uncategorized

Happy Mother’s Day (to many types of ladies)

May 11, 2014

Hello everyone. I want to first say Happy Mother’s Day to those of you who read this blog and have beautiful children that you cherish enormously, make huge sacrifices for, and do everything you can to make happy. You rock. As a new mother, I can relate to being a mom finally and it feels really, really good. It is the best thing that ever happened to me in my life to give birth to my little boy. But this post is also to other ladies out there who maybe had children and lost them (miscarriage, stillbirth, health problems, accidents, etc.) and to those other wonderful ladies who want children so badly but cannot have them due to health issues – of course you can adopt which is actually the most beautiful thing a woman can do in addition to having her own child, but some of you cannot adopt either because you aren’t financially in that space or it is taking forever to find a child to adopt. In any case, I want to give you all a huge hug, tons of support and love, and much faith that things somehow work out in the long run, in some way, some how. I want to wish you all a happy mother’s day. Let me introduce to you two sisters, one is my mother and the other, my aunt. One is a mother, one never could be.

Happy Mothers Day (to many types of ladies)

This is my mother in her graduation photo taken in the 1960s. Beautiful, right? She is flying here to see us and meet her first grandchild, Aidan our son, in less than two weeks. We can’t wait to welcome her! My mother only had me – she may have had more children but her marriage to my father wasn’t a strong or loving one. In fact, I was born right after they separated (and got back together) when she was 24 years old. Within a few months after they jump started their marriage again, she was pregnant with me and then, I was born. If they’d hadn’t gotten back together, I wouldn’t be here today. So I’m grateful they gave it a second change. I’m an only child and though I would have loved to have had a brother, it just wasn’t possible. I respected my mother’s decision to just have me and grew up feeling very honored and happy to have her all to myself in many ways. She was and still is a wonderful mother. I can’t wait to introduce her to my son!

Happy Mothers Day (to many types of ladies)

See this lady above? This is my mother’s sister. She passed away from cancer in her early 40’s. She always wanted children, so very badly in fact, but her health wouldn’t allow for it. Instead of letting it destroy her (she was so in love with kids!), she used her talent as a fine artist to also teach her methods to children and adults alike. She had her own school! When she died, her young students attended her services and made her beautiful goodbye gifts. She also treated me like gold and as her own daughter. She sent me lovely handmade gifts growing up from her travels, including things she made for me – art, a dollhouse, clothing, bears, dolls, etc. She and my mother put art, craft and a love for decorating and flowers into my heart as a wee little girl and today, my career is based around the very things she and my mother helped grow in me. I put her photo somewhere in all of my books, in fact – not in obvious places but I know they’re there. She is always with me. I will always love her. She may not have been my mother, or anyone else’s mother, but she was a born mother in any case – tender, loving, warm, giving and completely in love with little ones.

Again, I wish all of you ladies a beautiful mother’s day. ALL of you, in whatever circumstances you are in. I say this because I remember when mother’s day came and went each year and I still didn’t have a baby to call my own. Sometimes I would sit on my bed huddled up in a ball and just sob in my pillow – I didn’t understand how I’d ever have time to have a family, if I even could get pregnant once I did try, I wanted a little one so badly but the years rolled by and I thought I had plenty of time. Last year I realized I didn’t and decided it was now or never and I very luckily, almost miraculously, got pregnant for the first time with no help. And now my son is 3 months old and purring nearby sleeping as I type this. I never felt so much love in my life.

So to all of you ladies out there: Happy Mother’s Day.

– Holly xo

You Might Also Like

26 Comments

• Reply Rincy K May 11, 2014 at 6:46 pm

Love you Holly Becker. What a beautiful mother, inspiring woman and all around lovely human being you are. Happiest Mother’s day to you and your gorgeous mama! x

• Reply Rincy K May 11, 2014 at 6:47 pm

And of course, very much so to your lovely Auntie! x

• Reply Jenny - Hemtrender May 11, 2014 at 7:22 pm

Very nice pictures! Here in sweden Mothers day is in a few weeks so it´s great to get some tips now before :)

• Reply Maria May 11, 2014 at 7:37 pm

Sorry for, that you have to miss your “Mother-Aunt”. I am pretty sure, that she is still by your side and that she is absolutely proud of your wonderful son – your happy family! Enjoy the time with your mother – enjoy this day!
    Maria- proud & happy mother of 4

• Reply Ani May 11, 2014 at 8:31 pm

Beautiful post, Holly. Happy Mother’s Day!

• Reply Traci May 11, 2014 at 9:07 pm

Happy Mother’s Day to you. Beautifully written!

• Reply Darcy May 11, 2014 at 9:22 pm

What a beautiful post. As someone who both struggles with infertility and has a daughter who was stillborn earlier this year, your post was particularly meaningful and brought tears to my eyes. Thank you.

• Reply Megan@meandwee May 12, 2014 at 12:55 am

Happy Mother’s Day to you Holly! Thank you for sharing the stories of your Mom and your wonderful Aunt. Mothering takes on many shapes and your Aunt clearly exemplified that. Thank you, also, for remembering all those who are mothering their dreams to have a family of their own. It is a difficult and sometimes treacherous road that I know all too well. Not a day goes by where I am not grateful for my blessings.

• Reply Nuura Axmed May 12, 2014 at 1:18 am

What a gorgeous and provoking piece x

• Reply Lauren May 12, 2014 at 1:29 am

Happy Mother’s day to you! I just wanted to write a quick note of thanks for your lovely post. As someone struggling post-miscarriage and with fertility issues, days like this can be really difficult. Your post made me feel a little less forgotten and left out. xo

• Reply decor8 May 12, 2014 at 6:22 pm

@Lauren – Ah Lauren that is great to know. xo

• Reply Shalagh Hogan May 12, 2014 at 3:35 am

Holly,
    So very nice to know your family story. Glad you had the benefit of two Mamas. Explains a bit about you and your self assurance. And the day you allowed yourself to then become a Mama too was a miraculous gift to them and you. Full circle. Happy Mother’s Day, Mama, teacher, and friend.
    Love,
    Shalagh

• Reply Jill May 12, 2014 at 3:53 am

Happy Mother’s Day Holly! What a lovely post! I’m so happy that your mom is coming to see her grandson.

• Reply Kate @ Songs Kate Sang May 12, 2014 at 6:39 am

Happy Mother’s Day!

• Reply Ursula Rosien May 12, 2014 at 8:04 am

I also have a mother-auntie and I love her dearly. She took care of me as a baby when my mom was sick. Thank you for this beautiful post!

• Reply Toni May 12, 2014 at 10:29 am

Such a lovely, lovely post. Your Mother and your Aunt are beautiful too! Happy Mother’s Day!

• Reply Lauren May 12, 2014 at 10:34 am

Happy Mother’s Day for yesterday Holly x

• Reply Cathy May 12, 2014 at 11:04 am

Oh Holly – you are so very special and what you have written is so sensitive. I waited to meet the right man, and now after almost 5 years of marriage and a very long and hard, hard struggle (including 3 miscarriages) I am now 31 weeks pregnant with my little girl (at age 43!!). Yesterday was the first time in a long time that I was happy to celebrate Mothers Day, knowing that next year I will celebrate as a Mom. I am so happy for you and watch Aiden’s progress constantly. Thank you for sharing and inspiring!!!! xx

• Reply decor8 May 12, 2014 at 6:21 pm

@Cathy – Congrats, that is wonderful!!!! I am so happy for you! CONGRATS!!!

• Reply Lucy Chen May 12, 2014 at 11:34 am

Happy Mother’s Day to you, too, Holly! Enjoy your first as a mum!

• Reply Margarita Lorenzo May 12, 2014 at 1:09 pm

The same goes to you lady mum! and the rest of amazing women/mothers out there. I got the most amazing mother myself, who has always been and continues to be for us there, she travels to Germany, London and Prague to be with her kids, and enjoy every minute of it. I am very happy for you all that your mum is coming to stay, I always find when mine is here that my heart is full and at peace.
    Lots of love from London, and yeah and I may see u on the 22!!

• Reply Lida May 12, 2014 at 4:47 pm

What a great tribute! Happy Mother’s Day.

• Reply Kim B. May 13, 2014 at 8:07 am

A really thoughtful and loving post, Holly. Your compassion is so evident!! Thank you for taking the time to articulate these sweet thoughts.

• Reply Laura June 11, 2014 at 6:01 pm

Hello, this is a very beautiful post and so thoughtful of you to remember all kinds of mothers. My twin boys were stillborn earlier this year and it is with out doubt the most painful experience of my life, but with that said it was the most beautiful experience to give birth to them, although they are no longer here they are my babies and I am still their mother. I feel so blessed to have been given the opportunity to hold them and to love them.

Thank you for remembering all mothers
    Love to you on your new journey

• Reply Shashi June 27, 2014 at 5:51 pm

What a tender, loving message, Holly. Your mom and her sister obviously transmitted to you the values you hold so dear in them. The torch of love is passed…not it is your turn. Life is beautiful.

• Reply Shashi June 27, 2014 at 5:51 pm

oops, I meant NOW it is your turn!