Jason Grant: Away At Home

June 21, 2014

I’ve blogged about this styling rock star before but Aussie stylist Jason Grant is the cat’s meow in styling at the moment so I must highlight him again. I heard about Mr. Grant a few years ago for the first time and have been a fan since – I really enjoyed his first book, A Place Called Home, and can hardly wait for his next one, Away At Home, to be published by Rizzoli which will drop this Fall and is a collaboration with photographer Lauren Bamford. I saw it already cover-to-cover and fell in love. In it, Jason talks about how to live everyday like you are on vacation with inspiration and tips for creating a relaxed boho-vibe at home and he provides much insight on a myriad of decorating ideas for creating your own private resort right in your home. Of course, after the babysitter comes to scoop up the children and whisk them away to the nearby playground (wink).

Jason Grant: Away At Home

Jason Grant: Away At Home

Jason Grant: Away At Home

Jason Grant: Away At Home

Jason Grant: Away At Home

The above pics are a few that show his carefree beachside apartment in Sydney, as shown in Inside Out magazine.

I recently got to talk to Jason about what’s hot and what’s not, I thought you’d be interested in hearing what he has to say…

First, his 5 favorite things: 1: Favorite look: Relaxed, laidback and casual – nothing too over styled // 2: Favorite trend – nature // 3: Favorite object – something on your wish list // 4: Another favorite object – something you see everywhere at the moment – like yellow (still) – I love it // 5: Favorite miscellaneous – I love to decorate with timber combined with a pop of colour. I think this is my signature look.

Why do you like these five – what attracts you? I’m attracted to colour and nature, happy colours and interiors that reflect the owners personality.

What trends are you tired of? Replica furniture

What do you predict will be hot next? Anything Hawaiian-themed — but no more pineapples!!!

If you’re not familiar with Australian interiors and styling, then here are few spreads from magazines that he has worked for showing his styling work so you can catch a glimpse…

Jason Grant: Away At HomeJason Grant: Away At HomeJason Grant: Away At HomeJason Grant: Away At Home

Jason is such an inspiration and I hope that you get to check out his work, buy his books and tap into this great talented guy.

Are you a Jason Grant fan? If so, why?

(images: inside out magazine, rizzoli books)

You Might Also Like

• Reply Laura June 21, 2014 at 1:17 pm

Very pretty, very fresh look.

He almost always uses a few vintage finds. Love that.

The nature elements in a home should make sense. For instance, I live in Minnesota so I decorate with antlers, Lake Superior rocks, and Target finds (haha, Target is locally based).

But I vacation in Florida, so I also love starfish and shells in moderation.

Can’t go wrong with the accessories made by God.

• Reply Katja/ Neovia house June 21, 2014 at 2:14 pm

I wasn’t familiar with this stylist before, so thanks for writing about him, will definitely look out for his work! I like the relaxed and mixed style in the pictures

• Reply Joana June 21, 2014 at 4:45 pm

Of course he has the most amazingly-decorated apartment. So gorgeous.

Joana x

• Reply Sandra June 21, 2014 at 5:22 pm

Inside Out and Living Etc are two of my fave shelter mags. I don’t know if residents of Australia and the UK feel this way, but living in North America (I’m Canadian), it feels like all our shelter mags look the same – very safe and very similar.

What I like about what I see in Inside Out and Jason’s style specifically, is unique spaces. No two are alike. And they look like homes where real people live, not rooms styled within an inch of their life.

The mix of colors and textures and styles – and non-recognizable furniture – it’s so fresh and appealing. I know that bloggers and shelter mags are sponsored by the big furniture/lifestyle chains but it becomes a bit of a bore to tick off the items supplied by them in each and every mag shoot.

It’s inspiring because it’s new. And it inspires me to change up my own space!

• Reply decor8 June 22, 2014 at 6:41 pm

@Sandra – YES so true. I subscribe to Frankie, Inside Out and Real Living (all Aussie mags!) and VTWonen from the Netherlands. Definitely creative and gorgeous, not that “safe” feeling like you find in mags in Germany and the US. Even British mags, to me, are feeling totally safe lately. I unsubscribed to all of them that I once read religiously from the UK.

• Reply Emily @ Life on Food June 21, 2014 at 7:58 pm

Lovin’ that “honey drive up” poster.

• Reply Sarah June 22, 2014 at 12:48 am

I’m a huge fan of Mr Jason Grant’s cool casual style, he’s one of my favourite Aussie stylists. I loved A Place Called Home, and can’t wait to get my copy of Away at Home.

Sarah x

• Reply Angeli Del Rosario (Beadlady) June 22, 2014 at 11:01 am

The upcoming book Away at Home sounds so interesting! I want my home to be a staycation all year long! Can’t wait til the book is released. Thanks for the heads up Holly!

• Reply tea-in-tangiers June 22, 2014 at 2:11 pm

love the larger than life map – so glad to hear the “cats meaow” say no more pineapples . . . !

• Reply caroline @trend-daily June 23, 2014 at 12:50 am

Cannot wait to see it-he’s great! Thanks for the sneak peek! :-)

• Reply Jaclyn June 23, 2014 at 1:01 am

a huge fan of Jason – great to see him featured here! x

• Reply mr jason grant June 23, 2014 at 3:04 am

THANKS Holly and all those who have commented this made my day

• Reply suzy June 23, 2014 at 10:48 am

ah Frankie, Inside Out and Real Living are my go to’s also!! Always something fresh, always something to swoon over, always inspirational, always alittle Australian which is why we love little in this modern yet whimsical little island of ours ;)….Sooooo much amazing talent just like Jason x

• Reply Tom June 23, 2014 at 2:51 pm

Love the quirky style. If I had that map of the world on my bedroom wall I think I would struggle to sleep – I would be thinking where I wanted to go next!

• Reply Mille June 23, 2014 at 3:32 pm

Nossa! Inspirador! Lindo!

• Reply Ines June 23, 2014 at 11:28 pm

Can’t wait to pick up the book – very inspiring work!

• Reply Thomas Ulstrup June 24, 2014 at 2:23 pm

I just love how posters are becoming such a big part of interiour designing. This makes me, as an owner of a poster shop, so happy. I love the fact that this is a great break in the all white and all black designs that have been going on for the past years.

• Reply Jodie June 26, 2014 at 9:26 am

It’s so hilarious that Jason says ‘no more pineapples’! Here in Australia pineapples were on trend about a year ago and right through our Summer (northern winter). So it’s funny to see them popping up on blogs all over the place at the moment as being one of the hot trends. With many high profile international blogs using images of homes from The Design Files blog (Australian) and from Aussie interiors mags, as well as featuring our stylists and photographers it’s clear that we are leading the trends. It used to be that we were a season behind the rest of the world… no more! Go Aussies!

• Reply Mobila June 26, 2014 at 3:12 pm

I love that world map idea.
    That actually can solve a problem I have.

• Reply by Playart September 19, 2015 at 12:38 am

Haha, love the “Honey up and drive poster” :) Made me laugh :)