Potter Bridget Bodenham – Wow!

I have to share the amazing work of potter Bridget Bodenham! I found her on Instagram (follow her here) and have been love struck ever since. She is a potter who makes objects from clay, both functional and non-functional for display only in her studio in Hepburn Springs Victoria, Australia. Below is a glimpse of her studio from Oversize Me and some of my favorite images from her Instagram account that she took of her most recent creations. The first image is by far my favorite – I’d love to own both pieces to serve olives, oil, bread and cheese during a relaxing evening at home with friends – and of course, a bottle of Riesling! The tiny bouquet makes this photo even more appealing, doesn’t it? A touch of pink looks so pretty in this arrangement. Flowers are the best accents when displaying food, at least I think so.

Screen Shot 2014-02-20 at 10.18.29 AM

oversize-me-BRIDGET-BODENHAM1

oversize-me-BRIDGET-BODENHAM89

oversize-me-BRIDGET-BODENHAM2

Screen Shot 2014-02-20 at 10.21.04 AM

Screen Shot 2014-02-20 at 10.21.13 AM

Screen Shot 2014-02-20 at 10.21.51 AM

Screen Shot 2014-02-20 at 10.21.31 AM

Screen Shot 2014-02-20 at 10.20.29 AM

Screen Shot 2014-02-20 at 10.20.39 AM

Screen Shot 2014-02-20 at 10.20.49 AM

Bridget occasionally hosts open studio days – if I lived in Victoria I would definitely go because it would be such a relaxing and inspiring visit, I’m sure. Ceramics make me feel so cozy – from the way they look and feel to their smell as wet clay is being formed – it immediately takes me back to school when we learned how to use a potter’s wheel in the 6th grade. I used to LOVE the smell of our school art room – the chalky paints and the clay together – and I still do. As far as Bridget’s work is concerned, I particularly like her use of metallics and this stunning chain link piece below is one I covet because I’d love to display it in my own home.

Bridget-details

bridget-flowers

After doing a bit of googling, I found that Lucy had the chance to visit her in 2011 and this interview was the result. Though it’s a few years old, it’s still a great read so please link over and check it out. There’s another great write-up about her on the Broadsheet website, too.

Are you a lover of ceramics like I am? I have an entire cabinet now dedicated to the ceramics that I collect and noticed a few weeks ago as I was unpacking them to place inside that most of my ceramics are white! Do you collect white ceramics too? Are you more into colors? Do you have a favorite ceramicist you’d like to share? Add their link below to the comments section so I can check them out and possibly pin to my Ceramics pinboard on Pinterest. I’d really appreciate it!

Hope you are all doing great! xo Holly

(images bridget bodenham, lucy feegin)

Posted by decor8 in ceramics on February 20, 2014

1. Carole Poirot commented
    February 20th, 2014 at 11:04am

The pieces are absolutely stunning, I love the natural look and feel they have and the touches of gold work so nicely. Her studio looks gorgeous, too. Shame that a ticket to Australia might be a little on the expensive side for a visit… xo

2. Lauren commented
    February 20th, 2014 at 12:35pm

Wow, they’re gorgeous – some really lovely pieces there.

x

3. Karen commented
    February 20th, 2014 at 1:21pm

Hi Holly, lovely post, I love all ceramics by Dutch ceramist Elke van den Berg, see http://www.elkevandenberg.nl x Karen

4. Sofia commented
    February 20th, 2014 at 3:01pm

Very nice pieces; I am bit of a decorator myself, right now I’m working on a living room and this style will most definitely be part of my project.

I also like making some pieces on my own; sometime mixing ikea pieces with self made parts; it gives it a quite unique look.

Thanks for sharing this beautiful handmade ceramics; I really like white ceramics too. it makes me think of a summer in some remote Greek island.

Keep up the lovely blog

5. Marianne commented
    February 20th, 2014 at 5:52pm

I have a weakness for pottery, both new and old. Two years ago I visited the town of Brunnen in Switzerland. Opposite of the hotel is the pottery of Anita Furrer. Even though I am not fond of black pottery, I think this is very beautiful.
    Marianne´s last blog post ..{some thoughts…}

6. Michelle commented
    February 20th, 2014 at 6:28pm

I love the cup and saucer ceramics by Bridget Bodenham – thank you for sharing – I’ve been stuck to her instagram account for about ten minutes now just scrolling through all of her pretty snapshots.

7. tehmna commented
    February 20th, 2014 at 6:29pm

I am a great fan of pottery specially hand made ones. . I love these cups and saucers, they have a personal touch awesome

8. Brandyn | Southern Distinctions commented
    February 20th, 2014 at 6:31pm

These are such beautifully organic pieces. Thanks for the introduction!
    Brandyn | Southern Distinctions´s last blog post ..A Hollywood Gem

9. Vittoria commented
    February 20th, 2014 at 8:49pm

I love it! wonderful!

10. Junalin @ Doula Training commented
    February 21st, 2014 at 12:59am

Wonderful photos! Pots, cups and bowls are totally great. You did so well. Thanks a lot for sharing this!
    Junalin @ Doula Training´s last blog post ..Is A Doula Right For Me?

11. Lisa @ Lisas Creative Designs commented
    February 21st, 2014 at 2:16am

Wow! Beautiful work and what a cool studio! Those are repurposed containers right? Cool! I love the blue and white swirl pieces.

12. L'Oliphant commented
    February 21st, 2014 at 12:25pm

beautiful!

13. Jessica commented
    February 21st, 2014 at 3:34pm

Loving the organic shapes of these pieces paired with glossy gold accents.
    Jessica´s last blog post ..A Restoration Hardware Inspired DIY Ottoman

14. Ines commented
    February 22nd, 2014 at 12:05am

Simply just lovely, I love the photos!

15. erika commented
    February 24th, 2014 at 2:35am

Isn’t it amazing what one can do with dirt! Ceramics has always been one of my loves…..I remember sitting at a potter’s wheel in college and just creating. Those were some of the best days. I just found this ceramicist who has some amazing work –

16. Olivia commented
    February 28th, 2014 at 6:42pm

an absolutely beautiful collection of pottery! Thank you very much for sharing
    Olivia´s last blog post ..Holiday gift guide