6 Hot Trends From Salone Del Mobile, Milan 2014

Are you interested in seeing 6 hot interiors trends straight out of the recent Salone Del Mobile in Milan? Hi, it’s Gudy for another monthly trend report and I am just back from the best interior design event that took place in Italy earlier this month. If you can make it, please try to visit the Salone next year, it is utterly inspiring! It was a good show this year. I have never seen Milan that packed during the event and the exhibitions downtown and at the fairground were super interesting. For me, it was THE best show of the past three years that I’ve visited. It seems the industry is getting back slowly to its former glory, which is wonderful news for us all. The so-called Off-Salone was my favorite playground this year. Brera, Ventura Lambrate and Tortona are the three districts were I spent most of my time strolling through hidden courtyards and discovering both new and familiar spaces again. In these areas you’ll find young talents and established brands who prefer the cool and laid back atmosphere against the business style of the fairgrounds. Looking back at my trends, most of them I’d spotted at the Off-Salone which confirms these areas are the hot spots right now. You know when an area is the place to be when Li Edelkoort decides to have her exhibition there. But let’s look now at what I’m calling my 6 micro trends, some are new, others are just evolutions of existing movements such as b&w or marble.

1. MINI SHELVES - Mini shelves are hot! It’s not exclusively about storing anymore but the shelf becomes an art object or displays just one or two pieces. It’s meant to be an eye catcher, a way of showing your favorite piece, a plant, or whatever treasure you want to highlight. Any material is allowed, there has been a stronger focus on metal though. Image 1: HAY, Pivot by Lex Pott for HAY, Moustache, Bouroullec for Vitra. Image 2: Petite Friture Image 3: HAY.

minishelves_gudy

mini shelves - Petite Friture   mini shelves - Pivot by Lex Pott for HAY
2. GLASS FUSION - Glass blowing has always been a beautiful handcraft and is kind of evolving towards a fusion with other materials now. You’ll find often round blown glass bodies combined with wood, cork and metal but there are interesting designs too for furniture and lighting. Below: Image 1: Hopf NordinRuben der Kinderen, Giorgia Zanellato and Daniele Bortotto for MorosoLee Broom Image 2: Muuto Image 3: krehky

glassfusiongudy

Muuto     glass fusion - krehky
3. MIRRORS - I’ve loved seeing this new trend. Mirrors have been the star of all accessories this year. They can be completely tarnished, spread with paint, shapes are different, they hang or can lean towards walls. Mirrors have lost their mere function and become little art objects to be displayed by themselfs or hanging as an ensemble together. My favorite trend of all! What do you think?  Below: Image 1: HAYPetite FritureMoustachePetite Friture Image 2: Lex Pott Image 3: Charming Reflections by Rooms Image 4: HAY

mirrors_gudy

mirrors - lexpott   mirrors - Charming reflections by Rooms

mirrors - HAY2

4. BLACK + WHITE -  B&W was everywhere in Milan, at the show and in the fashion retailers, in all possible patterns from stripes, to chevron, tartan, dots and herringbone. The interesting part was that even colorful trendsetter brands such as Missoni and Roche Bobois had a large range of black and white backgrounds mixed with bold colors. B&W patterns are designed for fabrics, ceramics, metal, wallpaper and many other surfaces. You’ll soon see a lot of b&w/gold combos coming up for a more sophisticated taste. Below: Image 1: Missoni HomePaola Navone for GervasoniMissoni Homeemanuel ungarode rosso Image 2: Paola Navone for Gervasoni Image 3: Jaime Hayon for Bosa Image 4: Kose Image 5: de rosso

bwgudy

b&w -  Paola Navone for Gervasoni

Hopebird by Jaime Hayon for Bosa

b&w - Kose

b&w - library derosso

5. MARBLE  – Ok, I’ve been seeing now marble on this fair for the past two years. In 2012 only Italian brands would come up with tabletops. There is quite some tradition and local quarries in Italy. Last year marble and already other stone qualities had been shown by other labels too, and in 2014 noble stones are now used in smaller sizes to make them more accessible for a wider public. Tableware, lamp feet, side tables, or smaller furnitures, there is such a wide range of possibilities. My guess is that marble will stay for quite a while. Below: Image 1: Heatty by Claudio Larcher for Clique Editions (marble fan heater), Earnest StudioTord Boontje for Moroso, Echo by Claudio Larcher for Clique Editions (bookcase with integrated marble bluetooth speaker), Lens Boxes by Thomas Jenkins – Wrong for HAY Image 2: Earnest Studio and Dana Cannam Design.

marble_gudy

marble - Earnest Studio and Dana Cannam Design

6. YELLOW METAL - Good news for all of you who are a bit tired of copper: brass seems to be a nice successor. Yes, there still have been many designs in copper but the yellow metal or similar finishing are getting stronger, and even the copper king Tom Dixon appeared to show a larger palette at his stand. Matte and shiny, both options work, and if not on metal, ceramic glazes are another much seen material. Most of the brand nevertheless offer the three options of white, yellow and rose finishings on metals. I guess it’s a way to have something to offer to all types of clients. Below: Image 1: Form by Tom DixonDante, Jaime Hayon for BosaFlexform Image 2: Seletti Image 3: Maskhayon by Jaime Hayon for Bosa Image 4: Mass by Tom Dixon

yellowmetal_gudy

yellow metal - Seletti

yellow metal  - Maskhayon by Jaime Hayon for Bosa

yellow metal - Mass by Tom Dixon

What is your favorite of the trends and is there anything that you spot about that you could easily see integrated in your home? Wishing you a wonderful April, I’ll see you again in May with another trend report from Europe! Warmly, Gudy

(text/images: gudy herder)

Posted by decor8 in trends on April 24, 2014

1. In a Trendy Town commented
    April 24th, 2014 at 6:27pm

We love the wire racks!

In a Trendy Town´s last blog post ..Vídeo tutorial: Un corazón decorativo y resultado del SORTEO!!!

2. Tanja commented
    April 24th, 2014 at 9:24pm

Dear Gudy,
    thanks a lot for your report!
    i love most the sofa from Paola Navone for Gervasoni
    and in general i like to see the yellow metal instead of the copper
    Tanja

3. Marzi commented
    April 25th, 2014 at 12:59am

Love this post. As a collector that edits, it is great to think of rotating items to be on trend, such as the brass, marble and mirrors.

4. Krista commented
    April 25th, 2014 at 2:38am

Gudy – your eye is always spot on! Tami & I also loved browsing Off-Salone this year in Milan and while the show itself was spectacular, so many amazing finds were to be had in the little booths by the up and comers in Tortona and the like. The ONLY bad thing about our trip to Milan was that we missed seeing you in person. Still don’t know how that happened?! I think Tami and I must come to Barcelona to see you. It’s settled. xx
    Krista´s last blog post ..Limelight: Carla Stolper

5. Lucy Chen commented
    April 25th, 2014 at 4:39am

Oh I love the mini shelves! And partnering mirror with flowers and garden is such an excellent idea! Thank you for sharing,Gudy.
    Lucy Chen´s last blog post ..My First Nude Painting, a Self Portrait

6. mel commented
    April 25th, 2014 at 7:09am

Oh Gudy a great report yet again! I agree with you that the mirror trend is one to embrace . I also like these small shelves and it’s something I’d like to explore because I’m so lacking in display areas at the moment. I have to say that I’m starting to tire of the copper/brass trend, I think it works beautifully in the home yet understated and not now as the “fashion” feature. Interesting it’s still here! M xx
    mel´s last blog post ..Urban Jungle Bloggers April Challenge

7. Aga @ Passion shake commented
    April 25th, 2014 at 10:27am

Gudy you are truly a trend master :) I love reading your reports, they are so interesting and educative. It’s difficult to choose just one favorite trend as they are all really cool, but I think the closest to my taste would be mini shelves and mirrors – especially the one from Petite Friture… it’s been on my wish list for a while! :)
    Aga @ Passion shake´s last blog post ..Pop of yellow + 3 DIY ideas

8. Chi chi Furniture commented
    April 25th, 2014 at 11:49am

Hello, I love the mini shelves. Its great how furniture is not all about functionality anymore but style too – the point you make with the mirrors, they can take on the role of a pice of art. I have a huge mirror in my lounge as I had a vast wall space to fill and already had some art so felt more could busy the room too much. The mirror looks fab and adds light to the room. I love mirror clusters too. Black and white has always been striking and stylish and with pops of colour can create a fabulously vibrant/chic look.

9. Christopher Mansell commented
    April 25th, 2014 at 1:18pm

The yellow metal is much nicer than copper or brass. It looks like it would brighten up a space a lot more.
    Christopher Mansell´s last blog post ..Happy Easter From Wallpaper Ink!

10. Emily S commented
    May 5th, 2014 at 11:54pm

I Love that all of these trends turn many everyday items into pieces of functional art. The incorporation of different mediums like the glass, mirrors, marble, and brass is also a refreshing modern twist. Thanks for the inspiration!