Monochrome Style in a Dutch Family Home

Hello, it’s Holly Marder with another Homes With Heart column and this time I’m touring you through a sleek Scandinavian style home belonging to a Dutch graphic designer and her family. Ready for the tour? Having grown up in a dark house laden with thick carpeting, dark walls, persian rugs and heavy mahogany furniture, graphic designer Femke Brooks finds herself being drawn to clean, contemporary lines, open spaces and a monochrome colour palette. In the Scandinavian inspired home she shares with her husband and son in Tilburg, The Netherlands, northern influences form the primary components.

marder4

“Simplicity and use of light are two of the things that inspire me most about Scandinavian homes,” Femke says. Emphasizing her home’s abundance of natural light and spacious floor plan, she has kept furnishings and accessories to a bare minimum.

marder2

marder3

marder1

Materials such as copper, wood, concrete and wool, simplicity of design and geometric elements are right at home in the designers minimalistic abode. When it comes to colour, Femke prefers to employ shades of grey upon crisp whites and elements of black for high contrast. Wooden accents and soft textures add warmth and depth to the space. “The combination of white, grey and black has something robust and tough about it, but more than that, these shades combined create a sense of space and light,” Femke says.

marder5

marder6

marder7

marder8

Femke enjoys nothing more than decorating her home, drawing inspiration from the changing seasons. “Each season has a certain style, and I really enjoy styling for the different times of the year. I try to involve my little boy in the decorating process.”

marder10 (click to enlarge)

marder20

marder12

marder9

Styled vignettes create little areas of interest throughout her home. “When I put together a still life, I try to incorporate different heights, shades and textures but the end result is never too busy,” Femke explains. The designer also enjoys creating things for her own home, and many of the graphic prints found throughout the space were the creation of Femke and her Paqhuis business partner Karlijn de Jong. Femke also made the artwork above the dresser in the living room.

marder17

marder21

Femke draws much of her inspiration from the Dutch design blog April and May for the simplicity of style the blog represents, as well as Pinterest, but the Scandinavian aesthetic never ceases to offer inspiration.

When Femke moved into her partner’s bachelor pad, there was absolutely nothing in it but a couch and a table. It was cold and sterile and has taken the most part of two years for Femke to inject a sense of warmth and cosiness to the large space. “I began with accessories, such as cushions, throws, rugs and brought in more wood,” she explains, and though she has always been drawn to characteristic homes with older architectural details the 1970s built home was lacking, feels she has made the best of the space and architectural style of the house.

marder16

marder14

marder11

marder18

marder13

GET THE LOOK:
Spot something that you love? Here are some of the items in Femke’s home:
Sofa: Sur & Plus. Coffee Table: Restyle XL. Cushions living room, Sideboard “Besta” Living room, Grey hooks hallway, White and copper vase on grey stool hallway (DIY project): IKEA. Lamp on sideboard: Tierlantijn. Wooden hand: Hay. Dining table: Restyle XL. Lamps dining room, Wall colour bedroom: ‘Antraciet’ and Wall colour kids & dining room: ‘Vapeur': Karwei. Chairs dining room: Verner Panton (replica). Lamp entrance: Hema. Kids bed & dresser: Coming Kids. Rug bedroom: House Doctor. Button coat hook: HK Living.

So what do you love about this contemporary, monochromatic space? See you next month for another installment of Homes with Heart! – Holly Marder.

(text/images: holly marder)

Posted by decor8 in Homes With Heart on January 30, 2014

1. iHanna commented
    January 30th, 2014 at 11:18pm

Lovely place, wish my walls were white, all white!
    iHanna´s last blog post ..A Fun Craft-a-Doodle Challenge for kids

2. Gina Palha commented
    January 30th, 2014 at 11:43pm

What an amazing place! WOW!
    Black + white + wood = PERFECT COMBINATION! For me a TOTAL HOME WITH HEART!
    LOVE!

3. Amy commented
    January 31st, 2014 at 12:04am

I would love to hear where the letter A shelf unit came from. Its so charming

4. Barbara Ismailovic commented
    January 31st, 2014 at 12:41am

this house has fantastic details, those paintings, decorations, plants..everything looks cozy. for my taste i would add little bit of intensive color details, but that just me.
    i specially love those dining table and coffee table, I’m in search for perfect coffee table, and this is quite inspiring.

Have a nice day :)
    Barbara Ismailovic´s last blog post ..Cold and busy days

5. Lucy Chen commented
    January 31st, 2014 at 2:30am

Very minimalist, tidy, clean and bright. I liked it!
    Lucy Chen´s last blog post ..13 Things that will Surprise You about Hand Fans

6. Alex commented
    January 31st, 2014 at 4:37am

Can anyone please comment on where this great white desk in the office is from???? Thank you!

7. Celine H commented
    January 31st, 2014 at 10:00am

I’ve always admired the Dutch/Scandinavian no-clutter policy. Although I’m not sure how sensible white is for a children’s room!

8. Shaula commented
    January 31st, 2014 at 11:32am

Love it!! Such fantastic light and such simplicity. Gorgeous!!!
    Shaula´s last blog post ..No.3 #52weeksDIY

9. Martine Jennings commented
    January 31st, 2014 at 11:50pm

Absolutely beautiful!! I love everything about this home!! I wish I could be as restrained, I tried recently but colour always creeps back in!!!

10. Al commented
    February 1st, 2014 at 4:23am

Love seeing all white decor and seeing that a child lives there! It gives me hope!! Definitely pinned this! Thanks for sharing!
    Al´s last blog post ..French Press

11. sunny commented
    February 1st, 2014 at 5:32pm

I love this home! all the white and light is gorgeous.
    My favorite is the office area. Curious where the cabinet over the desk came from? I want one!!
    sunny´s last blog post ..childrens bedrooms

12. Mina commented
    February 3rd, 2014 at 4:28pm

What a breath of fresh air. Love this tour. : )
    Mina´s last blog post ..Interiors Monday – Blue & White China – 02.03.2014

13. Femke commented
    February 4th, 2014 at 8:59am

Alex, It’s from IKEA

14. Femke commented
    February 4th, 2014 at 9:01am

sunny,

From IKEA :)

15. Angel commented
    February 4th, 2014 at 12:59pm

What a great nursery, simple, light and fresh. Less is definitely more.

16. Anu commented
    February 6th, 2014 at 8:18pm

Gorgeous Scandi style home! I enjoyed this tour very much, thank you! :)

17. Christina commented
    February 7th, 2014 at 12:41am

I really admire this home. So airy and delightful.

I’m wondering where the white cupboards in the livingroom are from?
    Im talking about the one in this picture: http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/originals/43/fb/3c/43fb3c588eb62931df3fa0a091292169.jpg

18. Gé commented
    February 7th, 2014 at 9:25am

Hi, I would like to know where the changing table (white and wood) in the nursery in the baby room came from?
    Thanks a lot!!!

19. meg commented
    February 22nd, 2014 at 7:24pm

I love the fresh clean look and feel of this home. Thank you!!!

20. Erika @ eSteele creative commented
    February 26th, 2014 at 11:13pm

Alex,

No sure if you got your answer by now Alex but it’s from Ikea. I have it in birch finish. It is a workhorse of a desk. It’s from the Galant series.

21. Kayla Seah commented
    March 25th, 2014 at 11:11pm

Love that g! I’ve got the same one in my living room. Same with the Eames chairs. Great taste xx
    Kayla Seah´s last blog post ..A Giveaway to mbrace

22. Elana commented
    September 12th, 2014 at 9:26pm

Hi Alex,
    I would be so grateful to know where the “I Love You To The Moon and Back” black and white print is from. I have scoured Etsy for the right one for my children’s room and can’t find one I like, but love the one I see in this home. The saying it special to our family.

Much gratitude,