Ramblings

What I Learned Over a Turkish Meal About Being a Do-er

February 5, 2014

Hello sweet decor8 readers! It’s Rincy with the first Simple Times post of 2014. I will be honest and say that January was one of ‘those’ months for me which is why I skipped writing here then and thought I’d get started in February instead. The first week of 2014 was spent overworking and then the following weeks were more work and then catching up with things that should have been done the first week. (Please dear friends, tell me I’m not the only one?) The internet however, seemed vibrant with ideas to suit everyone: plan, don’t plan, indulge, don’t overindulge. Listen. Speak. Inspire. Learn. Cleanse. Eat. It left me thinking and then even worse led me to over-thinking. And then well, it just left me plain old stuck in one place. Fast forward to meeting a new friend. The best thing about that is no pre-conceived notions of how things should be. It’s honest conversation without the guilt. That conversation you have with that person on a bus, plane or solo walk home with a friend of a friend. A clean slate. Easy, honest, free. Today, I watched for the second time as my friend prepared a gorgeous Turkish meal for rainy day conversations.

What I Learned Over a Turkish Meal About Being a Do er

During it, I realized that resolution or no resolution, sometimes it’s about the ‘doing’ that matters. The women I am inspired by are all ‘do-ers’- they adore what they do and even more than that, truly care to keep on growing. A ‘do-er’ does not always achieve high accolades, money in the bank, go a dress size down with minimal effort- it just simply means they are out there in the world saying ‘hey, I’m here and I’m trying.’

What I Learned Over a Turkish Meal About Being a Do er

What I Learned Over a Turkish Meal About Being a Do er

What I Learned Over a Turkish Meal About Being a Do er

(Click on any image above to enlarge.)

And that to me is a whole lot less pressure for the start of the year. So here’s to being a do-er this year. Even if it is one month later than most.

From two ladies who ate well, spoke freely and are finally ready to start 2014: Let’s do this thing. How are you feeling so far about 2014 everyone?Rincy

(Food/Styling: Ajda Mehmet, Photos/Words: Rincy Koshy)

You Might Also Like

32 Comments

• Reply Nicole February 5, 2014 at 4:23 pm

O yes! I was so ready for 2014! Ibegan, to do things just right away! I love it so much! Whether some projects I started/keep going or talking to friends much more “in real life”, cooking vegan! I feel much more alife. You are so right, it’s all about “trying”! By the way, I love your pictures, mmhhhhh! Great post!
    Nicole

• Reply Gina Palha February 5, 2014 at 4:36 pm

Oh Rincy, I feel your words as if they were mine. Around here I am also starting a month late! They say that February is the new January :)

‘hey, I’m here and I’m trying.’ :)

• Reply Joshtyn February 5, 2014 at 6:42 pm

I really loved this post. It’s like you were speaking for me. My January has been crazy and there are so many plans (house, wedding, business, oh my), so I was thinking and thinking some more. Until eventually my brain just couldn’t cope all the different plans and I was stuck. So I am gonna try and do less thinking and much more just doing…

• Reply CLA February 5, 2014 at 8:03 pm

Oh, you gotta share recipes or at least names of the dishes! I think I had the Pita dish while in Ankara.

• Reply decor8 February 6, 2014 at 11:08 am

@CLA – I recognized Lahmacun right away, we have it everywhere in Germany since we have a very large Turkish community here. It’s so good! Google it for sure! xo

• Reply Beauty Follower February 5, 2014 at 8:43 pm

Yummy photos!

• Reply Silkie February 5, 2014 at 9:04 pm

Thanks Rincy, lovely thoughts to mull over:)

• Reply Emily February 5, 2014 at 9:50 pm

Hi Rincy! This is just such a wonderful post. Here’s to 2014 being a year of doing! “Pin It – Do It” might be my new motto ;-) Enjoy xx

• Reply Jessica February 6, 2014 at 12:18 am

So far 2014 has been great and full of Do-ing! Sometimes its not about when you start but the fact that you do start :)

The meal looks absolutely delicious btw, its making me hungry – nice work!

• Reply mel February 6, 2014 at 3:28 am

What a lovely post Rincy! It’s so refreshing to meet new friends that have that calming effect on us… and thanks for taking the pressure off, I’ll keep doing:)

• Reply Malia February 6, 2014 at 4:42 am

The food looks so tasty. Could you give us more information on what foods are pictured? Thanks!

• Reply Amy February 6, 2014 at 8:25 am

“it just simply means they are out there in the world saying ‘hey, I’m here and I’m trying.’”

beautiful. and that is enough :) your honest words got me tonight – thank you for them!

• Reply Carole Poirot February 6, 2014 at 9:44 am

Thank you! All the ‘new year resolutions’ we make too often make us feel like failures when we realise we’re not keeping them. Instead we should embrace what we do achieve without even thinking about it or having set these achievements as a goal. We’d probably be surprised in December how much we really have achieved in a year. :-)

• Reply steffi February 6, 2014 at 11:03 am

I really liked this post because it gives me the feeling that I am not the only person who struggles when it comes to making plans, getting there and being successful. Thanks for your open words!

• Reply Lauren February 6, 2014 at 11:26 am

Love this post! You’re right too; it doesn’t need to be the start of the year that we all suddenly decide to spring into action. February is as good a month as any.

I need to learn, too, to just ‘get on’ and stop putting off those things (and pieces of work) I’ve been putting off.

Here’s to a successful 2014 for everyone!

Lauren

• Reply Valentina February 6, 2014 at 12:58 pm

Oh this is sucha nice post, thank you for that words. I’m allso hire, trying hard. Sometimes I feel tired and lost but mostly I enjoy it all the way. And I agree with Gina Palaha February is new January :). It is never to late to start working on something.

• Reply Holly {Avenue} February 6, 2014 at 4:29 pm

As always, Rincy, a joy to read the words you write. I have had much the same this year so it’s encouraging to read I am not alone. Here’s to being a damn good do-er this year! Holly x

• Reply Molly {Dreams in HD} February 6, 2014 at 7:01 pm

such a great post, i couldn’t agree with your sentiment more!

Molly {Dreams in HD}

• Reply Katie February 6, 2014 at 8:06 pm

You are DEFINITELY not alone! January was full of way too much work! It’s like everyone went into overdrive after the Christmas break. Now feeling a bit more relaxed and ready to start the year…

Gorgeous ‘photo of taking a photo’ by the way – that Turkish food looks incredible.

• Reply Rincy K February 6, 2014 at 8:14 pm

Ladies, thank you so much for your kind words and input. It makes me feel a whole lot better knowing that we’re all in it together (for better or worse!). I cannot believe I was so silly to not mention the Turkish dish Lahmacun- it’s beautiful and I’d love to share the recipe from Ajda a little later if you’d like! :)

Wishing you all an incredible February. Looking forward to the next post already xx

• Reply Jasmina February 7, 2014 at 10:53 am

Yes! Recipes for all the things, please!
    What is that sauce on the eggplant? And is that a beetroot dip? It all looks delicious :)

• Reply Ajda February 7, 2014 at 6:08 pm

Rincy K,

So overwhelmed by all the lovely feedback on the food, I would love to share the recipe with you all too x

• Reply Lucy Chen February 8, 2014 at 11:18 am

Mixed feelings about 2014 so far. Life is good, and I love it most of the time, but when the husband is unappreciative and demanding, and lecturing me non-stop, I feel like going mad!

• Reply Katelyn February 8, 2014 at 8:18 pm

You’re words spoke to me as if they were my own. Thank you!

• Reply Gudy Herder February 10, 2014 at 2:02 pm

Rincy, your photos are always beautiful, so are your words, too! I can totally relate to your article. I took some business courses a time ago, and there was one saying of all that stuck with me: ‘sloppy success is better than perfect mediocrity’ which means start doing, start trying out, see what happens and if necessary modify bit by bit. You don’t need to come up with the perfect product or service at the beginning just start doing…xo

• Reply Holly February 12, 2014 at 6:52 am

Lovely thoughts and delicious looking food! Thank you for a beautifully done post! Would you pretty please forward the dish names or recipes? I would be a happy camper ;-) making these treats for my lil family.

• Reply CLA February 12, 2014 at 7:16 pm

Kymali Pide…that’s the dish it reminded me of! Yum!

• Reply Holly February 15, 2014 at 8:05 pm

Great article Rincy… I felt the same during January and found very little to share on my blog. Here’s to February and finding our words again!

• Reply Holly February 15, 2014 at 8:05 pm

• Reply Katie February 16, 2014 at 12:27 am

Recipes please! This looks oh so delicious.

• Reply Maria-Thérèse February 21, 2014 at 5:59 pm

I love this: “A ‘do-er’ does not always achieve high accolades, money in the bank, go a dress size down with minimal effort- it just simply means they are out there in the world saying ‘hey, I’m here and I’m trying.’”

• Reply Jenny Lynn February 24, 2014 at 12:05 am

Cheers to being a do-er this year, no matter when you get started. After all, we are not behind or late getting started. We get to start where we are at and go from there. :) I surely feel inspired.