Wild Garlic Bread Recipe

April 29, 2014

Hello lovely decor8 readers! It’s Rincy again with another Simple Times post. How have you all been doing? While the year started off slowly for some of us, life is well and truly catching up this month. Cherry blossoms, florals and herbs are bursting on the scene with such humbling beauty it’s impossible not to be infected with that spring spirit. A few weeks ago, one of our friends broke the mould of a seasonal gathering and led us out for an afternoon of foraging wild garlic. What followed thereafter was six hours of real conversation, a shared meal over bread and dips and that feeling of ‘why didn’t we do this sooner’? There really is something about breaking bread together that draws friendships closer.

Wild Garlic Bread Recipe

Wild Garlic Bread Recipe

Wild Garlic Bread Recipe

Wild Garlic Bread Recipe

Wild Garlic Bread Recipe

Wild Garlic Bread Recipe

Here’s hoping that this encourages you to do the same this month. This bread recipe is one of the simplest to put together and a complete treat to accompany any meal.

Wild Garlic Bread –
Recipe courtesy of Jette Virdi (adapted from Ballymaloe)

450g plain flour
12-14fl oz butter milk [if you don’t have butter milk: try regular milk with juice of 1 lemon squeezed in, stirred and left for a little. should go a little thicker/lumpier]
pinch of salt
big handful of wild garlic

Preheat oven to 230C, Mix flour, salt and wild garlic. Add half milk and mix in circular motion. Then add remaining milk in stages. Once it comes together turn out dough onto lightly floured surface then make it round. Try not to play around with it too much as it will lose it’s ‘rise’. Cook for 15mins at 230C then turn oven down to 200C and cook for roughly 30-40mins. To check if cooked, turn upside down and tap the bottom, should sound hollow if cooked.

Words/Images: Rincy, Food + Recipe: Jette VirdiBallymaloe)

You Might Also Like

• Reply Lori April 29, 2014 at 4:37 pm

Hi Rincy, the bread looks yummy! The photo of the greens actually looks like you used Ramps or wild leeks. Wild onions and wild garlic do not have leaves like that.

• Reply Juliane April 29, 2014 at 7:34 pm

@ Lori, there are different names for allium ursinum in different english-speaking countries. I call these greens ramsons, but they are also known as wild garlic or bear leek.

On a side note, I would not recommend to pick ramsons in the woods if people aren’t 100% certain of what they put in their basket. Many only go after the strong scent – but after having picked a few leaves, even a tulip would smell garlic.

There are a few poisonous flowers that look quite similar to ramsons, such as lily of the valley, snakeshead or autumn crocus (colchicum autumnale), the latter is deadly poisonous, five leaves in your ramsons pesto would be enough. Although it is rather not so common, I have seen all three flowers growing in the same places as ramsons here in Sweden, and even though I know the differences in the characteristics of each plant, I always check every leaf I pick twice ;-)

Thank you, Rincy, for the wild garlic bread recipe – I will definitely give it a try!

• Reply Maria | April 29, 2014 at 7:38 pm

Ah, the bread looks so yummy ♥

xo Maria

• Reply Rincy K April 29, 2014 at 8:18 pm

Hi Lori! Thanks for your comment. It was a lovely bread– maybe it’s the picture? But definitely wild garlic leaves, resident foodie in tow with us to steer us right :)

• Reply Andrea April 29, 2014 at 8:49 pm

My husband makes me go hunt for these every year (we call them Ramps / Wild Leeks), i will definitely try this bread recipe! Thank you.

• Reply Aidel.K April 29, 2014 at 9:45 pm

For those of us now nervous about finding wild garlic (see Juliane’s comment), is there a substitute? Would scallions work? This bread looks wonderful–lovely idea.

• Reply decor8 April 30, 2014 at 12:27 am

We have this wild garlic growing in the forest behind my house here in Germany – it is the same as they have in Ireland. Only we call it Bärlauch. I’m not nervous to pick it and try this recipe. My goodness, some people still live on plants and stuff they hunt and pick in the wild, not everyone has grocery stores and farmers’ markets, I think we all could stand to be a little more independent sometimes and learn more to live off of the land. We’re all so super dependent on stores to provide everything we eat – it’s kind of sad honestly. In my forest, I see people foraging for mushrooms a lot – and we have poison ones there and others that are totally edible, and I feel like an idiot because I don’t know the difference. This is what I mean, why don’t I learn?! Because I can go buy them and let someone else tell me what I can eat. It’s sad really.

• Reply Juliane April 30, 2014 at 1:06 am

Instead of wild garlic, you could use rucola or herbs such as parsley, chervil or tarragon. But if you are lucky, you can also find wild garlic in the shops.

Else I’d recommend that you simply ask someone who can explain the different characteristics of the plant (and its poisonous friends) to you and maybe goes foraging together with you. Once you have seen wild garlic, autumn crocus and lily of the valley with your very eyes (not just in a book or on a screen), it is quite easy to tell them apart. Best season is to pick it before it starts blooming, the leaves will taste bitter later in spring.

• Reply Eric April 30, 2014 at 2:23 am

Wow! That looks Amazing right now! That would be so good with a great big hunk of steaming,saucy Lasagna!

• Reply Jennifer May 2, 2014 at 9:27 pm

That looks yummy. I’m gonna have to try some, but I’ll have to patiently wait for parsley.

• Reply Joy May 3, 2014 at 1:21 pm

We call these ramps here in the mountains of western NC and the ones on my farm came up a couple weeks ago. Imagine how people longed for something green after surviving on winter stores of potatoes and root vegetables. Besides being one of the first spring greens, they are also beautiful plants and a hillside of scattered ramps is a lovely sight indeed.

• Reply Blenda May 3, 2014 at 5:45 pm

Thanks for sharing your recipe! Can’t wait to try this…there nothing like the smell of fresh baked bread.

• Reply Orla Trappe May 6, 2014 at 11:19 am

Just wondering if the raising agent is missing from the recipe for the wild garlic bread? I think it needs bicarbonate of soda or bread soda?