Handmade

Potter Bridget Bodenham – Wow!

February 20, 2014

I have to share the amazing work of potter Bridget Bodenham! I found her on Instagram (follow her here) and have been love struck ever since. She is a potter who makes objects from clay, both functional and non-functional for display only in her studio in Hepburn Springs Victoria, Australia. Below is a glimpse of her studio from Oversize Me and some of my favorite images from her Instagram account that she took of her most recent creations. The first image is by far my favorite – I’d love to own both pieces to serve olives, oil, bread and cheese during a relaxing evening at home with friends – and of course, a bottle of Riesling! The tiny bouquet makes this photo even more appealing, doesn’t it? A touch of pink looks so pretty in this arrangement. Flowers are the best accents when displaying food, at least I think so.

Potter Bridget Bodenham   Wow!

Bridget occasionally hosts open studio days – if I lived in Victoria I would definitely go because it would be such a relaxing and inspiring visit, I’m sure. Ceramics make me feel so cozy – from the way they look and feel to their smell as wet clay is being formed – it immediately takes me back to school when we learned how to use a potter’s wheel in the 6th grade. I used to LOVE the smell of our school art room – the chalky paints and the clay together – and I still do. As far as Bridget’s work is concerned, I particularly like her use of metallics and this stunning chain link piece below is one I covet because I’d love to display it in my own home.

Potter Bridget Bodenham   Wow!

After doing a bit of googling, I found that Lucy had the chance to visit her in 2011 and this interview was the result. Though it’s a few years old, it’s still a great read so please link over and check it out. There’s another great write-up about her on the Broadsheet website, too.

Are you a lover of ceramics like I am? I have an entire cabinet now dedicated to the ceramics that I collect and noticed a few weeks ago as I was unpacking them to place inside that most of my ceramics are white! Do you collect white ceramics too? Are you more into colors? Do you have a favorite ceramicist you’d like to share? Add their link below to the comments section so I can check them out and possibly pin to my Ceramics pinboard on Pinterest. I’d really appreciate it!

Hope you are all doing great! xo Holly

(images bridget bodenham, lucy feegin)

You Might Also Like

16 Comments

• Reply Carole Poirot February 20, 2014 at 11:04 am

The pieces are absolutely stunning, I love the natural look and feel they have and the touches of gold work so nicely. Her studio looks gorgeous, too. Shame that a ticket to Australia might be a little on the expensive side for a visit… xo

• Reply Lauren February 20, 2014 at 12:35 pm

Wow, they’re gorgeous – some really lovely pieces there.

x

• Reply Karen February 20, 2014 at 1:21 pm

Hi Holly, lovely post, I love all ceramics by Dutch ceramist Elke van den Berg, see http://www.elkevandenberg.nl x Karen

• Reply Sofia February 20, 2014 at 3:01 pm

Very nice pieces; I am bit of a decorator myself, right now I’m working on a living room and this style will most definitely be part of my project.

I also like making some pieces on my own; sometime mixing ikea pieces with self made parts; it gives it a quite unique look.

Thanks for sharing this beautiful handmade ceramics; I really like white ceramics too. it makes me think of a summer in some remote Greek island.

Keep up the lovely blog

• Reply Marianne February 20, 2014 at 5:52 pm

I have a weakness for pottery, both new and old. Two years ago I visited the town of Brunnen in Switzerland. Opposite of the hotel is the pottery of Anita Furrer. Even though I am not fond of black pottery, I think this is very beautiful.

• Reply Michelle February 20, 2014 at 6:28 pm

I love the cup and saucer ceramics by Bridget Bodenham – thank you for sharing – I’ve been stuck to her instagram account for about ten minutes now just scrolling through all of her pretty snapshots.

• Reply tehmna February 20, 2014 at 6:29 pm

I am a great fan of pottery specially hand made ones. . I love these cups and saucers, they have a personal touch awesome

• Reply Brandyn | Southern Distinctions February 20, 2014 at 6:31 pm

These are such beautifully organic pieces. Thanks for the introduction!

• Reply Vittoria February 20, 2014 at 8:49 pm

I love it! wonderful!

• Reply Junalin @ Doula Training February 21, 2014 at 12:59 am

Wonderful photos! Pots, cups and bowls are totally great. You did so well. Thanks a lot for sharing this!

• Reply Lisa @ Lisas Creative Designs February 21, 2014 at 2:16 am

Wow! Beautiful work and what a cool studio! Those are repurposed containers right? Cool! I love the blue and white swirl pieces.

• Reply L'Oliphant February 21, 2014 at 12:25 pm

beautiful!

• Reply Jessica February 21, 2014 at 3:34 pm

Loving the organic shapes of these pieces paired with glossy gold accents.

• Reply Ines February 22, 2014 at 12:05 am

Simply just lovely, I love the photos!

• Reply erika February 24, 2014 at 2:35 am

Isn’t it amazing what one can do with dirt! Ceramics has always been one of my loves…..I remember sitting at a potter’s wheel in college and just creating. Those were some of the best days. I just found this ceramicist who has some amazing work –

• Reply Olivia February 28, 2014 at 6:42 pm

an absolutely beautiful collection of pottery! Thank you very much for sharing