Marble Trend For Food Photography

I’ve been noticing a marble trend over the past year in both interiors but also food photography, have you slowly noticed it creeping in too? I think it’s a stunning surface to work with at home but also for shooting food and even craft, flowers and more. When I see foodies working with new materials it excites me so much since the same old things do get a bit boring and we just crave newness don’t we? Marble may not be “new” – it’s been around forever – but seeing it pop up in modern homes and in food shots feels very fresh when done right. I think marble looks best in pared-back interiors and with food, it works best with foods that are rich in color like berries and chocolate and citrus fruits (vs. white foods, for instance). Here are some examples of how I’m seeing marble being used in the kitchen…

la-house-0549-md110366_vert
(above: a marble island that I’d love to have as shown on Martha Stewart via Elements of Style.)

My friend Susanne in Hannover, Germany writes Milas Deli and she is the first person I spotted regularly using marble as a surface for her food photography. (Her Instagram stream is great – you guys have to follow her.) I love that you can smear berries on it, that liquids stay puddled vs. soak in (as they would shooting on wood or fabric) and that it’s light and bright but still has those gorgeous gray lines running through bringing in lovely random patterning.

scones_1

birnengalette_2

schokowaffeln_3a

These top three photos are from Susanne at Milas Deli. See what I mean with the smeared food and that lovely faint coffee stain?

Make Your Own Soda

I really like the citrus on the surface shown above in this shot by Alexandra Grablewski, whom I wrote about not too long ago HERE on decor8.

AranGoyoaga_FigMushroomTart_EDOC3029

This shot of fig tarts shown above is by Aran Goyoaga from Cannelle et Vanille. Also a stunner.

8756401470_203960422f_z

Another shot using marble as a background. This time by the food blog, Oh Ladycakes – a new blog find of mine that is just delightful.

1f97434709b29a4fa791abf4f1b4b10e

This one is from Top With Cinnamon – I like seeing the surface from the side don’t you?

baguettefrenchtoast
Here is some more drippy yummy goodness from Dash and Bella. Seems like there is also a trend in using red drippy things on marble, too! :)

la-house-0334-md110366_vert
(Another view of marble in the kitchen as shown on Martha Stewart.)

I’d love to see marble used for styling flowers against – particularly deconstructing blooms petal by petal to create something artistic and shoot it straight down – wouldn’t that be unique?  I’m convinced I need a slab of it to place on my kitchen counter or on top of my small table so I can roll out dough and use it more for cooking… Some think of marble as a cold surface lacking emotion but I actually see it as one that provides a lot of versatility and is interesting visually – it’s subtle but still present. It’s also a great surface to present food on – particularly dessert cheeses after supper at a dinner party with fruit, jams and crusty bread. Yum.

What do you think of marble in the kitchen? What about having it as a surface for food photography? How else can you see marble being used in a creative way at home?

(images: linked above)

Posted by decor8 in trends on May 26, 2014

1. Traci commented
    May 26th, 2014 at 6:39pm

You made me hungry with talk of that after dinner cheese tray! It seems like marble is easy to clean, too, as an added benefit.
    Traci´s last blog post ..Memorial Day

2. Style Domicile commented
    May 26th, 2014 at 7:07pm

Personally, I love the use of marble in kitchens. I don’t find it to be cold at all and actually I think it looks somewhat sleek as opposed to “cold”. Gorgeous use of marble in the above photos!

Style Domicile
    Style Domicile´s last blog post ..GINGERBREAD HOUSE

3. Chedva commented
    May 26th, 2014 at 7:21pm

I love marble! When we built our home, a lot of people tried to convince me not to use marble because it stains easily but it’s now one of my favorite things at home.
    Chedva´s last blog post ..Design-Touring Jaffa with Happy Interiors Blog

4. Giulia commented
    May 26th, 2014 at 7:37pm

I’ve always loved marble in food photography, and I use it sometimes for my own food shots. I’m also saving my money to put in place a marble counter top in my kitchen. What I think is amusing in food photography using marble, is that all those citrus, coffee and berry drips on a full kitchen counter would make people crazy. Those can permanently stain your marble and any manufacturer will advise against having corrosive drips on the surface, but if you’re only using a slab I guess the investment isn’t as big. Besides, some people like to have the marble get the patina that comes with stains (without the ring of red wine)
    Giulia´s last blog post ..Chocolate Pavlova with Mascarpone Cream and Cherries

5. Jessica Senti commented
    May 26th, 2014 at 7:49pm

I’m loving marble right now too! I would love to change out our boring granite kitchen countertops for white marble ones. I feel like it would lighten up the whole room.

6. Jessica Senti commented
    May 26th, 2014 at 7:49pm

7. Jessica Senti commented
    May 26th, 2014 at 7:49pm

8. Guðrún Vald. commented
    May 26th, 2014 at 7:52pm

Gorgeous and yummy photos!
    Guðrún Vald.´s last blog post ..mix&match

9. decor8 commented
    May 26th, 2014 at 8:27pm

@Traci – As I typed it I got hunger pains, too! :)

10. Gayle Romay commented
    May 26th, 2014 at 8:43pm

Love the breakfast bar in the first shot. I about to buy a nice big slab from West Elm for food shots

11. Noor commented
    May 26th, 2014 at 9:02pm

I LOVE IT and wish I had counters like this.

12. Athena commented
    May 26th, 2014 at 9:06pm

Hehe, timely post :) I was just looking at marble pastry boards this morning to use in my food photography!
    Athena´s last blog post ..Saturday baking

13. molly | molly + morgan commented
    May 26th, 2014 at 10:05pm

I’ve noticed lots of marble lately, but I think 101cookbooks started the trend. Her kitchen has been white and grey marble for as long as I can remember.
    molly | molly + morgan´s last blog post ..Asparagus Risotto

14. julie the alkaline sister commented
    May 27th, 2014 at 2:16am

Funny you should write this as I was just about to buy the largest size marble board at west elm for about $100 just two weeks ago but thought I would find my own slab so I was perusing a marble yard just on Friday! I can’t wait to get my hands on a piece. I rather thought I needed marble counter tops but a board is so much more versatile to work with as you can move it to various lighting conditions and like you say, use it for food serving. As much as I love this marble and can’t wait to use it I’m brainstorming what surface is going to be cool next! Any thoughts or secret brand new trends you’ve noticed that you could share? Hope you are well:)

15. Jane commented
    May 27th, 2014 at 2:53am

Yes, the marble is a food trend for photography. And so is the annoying trend of styling messy food trying to look “natural.”

16. Jane commented
    May 27th, 2014 at 2:55am

Yes, the marble is a food trend for photography. And so is the annoying trend of styling messy food and strategically placing crumbs trying to look “natural.”

17. Emily commented
    May 27th, 2014 at 11:55am

Marble is such a great surface and it’s been on my prop wish list for ages. I think you’ve convinced me I need a slab too! I love these images and thank you for introducing me to a couple of new blogs too. To enjoy with a slice of cake I think! x
    Emily´s last blog post ..Floral Friday Winner {Peony Special}

18. Ibabe commented
    May 27th, 2014 at 1:15pm

I have marble on my kitchen, but not white one, black one.
    For me is a great surface to work, to clean and to maintein. But in my case is too dark to take photos.
    Those whites are incredible.
    Ibabe´s last blog post ..Corner view: Taste

19. Laura commented
    May 27th, 2014 at 2:03pm

These fotos are so gorgeous. Even though the drippy berry sauce will stain the marble – that seems to be the whole point of marble. To show wear and use.

There’s a book called Michelangelo’s Mountain, about Carrera Stone and the region it comes from. (and also, a lot about Michelangelo). I guess all the kitchens the globe over, can’t all be sourced from the same mountain. So who knows where all this white marble is coming from? I love it though.

20. susanne commented
    May 27th, 2014 at 2:26pm

thank you so much Holly ♥ you forgot the gorgeous Heidi from 101 cookbooks ★★★

21. decor8 commented
    May 27th, 2014 at 6:57pm

@Julie – Hello my dear! As for a future “trending” surface, I think you could really have fun with foreign language newspapers as long as they fit what you are cooking – like Chinese, Japanese, etc. And also I think using watercolors that bleed a bit onto cheese cloth could be gorgeous, don’t you? I’d like to see muslin used more to, I love how weightless it appears.

22. Sukaina commented
    May 28th, 2014 at 8:54pm

Love love marble but what I adore even more is distressed zinc with a beautiful patina. Don’t know if it’s a trend gone by or an upcoming one ;) I love your idea about bleeding watercolors into cheesecloth. I’ve recently experimented with partially dying linens with vegetable colours with great success.
    Sukaina´s last blog post ..Indian Roast Chicken and Smoked Kofta Biryani

23. Diane Faye commented
    May 29th, 2014 at 4:29am

I’ve noticed it showing up in stationery too!

24. Ellen commented
    May 30th, 2014 at 1:58pm

Like some others mentioned, Heidi from 101 Cookbooks started the trend probably 5 years ago. A shame you didn’t mention the person who started it ;-)

25. decor8 commented
    June 4th, 2014 at 6:26pm

@Ellen – This post did not state who started the trend. It was about my personal observation.

To recap I stated, “I’ve been noticing a marble trend over the past year in both interiors but also food photography, have you slowly noticed it creeping in too?” and also “My friend Susanne in Hannover, Germany writes Milas Deli and she is the first person I spotted regularly using marble as a surface for her food photography.”

Hope that makes you feel better.