Food In Motion: Strawberry-Layered Chocolate Cookies Recipe

Would you like to make some Strawberry-Layered Chocolate Cookies with me today? Hello, it’s Liz from Liz & Jewels with another episode of Food in Motion for decor8. I’ve been longing for strawberry season, and am SO happy it’s now on! My picky 4-year-old daughter happens to love them too, so we share a passion for the little sweet & red fruit. We started planting our own strawberry plants a few weeks ago in our greenhouse and it’s so much fun seeing how their pretty blossoms come out, then produce the fruit and turn into these delicous red berries. It’s even more fun to see my daughter’s eyes light up when she discovered the first berries. It was obvious we should bake something this time using our strawberries. I opted for an easy and child-friendly chocolate cookie recipe, filled with cream and strawberries and topped with a second cookie. These little delicious stacks were devoured in no time!

Strawberry Plants

While I was working on the little film, I was also negotiating with a girl in California named Taylor, wrapping up the deal that she would come visit us this summer to be our AuPair for two months. We were emailing and talking through our summer plans when she told me that she was also a musician and songwriter. I asked her if she would send me some of her music, and she sent me her song „home“! I listened to it and really liked Taylor’s music! The song fit in with the theme of my film perfectly because that is exactly what I felt filming my daughter in the greenhouse and baking with me. These small things make me feel ‘home’!

Strawberry-Layered Chocolate Cookies (makes 10)

1 cup of butter
1 cup powdered sugar
pinch of salt
1 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
6 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa
2 oz semi-sweet chocolate
whipping cream
strawberries

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a bowl, beat the butter and sift in the sugar and salt. Add flour, baking powder, vanilla extract and cocoa and mix with the electric mixer. Chop the chocolate into little pieces and add to the dough. Knead with hands, form a ball and place it on a lightly floured work surface. Roll it out to 1/6 inches thickness. Use a round cookie cutter (approx. 3 inches diameter) and cut dough into rounds. Transfer cookies to baking sheets, bake for 10-12 minutes and let cool.

Beat the cream into whip cream and put a dollop onto half of the cookies. Cut the strawberries in small pieces and place them on top of the cream. Assemble a second cookie on top, sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve.

Strawberry Stacks
What makes you feel ‘home’? Please feel free to comment below. – See you next month! – Liz

(images/text/video: Liz & Jewels)

Posted by decor8 in food, Food In Motion on May 12, 2014

1. The Daydreamer commented
    May 12th, 2014 at 11:36pm

Lovely movie – it made me think of my daughter when she helps me bake cookies :-) thank you for the poetic pause ladies.

2. Jane commented
    May 13th, 2014 at 2:25am

How does one turn off the music?

3. Münstermama commented
    May 13th, 2014 at 7:13am

Da schlagen nicht nur Mutterherzen höher. Danke Lisa, deine Kleine ist ganz zauberhaft und das Kekstörtchen auch! ;)
    Münstermama´s last blog post ..Alltagsgeschichten #3

4. mel commented
    May 13th, 2014 at 10:41am

Your little girl is such a fine little helper Liz, she’s so luck to be exposed to real cooking. When I think of “home” it is very much family time around the table over real food… Your aupair has some real talent, it’s a great song and a perfect fit indeed. Mel xx
    mel´s last blog post ..Instagram Talk | Hilde Mork

5. Liz commented
    May 13th, 2014 at 1:04pm

The Daydreamer,

thank you so much!
    Liz´s last blog post ..Not white! Green!

6. Liz commented
    May 13th, 2014 at 1:06pm

mel,

thanks, Mel! We’re all looking forward to having our singing Aupair with us in summer!
    best, Liz
    Liz´s last blog post ..Not white! Green!

7. Liz commented
    May 13th, 2014 at 1:06pm

mel,

best, Liz
    Liz´s last blog post ..Not white! Green!

8. Liz commented
    May 13th, 2014 at 1:07pm

Münstermama,

Mein Herz schlägt auch jedes mal höher :-)
    Danke, Leila
    Liz´s last blog post ..Not white! Green!

9. Liz commented
    May 13th, 2014 at 1:08pm

Jane,

…next to the word “HD” are little lines. Click on them and the music can be turned off.
    Liz´s last blog post ..Not white! Green!

10. Maria commented
    May 13th, 2014 at 1:56pm

What a lovely movie with such cute hands helping! Looks so yummy! :)
    Maria´s last blog post ..How cool! Looking Live at Earth from the International Space Station. How does it look like?

11. Maria commented
    May 13th, 2014 at 1:56pm

What a lovely movie with such cute hands helping! Looks so yummy! :)

12. Marinda commented
    May 18th, 2014 at 2:03pm

Oh, this looks like something I will definitely try to make!
    I recently discovered that shortbread makes me feel like ‘home’, which is weird, because it is something I’ve only ever eaten in the UK, while I myself am Dutch. It’s just the texture and the warm flavour, I guess.
    Marinda´s last blog post ..Belated Brugge