Anxiety, Pinning + Waiting For Baby

Hello everyone! I was so thrilled by the response from all of you about our baby’s finished nursery project. It’s been unreal to feel such overwhelming joy and support – thank you. It’s certainly made my final days of pregnancy so nice as I typically being to get really anxious right before something big is about to happen. Our sweet son is due tomorrow! Sadly, I get quite sick the night before any “big” happens in my life – my wedding, my book launch parties, flying, the first day of school… I even get sick before I teach online or in-person workshops! Funny thing is that the moment I have to, “step onto the stage”, the fright is completely gone and I’m 100% myself, happy and you would have thought I was lying if I told you that the night before I was running a fever and had broken out into a cold sweat! This anxiety has griped me since I was 3 or 4 years old, and though I’m “used” to it, it’s definitely not something I enjoy.  After all of these months of being pregnant and worry-free, I finally got a massive dose of anxiety and felt really, really overwhelmed and stuck in my bed this morning. I was up at 5am feeling anxious. I sat in my bed eating clementines trying to distract myself by thinking about my career and some of the fun plans I have for this summer. I also reviewed (again) all of your comments on the nursery tour post over the past few days, which calmed me down. I have to thank each one of you for leaving a little note of encouragement and love because I really, really needed that this morning. I also dragged myself to my acupuncture appointment and then my lady doctor and the little guy is thriving and I finally started having contractions. I stayed outdoors as long as I could (it’s freezing here now) so my husband and I walked over to a favorite spot for a lingering lunch. I felt so good after that. Anxiety is officially gone now. Between my loving doctor and husband, bumping into friends with their new baby on the street, and relaxing with a massive healthy salad, I felt a bit like a superwoman. You know, like we women can really do anything. A day before the due date and I’m out having lunch. How cool is THAT? Once I came back home, I wanted to continue the good mood so to distract myself, I jumped on Pinterest and down the rabbit’s hole I fell. Pinterest can be quite therapeutic sometimes, can’t it? Here are some pins that inspire me today and why. I hope that they inspire you, too.

b161319d537ed225d8c69c26df9d389f

This kitchen from Australian Home Beautiful magazine via Birch & Bird. What I love: Open and Bright feeling, minty green stools with natural wood seats, big basket style lighting. I’m hoping to put lights like these in my new hallway. Stay tuned for that before and after post!

oct29styleshoot-78-e1384094741883-1  This gorgeous tray design, the minty cup and of course, flowers. Always flowers. I can’t get enough. This came from The Glitter Guide.

DSC_3864  A lovely cactus hanging out with some succulent friends, styled beautifully on a small desk to create a very sweet nook in gray, orange, green and black. I keep telling everyone neon orange is the new neon pink. Photography by Marij Hessel from Enter My Attic.

e1b8bdb440b2a35393008b2c002b7963

I really love all of the texture and warmth in this space. That rustic coffee table is lovely and I like the styling on the fireplace – the paintings are all divine! The only thing I would add is my Beni Ourain rug in cream and black and if the fireplace isn’t being used, I’d stack hundreds of magazines inside OR create a few shelves and put books there. Do you do this too? See a photo and imagine the tweaks you’d make to the space to make it your own? If you don’t naturally do that already, try to train yourself to do it vs. just mindlessly pinning as we are usually inclined to do. You can really begin to develop your “look”, your sense of style, through these seemingly simply exercises. Really. This photo came from Blood and Champagne.

8e72de3a5a0e782de24e7c621e1bd590

These pretty patterns, very subdued against natural linen, actually look quite nice if you imagine them in the living room I just shared above. Lots of times we think of something as fitting a very country style cottage but if you use your imagination, often country prints can look really edgy in certain environments or even take on a new life altogether if you pair them with neons – like imagine the first two patterns to the left  – the dotty one and the roses, as a big throw pillow on the floor for lounging, one pattern on one side, one on the other. The piping would be in hot neon pink or neon orange or even neon yellow. The zipper you’ve sewn in could be exposed and in gold so there is some flash. See what I mean about taking on a new life? Photo from Ignite Light.

Brian-Paquette-by-Belathee-for-RueMag

This dining room in Seattle gave me such a cozy feeling the moment I saw it, but beyond that, the wallpaper! Oh my! That is one fantastic pattern isn’t it? I see so many black and white spaces these days that really lack warmth and character but this space is different with it’s warm wood tones and more traditional pieces of furniture. In fact, I think this could be a great alternative, especially if you’re into the current black and white Scandinavian trend that you see so commonly on blogs but like me, feel like it’s still a bit too cold and industrial for your liking. This dining room has a very rustic appeal. Imagine a midpoint? Something in between the stark, clean Scandi b/w rooms and this one? How would I design a room like that? With this wallpaper above, a natural rug like the one shown, those same chairs only with a more graphic seat cushion in black and white and a table with metal legs and a wooden top that looks a bit industrial. I’d also swap out the pendant for someone more modern and graphic in either black or white – or perhaps go with all glass orbs like this one or something similar. Photo from issue #22 of Rue Magazine, via Lark & Linen, showing the home of designer Brian Paquette as photographed by Belathee.

suzanne-collage-kitchen-wallpaper

I was so impressed this morning when I spotted this image on Pinterest and then tracked it down to San Francisco creative director Suzanne Shade who made it by hand for her kitchen. It’s so funky! It’s like London meets Copenhagen style – I can see wallpaper like this selling well at a store like Liberty. I love the mix of photography, toile and solid geometrics. It didn’t hurt that the image contains some air plants and the Tom Dixon “London” candle that I’ve been DYING to own for months now. Photography by sfgirlbybay. And yes, I would hang that wallpaper in my home without hesitation, it would be amazing in my guest bathroom or in my entryway. Drooling over here…

f6f5ae72445eaefa6b0ee5adae185104

I love photos featuring a nicely styled messy bed! My bed in the morning is rarely disheveled stylishly and camera-ready but then again, I’ve also don’t typically awake to gorgeous Victoria’s Secret bed-head either. Anyway, beyond the bed, I love the rich walls and the grouping of tiny vintage frames and mini paintings. Definitely a great look to try if you want to do something a little different than the typical large-picture-above-bed look. Photo via Merrilee Liddiard.

katemossbeauty10

Are you slightly obsessed too by Kate Moss? I grew up with Kate as the “face” of my generation, she is nearly 40 now and still looks wonderful… In fact, I think age suits her quite well. I really want the Kate Moss Book to display on my coffee table – I bet it’s so interesting to flip through and bask in her often breathless photos from year to year. Photo from Kate Moss Daily.

DP6936

I know it’s quite a switch to go from Kate Moss to French textiles, but wow I just can’t help myself. I loved seeing this page from a sample book showing French textiles dating around the 1862 from the Metropolitan Museum of Art. I was so taken in when we studied the history of textiles in college and today I’m no different, I eat this stuff up. What an inspiring glimpse!

I’m hoping you are all doing just great! I’m writing this post with a huge heart full of love for you all as we wait for our little baby boy – his due date is tomorrow and we couldn’t be MORE excited to soon welcome him to our life and to yours, too! xo Holly

(images linked to their sources above)

Posted by decor8 in inspiration on January 30, 2014

1. Romy commented
    January 30th, 2014 at 5:28pm

Holly, all the way from Argentina, I send you all the love and strength for tomorrow. It is going to be the new best day of your life! :)

2. Imke commented
    January 30th, 2014 at 5:48pm

Dear Holly,

Oh I remember this waiting for baby and the butterflies in my stomach.

My midwife said in the pre-birthing-class for my first born: “The most important things are: Don’t plan too much and don’t worry too much – because with babies it will always a) be different and b) as you thought ;-)

So just B.R.E.A.T.H.E. – that is btw the one big thing that I learned from my two pregnancies, deliveries and being a Mom: Just stay calm and breathe. It will pass – the pain, the fear and the anxiety. Literally baby steps! ;-)

Oh and it’s okay to ask friends and family for help or to send them home when you are overwhelmed in the first weeks. You are allowed to be selfish – for your own and your babies good!

I wish you all the best! Tomorrow is new moon maybe that will be the day!
    Best Imke

3. Sabine commented
    January 30th, 2014 at 5:53pm

honest and deep… going trough fears makes one so strong, doesn´t it?
    all the best for you & your family,
    sabine

4. Tina@Traveling Mama commented
    January 30th, 2014 at 6:14pm

Hang in there, sweetie. He will be in your arms before you know it and it will feel like he has been with you forever. You ARE a superwoman and you are going to be an amazing mom! {hugs}
    Tina@Traveling Mama´s last blog post ..Learning to Dress for the Cold

5. ishtar commented
    January 30th, 2014 at 6:54pm

oh I get so excited and happy for you everytime I read about your baby!!!!
    I find myself thinking many times a day if you are already in labor! Oh my! I guess after all this years reading your blog and knowing you it feels like a close friend or family!
    Lots of love Holly!!!
    ishtar´s last blog post ..Snail Mail for Montse ♥ Correo para Montse

6. Laura @ Rather Square commented
    January 30th, 2014 at 7:01pm

Best of luck when your boy decides it’s time! Everything will go great, I know. Nice that you have the nursery all set up and ready to go, that must be a nice feeling.

And I really love those basket lights in the first photo you pinned!
    Laura @ Rather Square´s last blog post ..Our fast-n-snowy refrigerator quest

7. Emma commented
    January 30th, 2014 at 7:10pm

I often get sick before doing big things too. I just think about all the what-ifs and literally get worried sick. But then like you, the moment comes and goes and all is well. That’s how it is going to be for you, too!

Mint is such a color I love lately. I especially want the teacup. Mint can work well with a sort of retro look but also just looks so hip, current and “with it”…plus it usually makes me want something sweet to eat. Not sure why.
    Emma´s last blog post ..Asian Lighting for Understated Beauty

8. Christine commented
    January 30th, 2014 at 7:41pm

There’s nothing so sweet as the final days and anticipating the moment you hold your baby in your arms. Relax, rest and enjoy. The fun is about to begin! Best wishes for a safe delivery! x
    Christine´s last blog post ..a crafty life: a scarf for me (yes me!)

9. tere commented
    January 30th, 2014 at 7:49pm

Holly!! All the best for you!!
    tere´s last blog post ..viajando en auto / traveling by car

10. laurie commented
    January 30th, 2014 at 7:56pm

Hang in there Holly – you are doing great! I remember having anxiety too but then a very strong calm courage came over me just before my daughter came. You have the best group around you from all over the world connecting with thoughts of light and love for your new family in these exciting days of anticipation and then of course when your beautiful boy arrives. You are and will always be a great inspiration – my god these are gorgeous pins and with great descriptions too! – and in your openness and willingness to share your true self here with us. I keep checking FB and here to see if there is any new news… I’m on pins and needles for you! You are in a magical time.

11. Marianne commented
    January 30th, 2014 at 8:20pm

He took his time

12. Fräulein Julia commented
    January 30th, 2014 at 8:32pm

Liebe Holly, es wird sicherlich alles schnell & gut gehen. Deine Leserinnen denken an Dich :o)

13. Nina commented
    January 30th, 2014 at 8:33pm

Dear Holly,
    you are so brave and so loving. Your son is lucky to have a mother like you. I hope everything will go well and I wish you loads of happiness with your family!!!!

All my warmest affection
    Nina

14. Dana @ chocolate and sunshine commented
    January 30th, 2014 at 8:37pm

Dear Holly,

Your little guy will be here before you know it and you won’t even remember what it was like before his beautiful arrival. It’s so hard to be patient for something/someone so wonderful. He will be yours and T’s joy.

Hang in there, keep pinning and YAY, he’s almost here! Go to the movies as that’s something you won’t be able to do for awhile.
    xo Dana
    Dana @ chocolate and sunshine´s last blog post ..Parties/Use Pinterest To Plan Your Super Bowl Party

15. Magda commented
    January 30th, 2014 at 8:37pm

Dear Holly, I am thinking about you these days and send you a lot of love and strength for the coming days! I am happy that you are feeling well, and the anxiety – I would be really surprise (and would not believe you!) if you sad that you are very calm and relaxed before the birth of your first boy! Good thing that you get some distraction distraction and spent some lovely time with Thorsten :). Looking forward to hearing about your baby!
    Magda´s last blog post ..My favorite fall decorating ideas

16. Doris commented
    January 30th, 2014 at 9:37pm

Dear Holly! It`s nearly one year that I am reading your blog and now it`s time to write a few words. I like your taste and the way you write about yourself. I`m suprised how much you share with us. That`s what I fear: the world could know to much about me! No good background for a blog, isn`t it?
    You look so pretty in pregnancy! Enjoy it and the last hours or days with your husband alone- it will be the last for years…. just kidding, I have three children and I still know how exciting it was to see their little faces after birth. This makes the little persons complete after knowing them without seeing. Children are miracles and it is such a great gift to accompany them on their way. I wish you the best! Be strong! Think positive! Stay calm!!! for the next 20 years!!
    Doris

17. susaninfrance commented
    January 30th, 2014 at 9:37pm

Holly, such a wonderful time this is! I had my kids in Luxembourg but now live in France (after a few years back in the usa). I was induced each time as they never seemed to want to come out (all three of them!).

Luxembourg is very German and it was such a wonderful experience–so natural and eco. I loved all the German advice and leanings I got and I think my babies all benefited from that knowledge though I still read all the “what to expect” stuff (which made me panic and anxious unnecessarily but that is just me).

Good luck with it all–it may not go exactly how you’ve planned (mine certainly didn’t) but it’ll be your experience in the end and it’ll be lovely for you and your new little one.

Your nursery is so lovely–and the new apartment as well–I just love european city apartments. We are in Burgundy in an old winery now and I’m starting to decorate. Enjoy this time!!
    xoxo

18. Tracey commented
    January 30th, 2014 at 9:39pm

I’ll be thinking of ya. Once you look into those eyes ……. you’ll forget all of this. ox T
    Tracey´s last blog post ..Purple

19. Aga @ Passion shake commented
    January 30th, 2014 at 9:44pm

It’s going to be all right :) You guys are more ready than anyone else :) Very soon you will forget about all those fears and see a little cute baby face smiling at you! :)

btw. l love that funky wallpaper in Suzanne Shade’s kitchen!

All the best and big hugs! xo
    Aga @ Passion shake´s last blog post ..DIY – Lemon hand lotion

20. Maureen commented
    January 30th, 2014 at 9:49pm

Best wishes for a happy, healthy baby boy — and quick and pain free delivery!
    Maureen´s last blog post ..Birchbox top ten…

21. Georgie commented
    January 30th, 2014 at 10:05pm

Aww you’re going to be absolutely fine. I was so nervous before my son was born 16 weeks ago, but when I went into labour I suddenly became very focused and everything was fine. There was always a great sense of excitement spurring me on too. It’s an amazing thing you’re about to experience with a lovely baby at the end of all the hard work!

22. Maria commented
    January 30th, 2014 at 10:25pm

Holly, I was making inner and thinking on you and the baby. The baby’s nursery is so cute, lovely. I love it :)! All my best thoughts and wishes for you, the baby and Thorsten! Ohhh it is such a special moment!!

23. Kerstin commented
    January 30th, 2014 at 10:47pm

Just enjoy the feeling of waiting. It will be great at all and the moment you feel that sweet little baby on your skin´is one of the greatest moments ever… My first báby was 16 days ‘late’, so there’s plenty of time ;-)
    All the best, Kerstin

24. Jeska Hearne commented
    January 30th, 2014 at 10:57pm

Love the black and white patterned dining room wallpaper! Can’t wait to ‘meet’ your little baby boy, good luck Holly so excited for you x
    Jeska Hearne´s last blog post ..ETSY PAGES – FOUR FROM DAZZLE ME

25. Madeleine commented
    January 30th, 2014 at 11:58pm

Dear Holly,
    how brave to share these private thoughts with us. I’m sure it’ll all be allright! I remember how I got calmer and calmer the more days I passed the due date. I was 10 days past the due date and my husband and I went to the movies the night before I delivered our daughter.
    I wish you all the best for your big day and hope you’ll find a way to “hear” what your body and baby is telling you. And then just listen ;-)
    Can’t wait to hear the big news!

26. Melissa de la Fuente commented
    January 31st, 2014 at 12:28am

So sorry you were anxious hunnie and so glad you are feeling like superwoman today! :) SOOOO excited for you! Loving that dining room….so lovely, warm and cosy. Thinking of you and can’t wait to hear little one is here!
    xo
    Melis
    Melissa de la Fuente´s last blog post ..Inspiration

27. Sarah Tesch commented
    January 31st, 2014 at 12:30am

All the best Holly. I always look forward to reading & looking at your posts! I hope all goes smoothly with the birth of your baby boy!

28. Ana commented
    January 31st, 2014 at 1:04am

All the best for tomorrow! Now that the anxiety has gone and being strong as you are, everyhting will work out perfectly! Just let everything follow its natural path and take things calmly! A big hug all the way from Portugal!
    Ana´s last blog post ..Estava eu virada para Norte…

29. Silvia commented
    January 31st, 2014 at 2:52am

I get sick at big life events and moments too … all the time … definitely struggle with anxiety and then not feeling well so i can completely understand, and this is a huge event you are preparing for. Just remember that at the end of the day your body was made for this, you’ll end up surrendering to the flow of it all, however it works out … that you’ll have a beautiful baby boy in your arms soon soon and this will all have been worth it. Deep breaths, i love the pins and the fact that pinning calms you down (me too!). x
    Silvia´s last blog post ..Taking time to see the beauty

30. Helen commented
    January 31st, 2014 at 7:22am

I too get anxiety, it is the worst place to be in. I wish you the best for your baby’s birth.

31. Aleksandra Cos o Literach commented
    January 31st, 2014 at 8:55am

Fingers crossed! All the best for the whole family!!
    Aleksandra Cos o Literach´s last blog post ..BARDZO INTRYGUJĄCA LAMPA. KOUSHI.

32. viviane commented
    January 31st, 2014 at 9:11am

Dear Holly,

unfortunately, I don’t get to read your blog very often. But when I read it, I think, wow this women knows how to express women’s thoughts, wishes, fears etc. Your writing is amazing. And I am sure being a mom will add even a new dimension to your blog.

I hope that you can realize all or at least a few of your planed professional projects for this year but don’t be surprised if you won’t find the time. Your baby boy will turn your world upside down and there will be days where you even don’t have time to take a shower in the morning… However, it will be the most stressful but also the most rewarding ‘job’ you ever had ;-).

With my warmest regards,
    Viviane

33. Larissa commented
    January 31st, 2014 at 10:32am

Hi Holly,

I am thinking of you, I remember feeling the same before my little boy was born I had to be induced so it was all planned which made me even more worried and nervous.
    But seeing him arrive will be so amazing honestly I felt the same way three times seeing that little person who has just been sitting in there to meet mum and dad it is just hard to do it justice with words :).

The nursery is amazing honestly what a lucky little guy :) I am going to steal the Star Wars characters in the shadow box idea! My sons are obsessed by Star Wars such a wonderful way to display without being all commercial and cheesy something I have avoided with my boys actually with all things in my house really.
    So excited to hear your news and please take care, sending you a virtual hug!
    Larissa xxx

34. decor8 commented
    January 31st, 2014 at 10:57am

@viviane – wow, thanks so much, your words really made me feel great today. :)

35. Polly Rowan commented
    January 31st, 2014 at 11:43am

Hi Holly,

Hope you’re feeling less panicky now – I am the same and it is totally normal! I can’t imagine how nerve wracking it must be. But I imagine that once you’re in the moment and you have your beautiful baby boy, you will forget all about feeling scared!

Lovely images. Do you know what the wallpaper is in that dining room? The black and white one? I love it!
    x
    Polly Rowan´s last blog post ..5 Happy Things

36. Liselore commented
    January 31st, 2014 at 3:47pm

Hi Holly,

So happy to hear that your baby is almost there! I wish you all the best. I know you are a power power so you can do that! The only thing I can recommend you is to relax as much as possible and don’t be scared. The baby will come one way or the other and it will be different than you expected it to be. The birth of your little boy is such a special moment. Enjoy it as much as you can! I gave birth to a little boy last year and I enjoy every moment since then!

Big hugs from Holland!

Liselore

37. dana gault commented
    February 1st, 2014 at 1:23am

Dearest Holly,
    I remember all those delicious butterflies when I was about to become a new mom as if it were yesterday–all your wonderful readers seem to agree! What I sooned learned holding my wee daughter in her very first moments is that bubbly feeling was me falling deeply, helplessly in love <3

The butterflies are preparing your heart for the most wonderful journey of your life! Lucky Mom! Lucky baby!

You deserve every happiness.

Xo dana

PS: I confess I'm praying to see the blog isn't updated so we know your dream is coming true!

38. decor8 commented
    February 1st, 2014 at 9:59am

@Dana – No baby yet! But we’re waiting! :)

39. Laura commented
    February 1st, 2014 at 4:55pm

Thank you for adding original links to each of these wonderful images though you found them on Pinterest. Very thoughtful of you.
    I’m glad your nerves are over and am sending lots of good, calm energy your way. Can’t wait to see your sweet babe!

40. decor8 commented
    February 1st, 2014 at 5:52pm

@Laura – Some I found on Pinterest, others not. But yes, I always work hard to link to original sources or the home pages of photographers.

41. topa commented
    February 1st, 2014 at 6:44pm

I am following you since quite a while now and enjoy reading your posts so much. So all the best to you, your husband and the little one! :-)
    topa´s last blog post ..right here, right now #14 – Monatsendfragen zu Jahresbeginn

42. michelle commented
    February 2nd, 2014 at 9:45pm

Hi, I don’t usually comment but I felt compelled when I read about your anxieties. I too was very anxious before giving birth, it crept up all of a sudden after months of me being very laid back about the whole thing. I think people with creative minds always tend to overthink and imagine lots of ‘what ifs’! I can tell you that as soon as you hold your baby all of these fears will melt away and you’ll wonder how you ever lived without them. I know this sounds really mushy but it’s completely true!

Good luck for the big day!
    michelle´s last blog post ..Crafty Exploits: New Work 4

43. Lily commented
    February 4th, 2014 at 6:05am

Waiting is never easy, especially for something as wonderful as a baby! My eldest was almost 3 weeks overdue and it was sooo torturous…never ending anxiety! Try to enjoy the quiet moments now and get your rest, Mama. So excited for you! (p.s. Thanks so much for the link love too…I absolutely love that Home Beautiful kitchen :)
    Lily´s last blog post ..Alt Summit 2014: The Business Cards

44. Amanda Schaumburger commented
    February 19th, 2014 at 8:29am

Congrats on your new arrival!

Do you happen to know where the basket lights are from? I’ve seen them floating around for some time now and just love them!
    Amanda Schaumburger´s last blog post ..The First Post