Delicious Bites: Ricotta Pancakes with Passionfruit Syrup Recipe

Would you like to try some Ricotta Pancakes with Passionfruit Syrup? Hello, everyone, its Jillian with another Delicious Bites column for decor8. Normally I write from Sydney but this month I’m writing from Europe, currently Paris, where I’m on vacation. I’ve been eating a pastry a day, purely as research for Delicious Bites of course (wink).

ricottapancakesrecipe_decor8

Do you like pancakes? Yes, of course you do! I’ve always loved pancakes yet I don’t make them that often. Blueberry pancakes are my favourite closely followed by ricotta pancakes. Ricotta cheese is one of my all time favourite ingredients. I use it all the time as a spread and in some of my favourite pasta dishes. I’ve even tried making ricotta at home just to see if I could. I mainly use ricotta in savoury dishes but this time I’m using it as the main ingredient in these light and fluffy pancakes.

Ricotta hotcakes with passionfruit syrup

This pancake recipe was inspired by Aussie cook and restaurateur, Bill Granger. I have one of Bill’s cookbooks at home and the recipes are easy to follow and taste great. Bill is famous for his ricotta hotcakes with honey comb butter and this is my take on his classic dish. Instead of honeycomb butter, I topped the hotcakes with labne and sliced banana then drizzled over some passionfruit syrup. If passionfruit are hard to source, honey or maple syrup would work well or any other of your favourite pancake toppings. These pancakes are at their best when freshly made. They still taste great when reheated but they do lose their fluffiness. Here’s the recipe for you.

Ricotta hotcakes with passionfruit syrup

(Makes 15 hotcakes)

Ricotta hotcakes with passionfruit syrup

Ricotta Pancakes
1 cup self raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
Two 20 ml tbs caster sugar
1 tsp grated lemon rind
4 eggs, separated
250 g (8 oz) ricotta cheese
1 cup milk or buttermilk

Ricotta Pancakes
Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt into a medium bowl. Stir in the sugar and lemon rind. Gently mix in the egg yolks, the ricotta cheese and the milk. In a large clean dry bowl, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. Gently fold the egg whites through the batter. Grease a small non stick pan and place over a medium heat. When the pan is hot, spoon in a few tablespoons of the mixture just enough to cover the pan. When bubbles form on the surface and the undersurface is golden brown, it’s time to flip the hotcake over and cook the other side. I like to lightly grease the pan in between each hotcake, to prevent them sticking. Once cooked, keep the pancakes warm.

Unknown-2

Passionfruit Syrup
½ cup sugar
¼ cup water
¼ cup lemon juice
2 passionfruit, pulped

Passionfruit Syrup
In a small saucepan combine the sugar, water and the juice. Bring to the boil and lower the heat. Simmer the mixture for a few minutes. Gently stir in the passionfruit pulp and simmer for a further minute. Remove from the heat. Serve hot or cold. If the syrup gets too thick as it cools, just dilute it with a little hot water.

Ricotta hotcakes with passionfruit syrup

Ricotta hotcakes with passionfruit syrup

I really hope you get the chance to make these as they are just delicious. See you all again next month with another Delicious Bites post, – Jillian.

(text/images by jillian leiboff)

Posted by decor8 in Delicious Bites on June 09, 2014

1. carmen ☮ commented
    June 9th, 2014 at 7:36pm

Wow! What a unique recipe. Now this is something to try. :] // itsCarmen.com ☼

2. Nina Fitton commented
    June 9th, 2014 at 8:03pm

Love love love ricotta pancakes – had some amazing ones for brunch at Shrimpy’s, Kings Cross, recently: hyhoi.com/2014/05/brunch-inspiration-shrimpys-hoi-polloi-bistrotheque/
    Nina Fitton´s last blog post ..One night in Williamsburg: Drinks at The Ides & dinner at Rye

3. Kristin commented
    June 10th, 2014 at 2:19am

Mmmm…looks so good!

4. Jahaila commented
    June 10th, 2014 at 2:32am

Looks AMAZING!!! I’m going to try this for sure! :)
    Jahaila´s last blog post ..A Summer Stroll With My Daughter

5. Lauren commented
    June 10th, 2014 at 3:02pm

Wow, these really do look delicious – and impressive to look at too, almost too nice to eat.

Hope you enjoyed your pastry a day, sounds lovely!

x

6. Sandra commented
    June 10th, 2014 at 10:41pm

Such beautiful photographs to tell the story.

7. Jillian Leiboff commented
    June 11th, 2014 at 1:31pm

Nina Fitton,

Hi Nina,

if only I knew about your blog before my recent stay in London. Some of your suggestions sound fab,

J
    Jillian Leiboff´s last blog post ..brussels

8. Joanne Boulter commented
    June 12th, 2014 at 5:17am

You always have a beautiful blog, full of info and beautiful picture. I like the personal touch. I have started a new blog Anne’s Attic – Design. If you have time in your busy life please take the time to check it out and comment on it for me. I need some feed back.

Thanx Jo

9. Jillian Leiboff commented
    June 12th, 2014 at 7:36pm

Lauren,

Thanks Lauren I did. I can highly recommend the tarte aux citron from

Liberté at 39 rue des Vinaigriers near the Canal St Martin in Paris.

It was sublime!