of the Melbourne open house event.

Wow! The Design Files Open House

Wow! The Design Files Open House

Wow! The Design Files Open House

Wow! The Design Files Open House

Wow! The Design Files Open House

I love all of the bold accent walls – especially the blue tones and that gorgeous watermelon-y color. Super pretty and so interesting to look at – the art by Melbourne artist Miranda Skoczek is amazing. I also love all of the colorful rugs and textiles, and the white wooden blinds in the bedroom shown above (I’m soooo into wooden shutters at the moment and want to install them in my bedroom, but these blinds are lovely too).

Isn’t this a lovely project? What do you think of the color palette and use of pattern? See any objects in particular that inspire you?

I’d like to wish you all a very lovely day! I’m going to finish up on some shopping, then it’s time to bake cookies and relax… Hope you make some time to relax, too.

AND a special thanks to Lucy for sharing this content with us today!

(images: brooke holm)

You Might Also Like

32 Comments

• Reply Karen December 23, 2013 at 11:20 am

I think those paintings are actually by Kirra Jameson.

• Reply Lucy Chen December 23, 2013 at 11:30 am

I LOVE the bright colors of the walls, they work really well with the more neutral color main furniture. I think that’s the “rule” with color, right, if there is any rule? It’s that you need a balance with brights and neutrals.

I really admire how they put together the show house in Melbourne, then packed everything, unpacked and put everything up again in Sydney. And they did it with grace and passion and love! Moving drains me and stresses me. I need to learn from them.

Going to check out their website now, because we just moved to Sydney last Friday, and I’ll HAVE to go to their next event. Thanks for the introduction, Holly.

Merry Christmas!

• Reply Katja December 23, 2013 at 11:52 am

I really like the blue poufs on the dark carpet, a nice colour combination! Colourful, but not too overwhelming. The bold accent walls are exciting, but perhaps a little too much…I know I would get tired of the rather quickly.
    The art walls are really nice, and I like the textiles in the last picture. Basic geometric shapes in a soft , not too minimalistic scheme are my thing :).
    Have a peaceful Christmas!

• Reply Usha Digiacomo December 23, 2013 at 12:28 pm

Babando… which is drooling in Portuguese. Those colors, so summery, so happy. And the black & white rugs! WOW. I see them in my living room.

Holly dear, I miss our classes so much. It was a fantastic time.I will be back.

I am so happy for you; baby + new place. You deserve it all! I wish you happy holidays, and a new kind of January :). My boy was born almost 22 years ago on January 9th. For the last 4 years he was away doing film school at FSU (Florida State University) and he is coming back. I am so happy.

It is definitely a new year for us! Give a big hug to Thorsten, and a especial one for you.
    Bjs
    Usha

• Reply Emma December 23, 2013 at 3:02 pm

I too love those gorgeous blue accent walls and decor touches!

• Reply caroline @trend-daily December 23, 2013 at 4:30 pm

Love what Lucy does-it’s just totally brilliant!:-)

• Reply Radish December 23, 2013 at 5:27 pm

I would love to know how that rug type bed spread was made. Merry Christmas and happy baby.

• Reply Marianne December 23, 2013 at 8:01 pm

I love the combination of turquoise and white wall in the last photo in combination with the mid century furniture. Somehow it feels like home ;-)

• Reply sue December 23, 2013 at 9:09 pm

i think I am with Katja on this one. The blue poufs on grey look lovely, and the bright walls are great, but I could not live for long with them. I think maybe in a room that one is not in all the time, like the guest bathroom, or an attic den would be good with a bright statement wall like that. The wow factor.
    All the best with baby and the apartment, your happiness and excitement really come over in your post.

• Reply Robin December 23, 2013 at 9:09 pm

Love the colors — the room with the tent caught my eye . Black accents really make it work. I’m inspired.

• Reply Aileen@AtHomeInLove December 23, 2013 at 10:12 pm

Wow is right! I don’t usually like accent walls very much, but these are awesome!!!

• Reply Deborah Carter December 23, 2013 at 11:08 pm

Karen,

You’re right! They are from Kirra Jamison. Gorgeous colour combinations! I went to the Melbourne Design Files Open House and it was all pretty inspiring!
    Deborah

• Reply Tracey@chalkboard living December 23, 2013 at 11:36 pm

Wow. Love that deep blue. Makes me think of Summer!

Merry Christmas my lovely to you and your fam ;) XX Can’t wait for the baby news!

• Reply Merissa December 23, 2013 at 11:51 pm

Amazing! The coolest idea for a pop up shop! Makes for the perfect display and unique selling strategy. The home looks fantastic! Drooling over the art.

Good luck and best wishes for the upcoming new year Holly! Can’t wait to see your new abode and bundle of baby joy!

• Reply Sarah December 24, 2013 at 2:58 am

REALLY gorgeous rooms, especially LOVE that blue color – wow! Blue + white will never look outdated – Merry Christmas!! xo

• Reply mireya pizarro December 24, 2013 at 4:00 am

Love the colors and love the crosses! Where can I find something like this?

• Reply Galina December 24, 2013 at 7:55 am

Absolutely love colorful rug with pink wall.So happy colors.

Thanks Holly for sharing.I too miss our BYW class.

Marry Christmas !

• Reply Julie December 26, 2013 at 4:17 pm

Where can i get a tent like that??

• Reply White Forest Home December 27, 2013 at 6:39 am

Love seeing some beautiful shots from Oz! Well done!! x

• Reply Janet Kemp December 27, 2013 at 9:48 am

Love the concept and loved watching the video. Not easy to do but it looks like a wonderful extension of her.
    Thanks for sharing with us.

• Reply B. December 28, 2013 at 1:35 pm

This is absolutely amazing. Love the bright colors of the walls and those paintings. It makes it so dynamic. And the carpet. Wow.

• Reply Bianca December 29, 2013 at 3:02 pm

Wooow, what an amazing project!! The mix of colours is very inspiring.
    Especially I love the blue poufs.. Does anyone know where I can get those?
    Best wishes from Germany :)

• Reply Tracy December 30, 2013 at 10:18 am

Went to the Melbourne Design House and loved it. So much inspiration for inside and out. My husband is still talking about the basket lights over the pool and garden.

The house is so open and airy so the strong feature walls worked extremely well.

• Reply kayko December 30, 2013 at 6:23 pm

Oh, the vibrant blue and brick combination looks superb! I have to keep that in mind till we get to renovate our apartment. This is one of the interiors where a lot of dark hues was used, but the overall feeling is crisp and refreshing! I would be afraid that a bedroom with vibrant wall colour would make it harder to fall asleep, does anyone have any experience with that? Love, Kayko xx

• Reply Polly Rowan January 1, 2014 at 12:53 pm

wow how spectacular! Would love to have seen it in real life. Love the artwork on the bright blue wall in the first picture.

• Reply marie January 2, 2014 at 9:26 pm

I love this post!

• Reply Jessica Newell January 3, 2014 at 3:47 am

The spaces, artwork, styling in this are gorgeous! Love watching the behind the scenes video – so much work goes into something like this…

• Reply Dervla January 7, 2014 at 1:08 am

Thanks for sharing. So beautiful. There are also some fabulous Rachel Castle prints in the last 2 photos

• Reply Andriana January 7, 2014 at 10:20 am

This is such a great idea! So creative & inspiring! And the result is simply gorgeous! Congratulations!

• Reply Jamie January 8, 2014 at 1:07 am

Where is the colorful rug from that is shown in the playroom with the teepee?

• Reply Jes January 15, 2014 at 4:37 pm

PLEAAAASE tell me where those rugs are from. They’re everything I’ve ever wanted in a rug!

• Reply Jes January 15, 2014 at 4:39 pm

Can someone please tell me where those rugs are from. They’re everything I’ve ever wanted in a rug!