Arts + Crafts

Art Crush: Emily Ferretti

June 17, 2014

My very own blog inspired me last week! Do you ever have that happen… You write about something and you feel even more inspired by the topic than you imagined and it leads to research and more research and boom! You are down the rabbit hole! This is precisely what happened to me last week when I shared some photos from a home that lovely Lucy over at The Design Files featured. The home was immaculate, I mean breath-taking, but the artwork sealed the deal for me. I just had to investigate! And when I did, I discovered artist Emily Ferretti. The best part is, Lucy must have had the same craving to look into Emily at the exact same time because she posted an in-depth interview with Emily here on her blog this past Friday. Great minds… ;)

Art Crush: Emily Ferretti

Gorgeous shades of blues and greens are recurring themes in her work.

Art Crush: Emily Ferretti

Emily’s work studio (above)

Art Crush: Emily Ferretti

In addition to her gorgeous paintings that she creates in her Northcote (a suburb of Melbourne, Victoria, Australia) studio, she has a new book available to order online called, ‘Everyday‘, published by Perimeter Editions. Her publishers describe her work so brilliantly, “Oil-on-linen paintings of plants, rocks, domestic settings, sporting ephemera and architectural details are remarkable for their lightness of touch and subtleties in process, tonality and mark making, sidling the representational and abstract via a quiet, poetic tenor. Isolated from wider narrative and context, her various fragmentary scenes – athletic tracks, skate ramps, pot plants or winter forest scapes – work to bestow the day-to-day with a particular gravity and significance.” Yes, exactly! What they said!

Art Crush: Emily Ferretti

Many of her paintings shown are available at her current show at Sophie Gannon Gallery. Her work makes me feel so calm and at peace overall – there is a lightness and good energy about them and I just love the colors and the natural subjects – along with some of her more abstract and geometric pieces, too. My favorite painting is definitely THIS ONE below. Oh how I love it. It speaks to me so loud and clear. I wish it were in my home. And I don’t say that often about paintings because I view them as such a major life commitment. Buying original works of art (especially in this price range) is nothing I take lightly.

Art Crush: Emily Ferretti

Art Crush: Emily Ferretti

What do you think of her work? I wonder how it makes you feel when you see it? Is there a connection for you, too?

(photos: Sean Fennessy and Eve Wilson)

You Might Also Like

9 Comments

• Reply Alysa June 17, 2014 at 3:18 pm

Thank you so much for sharing Emily’s artwork! I’d never heard of her – but I’m so glad I have now. Perfect timing! Looking for some new art for our living room.

• Reply TeamApartment34 June 17, 2014 at 4:35 pm

So beautiful! Great way of visually creating texture.

• Reply Holly Guertin June 17, 2014 at 6:06 pm

I also don’t have the most eloquent of words for her paintings like the publishers did, but I love the watery quality of the paint and the geometric and organic shapes together on the same canvas. Beautiful work!

• Reply Melissa de la Fuente June 17, 2014 at 11:29 pm

I’m SO with you about that painting. I want it in my home so badly….
    Something about it. I’m a little obsessed!

• Reply Angela Fehr June 18, 2014 at 12:38 am

I love Emily’s art – I hadn’t heard of her before, but it speaks to me too. I’m a watercolour painter, and our work isn’t terribly similar, but it is a challenge to an artist to paint with an authentic voice, and when I discover an artist whose work resonates with what I dream of saying in my work, it’s always inspiring.

• Reply Tomiko June 18, 2014 at 3:08 am

Yes, her artwork is so inspiring! I just want to dig out my paints and make something beautiful too!

• Reply bethania June 18, 2014 at 4:26 am

Holly, I didn´t know herwork and fell in love with it. Thank you for letting me know about it. I loved the domesticity that her work conveys, which comes from the array of vase of flowers, plants and day-to-day simple objects. On top of that, the colours and transparency add a magical and dreamful atmosphere to the images. In love!

• Reply Sarah @ *Tadaam! June 18, 2014 at 5:07 pm

Really beautiful ! I like specially the two latest ones in your post with plants. Thanks for sharing !

• Reply SL June 19, 2014 at 7:22 pm

These are some great art pieces from this artist Emily. Although I’ve never heart of her, her art to me reminds of realism, but it isn’t so detailed yet it is perfect enough that it will make any room look like an art showcase. Love it.
    Please read, follow, and share my DIY beauty blog: http://BeautyBiche.blogspot.com