Simple Times: Wild Garlic Bread Recipe

Hello lovely decor8 readers! It’s Rincy again with another Simple Times post. How have you all been doing? While the year started off slowly for some of us, life is well and truly catching up this month. Cherry blossoms, florals and herbs are bursting on the scene with such humbling beauty it’s impossible not to be infected with that spring spirit. A few weeks ago, one of our friends broke the mould of a seasonal gathering and led us out for an afternoon of foraging wild garlic. What followed thereafter was six hours of real conversation, a shared meal over bread and dips and that feeling of ‘why didn’t we do this sooner’? There really is something about breaking bread together that draws friendships closer.

bread2

bread3

bread4

bread1

bread6

bread5

Here’s hoping that this encourages you to do the same this month. This bread recipe is one of the simplest to put together and a complete treat to accompany any meal.

Wild Garlic Bread -
Recipe courtesy of Jette Virdi (adapted from Ballymaloe)

450g plain flour
12-14fl oz butter milk [if you don't have butter milk: try regular milk with juice of 1 lemon squeezed in, stirred and left for a little. should go a little thicker/lumpier]
pinch of salt
big handful of wild garlic

Preheat oven to 230C, Mix flour, salt and wild garlic. Add half milk and mix in circular motion. Then add remaining milk in stages. Once it comes together turn out dough onto lightly floured surface then make it round. Try not to play around with it too much as it will lose it’s ‘rise’. Cook for 15mins at 230C then turn oven down to 200C and cook for roughly 30-40mins. To check if cooked, turn upside down and tap the bottom, should sound hollow if cooked.

Words/Images: Rincy, Food + Recipe: Jette VirdiBallymaloe)

Posted by decor8 in Simple Times on April 29, 2014

1. Lori commented
    April 29th, 2014 at 4:37pm

Hi Rincy, the bread looks yummy! The photo of the greens actually looks like you used Ramps or wild leeks. Wild onions and wild garlic do not have leaves like that.

2. Juliane commented
    April 29th, 2014 at 7:34pm

Lori,

@ Lori, there are different names for allium ursinum in different english-speaking countries. I call these greens ramsons, but they are also known as wild garlic or bear leek.

On a side note, I would not recommend to pick ramsons in the woods if people aren’t 100% certain of what they put in their basket. Many only go after the strong scent – but after having picked a few leaves, even a tulip would smell garlic.

There are a few poisonous flowers that look quite similar to ramsons, such as lily of the valley, snakeshead or autumn crocus (colchicum autumnale), the latter is deadly poisonous, five leaves in your ramsons pesto would be enough. Although it is rather not so common, I have seen all three flowers growing in the same places as ramsons here in Sweden, and even though I know the differences in the characteristics of each plant, I always check every leaf I pick twice ;-)

Thank you, Rincy, for the wild garlic bread recipe – I will definitely give it a try!

3. Maria | marygoesround.de commented
    April 29th, 2014 at 7:38pm

Ah, the bread looks so yummy ♥

xo Maria

Maria | marygoesround.de´s last blog post ..Scrapbooking Layout: 1. Brei

4. Rincy K commented
    April 29th, 2014 at 8:18pm

Hi Lori! Thanks for your comment. It was a lovely bread– maybe it’s the picture? But definitely wild garlic leaves, resident foodie in tow with us to steer us right :)
    Rincy K´s last blog post ..For you

5. Andrea commented
    April 29th, 2014 at 8:49pm

My husband makes me go hunt for these every year (we call them Ramps / Wild Leeks), i will definitely try this bread recipe! Thank you.

6. Aidel.K commented
    April 29th, 2014 at 9:45pm

For those of us now nervous about finding wild garlic (see Juliane’s comment), is there a substitute? Would scallions work? This bread looks wonderful–lovely idea.

7. decor8 commented
    April 30th, 2014 at 12:27am

We have this wild garlic growing in the forest behind my house here in Germany – it is the same as they have in Ireland. Only we call it Bärlauch. I’m not nervous to pick it and try this recipe. My goodness, some people still live on plants and stuff they hunt and pick in the wild, not everyone has grocery stores and farmers’ markets, I think we all could stand to be a little more independent sometimes and learn more to live off of the land. We’re all so super dependent on stores to provide everything we eat – it’s kind of sad honestly. In my forest, I see people foraging for mushrooms a lot – and we have poison ones there and others that are totally edible, and I feel like an idiot because I don’t know the difference. This is what I mean, why don’t I learn?! Because I can go buy them and let someone else tell me what I can eat. It’s sad really.

8. Juliane commented
    April 30th, 2014 at 1:06am

Aidel.K,

Instead of wild garlic, you could use rucola or herbs such as parsley, chervil or tarragon. But if you are lucky, you can also find wild garlic in the shops.

Else I’d recommend that you simply ask someone who can explain the different characteristics of the plant (and its poisonous friends) to you and maybe goes foraging together with you. Once you have seen wild garlic, autumn crocus and lily of the valley with your very eyes (not just in a book or on a screen), it is quite easy to tell them apart. Best season is to pick it before it starts blooming, the leaves will taste bitter later in spring.

9. Eric commented
    April 30th, 2014 at 2:23am

Wow! That looks Amazing right now! That would be so good with a great big hunk of steaming,saucy Lasagna!

10. Jennifer commented
    May 2nd, 2014 at 9:27pm

That looks yummy. I’m gonna have to try some, but I’ll have to patiently wait for parsley.

11. Joy commented
    May 3rd, 2014 at 1:21pm

We call these ramps here in the mountains of western NC and the ones on my farm came up a couple weeks ago. Imagine how people longed for something green after surviving on winter stores of potatoes and root vegetables. Besides being one of the first spring greens, they are also beautiful plants and a hillside of scattered ramps is a lovely sight indeed.
    Joy´s last blog post ..Bohemian Dreams Pillowcase Whimsical Aqua Orange Paisley by JoyfulLinens

12. Blenda commented
    May 3rd, 2014 at 5:45pm

Thanks for sharing your recipe! Can’t wait to try this…there nothing like the smell of fresh baked bread.
    Blenda´s last blog post ..Wednesday Words: Somewhere Over the Rainbow

13. Orla Trappe commented
    May 6th, 2014 at 11:19am

Hi

Just wondering if the raising agent is missing from the recipe for the wild garlic bread? I think it needs bicarbonate of soda or bread soda?

Orla