Trends

Interior Trend: Into The Wild

June 4, 2014

Are you ready to venture into the wild for this trend post? This trend post is different to the ones I have been written so far as you will soon see… Into The Wild is not tangible, it’s not about a piece of furniture or an object you can buy. It embraces a feeling, a way of living, a call back to nature. I’d like to take you on a journey of observing colour, texture and keywords that describe what Into The Wild means to me.

Interior Trend: Into The Wild

Photo: Ashley Herrin Photography

Into The Wild describes an urge for taking a break from every day life. It’s about hanging a hammock somewhere outdoors to pause and contemplate. It is a visual response to our need of exploring once again to tap into our inner world, to travel and get lost without wifi and Instagram, no GPS marking our route and plans.

Interior Trend: Into The Wild

Photos: Chris Maynard FEATHERS // Aaron Feaver GIRL

Interior Trend: Into The Wild

Photos: Dullbluelight BOKEH // GREEN LEAVES // Mokkasin GIRL

There’s romanticism and a strong bohemian vibe underlined by the aesthetics of feathers, flower crowns, French braids, forage materials and tribal patterns. Photos are taken often during the golden hour searching for a softer, blurry look.

Interior Trend: Into The Wild

Photos: Kevin Russ Mobile Photography NATIONAL PARK // Taylor Dorrell GIRL WITH CAMERA

Colours are warm and rich, greens, curry, oxid and sunflower yellow, combined with pastel hues such as pale pink and peach. Chocolate brown and black are added to give the right contrast and focus of the ‘wild aspect’ here.

Interior Trend: Into The Wild

Photos: Andie Speciality Sweets MUSHROOMS // Elizabeth Weinberg HAMMOCK

Interior Trend: Into The Wild

Photos: The grower’s daughter LEFT // Parker Fitzgerald Photography RIGHT

One of the micro trends included is the caravan revival. They are made for camping and exploration, used as food trucks (you’ll find them on all cool street events these days) or traveling from here to there selling lovely things. TIP: See and follow stylist Kara Rosenlunds journeys, they are so inspiring!

Interior Trend: Into The Wild

Photo: Kara Rosenlund

When it comes to defining materials, they are all very related to nature but do have a lived-in aspect — imperfect and weathered.

Interior Trend: Into The Wild

Photo: Pamela Schmieder

As for interior design, let’s talk swinging hammocks, hanging wicker chairs and peacock armchairs, all combined with huge lush indoor plants.

Interior Trend: Into The Wild

Photos: Siren Laudal Photography / Styling Kråkvik & D’Orazio LEFT // Anthropologie hanging chair // Anthropologie Hammock

I hope you liked the different approach today. Let me hear your thoughts and what your into the wild experience lately has been.- Warmly, Gudy

You Might Also Like

13 Comments

• Reply Heather@ThreeHeartsHome June 4, 2014 at 6:50 pm

Absolutely LOVING this trend. My own house is full of little mementos from hikes and camping trips and time spent at the ocean.

• Reply Isabel June 4, 2014 at 8:00 pm

For which year is this trend predicted? Right now or maybe for 2015?
    Thank you in advance!

• Reply stacy June 4, 2014 at 8:50 pm

These images are so beautiful and inspiring. I love this look…I’ve been slowly aiming for something similar in my own place. Thank you for sharing!

• Reply Cathy June 4, 2014 at 9:40 pm

Thanks for sharing such fun inspiration, Gudy! I’m loving this trend. It’s very on point for my son, Wilder (as in Wild-er) who has an adventure/travel themed nursery.

I hope this trend sticks around!

• Reply Sra Noruega June 5, 2014 at 9:39 am

I love the concept!! You should take a look to this Spanish teepees brand “To the wild.” They talk about the same feeling!

• Reply Amber June 5, 2014 at 10:11 am

hey! i love your blog and your content. i personally really enjoy this trend of into the wild, and i make wall posters from national geographic cut outs.

one thing, though, is that the entire “tribal pattern” and headdress is borderline cultural appropriation. actually, it definitely is cultural appropriation.

there’s no “romanticism” in taking a culture that has historically been suppressed… for the sake of aesthetics. i doubt the model in “girl with a camera” is some highly ranked, prestigious chieftain who is wearing the headdress for anything else but that it is trendy.

i think that indigenous accessories are hugely misunderstood, and simplifying “tribal patterns” into a trend is disrespectful.

i know this is kind of an odd comment to receive and maybe a particularly sour one. is it not depressing that native people who used to be marginalized because some ex-brits wanted a new country (built of liberty and freedom, ironically) are now just exploited for some fashionable house decoration?

• Reply Sarah Akwisombe June 5, 2014 at 3:33 pm

I love the outdoors and the inspiration that can be gathered from the differing colours and textures that nature brings. The images are stunning! :)

• Reply GeeklyGirl June 5, 2014 at 8:39 pm

I love this look and how it’s inspired by the nature, which also makes it easier to make homemade decor when you can just go into the garden and gather things^^

• Reply Doris June 5, 2014 at 9:13 pm

Hi Gudy, I LOVED reading this post. This trend or style is right up my alley and I think you nailed it with your imagery and written interpretation. Another great one. Thanks Doris

• Reply Gudy Herder June 6, 2014 at 12:24 am

Amber,
    Hi Amber, I totally agree with you when it comes to use sacred symbols and use them in a totally different context calling them ‘trendy’. However, the picture you refer to, reminded me more of a look you might find in Eastern Europe, tribal yes, but not necessarily Native American related. I went last year to Moscow and at least the ornaments of the head piece pretty much match with their graphics. I am not a geographical pattern expert but do see more similarity talking colors too with this side of the geography. I hope that explains my selection here. Gudy x

• Reply Alysa June 6, 2014 at 9:47 pm

This is actually exactly the look I was going for in my son’s nursery. Here’s a link: http://www.westofgrey.com/oliver/olivers-adventurer-nursery/

I’m in love with the combo of vintage travel and natural elements.

• Reply topa June 18, 2014 at 8:39 pm

This post reflects the feeling I am having for several months now. Leaving the city and going back to nature. So thank you a lot , very inspiring! :-)

• Reply Marinda June 18, 2014 at 10:14 pm

I’ve just seen Into the Wild recently for the first time, thanks to an organisation that showed it once again in theatres! It was amazing. Loving this post!