Simple Times : What I Learned Over a Turkish Meal About Being a Do-er

Hello sweet decor8 readers! It’s Rincy with the first Simple Times post of 2014. I will be honest and say that January was one of ‘those’ months for me which is why I skipped writing here then and thought I’d get started in February instead. The first week of 2014 was spent overworking and then the following weeks were more work and then catching up with things that should have been done the first week. (Please dear friends, tell me I’m not the only one?) The internet however, seemed vibrant with ideas to suit everyone: plan, don’t plan, indulge, don’t overindulge. Listen. Speak. Inspire. Learn. Cleanse. Eat. It left me thinking and then even worse led me to over-thinking. And then well, it just left me plain old stuck in one place. Fast forward to meeting a new friend. The best thing about that is no pre-conceived notions of how things should be. It’s honest conversation without the guilt. That conversation you have with that person on a bus, plane or solo walk home with a friend of a friend. A clean slate. Easy, honest, free. Today, I watched for the second time as my friend prepared a gorgeous Turkish meal for rainy day conversations.

Unknown

During it, I realized that resolution or no resolution, sometimes it’s about the ‘doing’ that matters. The women I am inspired by are all ‘do-ers’- they adore what they do and even more than that, truly care to keep on growing. A ‘do-er’ does not always achieve high accolades, money in the bank, go a dress size down with minimal effort- it just simply means they are out there in the world saying ‘hey, I’m here and I’m trying.’

Unknown-1

Unknown-3

Unknown-2

(Click on any image above to enlarge.)

And that to me is a whole lot less pressure for the start of the year. So here’s to being a do-er this year. Even if it is one month later than most.

From two ladies who ate well, spoke freely and are finally ready to start 2014: Let’s do this thing. How are you feeling so far about 2014 everyone? -Rincy

(Food/Styling: Ajda Mehmet, Photos/Words: Rincy Koshy)

Posted by decor8 in Simple Times on February 05, 2014

1. Nicole commented
    February 5th, 2014 at 4:23pm

O yes! I was so ready for 2014! Ibegan, to do things just right away! I love it so much! Whether some projects I started/keep going or talking to friends much more “in real life”, cooking vegan! I feel much more alife. You are so right, it’s all about “trying”! By the way, I love your pictures, mmhhhhh! Great post!
    Nicole
    Nicole´s last blog post ..Es wird romantisch

2. Gina Palha commented
    February 5th, 2014 at 4:36pm

Oh Rincy, I feel your words as if they were mine. Around here I am also starting a month late! They say that February is the new January :)

‘hey, I’m here and I’m trying.’ :)

3. Joshtyn commented
    February 5th, 2014 at 6:42pm

I really loved this post. It’s like you were speaking for me. My January has been crazy and there are so many plans (house, wedding, business, oh my), so I was thinking and thinking some more. Until eventually my brain just couldn’t cope all the different plans and I was stuck. So I am gonna try and do less thinking and much more just doing…
    Joshtyn´s last blog post ..Lets talk business | Brenton Hayden

4. CLA commented
    February 5th, 2014 at 8:03pm

Oh, you gotta share recipes or at least names of the dishes! I think I had the Pita dish while in Ankara.

5. Beauty Follower commented
    February 5th, 2014 at 8:43pm

Yummy photos!

Beauty Follower´s last blog post ..A different version of a delicious cheesecake

6. Silkie commented
    February 5th, 2014 at 9:04pm

Thanks Rincy, lovely thoughts to mull over:)
    Silkie´s last blog post ..Introducing My New Paper Collection “Little Dolly Wotsit”

7. Emily commented
    February 5th, 2014 at 9:50pm

Hi Rincy! This is just such a wonderful post. Here’s to 2014 being a year of doing! “Pin It – Do It” might be my new motto ;-) Enjoy xx
    Emily´s last blog post ..Eight years of pregnancy and breastfeeding

8. Jessica commented
    February 6th, 2014 at 12:18am

So far 2014 has been great and full of Do-ing! Sometimes its not about when you start but the fact that you do start :)

The meal looks absolutely delicious btw, its making me hungry – nice work!
    Jessica´s last blog post ..my design box – the Chesterfield sofa

9. mel commented
    February 6th, 2014 at 3:28am

What a lovely post Rincy! It’s so refreshing to meet new friends that have that calming effect on us… and thanks for taking the pressure off, I’ll keep doing:)
    mel´s last blog post ..Wohnideen Review | Homes of European Bloggers

10. Malia commented
    February 6th, 2014 at 4:42am

The food looks so tasty. Could you give us more information on what foods are pictured? Thanks!

11. Amy commented
    February 6th, 2014 at 8:25am

“it just simply means they are out there in the world saying ‘hey, I’m here and I’m trying.’”

beautiful. and that is enough :) your honest words got me tonight – thank you for them!

12. Carole Poirot commented
    February 6th, 2014 at 9:44am

Thank you! All the ‘new year resolutions’ we make too often make us feel like failures when we realise we’re not keeping them. Instead we should embrace what we do achieve without even thinking about it or having set these achievements as a goal. We’d probably be surprised in December how much we really have achieved in a year. :-)

13. steffi commented
    February 6th, 2014 at 11:03am

I really liked this post because it gives me the feeling that I am not the only person who struggles when it comes to making plans, getting there and being successful. Thanks for your open words!

14. decor8 commented
    February 6th, 2014 at 11:08am

@CLA – I recognized Lahmacun right away, we have it everywhere in Germany since we have a very large Turkish community here. It’s so good! Google it for sure! xo

15. Lauren commented
    February 6th, 2014 at 11:26am

Love this post! You’re right too; it doesn’t need to be the start of the year that we all suddenly decide to spring into action. February is as good a month as any.

I need to learn, too, to just ‘get on’ and stop putting off those things (and pieces of work) I’ve been putting off.

Here’s to a successful 2014 for everyone!

Lauren

16. Valentina commented
    February 6th, 2014 at 12:58pm

Oh this is sucha nice post, thank you for that words. I’m allso hire, trying hard. Sometimes I feel tired and lost but mostly I enjoy it all the way. And I agree with Gina Palaha February is new January :). It is never to late to start working on something.

17. Holly {Avenue} commented
    February 6th, 2014 at 4:29pm

As always, Rincy, a joy to read the words you write. I have had much the same this year so it’s encouraging to read I am not alone. Here’s to being a damn good do-er this year! Holly x
    Holly {Avenue}´s last blog post ..Kitchen Redesign on a Budget: The Inspiration!

18. Molly {Dreams in HD} commented
    February 6th, 2014 at 7:01pm

such a great post, i couldn’t agree with your sentiment more!

Molly {Dreams in HD}

Molly {Dreams in HD}´s last blog post ..Recipe :: Buttermilk, Lemon, and Poppy Seed Quinoa Pancakes

19. Katie commented
    February 6th, 2014 at 8:06pm

You are DEFINITELY not alone! January was full of way too much work! It’s like everyone went into overdrive after the Christmas break. Now feeling a bit more relaxed and ready to start the year…

Gorgeous ‘photo of taking a photo’ by the way – that Turkish food looks incredible.
    Katie´s last blog post ..The Circle by Dave Eggers

20. Rincy K commented
    February 6th, 2014 at 8:14pm

Ladies, thank you so much for your kind words and input. It makes me feel a whole lot better knowing that we’re all in it together (for better or worse!). I cannot believe I was so silly to not mention the Turkish dish Lahmacun- it’s beautiful and I’d love to share the recipe from Ajda a little later if you’d like! :)

Wishing you all an incredible February. Looking forward to the next post already xx
    Rincy K´s last blog post ..A turkish meal and little notes for dreamers

21. Jasmina commented
    February 7th, 2014 at 10:53am

Yes! Recipes for all the things, please!
    What is that sauce on the eggplant? And is that a beetroot dip? It all looks delicious :)

22. Ajda commented
    February 7th, 2014 at 6:08pm

Rincy K,

So overwhelmed by all the lovely feedback on the food, I would love to share the recipe with you all too x

23. Lucy Chen commented
    February 8th, 2014 at 11:18am

Mixed feelings about 2014 so far. Life is good, and I love it most of the time, but when the husband is unappreciative and demanding, and lecturing me non-stop, I feel like going mad!
    Lucy Chen´s last blog post ..How “America: Painting a Nation” Has Inspired Me

24. Katelyn commented
    February 8th, 2014 at 8:18pm

You’re words spoke to me as if they were my own. Thank you!
    Katelyn´s last blog post ..E is for Empty

25. Gudy Herder commented
    February 10th, 2014 at 2:02pm

Rincy, your photos are always beautiful, so are your words, too! I can totally relate to your article. I took some business courses a time ago, and there was one saying of all that stuck with me: ‘sloppy success is better than perfect mediocrity’ which means start doing, start trying out, see what happens and if necessary modify bit by bit. You don’t need to come up with the perfect product or service at the beginning just start doing…xo
    Gudy Herder´s last blog post ..Monday thoughts about traveling and staying balanced

26. Holly commented
    February 12th, 2014 at 6:52am

Lovely thoughts and delicious looking food! Thank you for a beautifully done post! Would you pretty please forward the dish names or recipes? I would be a happy camper ;-) making these treats for my lil family.

27. CLA commented
    February 12th, 2014 at 7:16pm

Kymali Pide…that’s the dish it reminded me of! Yum!

28. Holly commented
    February 15th, 2014 at 8:05pm

Great article Rincy… I felt the same during January and found very little to share on my blog. Here’s to February and finding our words again!

29. Holly commented
    February 15th, 2014 at 8:05pm

Holly´s last blog post ..Attention all Dublin bloggers… Lifestyle Blogger Meetup at Coppa Cafe

30. Katie commented
    February 16th, 2014 at 12:27am

Recipes please! This looks oh so delicious.

31. Maria-Thérèse commented
    February 21st, 2014 at 5:59pm

I love this: “A ‘do-er’ does not always achieve high accolades, money in the bank, go a dress size down with minimal effort- it just simply means they are out there in the world saying ‘hey, I’m here and I’m trying.’”

32. Jenny Lynn commented
    February 24th, 2014 at 12:05am

Cheers to being a do-er this year, no matter when you get started. After all, we are not behind or late getting started. We get to start where we are at and go from there. :) I surely feel inspired.
    Jenny Lynn´s last blog post ..Cherry Delight