Delicious Bites: Strawberry Pavlova Recipe

Are you ready for a delicious Strawberry Pavlova recipe? You’ll want to Pin and make this one! Hi there, it’s Jillian here with this month’s Delicious Bites column. I’ve just spent 5 weeks in Europe and I was there for the start of the berry season. I just love berries and I can’t tell you how many punnets of strawberries and raspberries I consumed while I was away. So with berries on my mind I decided to make a Strawberry Pavlova. Australia claims the Pavlova but our close friends and neighbours from New Zealand also claim it as their own. Whoever invented it was pretty clever because the combination of a crisp meringue shell, fluffy marshmallow interior topped with lashings of cream and fruit is a winner. I’ve seen many pictures of desserts claiming to be Pavlova but I’m pretty hard line when it comes to the definition. A Pavlova must be tall and it must have a marshmallow interior and if not, then it’s not a Pavlova.

yum

Do you have one of those old fashioned common sense cookbooks on your bookshelf that you turn to time and time again? Well I have a few and one of those is Maureen’s Simpson’s Australian CuisineI can’t claim this Pavlova recipe as my own, because it comes straight from the pages of this well used book, but I’ve changed the method a little. As long as you follow the recipe, it’s actually pretty easy to make but you need to allow plenty of time to make the meringue base and time to let it cool. The base can be made well ahead of time and stored in an airtight container. Once it’s decorated, the Pavlova loses its crunch quite quickly, so don’t decorate it too far in advance.

str6

Don’t worry if the top cracks while it bakes– it’s amazing what a dollop of cream can disguise. Generously top with berries. You really need something tart with a Pavlova to counteract the sugar in the meringue. Raspberries, blackberries or blueberries work well or as my brother prefers, simply drizzled with passion fruit pulp. Once decorated, stand back and bask in the glory as every-one admires your creation. Here’s the recipe for you.

INGREDIENTS: 4 eggwhites / Pinch of salt / 1 heaped cup (230g) caster sugar / 1 teaspoon white vinegar / 1 20 ml tablespoon cornflour / 1 teaspoon vanilla extract  / 1¼ cups (300ml) thickened cream, whipped /1 punnet strawberries, washed and dried / Optional – icing sugar

METHOD: Preheat the oven (conventional) to 180°C/350°F. Line a flat baking tray with baking paper and using a 18cm (7 inch) cake tin as your guide, mark out a circle on the paper. Flip the paper over and use this as your template. In a large clean dry bowl, beat eggwhites with the pinch of salt until stiff. Add the caster sugar gradually, one heaped tablespoon at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in the vinegar, cornflour and vanilla extract. Pile or pipe the meringue mixture onto the baking tray, keeping within the marked circle. Smooth the top so it resembles a flat cake. It needs to be at least 5-6 cm (2-3 inches) high. Place the Pavlova in the oven and immediately reduce the oven temperature to 130°C/275°F and bake for 1¼ – 1½ hours or until the Pavlova is dry and very lightly coloured. Turn the oven off and allow the Pavlova to cool completely in the switched off oven. When cool, remove the baking paper from the Pavlova and store in an airtight container. Just before serving, top the Pavlova with the lightly whipped cream and berries and lightly dust with icing sugar if desired.

str5

str1

This recipe serves six. If you’re serving a crowd you could make 2 separate Pavlovas or one really large one as this is an easy recipe to upscale. For each egg white, you need ¼ cup caster sugar, 1 teaspoon of cornflour and ¼ teaspoon each of vanilla extract and vinegar.  If you’re making a larger Pavlova, make an 8 or 9 inch template and extend the cooking time by 15 – 30 minutes. I hope you enjoy the recipe.

str2

str4

See you all again next month with another Delicious Bites recipe. – Jillian

(text/styling/photography: jillian leiboff)

Posted by decor8 in Delicious Bites on July 14, 2014

1. Amie commented
    July 14th, 2014 at 10:16am

Ooh this looks absolutely delicious but I love love love that red and white jug. Are you able to share where it’s from?
    Thanks

2. Marie Solveg commented
    July 14th, 2014 at 10:22am

Uhmm looks delicius:-)
    Love cake and strawberry. You are clever in making cakes:-)

Come visit our blog, just pres my name:-)
    Enjoy the day.
    Marie, DK
    Marie Solveg´s last blog post ..Vinderen af Sankt Hans give away :)

3. Jillian Leiboff commented
    July 14th, 2014 at 10:23am

Amie,

Yes it’s lovely, isn’t it?

It’s Burleigh Ware and I bought it last month when I was in London from Pentreath and Hall

I hope that helps,

J

J
    Jillian Leiboff´s last blog post ..little rhubarb and ginger puddings with caramel sauce

4. Caroline4Christian commented
    July 14th, 2014 at 11:29am

My all time favourite fruits and marshmallows – who doesn’t like marshmallows? This sounds absolutely delicious! Since strawberry season is already over here in Germany I’ll have to try this out next year but now I’m even more impatient for the next strawberry summer!
    Caroline4Christian´s last blog post ..The end of Strawberry Summer

5. Aga @ Passion shake commented
    July 14th, 2014 at 3:49pm

Yummy! My mouth is watering! :)
    Aga @ Passion shake´s last blog post ..Interview with an Artist: Marta Spendowska

6. Jemma commented
    July 15th, 2014 at 2:22am

Ahhhh I love pavlova! Pav and macarons are the two sweet dishes/treats I want to perfect!
    Jemma´s last blog post ..Online Store of the Week: Tobi

7. Tiffany of Just Another Shopaholic commented
    July 15th, 2014 at 3:54am

My goodness that cake looks amazing.

8. Tiffany of Just Another Shopaholic commented
    July 15th, 2014 at 3:54am

My goodness that cake looks amazing.

9. Megan commented
    July 15th, 2014 at 5:04pm

This looks amazingly yummy! I heart strawberries especially this time of year!

10. jillian leiboff commented
    July 16th, 2014 at 12:45am

Jemma,

You’ll have to try this recipe then. It’s never, ever failed me.

J
    jillian leiboff´s last blog post ..little rhubarb and ginger puddings with caramel sauce