Wow! The Design Files Open House

Good morning friends! Can you believe it’s nearly Christmas? I feel like Autumn totally flew by, don’t you? Our baby boy will arrive in just five weeks (eeeeee!!!!) so I’m over-the-moon excited about it and busy prepping his room and getting massive butterflies as I think about how much we have to look forward to. I’m also in the midst of renovations on our new apartment, though I’m only overseeing things, but it’s still “work” and I’m happy to report that it’s nearly finished! We will move in 2 1/2 weeks! Yeah, wow is right. But all is well – the paint smell is gone, the new floors are installed (and gorgeous), and everything looks so fresh and pretty that the effort involved in sprucing has totally paid off. It’s a total clean slate. I can’t wait to move in and DECORATE! Yay! I will definitely share photos as I go with you, so expect to begin seeing those in January.

Unknown-1

And speaking of decorating, I simply must share the lovely event that recently occurred in Australia hosted by design blogger Lucy Feegins from The Design Files. She contacted me over the weekend offering me first dibs on this content and sharing it here on decor8 so I couldn’t turn her down. I’m super behind her amazing concept and love how she and her team convert an empty house into a pop-up showroom all in the name of design and promoting local talent in Australia. Items are sold, they have hundreds of visitors, and then the home is cleaned out and is returned to whomever owns the property. What a cool concept, right?

This year for the first time they held the event in Melbourne (Lucy’s home town) and then again in Sydney 2 weeks later. Normally she only does it in one location so this was quite an undertaking. You can see the inspiring TDF Open House 2013 Video here or simply watch it below. This video was shot, directed and edited by Jessica Leski.

And here are some more photos for you to drool over, taken by Brooke Holm, of the Melbourne open house event.

Unknown-6

Unknown-2

Unknown-3

Unknown-4

Unknown-5

I love all of the bold accent walls – especially the blue tones and that gorgeous watermelon-y color. Super pretty and so interesting to look at – the art by Melbourne artist Miranda Skoczek is amazing. I also love all of the colorful rugs and textiles, and the white wooden blinds in the bedroom shown above (I’m soooo into wooden shutters at the moment and want to install them in my bedroom, but these blinds are lovely too).

Isn’t this a lovely project? What do you think of the color palette and use of pattern? See any objects in particular that inspire you?

I’d like to wish you all a very lovely day! I’m going to finish up on some shopping, then it’s time to bake cookies and relax… Hope you make some time to relax, too.

AND a special thanks to Lucy for sharing this content with us today!

(images: brooke holm)

Posted by decor8 in events + markets on December 23, 2013

1. Karen commented
    December 23rd, 2013 at 11:20am

I think those paintings are actually by Kirra Jameson.

2. Lucy Chen commented
    December 23rd, 2013 at 11:30am

I LOVE the bright colors of the walls, they work really well with the more neutral color main furniture. I think that’s the “rule” with color, right, if there is any rule? It’s that you need a balance with brights and neutrals.

I really admire how they put together the show house in Melbourne, then packed everything, unpacked and put everything up again in Sydney. And they did it with grace and passion and love! Moving drains me and stresses me. I need to learn from them.

Going to check out their website now, because we just moved to Sydney last Friday, and I’ll HAVE to go to their next event. Thanks for the introduction, Holly.

Merry Christmas!
    Lucy Chen´s last blog post ..The Top 3 Resources for Planning Your 2014

3. Katja commented
    December 23rd, 2013 at 11:52am

I really like the blue poufs on the dark carpet, a nice colour combination! Colourful, but not too overwhelming. The bold accent walls are exciting, but perhaps a little too much…I know I would get tired of the rather quickly.
    The art walls are really nice, and I like the textiles in the last picture. Basic geometric shapes in a soft , not too minimalistic scheme are my thing :).
    Have a peaceful Christmas!
    Katja´s last blog post ..My Mini Christmas Tree

4. Usha Digiacomo commented
    December 23rd, 2013 at 12:28pm

Babando… which is drooling in Portuguese. Those colors, so summery, so happy. And the black & white rugs! WOW. I see them in my living room.

Holly dear, I miss our classes so much. It was a fantastic time.I will be back.

I am so happy for you; baby + new place. You deserve it all! I wish you happy holidays, and a new kind of January :). My boy was born almost 22 years ago on January 9th. For the last 4 years he was away doing film school at FSU (Florida State University) and he is coming back. I am so happy.

It is definitely a new year for us! Give a big hug to Thorsten, and a especial one for you.
    Bjs
    Usha
    Usha Digiacomo´s last blog post ..Piscina natural é opção para quem adora água como eu…

5. Emma commented
    December 23rd, 2013 at 3:02pm

I too love those gorgeous blue accent walls and decor touches!
    Emma´s last blog post ..Lights from enLIGHTenment Magazine’s Best of 2013

6. caroline @trend-daily commented
    December 23rd, 2013 at 4:30pm

Love what Lucy does-it’s just totally brilliant!:-)
    caroline @trend-daily´s last blog post ..styling details

7. Radish commented
    December 23rd, 2013 at 5:27pm

I would love to know how that rug type bed spread was made. Merry Christmas and happy baby.

8. Marianne commented
    December 23rd, 2013 at 8:01pm

I love the combination of turquoise and white wall in the last photo in combination with the mid century furniture. Somehow it feels like home ;-)
    Marianne´s last blog post ..{christmas gift wrapping}

9. sue commented
    December 23rd, 2013 at 9:09pm

i think I am with Katja on this one. The blue poufs on grey look lovely, and the bright walls are great, but I could not live for long with them. I think maybe in a room that one is not in all the time, like the guest bathroom, or an attic den would be good with a bright statement wall like that. The wow factor.
    All the best with baby and the apartment, your happiness and excitement really come over in your post.
    sue´s last blog post ..decorating the cake

10. Robin commented
    December 23rd, 2013 at 9:09pm

Love the colors — the room with the tent caught my eye . Black accents really make it work. I’m inspired.

11. Aileen@AtHomeInLove commented
    December 23rd, 2013 at 10:12pm

Wow is right! I don’t usually like accent walls very much, but these are awesome!!!
    Aileen@AtHomeInLove´s last blog post ..Dream Room Makeover

12. Deborah Carter commented
    December 23rd, 2013 at 11:08pm

Karen,

You’re right! They are from Kirra Jamison. Gorgeous colour combinations! I went to the Melbourne Design Files Open House and it was all pretty inspiring!
    Deborah

13. Tracey@chalkboard living commented
    December 23rd, 2013 at 11:36pm

Wow. Love that deep blue. Makes me think of Summer!

Merry Christmas my lovely to you and your fam ;) XX Can’t wait for the baby news!

14. Merissa commented
    December 23rd, 2013 at 11:51pm

Amazing! The coolest idea for a pop up shop! Makes for the perfect display and unique selling strategy. The home looks fantastic! Drooling over the art.

Good luck and best wishes for the upcoming new year Holly! Can’t wait to see your new abode and bundle of baby joy!

15. Sarah commented
    December 24th, 2013 at 2:58am

REALLY gorgeous rooms, especially LOVE that blue color – wow! Blue + white will never look outdated – Merry Christmas!! xo
    Sarah´s last blog post ..Best of MI…Dear Design Diary…Windsor Smith…

16. mireya pizarro commented
    December 24th, 2013 at 4:00am

Love the colors and love the crosses! Where can I find something like this?

17. Galina commented
    December 24th, 2013 at 7:55am

Absolutely love colorful rug with pink wall.So happy colors.

Thanks Holly for sharing.I too miss our BYW class.

Marry Christmas !
    Galina´s last blog post ..DIY: The patio renovation

18. Julie commented
    December 26th, 2013 at 4:17pm

Where can i get a tent like that??

19. White Forest Home commented
    December 27th, 2013 at 6:39am

Love seeing some beautiful shots from Oz! Well done!! x

20. Janet Kemp commented
    December 27th, 2013 at 9:48am

Love the concept and loved watching the video. Not easy to do but it looks like a wonderful extension of her.
    Thanks for sharing with us.

21. B. commented
    December 28th, 2013 at 1:35pm

This is absolutely amazing. Love the bright colors of the walls and those paintings. It makes it so dynamic. And the carpet. Wow.

B.´s last blog post ..Self-made is bestmade

22. Bianca commented
    December 29th, 2013 at 3:02pm

Wooow, what an amazing project!! The mix of colours is very inspiring.
    Especially I love the blue poufs.. Does anyone know where I can get those?
    Best wishes from Germany :)

23. Tracy commented
    December 30th, 2013 at 10:18am

Went to the Melbourne Design House and loved it. So much inspiration for inside and out. My husband is still talking about the basket lights over the pool and garden.

The house is so open and airy so the strong feature walls worked extremely well.

24. kayko commented
    December 30th, 2013 at 6:23pm

Oh, the vibrant blue and brick combination looks superb! I have to keep that in mind till we get to renovate our apartment. This is one of the interiors where a lot of dark hues was used, but the overall feeling is crisp and refreshing! I would be afraid that a bedroom with vibrant wall colour would make it harder to fall asleep, does anyone have any experience with that? Love, Kayko xx
    kayko´s last blog post ..DESIGNSUPERMARKET red

25. Polly Rowan commented
    January 1st, 2014 at 12:53pm

wow how spectacular! Would love to have seen it in real life. Love the artwork on the bright blue wall in the first picture.
    Polly Rowan´s last blog post ..A Year in Blogging

26. marie commented
    January 2nd, 2014 at 9:26pm

I love this post!

27. Jessica Newell commented
    January 3rd, 2014 at 3:47am

The spaces, artwork, styling in this are gorgeous! Love watching the behind the scenes video – so much work goes into something like this…
    Jessica Newell´s last blog post ..have a ‘radiant orchid’ new year!

28. Dervla commented
    January 7th, 2014 at 1:08am

Thanks for sharing. So beautiful. There are also some fabulous Rachel Castle prints in the last 2 photos

29. Andriana commented
    January 7th, 2014 at 10:20am

This is such a great idea! So creative & inspiring! And the result is simply gorgeous! Congratulations!
    Andriana´s last blog post ..New Year Resolutions

30. Jamie commented
    January 8th, 2014 at 1:07am

Where is the colorful rug from that is shown in the playroom with the teepee?

31. Jes commented
    January 15th, 2014 at 4:37pm

PLEAAAASE tell me where those rugs are from. They’re everything I’ve ever wanted in a rug!

32. Jes commented
    January 15th, 2014 at 4:39pm

Can someone please tell me where those rugs are from. They’re everything I’ve ever wanted in a rug!