Flokati Epic Fail + New Rug Ideas

Okay here’s the situation. The flokati rug in the nursery works. It does. But it also doesn’t. I love it – I really do, but it did shed a hella lot during the first two months and drove me nuts. Now, it’s fine but I really don’t want my baby crawling, drooling or playing on it once he’s off of my lap and racing about. I’m learning as I go with nursery design – totally normal. I think out of everything I got right in his room though, the flokati rug was definitely something I wouldn’t suggest to my clients for the long haul. The first 8 months, fine. I am glad though that my approach to nursery design was, from the start, that if it costs over $50 then it needs to be something I could move to another room and it would still fit in. In this case, I can easily move the gorgeous flokati to our guest bedroom in a few months, no sweat, no loss.

Daisy-Multi-Bedroom

I’m currently on the prowl for a new rug that is low pile and easy to clean so my son can crawl around on it and eventually race his little cars when he’s old enough. Even still, I want the next rug to be adult-friendly too so we can move it to another room if he decides he wants mommy to change up the color scheme later on. Or I simply decide I want to redecorate. Again.

rugs4

As I’m researching rugs, I came across Armadillo&Co on Instagram (of all places) and I found so many that I want to import here to Germany from Australia! They are PERFECT for what I’m talking about – low pile, stylish, modern, fun, easy to care for and can effortlessly blend into grown up spaces as well as kiddie rooms. Oh yeah.

Daisy-Fog-Bedroom

rugs2

simonehaag02

MG_9203-2217272204-O

rugs3

simonehaag02

0049

P.S. // I TOTALLY WANT the Flower Weave Marigold or the Daisy in our entryway now. I adore them so much. The Marigold shown above HAS MY HEART. I’m in the process of decorating our entry way and decided one of these rugs HAS to be in it. Now I just have to figure out how to get it up her from freakin’ Australia.

Love any of these rugs above? Did you think my flokati rug in the nursery was an epic fail, too? After living with it for a few months, it sorta is.

(images: armadillo&co)

Posted by decor8 in shopping on May 18, 2014

1. April commented
    May 18th, 2014 at 4:34pm

Hi Holly! I’ve been reading your blog for quite a few years now, but never commented on it… Well, better late than never!

I totally understand why you fell in love with the flokati rug, it is really awesome! Yet, I wouldn’t call that an epic fail: as you said, you are currently learning the best tricks in nursery design. Your experience will surely be of great help to many of us! And buying items that can easily be used in other rooms is a great idea.

Have a nice day!
    April´s last blog post ..Fragment of inspiration

2. michele commented
    May 18th, 2014 at 4:42pm

Babies obviously don’t crawl forever but natural fiber rugs do not feel good on bare knees. Just something to consider. The marigold rug is stunning and so unique. I had a flokati in the playroom. Was difficult to clean. I felt a little silly for buying it. :)

3. Elissa commented
    May 18th, 2014 at 4:49pm

I love Armadillo & Co and the best part is that they’re fair trade. The designs you’ve chosen would all look great in a nursery (and a grown-up room).

4. mijk commented
    May 18th, 2014 at 5:08pm

It needs to Be soft on bare skin. He Will crawl on it. My daughter ended op with sisal fragments in the skin of het knees. That hurt….

5. decor8 commented
    May 18th, 2014 at 5:58pm

@mijk – Yes, good thinking!

6. decor8 commented
    May 18th, 2014 at 5:59pm

@Michele – Yeah, I hear ya on the flokati. I’ll keep it in Aidan’s room until Fall then I’m swapping it for a flat weave and something wool or cotton – no jute or natural fibers because you’re right – I imagine crawling on it would not feel good. I want the marigold for my entryway though, god it’s gorgeous.

7. decor8 commented
    May 18th, 2014 at 6:00pm

@April – Oh April you are soooo sweet but it’s okay, I’m not afraid to say that long term this was not a great choice! But it does look beautiful and I must say that I’ve loved having it in the space.

8. Ola commented
    May 18th, 2014 at 6:04pm

Hi Holly!

I can not recommend enough the rugs from Restoration Hardware kids line. I got one, pink blush if I remember right and its just great – looks great, durable, not a single spot on it though its i the kids room and I can easily move it to my room and it will still look great! check it out! Kisses!
    Ola´s last blog post ..Rose trend

9. Erin Frost commented
    May 18th, 2014 at 7:17pm

I see flokatis and white rugs used in so many styled children’s spaces. Perfect for late night nursing, rocking, and pacing with bare feet. We have used a mixture of the *Flor tiles and a lush pile rug (like your pom pom rug) in our sons room/playarea. The *Flor tiles have been moved (3 apartments) and rearranged more times than I can count. I have cut them up to make patterns, added new colors and textures as his room decor has changed and matured. They clean up so easily, I have been able to find a use for them in each of our homes. Our vintage Flokati is in our living room laying over a 15′ x 12′ pad of Flor tiles. We live in downtown Boston in a loft so it defines our living space and provides great texture and warmth to our space during the cooler months. My son (now 6) plays on both, he prefers the Flokati for “wilderness” terrain for his trucks.

* I don’t work for Flor but I wished I had an employee discount. They can be a a bit expensive.

10. Ann commented
    May 18th, 2014 at 7:17pm

You could always make a lovely customized rug using flor carpet tiles ;)

11. Beth commented
    May 18th, 2014 at 8:02pm

I have to say, I’ve fallen in love with carpet tiles. It’s so easy to pull one up, hose it off, and put it back. Or in extreme cases I always get a few extra. I know Flor is the typical go to, but we’ve found lots of amazing deals on other brands of carpet tile and super fun patterns.

12. katerina@lexandliv commented
    May 18th, 2014 at 8:35pm

I suggest taking a look at flor.com. I love the colourful, graphic options available with carpet tiles. I’ve purchased from them twice and have never had a problem with shedding. Plus they come in various softness and pile heights. They’re easy to clean too. I used a generic non skid carpet pad underneath rather than the sticky floor dots.

13. Pinelopi commented
    May 18th, 2014 at 9:08pm

Oh my, this marigold is amazing!!!!! I’m still far away from baby thinking to feel what you’re saying, but I can understand it. A lot to think as decorating a nursery. But this marigold I loved it, I must figure a way to have it, it’s a jewlery!!
    Pinelopi´s last blog post ..The great outdoors

14. Alison Gibb commented
    May 18th, 2014 at 9:34pm

Sorry Holly – you will hate me for saying this- but the best rug you can buy for Aiden is a rug picturing roads and houses abd trees that he can play with his toy cars on!! xx
    Alison Gibb´s last blog post ..Gardening

15. Alison Gibb commented
    May 18th, 2014 at 9:34pm

Sorry Holly – you will hate me for saying this- but the best rug you can buy for Aiden is a rug picturing roads and houses and trees that he can play with his toy cars on!! xx

16. Hazel commented
    May 18th, 2014 at 9:38pm

Have you looked on the home section of Urban Oufitters, amongst the novelty often trashy items they often have a few gems hidden, good luck with the hunt. I was lucky with my son as he missed out the crawling period and he went straight to walking so I didn’t have to move my lovely sheepskin however he still managed to ruin it!

17. maks commented
    May 18th, 2014 at 9:59pm

Hi Holly,

as great as the sisal rugs look, for a children’s room I would always recommend a rug you can just throw in the wash. I really like the colorful rugs (wool?) with the graphical patterns you picked. If you pick a more neutral color combo you can use them for any room, really. If its chocolate or ink, a wet milk burb or even worse you will be happy if you can clean it easily without having to take the rug to the dry cleaners every time – just my personal experience. And there’s nothing wrong with finding out what works for you and what doesn’t by trial and error ;-)
    maks´s last blog post ..More Party pics…

18. Kim Knox-Thurn commented
    May 18th, 2014 at 9:59pm

Hi Holly. They’re stunning rugs and such beautiful quality. The colours are vibrant and they’re well made. You’ll love them! Kim @ The Style Project.

19. Alexandra commented
    May 18th, 2014 at 10:07pm

Dear Holly – I’m so sorry that you are unhappy with your beautiful Flokati. They should have told you, Flokatis are not meant for nurseries. I’ve been selling them for very long, ours even say “not for infants” on the label.
    The shedding will stop, as it’s just the surplus of wool from the weaving – but that may take a while (and some vacum cleaner bags)
    Apart from that, Flokatis are pretty low maintenance. As long as it’s a real one (woven, not tufted) you can simply put in the washing machine (your’s seems pretty big, you might have to use the big machines in the laundromat. They have them for sleeping bags and stuff like that) There are very few kinds of carpets which can stand that treatment – and will be that clean afterwards!

So pleease don’t blame it on the Flokati, but on the person who sold it to you. Flokatis are a very traditional, pure nature and century proven design item. Once it has lost it’s surplus wool you’re gonna love it!

And in the meantime, I’m sure your gonna find something beautiful and cozy for your nursery – whom, if not you ;)

Love
    Alexandra

PS I hope you don’t fell offended, I’m definetely not blaming you for choosing the Flokati, but the salesperson. :)
    Alexandra´s last blog post ..Trödel, Antikes und Trouvaillen – Junk shopping

20. Valentina commented
    May 18th, 2014 at 10:29pm

I do not think that FDlokati rug was a fail. It looks gorgeous and it is natural fiber an so very soft and wellcoming. Now you can move it somwere else, it is not that you gonna waist that money and throw it away.
    I’m planning redecoration of my teenager son. He just turned 14 so he do not fit in his “little boy” decorated room any more. I’m thinking to buy Flokati rug for him – he and his frends like to sit on the flor :).
    For Aidan I think flat waved rug would be perfect, when he start to explore around the room.
    Thanx you for Armadillo & Co link, love their rugs!

21. Juice Berlin commented
    May 19th, 2014 at 12:09am

Armadillo&Co!…. my absolute favourite rug company in the world!
    I have their rugs in my home and they are just divine. I have one in each kids room, both HEMP, which is very different to SISAL… Hemp is super soft and only continues to get softer with wear, SISAL doesn’t and will skin your little ones knees!
    These rugs are a no brainer for kids rooms! Decorative, beautiful, soft and the best part of all is that you know they have been made by hand, AND they give back to the communities where the rugs are made! Can you tell how much I love these rugs :) I’ve done my research!

22. John Trosko commented
    May 19th, 2014 at 2:34am

I can surely see how rug sourcing would drive someone nuts… I read some articles online when I got wall to wall sisal and they smell (since then, my rug stopped smelling thank goodness!) But also a lot of rugs that are imported have chemicals, stain resistant dips, and things your baby probably should not come in contact with. So I am stumped myself. It took me FOREVER to choose a rug for my pool guesthouse (wall to wall) but I am happy now. Sisal of course is not for kids… but mine is nice and soft… maybe not so on my knees but it’s fine. Good luck to you Holly.

John aka OrganizingLA
    John Trosko´s last blog post ..John’s Spring Organization Tips Featured in May 2014 Real Simple Magazine

23. Kristin Nicholas commented
    May 19th, 2014 at 4:18am

I think the flokati although hard to clean would be way more appealing texture wise to a small person w sensitive knees. Those sisal rugs although stunning would hurt like heck on his little knees. Good luck. Parenthood like everything is a learning experience. You are doing grand.

24. lavannya commented
    May 19th, 2014 at 4:23am

I just love these Rugs so much. They are amazing!

25. Jodie commented
    May 19th, 2014 at 5:04am

Hi Holly! It’s Jodie here from Armadillo&Co. So glad you found us! I was just reading through the comments and wanted to let you know all our flower rugs are made from Bangladeshi hemp (not Sisal) which is incredibly soft and gets even softer after use.

All the rugs have been tried and tested on all our Armadillo&Co babies (especially my 2 boys – 2 and half old and 1 year old) and truly – any of them will work – but just wanted to let you know they are all very soft and are not made from sisal. :)

Happy decision making – you know where to find us if you need any help!
    Jodie
    x

26. scrapbook of style commented
    May 19th, 2014 at 6:01am

I also love Armadillo & Co rugs (especially since I live in Australia)! They are totally gorgeous. However, I do agree that jute rugs can be hard on the knees. Check if they have a jet and wool mixed together. That’s what I have in my living area and its’ really comfy.

27. Cloé commented
    May 19th, 2014 at 8:46am

It’s definitely not a complete fail, you can move it to another room for now as you said, and I think your little one will love a soft and fluffy rug like that to read or relax in a few years !

That said, I am in love with this pink chevron rug !
    Cloé´s last blog post ..Nail Polish of the Week

28. Jodie commented
    May 19th, 2014 at 10:03am

The flokati does look gorgeous but I hear you on the shedding issue! I used a large rectangle curly cut sheepskin in my bedroom. It has a very similar look but with no shedding and my children adore rolling around on it!

29. Kymmie commented
    May 19th, 2014 at 10:13am

Hi Holly,
    Also an aussie ;)
    I have jute rugs in my living areas as they are great for catching the kiddies crumbs but personally I would go with something soft like wool that can easily be cleaned by a professional when needed. then again what’s the harm in a cheap thrill from Ikea…..I still have mine 9 yrs on as It’s machine washable. it’s survived my twins and currently my 4 yr old. I’m no designer but I get a lot of inspiration from your blog. Have you heard yet that sheepskin encourages growth in babies?? Great for tummy time, keeps you cool in summer and warm in winter.
    x

30. Polly Rowan commented
    May 19th, 2014 at 12:48pm

Great finds! I really love the geometric or chevron patterned ones. Thanks for sharing what you learnt with us :) shame about the rug but I’m sure you’ll pick out a gorgeous replacement!
    Polly Rowan´s last blog post ..IT’S OK

31. Petra commented
    May 19th, 2014 at 2:57pm

Hi Holly, I really love this rugs and the fact that most of the material is fair trade. Glad that they ship internationally! Cheers from Hamburg, Germany, Petra

32. Debbie commented
    May 19th, 2014 at 5:20pm

Have to agree with the person above on the rug with the roads and cars. Your son will love it and the price (Ikea) makes it easily disposable when he tires of it. I believe you are overthinking this because in your designer’s eye it must “fit”. The older he gets the more you will have to let that go. It is his room and it needs to be comfortable for him. Just shut the door for 18 years. It’s what most parents do.

33. Lauren commented
    May 19th, 2014 at 7:01pm

Hello,
    As other readers explained before me, babies and children need soft rugs because other types of rugs will hurt their knees when they crawl and play. Often, they will hurt your knees as well when you play with your baby. It is also a good idea to use patterned rugs because you will inevitably have stains that might not come off easily…and stains are usually less visible on patterned rugs or rugs with different colors. Rugs with long hair are a problem when the child plays with legos (hidden pieces). In the end, we all learn through our mistakes. Besides, as parents, we always make mistakes, unfortunately. Me included ! I often laugh when I see certain pictures of (supposedly) children’s rooms in magazines or catalogues. Some of the rooms they picture are just “fake” or not child-friendly at all. White walls that remain white ? Really ?!?!? Perfect stacks of books on the floor ? Stacks of anything that could fall ? Really ??? It is all marketing, of course, as we parents want children’s rooms to look a certain way… (usually quiet, soft and pretty) and those pictures sell a “dream” more than they represent reality. For instance, there is no chance that the boy on the picture (in this post) carefully put all his toys on the different carpets. No way !! Boys that age will try to play everywhere, not only on the carpets. So, when you don’t have a child, you think :”Oh, yes, my son will play on the different carpets, that is neat”…but the reality is…he won’t. If he does, you need to worry as he is not exploring enough (!!). All pictures are staged, obviously, but it can become confusing when they represent children’s rooms. Same thing with colors. When I asked my children which colors they wanted in their rooms, believe me it was not the soft colors I myself wanted. I accepted, because it is their rooms after all. I get to decide on all the other rooms, why couldn’t they choose their room’s color (or toys, etc) ? It is part of their personality. If I think some toys are an eyesore, I put them in baskets or pretty wooden boxes or in the closet and everyone is happy ! (answer to a previous post). And yes, as another reader said, the carpet a boy will really love is a carpet with roads and houses. We have one that we roll out in the room from time to time (not a permanent fixture).
    My conclusion is that being a parent is all about learning from one’s mistakes and making compromises. It will always be like this, and that’s probably a good thing. I personally am learning a lot thanks to my children.
    All the best in this wonderful adventure !! You will be a great mom !
    Lauren

34. Nayla commented
    May 19th, 2014 at 8:20pm

I agree carpet tiles are great. As for that entry way, check out Serena and Lily, they have a similar one w/international shipping. :)

35. Laura Gaskill commented
    May 19th, 2014 at 9:12pm

I have to jump in and say, we’ve had a big round white sheepskin rug in Bix’s room since he was born, and it has been AWESOME for adults to sit on the floor & play, since it’s so much cushier than a typical rug.

But, I did avoid having him play on it when he was a very little babe…all that fur would definitely end up in his little mouth! Ew! I always thought I would replace it with something flat, but I never did!

Good luck on your rug hunt!
    Laura Gaskill´s last blog post ..Slow Decorating: Living Room Update

36. sarah.a commented
    May 19th, 2014 at 10:37pm

my daughter’s room has been a work in progress since we moved (when she turned one) so i agree with you than anything for the baby’s room needs to be able to be used elsewhere in the house. so rug not a fail (it’s too nice!) but rather things in your son’s room will evolve as he gets bigger. so that’s the view I’ve taken when decorating my daughter’s room.
    sarah.a´s last blog post ..the nursery [in my house]

37. Jenn commented
    May 20th, 2014 at 1:42am

I have an Armidillo & Co rug and its so soft and seems to get soafter over time! We love it!

38. Adrienne commented
    May 20th, 2014 at 6:51am

Hi Holly, As a mom of three, I have to agree with your conclusion about the flokati. It’s lovely, but not practical for babies or children. Not to be gross, but when considering a rug for my children’s rooms, I imagine what it would be like to clean up every type of body fluid on that type of rug. Again, this sounds pessimistic, but I promise you, that at some point, it will happen. You do not want to be cleaning vomit off of flokati, or jute for that matter. :) As mentioned above, Flor is a good option. Also some of the flat cotton rugs you have pictured would be good choices. Land of Nod and Serena and Lily have some stylish ones too. I love Aidan’s nursery by the way! Like you said, at least you can use the rug in another room. It’s always trial and error with kids!

39. Sarah commented
    May 20th, 2014 at 10:38am

Hi Holly, I have the flower weave Marigold Rug from Armadillo & Co in my home and I adore it. It’s actually quite soft to walk on and wears extremely well. I have three little boys and an inside puppy and it still looks amazing.

Sarah x

40. Ellen giggenbach commented
    May 21st, 2014 at 10:14am

I have just discovered a site called society6. You can design your own rug by simply uploading your own art or your child’s! Imagine a first finger painting!
    Such fun!

41. Andrea commented
    May 21st, 2014 at 12:05pm

I’m a big fan of that Orange striped rug, the one with the box crates in the background. Bold, simple, not fussy and practical, and grounding somehow which is good for a boy I think. Boys need grounding. Great for a boy of 1,2,3,4,12,18,even 20…if it were to last out mama’s design desires…which it sounds like it wouldn’t for longer than a few seasons. I understand completely those desires…just my budget wouldnt.

I have a persian carpet in my sons room…bright red with lots of colour….
    Andrea´s last blog post ..Blog design and a note on big photos

42. Andrea commented
    May 21st, 2014 at 12:09pm

Lauren,

You know there is an easy trick to solve the soft rug thing…you can have a kilim and make it as soft and cushy as you like..Foam underlays!!

We have kilims in the loungeroom with foam under, was perfect for crawling, and equally perfect for disguising toddler related and baby related stains!!
    Andrea´s last blog post ..Blog design and a note on big photos

43. Mary Williams commented
    May 22nd, 2014 at 2:49pm

The rug in the kids room is looking so coulorful. My son will surely like this one. Rugs with the shape geometric circle always looks special than the usual ones. Gonna check out all collections.

44. marilen commented
    May 22nd, 2014 at 5:03pm

Hi Holly,
    As an interior stylist and mom of two, I can relate with you. My children have asthma so I absolutely can not have much fibrous stuff around. For this reason I would skip the natural fiber and go for PVC rugs. I know they are not eco friendly but they are sure easier to clean and better for kids with allergies. I found Pappelina rugs which have gorgeous designs and are actually from Sweden! check this out: http://www.pappelina.com/ompappelina_eng.php
    Let me know what you think.

45. In a Trendy Town commented
    May 22nd, 2014 at 7:37pm

Every colorful detail is perfect for children!

In a Trendy Town´s last blog post ..Video outfit: 3 looks florales

46. Monika commented
    May 24th, 2014 at 2:25am

Hmm… the comment I posted yesterday never appeared so I will try again…

Holly, take some advice from someone who has actually done this — flokati rugs are great in the nursery! Don’t listen to the naysayers (who have never tried it, and so are just sharing their theories) — it’s far too soon to call it an epic fail!

I put a flokati rug in my daughter’s room over 10 years ago, and both she and the rug are still together and in great condition.

First off, flokati rugs SHED. They shed A LOT — when you first get them. Then they stop shedding. We got a flat tufted rug from IKEA, and it shed MORE than the flokati — and it never stopped shedding, even after 3 years, so we threw it out.

Second, I would argue that flokati rugs are ideal for kids rooms because they clean up so well. Now, my daughter never vomited, pooped or peed on the rug, but alas, our poor cat was once locked in for 12 hours. We just put it in our front loader (with some SportWash and Euclan) on the wool cycle, and tada — a soft, silky and completely stain-free flokati.

Third, NO rug is good to run cars on — the flokati is no exception there. Even those flat weave cotton rugs aren’t good for making cars zoom — only bare floors make good, fast surfaces.

Fourth, sisal is not a very good surface for crawlers — first, it can give painful sisal splinters, and second, it can give sisal scratches and sisal burns. Not comfy, not soft, not good for cars, and not good for babies.

So take it from someone with personal experience on this — flokatis can be great in baby and kid rooms!

47. Monika commented
    May 24th, 2014 at 2:29am

Just want to add that a flokati is so easy to clean because it does not have a hard backing — it is like a knit sweater — and so can easily be scrunched into a washing machine. You can’t do that with many types of rugs.

(and no, my daughter never tried to put it in her mouth)

48. Larissa commented
    May 24th, 2014 at 12:31pm

Hi Holly,

I think you are being quite hard in yourself , Aidan has an amazing room and some things that you chose may get moved about but that’s not a reflection on you at all:).
    I also have an Armadillo & Co rug and it has dealt well with my 3 children and parties we have held for them given its in our main living space.

We chose it also for our littlest one when she was about to crawl as we had the ikea jute one in its place before. We are very happy with it so far.

I do like their round ones but they are not in the colours I am after so I am considering some crochet round rugs for my childrens rooms but still unsure.

Looking forward to seeing the result and maybe get some samples sent to you so you can make a clear decision.

Take care Holly and always remind yourself what an absolutely amazing job you do each day for Aidan,

L

49. Capucine commented
    May 24th, 2014 at 10:55pm

We had several rugs and the keeper is a Moroccan one – I know you could get into the look of that, eh? We have two, both gifts, and a machine-made wool one from the urban looms in Rabat is slightly better because it is denser, shedless, and unscratchy. The other low pile tufted one is shedless as well and beloved by my kids. They dislike kilims for the scratchiness, not fun to sprawl out on in a pool of sunlight. We have cleaned them moroccan-style outside with the hose, they aren’t costly beni ourains so I don’t worry much over them.

And my little dude does drive his cars along the patterns, and the older ages use them as fences for farm animals. So you’re not wrong on the cars!

Thanks for the humorous ‘fail’ post. I look back at the nursery I made with such love and smile at myself. My favorite thing was a tall narrow pouf from Zid Zid kids that is totally unsittable and never got used by anyone at all. Fail. Best to you –

50. Alexandra commented
    May 25th, 2014 at 10:35am

Hi Holly!
    Amazing photos.I love it.I agree that kids carpets is very important choice.I love colours in a baby room and i know that from my kids that a flat weave rugs is always more useful for cleaning and for the kids to play on it.

51. Gabi Barbará commented
    May 26th, 2014 at 7:39am

I’m also looking for a nive colorful rug to add some color to my studio.
    It’s a small open space, So I was thinking in using rugs to like “separate” the bedroom from the kitchen and so.

Still didnt find one that I absolutely fall in love with tho…

I hope I find it soon.

xoxo from Manila,
    Gabi Barbará

Gabi Barbará´s last blog post ..The Lifestyle Challenge!

52. Sandra von 3-ZKB commented
    May 26th, 2014 at 10:33am

I love all of them – not only in the kids room. Although it might be funnier for kids, I wouldn´t be happy to have a rug with streets on it in my house. No way – sorry, poor baby. ;-)

53. decor8 commented
    May 26th, 2014 at 6:20pm

@Sandra – I agree :)

54. Jane commented
    May 27th, 2014 at 3:23am

I had a rug almost identical to the marigold one in the my first apartment in 1979 — it was from Pier I.

55. Nova @ 18chelseamews commented
    May 27th, 2014 at 2:54pm

Hi Holly,

Good find; these rugs are beautiful! Although the flower weave hemp ones are really gorgeous, I would advise you to eliminate those as a choice for the nursery. This advice is all based on my experience of having these rugs while growing up in Jamaica. They were a very popular choice for my mom until my little brother came along.

Here are my 2 main reasons:

1. It’ll be too harsh for your baby’s skin when he’s crawling around; he’s likely to get bruises.

2. It may not shed like the Flokati did but this style of rug is a serious dust collector due to the intricate nature of the design, as well as the material.

Think potential dust allergy and the time you will spend vacuuming. Sad to say but the dust really settles into those beautiful little details. Just vacuuming was never enough, we had to take it outside ever so often for a good ‘beating’ to release the excess dust, as washing would ruin the rug.

A flat-woven wool rug will be gentler on his skin and is much easier to clean; most are machine washable too.

All the best in your search! :)
    Nova @ 18chelseamews´s last blog post ..Sipping Pretty: 6 Beauty-Boosting Infused Water Recipes To Make At Home

56. Steph Bond-Hutkin | Bondville commented
    June 3rd, 2014 at 2:44pm

Oh I’m so glad that you found Armadillo & Co! I have the gorgeous small Dandelion rug in our entrance and it is fabulous – very soft underfoot (surprisingly so for hemp) and looks incredible. I’m so proud of the ladies behind the brand, and the amazing work they are doing in India building schools for the poorest of kids, and working with the women artisans to keep their craft alive. I can’t recommend them highly enough.

57. Hollie Baker commented
    June 17th, 2014 at 5:04pm

Your Flokati rug is absolutely beautiful, but not a good pair with baby drool! I think you should go with a classic stripe! That way it can be used later on in his ‘big boy’ room or even like you said in a guest bedroom. They can be used all around! Go with a Nest Weave Stripe, in neutrals, that way it is soft for the babies knees and It also wouldn’t take away from the rest of the room because of it’s classic, and neutral look.