Paper Flowers & The Importance of Spreading Yourself Around

I just love Instagram because there are so many great people that I sorta re-find again and as a result of their photo stream, I suddenly pay attention for some reason. Like with Brittany Jepsen from the blog, The House That Lars Built… I’ve seen her work around blogland before but seeing her behind-the-scenes on IG made her come to life and suddenly I really pay attention to what she’s up to. Here are a few photos from her IG account and blog (@houselarsbuilt) if you’d like to follow her, too. Here are a few from her blog that I love spotlighting her recent trip to teach in southern California.

huge-blow-up-swan-for-pool
no-one-belongs-here-more-than-you
swag-bag

I really love flowers, so her paper flower garlands and workshops in general, that she teaches in the states, definitely caught my curious eye. And I love the DIYs that I just discovered on her beautiful blog, too. Here are more images from her gorgeous IG account.

bj1
bj5
bj4
bj2
bj3

Do you have any favorites on IG that you knew about before but following them on IG made you a believer, too? Isn’t it true how certain social media outlets really aren’t “one size firs all”? People who may love your blog may not connect the same through your IG photos, Facebook account or twitter… You know? That’s why I always tells bloggers to experiment and see what works and what people are responding to that you also love and feel you’re reaching others making a genuine connection. I think lots of bloggers make a common mistake – they measure their followers by how many BLOG readers appear on their site each day. That’s not such an accurate way to determine how many followers you truly have since lots of people may follow you on Instagram but never read your blog. So keep an open mind about that and don’t get down if you have 1,000 blog readers and 30,000 on Instagram and another 800 on Facebook and 500,000 on Pinterest – I mean, c’mon – you definitely have more than 1,000 people who dig your work, they are just coming in from different streams.

What do you think about spreading yourself around when it comes to social media?

p.s. Brittany you’re awesome!

(Images: Brittany Jepsen)

Posted by decor8 in blogs on March 07, 2014

1. Jaclyn Carlson commented
    March 7th, 2014 at 12:41pm

I LOVE her feed and yes totally agree social media opens up a while
    new side of blogging and sharing your story, I love it!

2. Thelma B commented
    March 7th, 2014 at 1:13pm

I think it’s terrific! Pinterst is still a favorite of mine, but I’m fast becoming an Instagram fan! Maybe I’m a little dense, but I find it hard to search for things I’d like.
    Thelma B´s last blog post ..Sweet Printable Party Collection, Lollipop Custom Birthday Party Invitation, Candy theme by ThelmaBs

3. marie commented
    March 7th, 2014 at 1:51pm

Reading this post made me think of Jordan from Ohhappyday. I have read her blog for quite a long time, and am not really loving the turn she has taken lately, with contributors and ads. I prefered when it was more personal. But I have discovered her Instagram and check it often because it is closer to what her blog used to be.
    And congratulations for your little one and for everything you manage to do while taking care of him :-)

4. Giulia commented
    March 7th, 2014 at 3:43pm

What I find interesting is that some bloggers I follow on IG but I’m less interested in their blog. Others I love their blog photography (especially food), but then I’m disappointed in their IG photo quality. Some bloggers are very removed from their blog and give me great tutorials and round-up, but on IG I can see glimpses of their personal life and that completes the picture for me.
    Very few master both equally well.
    Giulia´s last blog post ..Four Colour Checkerboard Birthday Cake

5. Kingsley Ryan commented
    March 7th, 2014 at 9:04pm

I agree with coal to diamond metaphor and vote GO AUTHENTICTY!

6. Kingsley Ryan commented
    March 7th, 2014 at 9:05pm

Go AUTHENTICTY!

7. Clever Girl Reviews commented
    March 7th, 2014 at 9:18pm

Paper flowers hold a special place in my heart!
    Clever Girl Reviews´s last blog post ..Perfumes For Special Circumstances

8. Sandra commented
    March 7th, 2014 at 9:25pm

I haven’t thought of it in these terms before – that someone I love on Instagram I’m more “meh” about on their blog or on twitter. But it’s so true!

I used to be a huge fan of twitter – I do adore the banter between friends. Now I’m all over Instagram. It’s the perfect mini-blogging platform for me. I get to see the behind-the-scenes of creatives (professionals and amateurs). I get to know new-to-me creatives through Instagram challenges that I host and also take part in.

Overall, I get inspired every day to do what I do better.

I love how you can’t “share” others’ images on Instagram – that makes it much more “pure” in terms of whose streams I am following.
    Sandra´s last blog post ..Travel to Hawaii – Food Trucks in Hana, Maui