Birth Announcements + Baby Update

Hello friends! Today Aidan is 6 weeks old so I thought I’d write a little post to tell you how it’s been with a new baby in our life. But first, would you like to see the letterpress birth announcements that I worked with Tara Hogan from Ink+Wit to design? I’m so proud of them! They’ll be sent to close friends and family and I plan to frame one for his bedroom, but for now I’ve posted one on the inspiration board in my office. It thrills me whenever I look at it since it brings me back to a most precious beginning and a beautiful day on Sunday, February 9, 2014. The day our little guy came into our life and things truly haven’t been the same – and never will be. Thank God.

announcementaidan

In addition to the announcements, I took a few photos of him this afternoon on his changing table to share with him for this little update post. I know, not the best place for a photo shoot (where we change his diapers!) but I had to take a few photos because the poor little guy HATES the changing table. I mean, he hates it. He screams the moment we put him on it, unless he is sleepy, then he’s really chill. That’s why I wanted to capture his chillin’ out on the changing table moment today since it’s so rare, I had to capture the sheer bliss of it all.

As  mentioned, today marks 6 weeks since he was born but it’s truly felt like 6 months because days are so much longer with an infant, there is so much more to live for, and there is SO MUCH TO LEARN and a lot of care and troubleshooting involved that keeps you on your toes initially, especially when you are first time parents and don’t have a CLUE or a mother living nearby to bail you out. My mom is in Boston and if she were living locally this would be so much easier. She’d be cooking, cleaning, rocking, singing, and loving her way into Aidan’s heart. She just be so ON this grandmother thing. Thankfully, she’s coming to spend a month with us this summer so that will be a real treat. And I must mention that aside from the whole newness of being first time parents, we had a kink along the way when Aidan lost 500 grams the first week and we had to really work hard to get him to regain the weight. Our midwife has been an angel and after 4 weeks of following her wisdom, he was back to his birth weight and now he’s above it by about 300 grams, so that’s wonderful.

Had he not had the weight loss issue, which then lead to him becoming extreme colic-y (we finally realized yesterday that he DOES NOT have colic but allergies), it may have been world’s easier during his first 6 weeks instead of being super fussy, crying on and off from morning until night with extreme bloat/gas pains in his stomach, etc. Some days have been nonstop D.R.A.M.A. around here, though I have a sense of humor and patience so I’m able to handle everything well though I can’t say I haven’t been dying for a glass (bottle!) of wine now and then but I’m breastfeeding and caring for him through the nights so I have to abstain so I can stay on my game (plus wine makes me super tired, I may be putting his diaper on his head or putting him down to sleep in the bathtub instead of his cot).  Humor aside, mothering him has come very naturally to me and I love it – nothing gets under my skin because the moment I start feeling irritated I tune out the cries and tap into the whole induction/hospital drama and how just having a healthy baby was all I wanted during those labor moments. The reality check keeps me positive.

I must also report that I take a shower each day! I am below my pre-pregnancy weight already! I wear makeup! I even curl my hair! Yes, really. And our house is neat and clean, laundry done, I’m grocery shopping, prepping meals, showering and getting properly dressed each morning, and this has been since day one. I’ve even rented a few movies on iTunes and keep up with pinning, blogging and work stuff. We also take the baby out 3 times a week currently for a few hours each time. We have friends over every few days since he was born – and I have been getting out now with friends to shop and eat so I feel like balance is returning to my life (I am someone who really needs my girl time). Looking at how we’re doing so far, I am proud to say that we’re actually doing really well as first time parents. BUT. The first 6 weeks of his little life have been hard because his symptoms were such a big mystery and I incorrectly self-(and internet) diagnosed colic, but he doesn’t have colic but as I said, allergies. Also since he is young, he never wants to leave our arms so I’m going to start wearing a baby sling this week so my hands can be free. Though I still cannot manage to not want to hold him every second because I really love it when he falls asleep on my shoulder as he does so many times each day. I snuggle him and kiss his soft cheeks and I melt and feel incredibly loved and completely, fully happy. If you are a parent, you must get this. It’s sublime.

On the flipside of the alleriges, there has been something positive to gain. I was telling my husband that had he not been so fussy, we may not be pouring over him so much, giving him 24/7 care… In fact, maybe if he did sleep all day or was extremely quiet like some babies are, we may just put him in his bouncy seat while we work, or handed him over to grandma to babysit, or perhaps we would have let him lay in his crib and play with his toes or something while I work, travel, teach, write… Perhaps we would have not spent so much time with him. Perhaps these 6 weeks would have flown by. But truth is, they haven’t – they’ve been the longest 6 months of my life and every moment (even the hard moments) have done something to my heart that words cannot explain. I keep telling everyone that having a child closed the circle for me – I’d always felt a gap that I tried to fill with everything else, but the baby has closed the gap and I finally feel the restlessness gone from my heart and head. I feel peace like never before and more creativity and joy than ever before. No kidding. Having Aidan forced me to reach DEEP into my soul, the very unselfish part, the INTERNET CAN WAIT and THE CAREER CAN WAIT part, and it’s made me love and value our son even more. Even those times when he’s a red-faced screaming pterodactyl. Yes, this little guy below definitely goes there. In fact, he can go from sweet to screaming in seconds as I scramble through the WHAT COULD BE WRONG list until I hit what it is, address it, then BOOM – silence. And this is what that looks like in photos. Golden moments indeed.

aidan8

aidan3

aidan2

aidanblog

aidanC

aidanmoodboard

So yes, today our little boy has turned 6 weeks and I’m more in love with him than I ever imagined and I can’t wait to learn more about him, address his needs and continue to care for him, and watch his continue to gain weight and grow into a beautiful little boy. So that’s my baby update. I’ll write more about him in about 6 weeks again in case of you would like these mini updates. :)

By the way, have you ever dealt with a baby who has allergies? Or colic-like symptoms? Or colic in general? How did you deal with it? What did you do to help your baby?

xo, Holly

(images: holly becker)

Posted by decor8 in real talk on March 23, 2014

1. jo commented
    March 23rd, 2014 at 7:42pm

Have you tried Infant Massage?, It is excellent for regulation of respiration, digestion and circulation, helps relaxation, sleep, calms the nervous system, lots of good beneficial effects for baby and you..

2. Chedva commented
    March 23rd, 2014 at 8:07pm

Happy 6 weeks, Aidan, Holly and Thorsten! My son was a little colic-y and we gave him something based on fennel seeds that the doctor recommended – I don’t think it helped much besides making us feel that we DID something to make it better. It pretty much disappeared when he became 3 months old… I know it seems like a lot of time now but it does go away at one point :)
    Chedva´s last blog post ..Learning Curve: Interior Designer Scott Talmon

3. C French commented
    March 23rd, 2014 at 8:09pm

Try swaddling his upper half when you change him. That often seems to calm them. He is a beautiful little guy.

4. Jacque commented
    March 23rd, 2014 at 8:16pm

What a precious little boy! Takes me back many, many years to when my children were babies. Now I have 14 grandchildren, so time speeds on so quickly. I love your announcements. Please keep posting pics of the little guy…I so miss babies!

5. Lynne commented
    March 23rd, 2014 at 8:16pm

Please keep up the Aidan updates -yes yes yes. I get joy just hearing about your joy Holly!

6. Libby commented
    March 23rd, 2014 at 8:16pm

Hi Holly:
    Just one quick comment re. the changing table. Why use the changing table if he gets so upset? We never had one, but changed my daughter on the single bed in her room always. We had some kind of Bjorn plastic coated, rolled edges, changing “pad”. Anyway, just a suggestion!
    Very very sweet images of an adorable young man!
    Libby´s last blog post ..FRIDAY FLOWERS: HERE AND THERE

7. Penny Patten-Bryant commented
    March 23rd, 2014 at 8:27pm

He is so very precious and there isn’t any thing more important than our children. They grow up so fast so it is wonderful to spend all the moments you can with them.
    Penny Patten-Bryant´s last blog post ..Blueberry Pie

8. sula362 commented
    March 23rd, 2014 at 8:35pm

so cute. What is he allergic to? My girls are both coeliac, as I am too. The first was very unsettled as well, maybe that was due to the coeliac reaction, as I was not following the diet myself at that time. I assume that whatever your baby is allergic to, is coming through the breast milk. You are doing amazingly though. I had no routine at all with my first born, and cleaning was also a real challenge sometimes. Even just getting out of the door could take hours!
    sula362´s last blog post ..planning an apartment

9. Jenni commented
    March 23rd, 2014 at 8:53pm

I just love reading your posts, they remind me of what a spectacular gift it is to have children. My son was very grouchy as a baby and it was so tough but so worth it, especially after a difficult labour. It sounds like you are doing brilliantly, especially to suppress those urges to work. Big love to you and your family. x
    Jenni´s last blog post ..Baby and Toddler Show Tickets Giveaway

10. Karla commented
    March 23rd, 2014 at 9:09pm

Hi Holly!

Wow, your doing a great job! Getting dressed and ready for your day might rub off on me. Life can be so different when having a new baby but when one like you truly got ready, it makes a whole lot of difference. Colic is one thing that I truly can relate too as my first daughter had me pulling my hair out for months. I also breastfed and found that gluten and dairy was the problem in my diet that gave my daughter the hurting tummy. I had to rule out so many things so that’s why it went on so long. Once I figured it out, my world changed and so did hers. We did have some drops but that only helped for a very short period of time. Of course, I did not have the internet to search so it was hard to find answers at the time….

I smile when I see your update posts and I happy to hear your dealing with all that your new life has given you. Being a parent really does take a team of two so keep your team strong and don’t forget to hug each other when those tough moments get rough.

One more note, my daughter now is 30 with her own little man and she too wanted a bit of wine. She purchased a box of these strips to test her milk before she had wine. She only had a trace show up with one glass and after her second glass (6 oz) she pumped twice after with no trace. She pumped twice after her second glass to make sure for her own comfort…. She was able to nurse in the early morning without worry. During that wine time she bottle fed and found a formula that was lactose free & natural. It turned out that when she ate dairy, her baby was more fussy, so by partaking in a bit of wine, she also answered those fussy issues with bottle feeding a formula that made everyone happy.

I’d love to see an image of the three of you together before your little man gets bigger…..

Enjoy your day,
    ~Regards,
    Karla

11. Silkie commented
    March 23rd, 2014 at 9:13pm

Something I did for both my boys when they were a few weeks old was to visit a cranial osteopath ..do you know about this?.After delivery, particularly a long or difficult labour it can really help them with colicky crying & to settle better . It’s really worthwhile looking into I think.. although I haven’t a clue what it would be called in German! Also it’s a rather lovely treatment for a new mum too!

12. MamaKiss commented
    March 23rd, 2014 at 9:24pm

Hi Holly,

first of all, yes I think your baby updates very nice on your blog. And it is so wunderful to read how you enjoy being mother.
    For me it was the same with my first daughter. She also had colics and was screaming a lot esp. during night. It was all good all time through but I remember one night, mostly up, where I just couldn’t do it in the morning. So I gave her to my husband who slept almost through to take her a while, but the second she I gave her to him I missed her and thought that she is just a little baby in pain and that I have to stand it :-D We found out that she couldn’t deal with milk, so I ate completly lactose-free and this took the pain out. Until the age of 1 1/4 she couldn’t drink or eat something with lactose inside but then she wanted to taste first time milk from the jar of dad and thats it. Since then everything was fine and her body could deal with that. Our pediatrist told us that it could go away around the age 1 but still I was totally surprised.
    So what allergies could Aidan have? Do you already know or guess something special?
    Wish you wonderful days with your two men!
    Conni

13. Katherine commented
    March 23rd, 2014 at 9:36pm

We thought our little boy had colic but it was reflux, poor thing. Fortunately infant Gavisvon sorted it but it’s so horrid to see them in pain, the way they look at you wanting you to sort it out. Our little boy seemed to be quite unsettled for a while and we used to tag team carrying him around. It was hard work BUT totally paid off as he’s a very happy, secure little boy (almost 2). New babies just prefer to be held and to be close to you and it’s hard to appreciate what this is like until you have one.

Aidan is absolutely gorgeous, glad to read you are starting to find time to do things as well, it’s not easy. Keep at it, it truly does get easier as they get older, but I must admit I miss those newborn snuggles, enjoy!
    Katherine´s last blog post ..12/52

14. Tracy A. commented
    March 23rd, 2014 at 9:50pm

First of all, lovely pictures! What a sweetheart! That’s how I dealt with my son’s colic, remembering that he was a sweetheart! I’m sure that the conventional wisdom is different than it was 26 years ago. We really just had to tough it out, and eventually it did pass. I feel your pain though – no sleep and constantly trying to sooth a crying baby is downright hard. I hope to never be that kind of tired again. Good luck and hang in there – he is a sweetheart!
    Tracy A.´s last blog post ..“Imagination is everything. It is the preview of life’s coming attractions.” ~ Albert Einstein

15. sue commented
    March 23rd, 2014 at 9:53pm

HI Holly… My first two children, boys, had colic – or symptoms of colic. I rolled w/ it… and I was breastfeeding… it was challenging for me, as I was the only one in my family or my husband’s family who breastfed! :) To be honest, my boys seemed to just “grow out of it”. However, a few years ago while I was visiting my chiropractor, I had a change of thought. My chiropractor had taken an x-ray of my spine because I was having issues with neck pain. He then asked me to tell him about my deliveries with my children. I told him that I labored for 48 hours with my first two children and he said he could tell a lot about my labors by my pelvis x-rays. Interesting! It made me wonder if the amount of time my boys were in or near the birth canal contributed to their “colic” symptoms weeks after they were born. I had a friend who took her baby to a chiropractor when he was an infant and at the time I didn’t understand why in the world a baby would need a chiropractor. Now my boys are 16 and 17 years old! I don’t have any real answers Holly, but I just wanted to share my story. My labors were long and I ended up having c-sections. My third child was a planned c-section and this child had no “colic” like symptoms at all!
    (My middle son earned the nickname “Kick a hole in the sky” from my father-in-law because of his daily crying sessions during the supper time hour. :)

16. merilyn commented
    March 23rd, 2014 at 10:17pm

hi holly, love the design and colours on those cards … just gorgeous!
    you have a beautiful baby and he looks sooo contented there, however looks can be deceiving!
    I also had a baby with colic albeit fort one years ago … still remember though!
    very distressing for them and you! do some reiki on his tummy.
    a doctor told me to bounce my baby up and down after burping time
    hold his little head ofcourse this is like jumping for them and it produced good results.
    yoga is good practice for mother and baby too. hope to be helpful … love from old enough to be your mother … cheers m:)X

17. Maria commented
    March 23rd, 2014 at 10:17pm

Hello Holly,
    My son is four months old and we just found out he is allergic/sensitive to dairy and soy (possibly more). He had really bad gas, hiccups, and reflux since birth but it wasn’t until he developed ezcema and increased fussing that we realized something was wrong. I cut out all dairy and soy about a week ago and we have seen huge improvements!! It can be very challenging but rewarding none the less. Congratulations on your beautiful son and I hope he starts feeling better soon!

18. Claire Carpenter commented
    March 23rd, 2014 at 10:24pm

I had a baby boy who had chronic colic and it was awful, coupled with lack of sleep and being new parents made it harder I am sure. We went to see a cranial osteopath and it was the best thing we did really improved the colic and we have remained using her for all the family. My son who is now 12 still goes for an annual check to clear any coughs or colds and he is a very healthy young man. Would truly recommend it.
    Kind regards,
    Claire

19. AmyeToTheRescue! commented
    March 23rd, 2014 at 10:53pm

He is absolutely gorgeous!!! Your announcement is wonderful.
    My stepdaughter has a fantastic blog called http://mom-101.com/ and 2 amazing websites http://coolmompicks.com/ and http://coolmomtech.com/ you may enjoy. You might already know her-Liz Gumbinner. Anyway, congratulations, best of luck to you and enjoy every moment!
    AmyeToTheRescue!´s last blog post ..MY FAVORITE FILING CABINET FILING SYSTEM

20. Melissa commented
    March 23rd, 2014 at 10:57pm

What were the allergies and how did you figure that out?

21. Cheryl commented
    March 23rd, 2014 at 10:57pm

Hi Holly,

I can totally sympathise with you regarding the colic/allergy symptoms. Our little boy, Reed Josef who is now 11 months old, was breastfed for 8 months but I found it hard going after around four (he fed every 3 hours without fail until he was weaned!) so to take the strain off me we decided to try and introduce formula for a couple of feeds per day so his dad could help out with night feeds. We endured 6 weeks of him rejecting the bottle and being so unsettled and grouchy that it ended with me and my poor baby in tears most days, to the point where I gave up even trying as it just wasn’t worth seeing him so upset. We presumed he just a) didn’t like the bottle (and we tried many different brands!) and b) was a colic-y baby and not a good sleeper.
    After a very happy couple of months of breastfeeding and weaning I slowly started introducing cows milk on the advice of the doctor and that’s when it all became clear that he had a intolerance to cows milk. He was then put on a hydrolysed formula (my breastmilk had started to produce less as I was feeding less and just wasn’t enough for him) and everything clicked into place – he was happy, gaining weight and drinking happily from a bottle, and I was able to get some rest, get out more and let his Dad finally help out more with the feeds.
    If I could give you any advice it would be to go with your gut instinct, I knew that something wasn’t right and said to my partner months before he was diagnosed I thought he had some type of allergy which is why I stopped trying and took him to the doctors immediately when I tried introducing it again.

Your baby looks absolutely adorable and I’m sure you are overwhelmed in an amazing way by the rollacoaster ride that is being a parent. Each day brings something different and something that makes you feel happy in ways you didn’t know you could!

All the best to you all x
    P.S I’m in love with your blog and books, Decor8 was a lifesaver for me when doing those night feeds, and needing something to help keep me awake so I didn’t fall asleep with a feeding baby in my arms!!

22. Di commented
    March 24th, 2014 at 12:05am

Hi Holly

My daughter’s baby. Josie, also had allergies. She had very green mucosy poo. Diagnosed as gluten, dairy, soy intolerant.

AS she was (still i s) breastfeeding, the solution was for her to go gluten, dairy, soy free. It has worked perfectly. Upsides: Brooke has lost weight (not too much but bhack to perfect!!), she and her husband eat very healthily, it has made her be more creative in her cooking and choices of eating, and baby Josie is better!!

Pediatrician recommended 12 months of this diet, especially as she is still breastfeeding. Josie will be 1 in April.

So perhaps this is a solution for you.

All the best, Aiden is gorgeous.

Di
    Beachtropic (I follow you on Instagram).

23. Leanne commented
    March 24th, 2014 at 12:20am

Hiya,
    So cute! I now have a 19 month old and can barley remember those days, seems such a long time ago. Most days now are spent running around after my toddler and trying to think up things to do with him that involve less of my running around and more of us sitting!
    Our baby had quite noisy breathing, no other symptoms – which didn’t seem normal to me but my doctor told me it was the norm for new babies to sound different. Being my first I didn’t have a clue but I went back again as I still didn’t feel it was right – then were transferred to a pediatrician and told he had a floppy larynx – and just last year it changed to him possibly having allergies/asthma and not a floppy larynx at all. We have a nasal spray which does seemed to have helped, we could have had allergy tests but as the only problem for us, is the noisy breathing which happens now just occasionally and doesn’t seem to be a problem for our boy, we are just going to see how it goes with age but continue with the nasal spray. I just try to keep everything dust (ish)! free in the house.

I really would say DO NOT look on the internet to self diagnosis! I found the internet made things so much more stressful! See what your doctor suggests and take it from there. Good luck, try not to let it stress you out too much and just enjoy your new baby xx

24. se7en commented
    March 24th, 2014 at 12:24am

Oh he is beautiful, and I love your delight in your little one. It sounds like you are walking the same road that we walked with our firstborn… nothing was easy and nursing was a nightmare, he was never comfortable and always miserable, but I knew it was the best option. Our mid-wife declared it was because he had lost weight at birth and “he would never be able to catch up” – I later learned that all babies lose weight (up to about 10% of their birth weight is completely normal). It turns out that our baby, like yours had allergies, and as soon as we addressed those life for all of us improved dramatically!!! It sounds like despite your allergies that you are doing incredibly… well done to you and congratulations on such an adorable babe!!!
    se7en´s last blog post ..Se7en’s Fabulous Friday Fun #215 And a Lesley Pearce GiveAway…

25. Sandra commented
    March 24th, 2014 at 12:42am

Big congrats Holly!
    I was just as “lucky” :-) as you to have an infant that needed 24hrs TLC in my arms. Except that mine was due to colic, not allergy, so it came with minimum 4 hours of routine crying daily.
    As frustrated as I was during that few torturing hours, it’s clueless episodes like these that turned me closer to my babies, as I slowly learned a few new tricks to sooth them. Like, a favorite carrying positio, or a soothing lullaby than calms (even for an impossibly short minute), and I even discovered my infant girl’s favorite spot in the house, is where a low humming sound from the my old vibrating air-con condenser could be heard.
    Before I knew it, the colic phase was over. And now that my babies have turned into young girls, I always tell my friends with infants, enjoy this moment, they grow up really fast!
    Sandra´s last blog post ..Junko Deco Roll Attempt #001

26. Kristen commented
    March 24th, 2014 at 1:00am

Oh yes! Colic is just unexplained crying to me. My son wouldn’t sleep, had horrible diaper rash no matter what we did, mucousy poos. After 2 months I figured out it was the dairy in my diet (Thank you internet) so I cut it completely out. He was like a completely different baby, he slept more and never once had a diaper rash again. It was the milk protein not the lactose itself. Did a lot of Asian cooking until I got rid of the cheese cravings. I seriously went through withdrawals for about a month. We use a lot of olive oil and coconut oil and I eat so much healthier now. Except Oreos! They are diary free. Anytime I accidentally had dairy he would cry all night. There are several studies that link chronic ear infections to undiagnosed dairy allergies. I think cows milk is way over pushed in America. My son is now two and still doesn’t do dairy. We don’t bother with fake cheese or fake milk – we focus on healthy foods.

27. Kristen commented
    March 24th, 2014 at 1:05am

Also our doctor had us try dairy at one year and it made my son have food aversions due to his stomach hurting and it made him really regress food wise. He started refusing all foods completely. Dairy takes so long to get out of a person’s system and it was a big mess. I honestly don’t recommend reintroducing allergens until they are much older like 3 when they can actually verbally TELL you how they are feeling after reintroducing.

28. Mel commented
    March 24th, 2014 at 1:40am

Our youngest did not sleep as a newborn; no naps during the day; and just a couple of hours at night. He cried A LOT. The pediatrician said sometimes babies are needier. I decided that I had to do something, so went on an elimination diet. I discovered when he was 6 weeks old that my dairy intake caused him distress, and any bit of caffeine was keeping him up. Once I eliminated those two items from my menu, he was like a new baby. I wore him in a sling until he was three. (He would bring it to me when he needed to be snuggled.) Enjoy this time. It goes by quickly.

29. Lexi commented
    March 24th, 2014 at 2:19am

Congratulations, Holly! He is ADORABLE! I am so happy to hear how much you are savoring these early moments, easy and hard!

As a mom of three boys, I had many of the same challenges. I hope this doesn’t get too long in the tooth… I thought my first, Kieran, had colic, but in retrospect, I think he had sensitivities to something I was eating or even just plain energetic. It was sooo challenging, I would have a friend come over once a week (no family nearby) to hold him (since he would cry constantly at the end of the day if he wasn’t held) from about 6:00 until the next feeding so I could get some shut eye. I would nurse him for an hour, then he would need to nurse again an hour after that. Literally DRAINING! I was exhausted and I remember thinking, “Why does anyone ever have more than one child??” Don’t get me wrong, I loved him to death. But it all passed by 12 weeks when I had to go back to work. At 7 months, I also had him cry it out when I put him to bed and it took just two nights. So it eventually does get better!

With my next child, Otto, I didn’t mess around and decided to avoid cow’s milk, since a friend had had success with that. I was so enamored with him knowing how fleeting the newborn stage was, I didn’t mind waking up in the middle of the night to nurse him every 2-3 hours. He co-slept with me until 4 months at which time he slept through the night the very first time I put him in his crib and every night after that. I thought it was the milk free diet I was on that helped so much, but now I think maybe it didn’t matter.

That is, until baby #3, Fritz, came along. He had what I would call severe reflux. Staying off cow’s milk did not help and he was on medication but would still spit up so profusely, (tmi??) that I would have to change my shirt in the middle of the night. I would then also have to hold him all night. (I still savored every moment knowing how fast everything goes and that he was my last). I know he had some terrible gas pains, too, because he would squirm and cry and I tried to wear him as much as possible. He also slept in his carseat next to me for 6 months. Maybe not the best idea, but it helped.

He is now almost 3 (I can’t believe it) and has been fine drinking cow’s milk for about 9 months. In retrospect, I think Kieran (#1) may just have had high energy. I know it sounds crazy, but he is a VERY active kid. And Otto (#2) loves his sleep and often can’t make it until bedtime. Fritz seems somewhere in between, but was the only one with the reflux problems. I didn’t do much more elimination dieting while nursing him, but there must have been SOMETHING that was giving him trouble.

If he has an allergy, you can have his doctor test for blood in his stool. If I remember correctly, that is an indicator of a true allergy. But, I am no doctor.

Anyway, I don’t know if ANY of that will make any sense or help you at all. Just know that many many mothers are in the same spot you are in and you will get through it. Maybe with one eye open, but you will. And it sounds like you are doing a MUCH better job handling it than I did. (My house was a terrible mess, but I did try to shower every day).

P.S., the changing table has been my favorite spot to snap quick photos. The window right near it always casts the most beautiful light!

30. Clarissa commented
    March 24th, 2014 at 2:54am

Little Aidan, such an adorable baby! My baby boy had colics on his first three months. He cried everyday, twice a day, each time for about 15 minutes. The same way the crying started, it simply disappeared. Maybe it’s too soon to diagnose allergies. Maybe Aidan has gastric reflux, or colics indeed… Almost every baby has colics. And it’s like magic: on month 3, it disappears!

31. Laura commented
    March 24th, 2014 at 2:56am

Congrats on your little one!!! He is a doll. My little guy (who is now 3!! Hard to believe…) was very colicky. We tried EVERYTHING but what we found really worked was the colic cradle hold, as shown to us by a pediatric nurse. Basically you invert the baby (so baby’s belly is parallel with the floor) put one hand on his chest and the other in between his legs reaching up and massaging his tummy. Works like a charm but seriously limits your ability to move around and do things. That’s why I came up with the concept of Colic Cradler (see my site). Still in the prototyping phase but would love to make it a reality! I remember those wild, crazy first days with such fondness. Enjoy every moment!
    Laura´s last blog post ..Colic Cradler

32. Liz commented
    March 24th, 2014 at 5:19am

He is truly gorgeous Holly and I’m so glad everything is going so well for you despite the challenges! My second baby had a milk protein intolerance (and it seemed soy too). I noticed that she would gag and cough up breastmilk from the first days in the hospital, but the crying didn’t begin till a few weeks in…and then it was screaming episodes where nothing, I mean nothing, could calm her. She just didn’t seem to have a colicky personality that I read about, though…she seemed like she was a very calm, relaxed baby except that something was really really bothering her a lot of the time. It went on like that for some weeks. My husband was about to lose his mind though I felt like you, still really enjoying her and keeping things in perspective, but also wishing I could figure out what was going on. Finally our pediatrician was able to observe one of her episodes where she was screaming, scrunching her body, and crawling up my body as I held her, and diagnosed reflux. She advised me to cut out the most common allergens/irritants- cow’s milk, soy, and all caffeine, and prescribed zantac. The zantac made an immediate difference, but the true solution was removing cow’s milk (which made sense, since it’s always bothered me too). Within about a week of the dietary changes, she was a new baby- no more crazy diapers, no more spitting up, no more screaming and crying for hours on end! After a few weeks I tested caffeine with no problems. Soy I had to leave out for a long time, maybe 9 months, and cow’s milk till about one year. After that she was able to tolerate it in breastmilk and once I knew that was okay I introduced it into her diet in the form of yogurt and cheese. She still does not drink or like cows milk but can eat some small amounts without any problems. I hope that Aidan outgrows his allergies too!
    Liz´s last blog post ..Mom Uniform: Joules Spring Picks

33. Patty commented
    March 24th, 2014 at 5:26am

Your little guy is so adorable. I completely agree with you about wanting to be there to take care of his needs. I feel the same way about my 3 week old son. Cheers to you!

34. Effie commented
    March 24th, 2014 at 6:10am

He’s adorable!!! I’m so glad you wrote this post, especially the part where you say you have been able to find some balance in your life and still being able to have some girl time. I don’t have a baby yet but my husband and I want children. However, this fear of losing my identity and the time for my self and the things I love is holding me back. Thanks for the post. It’s very encouraging..
    Effie´s last blog post ..Spring it on!

35. Trina commented
    March 24th, 2014 at 8:28am

Hi Holly, you are doing a fabulous job so keep going. I’ll be honest, ditch the table if he doesn’t like it, why bother.? I’ve always changed on the floor – then they can have a little kick around, might help with his wind too.
    I don’t see why little man would have allergies – the colon is a vital organ, stick to your milk and don’t drink alcohol it’s killing your bacteria as sugar forms. Our son was struggling at 2 with everything, speach, socialising etc. they came back with the dreaded word Autistic. Fortunately we didn’t listen, did our own research into colon function. Drove 40 miles each week and bought gallons of Guernsey cow milk, the farmer piped it straight into bottles for us from the cows udder. Raw unpasteurised milk, within 5 weeks of no bread, sugar he was chatting so much we cryed. The best thing you can do is stay off sugar and eat everything you can which maintains good bacteria in your gut – in turn your little man will be able to digest better too. You won’t get raw milk as it’s illegal to sell in most places since all pasteurisation is government controlled but Greek yogurt is excellent with no sugar. Good luck and see if cutting your sugar helps. !!

36. Gertrud commented
    March 24th, 2014 at 8:35am

Welcome in your life being parents – lovely card, gorgeous little boy! Congratulation!

I would love to send you all my learning I made having 4 kids now, but I still remember my “first time mum” time – it was like a beton wall stopping me driving 220km/h on the high way and there was no experience what to do and what to feel.

If you can: try to relax, don’t look at any curves, weight, #heshouldbedoingbynowlist etc – he is fine, he will grow – just trust him that all will be ok, even if he only wants to be carried and cries like hell (I was so bad in it as I wanted control and being sure…).

Colics are very commune, especially with boys – it goes away but feels like ages and the crying part is so hard – all of my kids got it and I could do nothing about it (even only eating millet for weeks didnt help and I suppose me having hyperemesis gravida when pregnant caused my kids always had troubles getting their stomach energy up and running – at least thats the TCM answer to it).

Hope he likes the sling and not just mummies shoulder and arms holding him – all the best for beckers’-baby-land-time. Take care

37. Penny commented
    March 24th, 2014 at 9:18am

Congratulations! Your son is solo cute! Concerning the symptoms: my daughter cried non-stop for the first 4 months. I couldn’t believe it! I was sure there had to be something wrong. I changed pediatricians, but nobody could find something. They just told me to wait. I refused to accept this, I thought there had to be something I could do! I tried everything, teas, globules, massage, oil, osteopaths….she just kept on crying. It really looked as if she had cramps. She wanted to be fed ALL THE TIME and she wanted to be held ALL THE TIME and she wouldn’t accept a sling. It was hard, because she hardly ever slept. But would you believe it? After 4 months, the caring stopped. She had adjusted to the world. I was so sure there was a medical problem, but there just wasn’t. She just needed time. Good luck, all the best for you and I admire your calm!
    Love
    Penny

38. Larissa commented
    March 24th, 2014 at 10:38am

Hi Holly,

Congratulations for getting through the first 6 weeks, sounds like you are doing an amazing job and caring for yourself too very important !!.
    My second little guy had bad reflux which was really really hard.
    He was the worst between about 6pm and 1am I could not get him down to sleep at all and if I did he would wake again.
    The only way I could help him was to keep him close hold him tight and pat him until he settled. Which he always eventually did. I look back now and I can’t see how I coped & how hard it was as I also had my 2 year old son to care for.
    I think it was the dairy in my breast milk, he did not take well to dairy until around 14 mnths. He was not bad enough for the medication so I just got on with it and coped as best I could. The positive is because we spent so much cuddle time we do have a very close bond that’s very special to me and I always knew he was asking for help, he was & is a little ray of sunshine now being a big four years old.
    Aidan will get there he is so gorgeous,. an idea for the change table is hanging a mobile above it ? If there is not one ? But most likely it’s the reflux/ colic rising up and hurting him as he is laying flat. Try using some of the natural remedies for upset tummies that may help and the osteopath suggestion is also worth a try. Another idea is a fab book called the wonder weeks it takes you through a baby’s development from birth & highlights any weeks where from research a baby may become unsettled due to developmental stages / reasons I used it for all 3 of my children.
    All the best Holly , you will be in my thoughts ,
    Larissa xxx

39. Eva commented
    March 24th, 2014 at 11:02am

Hi,

I love your blog and your passion for interior!
    Your birth story was so lovely – very empowering!

I have a 10 month old girl and her birth was not straight forward either – she spun around from normal position to back to back and got stuck so they had to help her out. During the ordeal, her head ended up a bit bruised and I can only imagine she would have had a headache for a good few weeks. She too was very unsettled and we ended up dealing with refux and colic. We are first time parents and found ourselves completely clueless all the time to start with. The only think I had to go by was my instinct. We spent days on the internet looking for suggestions, tried numerous medicines and listened to our family telling me to stop (!) breastfeeding and give her formula. In the end we found couple of things that worked miracles:
    1. Swaddling: it’s definitely worth trying but you will have to find a technique that works for you. My husband swaddled our girl very tight but you have to be confident you are doing everything right. Here is a video with some tips http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLqfRQdUP7k . We swaddled her at night from 2 weeks until 5 months and she slept at night for up to 12hr.
    2. White noise for babies: An ultrasound noise of heartbeat – this is very good to calm them. Worked for us every time and through the night.
    3. ColicCalm: I loved this stuff! It is all natural and sorts out any digestion discomfort a baby might have.

We did go and see an osteopath (not cranial but general one that specializes in babies), though it is difficult to tell if they helped or she eventually got better as she grew.

With breastfeeding I found that many things I ate affected either her reflux or colic. I started by cutting out almost everything from my diet and eventually found what I can eat so she is comfortable.

Whatever happens stick with breastfeeding – it’s the best feeling in the world! Before they get their first teeth it’s heavenly :-) It’s also recommended that allergic babies are breastfeed until they are 1, so this is what I am doing as my girl has eczema too (so far very mild).

Best wishes
    Eva

40. zhi / curiouszhi commented
    March 24th, 2014 at 11:11am

Dear Holly, I’ve just read your birth story (a little late, but better late than never! :)) and it almost made me cry. I don’t have any children so I can’t offer any sage advice besides wishing you and Thorsten all the best. Aidan is a beautiful boy. Love the birth announcements – such a sweet design.
    zhi / curiouszhi´s last blog post ..Covet : Delicate Gold Jewellery

41. Ana commented
    March 24th, 2014 at 11:35am

Congratulations to you 3! Thank you for sharing these personal thoughts and moments with us, Holly. I hope you have a sweet and wonderful life with your precious one. He’s adorable.
    Ana´s last blog post ..Moodboard 1405

42. LauraElizabeth commented
    March 24th, 2014 at 12:24pm

He is beautiful. Love your blog! Xx

43. Patrice commented
    March 24th, 2014 at 1:02pm

Hey Holly, such a lovely little boy, so sweet. Congratulations on getting so much done during the day. My little Max is just gone a month old, l manage getting dressed every day and doing my hair, no makeup though and my amazing partner has taken charge of the household and cooking. Max was 3 weeks early and very small, 2670g. He dropped under the allowed 10% in the first week, so we’ve been weight watching like crazy. He’s 3200g now and the midwife and pediatrician are delighted as are we of course.
    I hope Aidan enjoys the sling, Max loves it and I get so much done. It’s fantastic.
    Max’s “bad time” is from 8pm until about 11pm, I’m still trying to figure out what it is. I don’t think its colic and I don’t eat lactose (I’m lactose intolerant), maybe he’s just processing his day. Still testing with massages, oils and herbs, we’ll get there. I can’t get over how full my heart is with love for him. I’m enjoying every minute of motherhood so far. I’m so happy for you that you are too.

44. Bonnie commented
    March 24th, 2014 at 1:59pm

Ohhh, he is gorgeous and I simply love how his little outfit matches your birth announcement. Such attention to detail ;0). It sounds like you have taken to motherhood as ducks take to water. He is a very lucky boy. Hope the allergies do not cause too much trouble.

45. Tina@Traveling Mama commented
    March 24th, 2014 at 2:09pm

Happy 6 weeks! He is just so gorgeous! My first two were fairly “easy” babies, but my third was a whirlwind. We had to suddenly leave Morocco in the effort to find a second opinion on what our doctor said could be a life threatening situation for him in utero, so when he arrived safely and healthily in our arms, we were so relieved. He displayed colic-like symptoms, and much like you guys, we just didn’t care. Each child is so different that whether it’s your first or tenth, there is always something to learn. At least that is how it has been for us with our three. It can be demanding at times, but there is nothing in this world better than being a mom!
    Tina@Traveling Mama´s last blog post ..Copenhagen Botanical Gardens

46. Ellen Moore commented
    March 24th, 2014 at 2:15pm

Babies are wonderful, aren’t they? It warms my heart to read how much time you spend with your tiny boy and how much you love him. The pictures are so lovely, I am sure they will make everyone feel like they need just one more baby to love!

Our older son was allergic to eggs, but I was able to find recipes which had no eggs in it. His younger brother was allergic to milk, and he was put on a meat formula, as he was just a few months old. He loved it, but I didn’t care for the aroma and turned away when feeding him cereal mixed with the meat! Allergies are handled by changing how you live, sometimes not a big deal, other times it is a huge change. The biggest problem we had was when the boys were a bit older. I had to read labels carefully, but that becomes a habit. When we made homemade french toast, we dipped one boy’s bread in egg with no milk, the other in milk with no egg, and our daughter’s in the normal mix of egg and milk. As the boys grew, they recognized that their french toast didn’t look as nice as their sister’s, and they were very upset, to say the least. The milk allergy caused bronchitis and the egg allergy caused excema. Feeding them the proper foods was a lot easier than dealing with the consequences.

Best wishes for many many joyous times for your family!

Ellen Moore

47. Kylee commented
    March 24th, 2014 at 2:52pm

Hi Holly, he is just so beautiful! What a little angel!
    First, I wanted to say thanks for the honesty in your post. Too often people only show wonderful newborn pictures and never say how difficult life with a newborn can be :)
    Second, I have eight month old twins and I will never forget those first six weeks. One baby was inconsolable every evening like clockwork, 5 till midnight. All I could do was swaddle him, jiggle him, and walk with him for that whole time. Oh my lord was it hard. I could not have managed without my husband and mother to help out with both holding him and helping take care of his twin sister. Anyway, what I wanted to say is there is a book, Happiest Baby on the Block by Harvey Karp. I’m not big into parenting manuals but there is some great advice in there, the best of which was that most babies grow out of this ‘colic’ by six weeks gestational age. Was I ever counting the weeks (hours!) down. And thank god he was right. Not long after six weeks the evening crying just stopped. And he turned into the sunniest loveliest baby boy. I’m incredibly blessed to have them both.
    And lastly, good for you for taking such good care of yourself – it’s so important for our self esteem as Mamas I think!

48. Kristin commented
    March 24th, 2014 at 3:15pm

My sister-in-law had a little baby boy in July, and he was diagnosed with allergic colitis. It has been a roller coaster for her as she is a registered dietician and really wanted to keep breast feeding him. She just started a very basic blog to document her experience with it if you want to check it out. She was at her wits end till and was sure it was colic till he was diagnosed.

Good luck with everything! I found that getting to shower every day and do my hair was all that kept me feeling like myself in the beginning when my son was born. It was a great habit that I kept up and now he is almost 2!

49. Shari commented
    March 24th, 2014 at 3:36pm

I don’t know how you do it, Holly. My first few months, I didn’t always get to shower or remember to brush my teeth in the morning! I got dishes done, and laundry… we are using cloth diapers, so I had to stay on that, but if my hair got brushed or done, I felt like I’d REALLY accomplished something. You sound like a Super Mom!! Way to go!!

I love your announcements and I love the photos of your son. He’s just beautiful! xox
    Shari´s last blog post ..Book Review: Jamie’s Food Revolution

50. decor8 commented
    March 24th, 2014 at 4:16pm

@Kylee – Love that book and have it! :)

51. bora commented
    March 24th, 2014 at 4:53pm

A book that helped me early on with my son’s constant screaming (due to reflux and personality) was “The Wonder Weeks” – my son seemed to follow those fairly closely, at least until about a year old or so.

52. tina commented
    March 24th, 2014 at 5:05pm

my younger son had food allergies when he was a newborn, that expressed itself as eczema. So the dairy milk that I was drinking, the peanut butter, and oranges that I was eating would make him miserable. It took time to figure this out, especially since my first born didn’t have any of these issues, and around that time food allergies weren’t quite as in-the-news as they are now. I would have to swaddle him securely so he wouldn’t scratch so much – I felt so badly for him! But slowly as he grew, the allergies subsided, except for his nut allergy, which could last his lifetime…..

53. karen robinson commented
    March 24th, 2014 at 5:36pm

Wow Holly,
    He is just absolutely beautiful. k

54. Tara Hogan commented
    March 24th, 2014 at 6:15pm

Thank you for the love Holly!
    (baby massage for collic)

55. Lindsey Bonnice commented
    March 24th, 2014 at 6:58pm

Holly, I am so happy for your whole family! The addition of a child is truly an amazing thing and changes you forever, it sounds like you are experiencing it all to the fullest and taking it all in. What a wonderful blessing! Happy 6 weeks sweet Aidan!

56. Emily commented
    March 24th, 2014 at 9:19pm

Hey Holly
    My son had dairy, soy, and gluten intolerance (gluten is still a minor problem at age 6) but he never tested positive for any “true” allergies. However, he became much happier and started sleeping well when I took those things out of my diet. Phew! The problem then became keeping me well-fed, and I was ALWAYS hungry. Luckily I never had a milk supply problem. Key for me was getting an arsenal of nutritious, high-calorie snacks that didn’t include those allergens. It was very hard! I would recommend finding a bunch of great ready-to-eat snacks for you and easy non-allergenic recipes. It is a big transition but once you get past the hump it gets better. I bet Thorsten will help cook for you, too :) I lived on avocados and coconut-milk (including homemade coconut milk ice cream). At the time the peanut scare was at its fever pitch, so I avoided them, but now I would probably eat a lot of peanut butter. Best of luck, and let me know if you need recipes.
    Emily´s last blog post ..Mixed Pattern Playdress

57. Emily commented
    March 24th, 2014 at 9:21pm

p.s. if gluten is an issue but not nuts, Gaues has an amazing gluten-free cake with a chocolate/ nut crust and raspberries on top. Can’t remember if it had dairy. We always fought over it.
    Emily´s last blog post ..Mixed Pattern Playdress

58. Clever Girl Reviews commented
    March 25th, 2014 at 4:53am

Those are so cute! I love the fact it’s Giraffe themed!
    Clever Girl Reviews´s last blog post ..Fresh Spring Home Decor Updates

59. Capucine commented
    March 25th, 2014 at 5:24am

A Moby wrap and eliminating the ‘big five’ allergens (cow dairy, eggs, wheat, soy, nuts) from my diet were advice gifts that I have used deeply for two babies now.

The commenter who mentioned The Happiest Baby On The Block I agree with, we saw the short DVD by chance and it has wise techniques.

The voice of instinct is a small whisper. The noise of friends, internet, and chores makes a flitting idea vanish. When I am facing that mystery stumped feeling with my baby, I spend a day in bed together nursing and napping without phone, computer, or visitors, and my nose on my baby. It is difficult to block out a day like that. My second baby was not gaining like gangbusters, and I found the key during a bed day. (He nursed well only in a dark quiet room, it turned out.)

One of the shocks of motherhood was how quiet and insignificant vital insights are. Watch for your idle ‘I wonder if it’s x’ thoughts. Good luck to you both.

60. Sandra commented
    March 25th, 2014 at 7:43am

8 pounds 7 ounces?

Something does not add up here.

61. elisabeth buehler commented
    March 25th, 2014 at 10:08am

Dear Holly!
    He is so cute and you do extraordinary well! But be aware this is a marathon and you´ll need resources! We had a very colicy baby for three months, maybe allergy, because the colics stopped at once when we gave him “comformil”- he´s been a non-breast-feeding-baby.
    Before that I´ve been so desperate I began asking mothers on the street for tipps! This is what worked best for us: The sling!!!! A very big ball, sitting with him on it, massage with a special “Bäuchlein-Öl” and a good ostheopath for babies and children. You can get wonderful oils for special treats for you(!) and the baby from the online shop “Bahnhofs-Apotheke Kempten”. They are from the midwife “Ingeborg Stadelmann” which is still quite popular in Germany. And yes you´re right, it´s a strong bonding to spend so much time with a child. Our boy did have pylorus-stenose with 5 weeks old and needed surgery and we spent many many hours with him on the stomach. And that was very necessary after a traumatic birth experience. If you feel the need, there is a wonderful book about it: “Es war eine schwere Geburt”. I bought it two years (!) after the experience and finally found peace and the courage to get a second child.
    Many many happy moments for you and your family!!! Elisabeth

62. Rita commented
    March 25th, 2014 at 11:28am

Holly, congratulations your baby is so sweet.
    My daughter is 28 months now, and at 6 months old she was diagnosed as allergic to cow milk protein, after trying baby formula for the first time and having a violent reaction that took us to the emergency room.
    During those first six months she had eczema and colic. At the time we didn’t link these symptoms to that specific allergy, so the dairy I was having was passing to her, since I was breastfeeding. She has been fine ever since, thankfully, and the allergy is super manageable.
    Ask your pediatrician for advise on allergens and if you are breastfeeding avoid them (dairy, soy, peanut…), and read what you can about the subject, preferably from scientific articles, there’s a lot of wrong information out there.
    All the best .

63. Lauren commented
    March 25th, 2014 at 12:35pm

He’s absolutely gorgeous, what a lovely little face he has!

Lauren

64. decor8 commented
    March 25th, 2014 at 12:36pm

Please explain, why?

65. Martina commented
    March 25th, 2014 at 2:11pm

So sweet, those cards – not to speak of your baby! I miss thetime, when my boys where taht small – it’s so precious! When they had colics, i used to carry them, belly resting on my underarm, sometimes for a long time – that calmed them!
    All the best, M.

66. Amy H.G. commented
    March 25th, 2014 at 2:51pm

Hi Holly!!

I, too, felt that I found that “something” when I had my daughter and then again when I had my son. Children are good for the soul. They are NOT good for getting enough sleep ;-)

Both my kids had a milk protein allergy the first year of their lives. We found out with my daughter at 8 weeks that all the crying and fussing wasn’t normal – as a first time parent I though it was – but good friends told me to get her checked for the allergy. Before we did, she had blood in her stool….lots and lots. We ended up in the ER and sure enough it was a milk protein allergy. Since I hadn’t been able to breastfeed we were told to use either Nutramigen or Allimentum formulas. Terribly expensive and ingredients that I didn’t like. BUT, with 2 weeks of using the formula, we had a normal, happy, nonfussy baby girl. It was like a switch had been turned off.

For my son, we had him tested by week 2 and during week 3 we found out that he had a very severe version of milk protein allergy. So he was put on the formula too. It took his system about 4 weeks to recover. The docs explain it as their poor systems getting raw and inflamed from the constant exposure to the allergens….that explanation helped me remember to be patient. My little guy cried so much that he wasn’t sleeping more than 1 hour at a time. It was awful for everyone, but we got through it and he’s healthy and happy now. By a year, both my kids were able to start drinking cow’s milk without much problem.

I have 3 different close mamma friends who breastfed through children with allergies. They first were told to remove all dairy. Then they removed all soy – you’d be surprised what soy is in- and that was enough for 2 of them to have happy babies. The third friend had to give up eggs and peanut products as well. They each have two kids and had to do the same for each of their kids. All of their kids are happy and allergy free these days. Only 1 of the 6 has any issues and his is just that he is sensitive to lactose.

I’m sharing all this because it seems that babies today are allergic to all sorts of things in our food. For my friends and I, we had our mothers and mothers-in-law around but NONE of them had experienced the allergy issues that we were all experiencing with our little ones. So, call the doc, call your mom friends, and jump on the internet to figure things out. There seems to be a rash of allergy issues these days. I tried so hard to see each of my kids as individuals, but the allergy thing seems to be shared so if you have more children, keep an eye out early. The great thing is…once you figure it out, you can enjoy your baby minus his tears and it, most likely, won’t follow him past his first birthday!!!

Enjoy!!!

67. Chelsy commented
    March 25th, 2014 at 6:40pm

I tried everything- probiotics, fennel tea and found a total of zero things that helped. What got me through the nines months of screaming was realizing how lucky I was to be there for my baby. She could’ve been in an orphanage with not enough hands to hold all the babies and would’ve been left to scream. I would tear with joy as I rocked and bounced and walked with her, silently telling her she was not alone, and if she needed to cry, that was ok by me. (And that’s not to say by accepting her crying meant that I didn’t try to help assuage whatever it was that was bothering her. Like I said- we tried everything. But we didn’t try from a place of frustration, but of peace and love.)
    I’m so glad to hear that you are all doing so well. What a beautiful baby you have! I’m glad you are enjoying these fleeting baby moments.

68. Megan commented
    March 25th, 2014 at 6:48pm

I’ve had four colic-y (at least for the first 8 weeks) babies and my two top tips are: drink gallons of peppermint tea and carry them around in a wrap sling. I had a moby and it was brilliant. As they get bigger they seem to feed more efficiently and take in less air

69. Margaret commented
    March 25th, 2014 at 9:41pm

Wow Holly! Enjoy your time with an adorable son. He is very cute.
    These cards are so sweet!

Margaret
    Margaret´s last blog post ..http://www.decordesireforbeauty.com

70. itziar commented
    March 25th, 2014 at 9:43pm

About colics, my first baby did not have them but my second one yes.
    I gave her a preparation of camomilla and other plants which is prepared in a Chemistry of my city, just some drops made the miracle…

71. decor8 commented
    March 25th, 2014 at 11:49pm

@megan -peppermint tea kills milk production though….

72. Carol commented
    March 26th, 2014 at 12:10am

After eliminating virtually everything from my diet (I was breastfeeding him), I was down to water, bread, and chocolate. So, of course, we then realized it was CHOCOLATE that he was allergic to! GAH!! No wonder I got sick to my stomach just THINKING about drinking a mocha when I was pregnant…

73. Samantha commented
    March 26th, 2014 at 1:01am

Your announcements are adorable, and your son gets cuter by the day!
    Motherhood suits you, Holly!

74. Cora commented
    March 26th, 2014 at 3:26am

I’ve noticed that many people keep their newborns up for to long and/or overstimulate them. We forget the everything is new to them (sounds, smells, sights) it doesn’t take much before it all becomes too much for a newborn and they begin crying, especially when in a new environment. Second, most newborns are only up for an hour or less before going back to sleep. I always watched for the first yawn or wide eyed stare with my five babies and if I swaddled them and put then right to bed they almost always fell right to sleep. If I kept them up for to long then became over tired and cried and cried. Then around the three month mark when they sleep longer at night they stay up for longer periods during the day but, still only for and hour or two. Good luck. Sounds like your doing a wonderful job momma.

75. Christy M commented
    March 26th, 2014 at 5:30am

I may have have nothing to share about babies, but I’m pretty sure that Aidan’s perfectly fine. My friend (who is now a fulltime Mom) is currently reading a book entitled “Baby Wise” and she gets to understand how her baby is expected to behave on a specific age. It also gives you the idea of the supposed to be routine for your kid to grow disciplined. =) Anyway just want to share this.

76. Coco commented
    March 26th, 2014 at 11:41am

Besides your baby – looks very cude… I like the colours of the birth announcement.

Coco

77. Laura Gaskill commented
    March 26th, 2014 at 12:49pm

Oh my, those first 6 weeks!! So precious…each day is like a month, or a year, right!? What a sweet little gentleman Aidan is : ) My little guy never had colic or allergies, but for some reason at 6 pm every single evening he got super fussy and cried, no matter what we were doing! I think all parents sort of end up being detectives : )
    Laura Gaskill´s last blog post ..Charting A Sense of Home

78. Diana commented
    March 26th, 2014 at 1:01pm

reading your update, I want go back to those first months with a little one!
    Nerve wrecking sometimes but so so glorious too! I guess I’ll have to wait until its grandparent time! (Which will take a while still…).

79. Haelyn commented
    March 26th, 2014 at 2:58pm

Congratulations! Little Aidan is Gorgeous! :)

I am a mom of three busy kids, and my middle child was a very fussy baby and hated getting changed on the changing table. He stopped complaining about getting changed once we moved the changing duties to the floor with a waterproof mat and stopped using the changing the table altogether.

As for the fussiness, I rolled with it at first but we started to get concerned when he started to develop extremely, super duper bad eczema especially around his mouth. Doctor initially prescribed a steroid cream which was only a temporary fix because it would come back once we stopped using it. It wasn’t until he got an allergy test (which involves poking a needle on a heel to draw blood) that we discovered his dairy, egg whites and peanut allergies. I changed my diet to accommodate this while breastfeeding, and also when we started him on solids at around 6 months. He sees an allergist every year, and he has since outgrown egg white and dairy allergies.

Hang in there. I would recommend getting an allergy test to see exactly what your son is allergic to. And shower him with lots of hugs and kisses, as you are already doing!

80. samantha hahn commented
    March 26th, 2014 at 5:12pm

What a doll he is and it sounds like you are handling everything beautifully and feeling good. So happy for you and your family. XXOXO.
    samantha hahn´s last blog post ..OliveBox X Well-Read Women GIVEAWAY!

81. diana tsu commented
    March 26th, 2014 at 9:02pm

What a sweet post, and thank you for being candid with your experience of adding a new born in your life. I delivered my first baby exactly 1 week after Aiden. We had the same struggle about not gaining the lost weight back fast enough, plus obsessively researching online for all those mysterious new born “symptoms”!

Great jobs on not only shower and get dressed everyday but also doing make-up & hair! You get a super-woman stamp in my book. I look forward to read more about your new life with Aiden as I learn to fold little Ansel into our life.

82. Holly Hudson commented
    March 26th, 2014 at 10:59pm

We had 5 children in less than 9 years….lots of crying, but it does improve…my dearest supervisor — when I had baby #2 recommended putting towels in the dryer and swaddling the baby tightly. Today, there are those swaddles available in the softest of cottons or fleece, try warming one up….I hope it helps
    All those veggies can be problematic for the breastfeeding, stay away from broccoli, cauliflower & some times tomato sauce. best of luck, spring time is wonderful for babies….
    Holly

83. Carol commented
    March 27th, 2014 at 3:39am

Hi Holly, what beautiful cards, they are so gorgeous. Thank you for sharing the story of your pregnancy, Aidan’s birth and your journey. Have never written a comment before, but really wanted to pass on this resource. I have an 8 month old and had a very difficult few weeks with colic. The thing that worked was following the advice of Dr Howard Chilton, an Australian Neonatologist. Apparently their is a lot of data to suggest that colicky symptoms and behaviour occur because babies are overstimulated (they can’t self sooth until after 3 months). To return to their base level of calm he recommends taking them to a dimly lit room, having some quiet background music and feeding, swaddling and settling there for 2 days (detailed instructions and explanations are available online and in his book). Hope this finds it’s way to people who need it. Good luck with everything. Cheers and all the best, Carol

84. Carol commented
    March 27th, 2014 at 3:57am

Hi Holly, Carol again! Didn’t know if it was okay to suggest resources when I originally wrote, but would particularly recommend ‘Baby on Board’ by Dr Howard Chilton. The best book I have read and great for husbands too. My husband loved hearing the reasons why babies do what they do at different times. Such a relief to read explanations that are both scientifically researched , common sense and accessible! All the best. Carol

85. giselle commented
    March 27th, 2014 at 9:49pm

Holly,

I think you are super woman! I have a 6th month old, I’m now back to work but I struggle with keeping my house organized and clean, I’ve worked out 2x since she was born and I’m still at least 15 lbs above my regular weight and she’s been as happy as a clam since birth.

Please share a little bit of your routine.

86. Lucy Chen commented
    March 28th, 2014 at 1:41am

Holly, I strongly recommend this book titled “The Happiest Baby on the Block”. If you cannot get it on Amazon, I can send mine to you.

Basically, to help your infant feel more comfortable and secure and safe, you make him feel more like if he’s still in your womb. So what you do is

1) wrap him VERY tightly, tighter than you think, just like how he is tightly wrapped inside you, there wasn’t much room to move, was there?

2) put him to rest on his tummy or his side (I know the saying that you have to let the baby sleep on his back to reduce the risk of forgot-the-name-sydrome, but you are watching him, it’s ok), because he’s never lay on his back in your tummy.

3) give him white noise. you can put him next to the washing machine, turn on your vaccum cleaning or whatever, different babies like different white noises. the most effective is to shuush very very loudly into his ear. This is to imitate the sound that he’s used to hear when inside you, your heart beat, your blood flow etc.

4) rock him. do this while you have the above 3. the thing with rocking is that the quicker you rock, the shorter (or the smaller) the (I don’t know the right word) length of the rocking distance (from side to side or up to down).

5) the icing on the cake is to give him a dummy to suck.

OK. I hope you get the book. It even shows you the best, quickest, most effective way to wrap a baby.

Let me know if you can’t get it, so I ‘ll send it to you.
    Lucy Chen´s last blog post ..How to Decorate Your Home – The Only One Thing You Really Need

87. Carolina Mello commented
    March 28th, 2014 at 3:19am

Oh, so cute! Congratulations!
    I also have a baby 7 months, Leo, I’m completely in love!
    I love the site, where a reference for me.
    Kisses from Rio

88. Erin commented
    March 28th, 2014 at 4:28am

Hi Holly,
    My third baby Charlie has an issue with milk. He was on a medication for reflux when he was about 4 weeks old and at the same time I completely cut milk and soy out of my diet. The reflux didn’t bother him as much if he was upright so he needed to be held constantly, otherwise he was crying and was clearly miserable.
    We were just about distraught- we were exhausted and not able to feel the joy of having a new baby.
    A friend who is a doctor came by to visit and suggested the baby might have a milk issue. His baby had the same problem. My family doctor will not send me to the allergist until the baby is two. BUT when Charlie has eaten milk he is in pain and has terrible digestion issues- his diapers are constantly full and seem very acididc- leading to rash. Cutting out milk and soy completely solved the problem. Charlie is almost two and I am introducing milk if it has been cooked- like in muffins etc with no digestive issues so far.
    I was able to nurse the whole time but I did supplement with Alimentum when he was a bit older. He drinks Almond milk now. It takes a little getting used to- lots of labels to read but cutting things from your diet is an easy fix and will allow you to continue to nurse.

89. Jennifer Becker commented
    March 28th, 2014 at 3:33pm

I cannot thank you enough for blogging about your pregnancy and more importantly the true feelings and thoughts since your son was born. I am really good some days being pregnant and some days I am freaking out because I’ve waited until 42 to try this MOM thing. You help me have hope and peace for a happy healthy baby! Cheers to Baby Beckers!!!

90. Maureen commented
    March 28th, 2014 at 4:22pm

Your baby boy is just beautiful!!! They are just perfection in my mind. My son (now 16) hated getting his diaper changed from the start. Someone suggested turning on a blow dryer near his head…we tried it and he never cried again during a diaper change! I think it might distract them or something, not really sure. All I can say is it WORKED! His twin sister never minded her diaper changes, vive la différence!

91. Dana @ chocolate and sunshine commented
    March 28th, 2014 at 5:40pm

So, Holly, obviously you know how we have lived vicariously through your home design inspirations, and we do the same with photos of your little baby guy. My youngest is 13 and I miss babies, too, so it’s always fun to see him and of course yours and T’s photos are amazing, so keep them coming, dear Holly. Beautiful announcements, too. Save an extra for him to have when he is grown up, too as you won’t want to part with your copy, especially when he is a grown man. Time flies. Enjoy! x Dana
    Dana @ chocolate and sunshine´s last blog post ..Chocolate Time!/Chocolate Lasagna Recipe

92. ashleigh@shabbynot4gotten commented
    March 28th, 2014 at 9:54pm

Oh. my.gosh….isnt he SO STINKING CUTE!
    congrats on baby!
    Thanks for the dose of cuteness :)

ashleigh@sn4g

ashleigh@shabbynot4gotten´s last blog post ..Hello…from Sweden

93. Patty Radish commented
    March 29th, 2014 at 6:02am

Congratulations on having a perfect baby boy! As far as the allergies, I didn’t figure out until nursing my third baby that it was my dairy intake that was giving them “colic”. I searched everywhere for an answer, (pre-internet) and it was a wonderful mom at a Le Leche meeting that suggested it. Finally, happy nursing with out discomfort to my baby! It was an allergy after all. Hope this helps!

94. Karen Fields commented
    March 29th, 2014 at 1:02pm

Hi Holly,
    Sweet baby boy. :))

My severely colicky babies are now 20 and 21! I know exactly what you’re going through and it’s really demanding and tiring. My husband and I would take turns walking the baby around our townhouse for hours at a time just trying to sooth them. That’s why we stopped at two!

Ideas:
    Put baby on your lap on his belly and rub his back.

Hold baby high vertically over your shoulder so his belly is towards top of your shoulder. Softly bounce.

We had a vibrating unit that attached to the bottom of the crib when putting baby to sleep. lullaby music turned on.

Holding the baby sideways his belly to your chest and sway firmly back and forth.

Swaddle with soft blanket.

I hope these help. I wish you the very best with your sweet baby boy. :))

Karen Fields
    Karen Fields´s last blog post ..Original Mixed Media Collage Birds Flowers painting Bohemian flower painting, purple modern – 12×16 canvas by karenfieldsgallery

95. Vanessa commented
    March 30th, 2014 at 1:16am

Sadly, I had undiagnosed food and environmental allergies during pregnancy and breastfeeding. Autoimmune thyroiditis dried my milk up at the two-month mark, but it turned out to be a blessing in disguise. We began supplementing with hypoallergenic formula, into which I added a full-spectrum probiotic–I just opened the capsule and mixed it in. We used vented bottles (Playtex Ventaire) with the slowest flow nipples possible, and kept her upright for 30 minutes after each feeding.

We also put a wedge under her bassinet mattress and her changing pad. It really changed her attitude toward the changing table!

We also used Colic Calm (it says “homeopathic” on the bottle but it’s really just traditional herbal remedies – fennel, chamomile, etc.).

These changes gave us an entirely happier, bubblier, much calmer baby. It was a big relief after two incredibly challenging and scary months, and a nice break before sorting through food allergies as she began solids. Everyone’s situation is different, but these changes worked well for us. I hope this may help you or someone else!

96. エレナ commented
    March 30th, 2014 at 8:31am

Congratulations…life is beautiful with a newborn even if it is so tirying.i have a6 months baby boy and i feel like the time is flying. At first he was really colicy but probably because i had to supliment with formula..bad decision..my advice is to brestfeed as much as you can… he probably has allergy to cow milk protein witch is in every formula..anyway a specialist will tell you what choices you have

97. Nicola Natland commented
    April 9th, 2014 at 5:40pm

Firstly, I know that this is a little late but congratulations on the addition to your family.

My daughter Tabitha had allergies that we also initially thought was colic. Those first few months were so hard. I was at my wits end. It seemed like I was nursing her all the time and she did not seem satisfied and I was so tired that I gave her a bottle of formula in the hope that she would settle and sleep. Oh boy! She was so sick. I will never forget her sad little face looking at me from my husbands shoulder as the sick kept coming out of her mouth.

Heartbreaking! But ultimately it was worth it! We found out that she was lactose and soy intolerant. I changed my diet and cut out all dairy and soy – I am English and a cup of tea with rice milk is not the same! – but it was so worth it. It turned our life around. She was so much happier and she slept, well, like a baby! She had been going 12 hours at a time without sleep! I had planned on nursing her until she was 3 months old but due to her allergies I nursed her until she was just over 2 years old. She outgrew her allergies – we gave her butter and yoghurt and then slowly introduced other dairy products and watched for any reaction. To this day – she is now 10 – she will not drink milk though she eats all over dairy products without a problem. I hope that this reassures you and that just a few changes in your diet can make a world of difference.

98. Neethi commented
    May 3rd, 2014 at 8:42am

Hi Holly,

Many congratulations on your bundle of joy! Guess I am few months late in wishing you…:-)!! Wishing you both good health. Just adored all pictures of Aidan.

Love