Photographer Jessica Sample

July 9, 2014

I’ve been highlighting photographers on decor8 for years and thought I’d start doing it again more frequently since, as I once said back in February 2008 (!!!), it’s so important to highlight the many talented people out there shooting because we all tend to take for granted that someone is behind the lens working hard to capture all of these beautiful moments, places and spaces that we’re drooling over in our favorite magazines and on sites like Pinterest. Jessica Sample, who shot the story I just shared about actress/singer songwriter Mía Maestro, deserved a post of her own on decor8 and to encourage you to visit her website where you can see an insane amount of beautiful, huge images in every imaginable category from portraits to lifestyle, fashion, hotels, interiors, kids, food, travel and even video work.

Photographer Jessica Sample

Jessica Sample is an award wining professional photographer with a degree in Photography from Brown University. She grew up in L.A. and is currently based there yet travels extensively for her work. In fact, long before becoming a working girl, Jessica traveled all over the world with her parents to destinations like Bhutan, Africa and Indonesia. Before she started shooting full-time, she was the Deputy Photo Editor at Travel + Leisure Magazine (the first mag I ever subscribed to when I was 15 years old!) in New York City and frequently shot their features. In addition to her online portfolio, you can follow her on her tumblr blog here.

Photographer Jessica Sample

Photographer Jessica Sample

Photographer Jessica Sample

Photographer Jessica Sample

Photographer Jessica Sample

Photographer Jessica Sample

I’m so glad that I came across this wonderful photographer, aren’t you? Thank god for the internet. And don’t you just adore the two portraits above, particularly the one with the vinyls and record player? Such a casual yet gorgeous shot. I’d love some photos taken of me like this – my goal for later this year in fact as I’ve invited my neighbor Christin Lange back to work with me again later in the Fall. She shot our newborn photos for Aidan, do you remember those? They were in my birth story? I’ve invited her back to do some mommy + me shots of us together now that he’s bigger. In fact, today he just turned 5-months-old and I really can’t believe it because days feel so long but the period of time seems so short. Must be a typical parent feeling, right?

(Photographer: Jessica Sample)

You Might Also Like

• Reply Jana Miller July 9, 2014 at 4:13 pm

oh lovely photos! hide and seek cute!

• Reply Barb July 9, 2014 at 6:10 pm

Such a wonderfully creative photographer, thanks for sharing!

• Reply marijana July 9, 2014 at 7:00 pm

HI Holly, I’m a huge fan of yours and i’ve taken the BYW courses for the second time and I love how you really get into so many different layers of creativity. Since you want to portrait some photographers I want to tell you about Lauren Volo ( Not only is she my future cousin in law but she’s an amazing and talented artist. I’m not just saying it like that she worked for the first lady on her cooking book. she’s doing a lot of food photography, when you look at her page you feel like you haven’t eaten in ages and suddenly you have those cravings. you want it all – NOW!! :) I know that you’ve been looking for new teachers for your new BYW course and I’d love to see someone who’d do more on food or DIY blog posts. Anyway, keep up the good work! xoxo mari

• Reply Tracey July 9, 2014 at 11:50 pm

I love hearing about other photographers …… so inspiring. She is super talented at her trade. The colours are amazing !!!!

• Reply Michell July 10, 2014 at 11:58 am

Wow, these photos are absolutely gorgeous. So clean looking but, in a way, also quite nostalgic with a kind of 1960s feel. lovely. Thanks for this!

• Reply Sandra July 10, 2014 at 4:27 pm

I’m nuts with the ropes backdrop!! It’s so extraordinary and inspiring . Full of nautical atmosphere which promises weather, salt and adventure. I would love to call this style.

♡ Sandra

• Reply Ashley July 11, 2014 at 9:37 pm

You should check out Photographer Lisa Petrole of Toronto she is so amazing at what she does and can capture an interior space so beautifully.

• Reply Sonja July 15, 2014 at 5:48 pm

Dear Holly,
    beautiful photos, thanks for sharing!

Can you maybe recommend a photographer in Germany / Frankfurt area for design/decoration/interior photography?

Best, Sonja