April 5, 2014

I’m floored! I wanted to pull together my top 14 favorite floors because I love flooring and think it’s totally worth the investment. In fact, I know it’s worth it because we recently had hardwood flooring installed in the back of our house and it made a HUGE difference in our life and also in our heating bill already! Here are some floors that I’m into at the moment, I’m curious to see if any of these appeal to you or if you already have one of these looks at home?

My Top 14 Favorite Floors

1. Floral floor tile? OH YES PLEASE. This is just the cutest, I’m in love. And check out the tile in the adjacent room too in those sexy hexy shapes. Now I want to see all of the other rooms in this home, the beauty must just go on and on and on… In fact, did you check out the doorways – each trimmed inside with black paint? Pinch me. via: remodelista

My Top 14 Favorite Floors2. Washi tape as rug. I love how this rug outline was taped beneath the table. You could go nuts with this idea if you have solid flooring (meaning, pattern-free). It may not last forever, but who needs it to? Who cares about forever, my god, just get me through today. I personally love changing things up so this is a great option for the non-committal types. Via: zsa zsa bellagio.

My Top 14 Favorite Floors

3. High gloss grey wood. This is such a modern, clean look. You can’t drop anything on it though so this is definitely a good look for clean freaks. So shiny and pretty but also very classy. Via: Stellan Herner/Skarp Agent

My Top 14 Favorite Floors

4.”Escher-esque” tiles. This is just TOO MUCH SEXY in one space. I love it. It’s very graphic so it must be easy to keep clean since I imagine the pattern makes you a bit too dizzy/loopy if you stare toooo long – unlike my white tile bathroom floors that I have to constantly wipe down! White tile in the bathroom only works if every member of your household is blonde – otherwise dark hairs are a royal pain to constantly scoop up with kleenex (I hate seeing hairs on bathroom floors, I know hair happens but it’s a pet peeve). Photographer: Linda Bergroth

My Top 14 Favorite Floors

5. Dark Polished Cement Floors – This is in a house outside of Paris that we nearly shot for my second book, but we couldn’t budget in the extra shoot day. Too bad. I love the floors! via: elle interior

My Top 14 Favorite Floors

6. Rustic wide plank floors in black, gray and brown – love! This just screams, “I am one HOT bachelor and this is where I impress the ladies”, right!? This is a floor I want to get on top of! I’d like to add a black worn leather sofa to this space, an art wall and a big flokati rug on the floor so I can get cozy because that sofa, though cute, is NOT curl-up-able.

My Top 14 Favorite Floors

7. Diamond Patterned Wood – More wooden floors, this time in a very cool diamond pattern that looks washed out in a grey-brown. Would we call this Grown, like Frown? Again, a floor can really make a room, right? Via: oyoy

My Top 14 Favorite Floors

8. Stenciled rustic wooden floors. This is a great look for a porch or kitchen because it has this whole boho vibe. I imagine this floor in a room oozing with plants and stuff from Anthropologie. Via: From London With Love.

My Top 14 Favorite Floors

9. Wood laid many ways –  I adore this stylish way to install a wooden floor, don’t you? Really amazing. Definitely on my love list! I love the whole apartment too though, I mean wooden paneling on the walls, that sofa, the high ceilings, it’s definitely a hot property.

My Top 14 Favorite Floors

10. Old European tiles: Particularly those from Portgual, Spain, France, Belgium and Germany. This kitchen and the tiles have been a major LIKE of mine for a long time now.  via: no cheap thrills

My Top 14 Favorite Floors

11. Wood + Tile Combo – I know it’s pretty mainstream to see natural wooden floors but I still ADORE them. Especially when they’re matte and not super shiny. What I really love about this hallway though is the tiles at the entrance. This is a favorite look of mine that I would LOVE to have in my home someday.  via: Valvet.

My Top 14 Favorite Floors

12. Hardwood painted mint (or any gorgeous color): This is such a serene and pretty floor. I like seeing wood painted, white, mint, gray, black… It’s all good to me. via: shape+space

My Top 14 Favorite Floors

13. Tinted wood flooring (in indigo): I’ve never laid eyes on a wooden floor quite like this. It’s so unique and breathtaking but also very subtle and natural. I can imagine a tinted wooden floor in so many different colors. I personally would love a silver tinted wooden floor, that would be so amazing as I’ve not yet come across metallic wooden floors before but imagine they’d look stunning. via: color me indigo

My Top 14 Favorite Floors

14. Painted rug on concrete floors: This is such a great look, don’t you think? Placed a painted rug beneath that table really gives such a large area a defined eating space. Clever and affordable. via: merchant design.

Okay, it’s your turn? What are YOUR top favorites from my finds above? Any that made your knees buckle?

(images linked to their sources above)

You Might Also Like

• Reply MIU DESIGN BLOG April 5, 2014 at 2:44 pm

Omg, i love it! So beautiful pics!!! Thanks u for it:)

• Reply tinajo April 5, 2014 at 2:53 pm

Very cool collection of floors – love them all in different ways! :-)

• Reply Marie Solveg April 5, 2014 at 3:17 pm

Hello and a lovely weekend.

I love nummer 1 and nummer 10.
    My home is like nummer 11.

Love this inspiration from you. Thank you:-)

Marie from Denmark

• Reply Megan April 5, 2014 at 4:43 pm

That “Escher-esque” tile floor! Are you kidding me?!? If don’t think I’d ever leave my bathroom. It’s amazing!!

• Reply Project Apart April 5, 2014 at 4:47 pm

I love all of these pictures! Unfortunately my husband doesn’t like most of the tiles :( I have to find a way to trick him into getting some of those European tiles (Portugese/Spain). Maybe for the hall or bathroom?

Love your blog btw!

x Nicky

• Reply Lisa April 5, 2014 at 8:34 pm

Lovely photos
    L x

• Reply sula362 April 5, 2014 at 10:13 pm

super post. I was looking at floors today, Parquet or cork digitalled printed to look like wood? So much choice these days

• Reply Nat@DearLittleHouse April 6, 2014 at 2:03 am

ALL about that giant hex tile in the first pic! Love it to bits. We have the regular old teeny tiny version in our bathroom but am loving this look.

• Reply Patchwork Harmony April 6, 2014 at 9:13 am

We’ve just done a test on our floors in a glossy grey & really unsure whether to do it or not… But this example looks really nice… X

• Reply Koidu April 6, 2014 at 9:22 am

Amazing floors, thank you for the inspiration! Also, please check out, a company that specializes in manufacturing curved floorboards. I have never seen anything like it! Cheers!

• Reply gudrun April 6, 2014 at 2:27 pm

This is inspirational ,,love the tile floors

• Reply Lorraine April 7, 2014 at 7:05 am

How do I get beyond my fear of “ruining” my 100 year oak hard wood floors to get one of these great looks?

• Reply Vhutali April 7, 2014 at 9:28 am

i’m floored too. the floor might not be the limit but ot definately is the beginning of a great thiing. love them

• Reply fiona duke April 7, 2014 at 6:58 pm

totally loving this post.

i could look at these flooring images ALL day.

i think so some people flooring is an afterthought in their overall design but for me it is always where I start from because it completely defines the room and often takes most of my budget !!!!

• Reply fiona duke April 7, 2014 at 7:03 pm

P.s. – personal favourites:

totally love the floral tile and the wood & tile combo

have tried the painted floorboards and really didn’t last very long and the overall look was ‘tired’ very quickly.

i have a complete mix of flooring in my home, strong black and white mosaic for hall, rustic oak in kitchen /diner, encaustic tiles in bathroom……..

what I would like to try out next is Cement Floor – and perhaps try the painted rug too !!!!

• Reply Clair Byrd April 7, 2014 at 8:48 pm

My god.. the washi tape! The stained concrete! The wood + tile! THE DIAMOND STAINED HARDWOOD! Ugh, I’m dying over here.

I’m so used to seeing such terrible floor treatments everyday (I curate apartment listings for people) that this is SUCH a breath of fresh air. I wish more landlords would put some love into their floors — it could be such an easy selling point. “Wait, the apartment doesn’t have terrible brownish grey berber carpet?! WHERE DO I SIGN?!” I once rented an apartment with stained concrete and hardwood and I didn’t want to move away and lose my floors. :(

• Reply Joanna April 8, 2014 at 1:25 am

Totally ah-mazing!! I am itching to redo the floors in our home and this just provided SO much inspiration!

• Reply Olivia April 8, 2014 at 6:48 pm

oooh… dreamy flooring here! the painted rugs are to die for, and i am in love with the mint-painted wood floors! also, those dark polished cement floor… makes me want to rip out the flooring i have right now and try some of these out! thanks for sharing, a beautiful post as always. this just made my day!

• Reply Caroline April 9, 2014 at 9:37 am

Wonderful selection – I can’t stop looking at the pics!

• Reply ac April 10, 2014 at 3:00 pm

I’d take any of the floors in this post. LOVE. Especially that bathroom with the fuzzy white slippers places just so.

• Reply Suzi (The Pillow Studio) April 13, 2014 at 2:32 am

I love the rug painted on the cement. So very cool.

• Reply bSirko April 15, 2014 at 11:45 am

I love room# 2. The picture behind the table … what is that? Looks like those Japanese or Chinese painting rolls.

• Reply Denny April 18, 2014 at 11:57 pm

I love all of these floors, but I’m really attracted to the stenciled floor. We have a painted cement floor, but the paint is wearing off on the high traffic areas. I might just scrape off any loose floor paint and stencil on some large designs on the floor! Also love the other painted designs and the tape!

• Reply M-i home April 20, 2014 at 2:00 pm

I love room 7,8,10 and 11. such an inspiration!

• Reply Elena June 2, 2014 at 10:42 pm

I like this one as well:
    The entire apartment is covered with concrete tiles. The simplicity of the interiors, dominated by white and wood, is enhanced by the pattern of the tiles.