April 2, 2014

Hello everyone! How are you today? Let’s talk about beautiful photography for a minute and check out an inspiring studio in Brooklyn. If you’ve already caught the link in my recent post about Sweet Paul’s new book (here), then you may have clicked over already and discovered Alexandra Grableweski for yourself. If not, you’re in for a real treat. After reviewing Paul’s book, I wanted to create my own little post highlighting her most gorgeous images because seeing her portfolio made me feel creative and sparked the need in me to start using my Canon 5D more and really LEARN photography and no longer accept being comfortable with the same old settings I often fall back on which produce very mediocre results.

Studio & Photographer: Alexandra Grablewski

In other words, her work gave me a swift butt kick! Alexandra’s photos are a combination of technique and a clever eye, which to me are the key ingredients in taking photos that stand out from the pack. You can’t have one without the other because you can have the best angles, gorgeous subjects, and the awe-inspiring surroundings, but if you don’t know how to capture them correctly on a technical level (lighting is key!), then you may never be fully satisfied with your photographs. I must add though that you also need a lot of patience because working with people (especially pets and children) requires a lot of it. We had an infant photo shoot in my home last month 10 days after my son was born (see the results here) and our photography, Christin Lange, was so perfectly patient with our baby despite how she’d position him a certain way and immediately he’d move and she’s have to do it all over again and again and again. I observed her patience and it brought baby and child photography up to a whole new level of respect in my eyes. I had no idea how much work it was to get babies posed well for a single image.

Studio & Photographer: Alexandra Grablewski

For those of you who aren’t familiar with Alexandra’s work, she is professional photographer based in Brooklyn who specializes in food, still life, children, and travel photography. When she’s not on location, she is shooting from her home which doubles as her studio space for client work. She recently shot the new book by Paul Lowe called Eat & Make, which you can win a copy of here until April 8, 2013. Here are some glimpses of her home studio below to give you a peek.

Studio & Photographer: Alexandra Grablewski

What an interesting concept to keep your home tidy and spare so that you can use it as your studio space in addition to living. I find it so interesting that she can even live that way, I tend to have so much stuff that is personal that I’d have a hard time loaning my private space out to clients or shooting in all of the rooms in my home. I admire her tidiness and dedication to her work so, SO much. I also love that despite being in New York City, her three-story city home looks like it’s located in the middle of a scenic countryside. It has a very Connecticut or New Hampshire vibe – very New England – so charming. All of the white and wood makes for the perfect backdrop for so many different types of photos, too.

Here are some of my favorites from her portfolio. I particularly love the ones that center on lifestyle and children, for obvious reasons given I just had my first child! I also need to get a marble work surface like the one shown in the below photo. I love marble surfaces that are white with gray because you can really let things melt and smear nicely on them and they won’t dry as quickly or absorb into the surface as they would if placed on a wooden surface. Truth be told, I’ve been really attracted to them lately because my neighbor and friend Susanne, who writes the blog Milas Deli, uses one in lots of her IG stream photos and I really like how it looks. I’m on the prowl for one to buy for my kitchen now so I can start showing some of my own food photos that I post on IG with a marble background instead of always relying on my wooden table. It’s getting boring. I need to try some new surfaces and experiment a little bit.

Studio & Photographer: Alexandra Grablewski

So what do you think, gorgeous or what?

(images: alexandra grablewski with permission)

You Might Also Like

• Reply anastasia April 2, 2014 at 8:35 am

love these kind of photos…great lifestyle pics!

• Reply Angela - designhaus no.9 April 2, 2014 at 11:07 am

Alexandra’s images are so wonderful. I just started to learn more about photography. There is a lot of work and a lot of fun.

• Reply Lucy Chen April 2, 2014 at 12:51 pm

Love the soft palette of the photos!

• Reply Belle April 2, 2014 at 1:38 pm

The thing I like most about these images is that it all seems to be against a bright, white, and natural background with really vibrant pops of fun colors like yellows and pinks. It feels clean and fun. Very inspiring!

• Reply Beccy April 2, 2014 at 3:37 pm

Such great photos, its a real art and skill. One of the things on my list to learn about!

• Reply Juliette April 2, 2014 at 3:47 pm

Yes, loving these shots! I finally got my first DSLR and am all sorts of excited to dive in. It’s really getting my creative juices going, which have been down for such a long time.

• Reply Ana April 2, 2014 at 5:29 pm

So beautiful! I’m so in love.

• Reply Aga @ Passion shake April 2, 2014 at 8:39 pm

One word: AMAZING!!!

• Reply Lynn April 2, 2014 at 9:03 pm

She is also a joy to work with and it certainly shines through in her lovely bright work ;o)

• Reply Julie Gallagher April 2, 2014 at 9:23 pm

Love the look of marble right now too! I jsut bought a dining room table with a marble top (great for kids as no staining). But if you want to “cheat” your photos in the meantime, I bought a roll of contact sticky paper with a white and grey marble design (the stuff you use to line shelves etc. from the local garden/home shop) and for instagram shots I promise you wouldn’t be able to tell the difference!

• Reply Gemma Morgan April 2, 2014 at 10:00 pm

Beautiful inspiring photography!

• Reply Janelle@awhitefarm April 3, 2014 at 1:20 pm

SO gorgeous and so very inspiring…love!!

• Reply Bedre Nætter April 3, 2014 at 3:46 pm

Gorgeus! And the baby picture + the dog is just priceless :D

• Reply In a Trendy Town April 3, 2014 at 5:26 pm

Posts with deco, babies and food, perfect posts!

• Reply Roseanna April 3, 2014 at 5:36 pm

Yes, just beautiful, wonderful “eye”. Very inspiring!

• Reply Trix & Trumpet April 3, 2014 at 5:42 pm

Alexandra has great composition in her photographs and they are not only images that I can get lost in for hours, but they provide so much inspiration to take really great photographs. Looking at and studying the work of great photographers helps to keep in perspective that so much can be achieved with practice, lighting and patience. It isn’t easy, but it’s a lot of fun perfecting.

• Reply Clever Girl Reviews April 3, 2014 at 7:37 pm

Love the cloche with the butterflies!

• Reply Kate Amunrud April 3, 2014 at 8:11 pm

So much life and energy in all these photos! I love it!

• Reply ac April 3, 2014 at 8:19 pm

I’m torn between the hand knit socks and the swaddle as my favorites!

• Reply Fiona Duke April 4, 2014 at 1:19 pm

I wish I could borrow Alexandra for a few hours. I am trying to set up my own business and have done a website and blog but they are so basic.

i am going to take on board the way she views things and take some more photos !!!!!

• Reply ac April 4, 2014 at 5:23 pm

Love this shoot. It feels so warm and wonderful.

• Reply Chi chi Furniture April 8, 2014 at 10:02 am

Lovely pics, very relaxed and personal. Love their home, so white and airy and full of charm. I love the pops of colour adding character to the space, the green chair with white desk is such a feature and the rustic touches add warmth.

• Reply Kristina April 13, 2014 at 9:24 am

Wow, thanks for posting these, her images are gorgeous! She has such a great style, light and airy and full of color at the same time. Her home is to die for!!