Blogger’s Favorites: Happy Mundane

Hello everyone! I hope that you are having a very nice Friday because who doesn’t love a good weekend, am I right? We will have sunny weather in the mid 60s tomorrow so I’m eager to get out with our little boy and go for some long strolls in the nearby forest. I LOVE being a mother, it’s the best thing ever and we’re definitely am savoring each and every moment. I’ve somehow been able to stay on top of my work which comes as a big surprise because I thought I would crumble beneath the load of it all – but my husband and I share parenting equally since we both work from home, so stuff is getting done either by him or me and it’s just wonderful. Our son is doing great, too. He has tummy aches here and there, which give him bad moments, but most of the days have been very good and he is on a great sleep schedule so we’re only getting up with him during the night every 3-4 hours. Usually midnight, 3 or 4 am and again around 6:30 am. Then he sleeps in the mornings for a few more hours as we eat breakfast, shower, etc. I like that he already has a bedtime routine – we made it a point to do this – so once it’s bedtime we talk softly, play relaxing music or put on our white noise app, dim the lights, whisper to him vs. use our daytime voice, and do other little things to prepare his brain for bedtime. It works like a charm and we are both sleeping and feel pretty good considering that neither of us sleep straight through 6-8 hours as we once did – but the interruption in the night is something we’ve gotten used to and it’s fine now. Eventually, he’ll be sleeping full nights but honestly we don’t care – he’s a newborn after all. These are special times.

Okay so that’s my personal life update. Now to tell you about a mini series I’m going to run on decor8 for the next month or so called Blogger Favorites. I’ve worked with my lovely assistant, Jessy Senti, to approach bloggers and see what they’re “into” lately. I’m always fascinated by what my peers love. Not everyone is only blogging, lots of them are designers and stylists, etc. who just-so-happen to have a blog. Either way, today I’m bringing you the first from my blogger batch, Jonathan Lo from Happy Mundane. I’ve known him since 2006 and have been following his blog ever since – he’s got amazing style and as an art director, he definitely is in on all of the hottest trends. Plus, he lives in southern California, how can he NOT know what’s trending?!

Name: Jonathan Lo

Blog name: Happy Mundane / Pinterest account: pinterest.com/happymundane / IG account: @happymundane

Five favorite things:

Unknown-7

1: Favorite look – Rooms that are modern, relaxed, bright, happy, and have a great eclectic mix with little pops of color.

Unknown-6

2. Favorite Trend - Muted Pastels

Unknown-5

3. Favorite object - This set of Terracotta “POTS” storage jars by menu & benjamin hubert

Unknown

4: Favorite object that you see everywhere at the moment - hexagon trays

Unknown-4

5. Favorite miscellaneous - I’m currently slightly obsessed with Prada’s Spring/Summer 2014 menswear collection.

Why do you like these five – what attracts you? I seem to usually gravitate towards things that are modern and graphic, but I also love things that are more organic. Also, I can’t resist a good vintage piece. I think the best results are when all of those things are combined or juxtaposed together.

What trends are you tired of? I think anything with a chevron pattern could take a rest for awhile!

What do you predict will be hot next? A rediscovery of post modern 1980s “Memphis” style

Thank you Jonathan! Our next edition of Blogger’s Favorites will appear early next week and I’ll spotlight Dutch blogger Danielle DeLange from The Style Files.

(images submitted for this piece by jonathan lo)

Posted by decor8 in blogs on March 07, 2014

1. Igor commented
    March 7th, 2014 at 12:49pm

Great idea for a new series! Love to learn more about some bloggers and what they like. Luckily enough I know Jon and I can confirm that he has impeccable taste! Happy weekend!!
    Igor´s last blog post ..New Outdoor Collection By Rowen & Wren

2. decor8 commented
    March 7th, 2014 at 1:40pm

@igor – hoping you will join us – jessy emailed you last week but hasn’t heard back but I’d love to have you as part of this series!

3. Zandra Zuraw commented
    March 7th, 2014 at 2:28pm

Love this idea for a series! So interesting to see things that are inspiring bloggers as they prepare their own content. I’ve loved Happy Mundane for awhile…perfect blogger to start with!
    Zandra Zuraw´s last blog post ..Quick Idea: Vintage Lace Collar

4. Emma commented
    March 7th, 2014 at 2:57pm

I like this series idea! Gives me great suggestions for new people to follow. I’m also really liking hexagonal trays–they had them recently in the $1 section at Target, which is a great place to go for fun stuff like that!
    Emma´s last blog post ..Check out our free lighting ebook

5. Jill Seidner | Interior Design commented
    March 7th, 2014 at 8:45pm

Great, feature! Curious to see about the reimergence of the “Memphis” style too!

6. jon commented
    March 7th, 2014 at 8:49pm

Thanks so much for having me Holly! and honored to be the first one! woo hoo! Hope you and all the decor8 readers have a great weekend!!
    jon´s last blog post ..Marimekko Spring 2014

7. Clever Girl Reviews commented
    March 7th, 2014 at 9:18pm

I love the evocative mood of the Prada ad!
    Clever Girl Reviews´s last blog post ..Perfumes For Special Circumstances

8. mel commented
    March 8th, 2014 at 7:14am

What a great idea for a series Holly! Jonathan I really enjoyed your answers and totally agree that things are best when they are combined or juxtaposed together. Mel
    mel´s last blog post ..Father Rabbit New Store | Fog Linen Showcase

9. The Daydreamer commented
    March 21st, 2014 at 10:15pm

Hi Holly,

Aside from the fact that the post is very interesting, I would like to thank you for mentioning the “white noise app” – I had never heard of it before and have discovered a new world. Our youngest (8 months old) is definitely not a good sleeper, so I am willing to try (almost) anything ;-) I’ll have a go at the app then… Keep your fingers crossed for me please! All the best from one mom to another,
    The Daydreamer
    The Daydreamer´s last blog post ..The Night Watch in action!