Events + Markets

Germany: World Cup 2014 Winners!

July 14, 2014

I don’t typically discuss sports here or get into anything potentially heated like breastfeeding (!), sleep training, religion or politics but c’mon, let’s talk about that World Cup 2014 finale last night? Was that great or was that great? Before the game began I predicted on Instagram that it would be a close match and that Argentina would play strong. And during the game on Twitter I openly confessed that though I’m a fan of the German team, whoever ended up winning the point last night deserved the world cup because that was a battle to the finish. Both teams were strong but you have to give credit to Germany because at one point they only had 10 players on the field, one of their star players, Sami Khedira, couldn’t even play because he injured himself 15 minutes before the game in warm-ups, and Argentina had a red card that wasn’t even held against them (that was such an unfair call)… Yet they still won (read more here for a play by play recap).

Germany: World Cup 2014 Winners!Germany: World Cup 2014 Winners!

And how brilliant was coach Joachim Löw in the end to pull out their big star Miroslav Klose (who received a standing ovation as he left the field) and replace with glorious #19, Mario Goetze, who scored the goal that won them the World Cup? And to top that off, the strategy (in my opinion) to pull out Mesut Özil and replace with Per Mertesacker in the final minute by Löw to eat up time on the clock was equally brilliant. You have to give Germany a huge high five for winning the World Cup, Manuel Neuer was aces and that was the best played game between two strong teams that I’ve ever seen in all of my years of watching sports teams battle it out for the World Series, NFL, etc. I’m really proud to wake up in Germany today and the spirits here are so high, I thought the fireworks and car horns were going to go one for hours last night. So exhilarating. I jumped with Aidan in my arms and we all cheered and then Aidan got fed and very milk drunk and passed out until 8am this morning. Babies. His first world cup! Hurrah!

Did you watch the game? What did you think?

(images: hugo boss/GQ magazine)

11 Comments

• Reply Angela July 14, 2014 at 11:12 am

Brilliant!

• Reply isabel magnasco July 14, 2014 at 1:01 pm

Congratulations !!!

From an Argentinian blogger

who is sad but proud of our team !!!

• Reply Mariana July 14, 2014 at 1:12 pm

As an Argentine, all I can say is we’re very proud of our team and quite happy with the result. Everybody here celebrated despite the final loss, because Germany clearly has been better prepared and has a longer history as a team: all its players play together throughout the year in German teams. Maybe we should learn from them a thing or two, particularly about consistency. Congratulations to Germany!

• Reply bella July 14, 2014 at 2:11 pm

Babe, that referee was a disaster, there were so many faults At that field (for both teams) that he kept ignoring. Bit it was such a fair game, both teams did their best and it was an awesome match, i really enjoyed it :D glad we are second , we only lost aganst the best team of the world !
    Xo

• Reply Lucia Vils July 14, 2014 at 3:08 pm

I’m brazilian and I’d never been so enchanted with a World Cup!
    I’m not a soccer fan, although I’m a mother of three grown boys that are crazy for their soccer team and also my husband. But this time, we had amzing games and surprises! And all the World Cup party was happening in “my backyard”: brazilians love Carnival!
    Congratulations to Argentina and Germany!!!

• Reply natalia July 14, 2014 at 4:54 pm

such a great game! congrats! I enjoyed many games of the word cup with my husband and family. It was heartbreaking when my team, Uruguay, lost but very proud of them anyway, they do their best. I didn’t think you like football since it is not so popular sport in the states, US team did it great cup too.

• Reply Tina July 14, 2014 at 4:55 pm

I really enjoyed this post, Holly! Thank you! We watched the game here in the US with our American friends who all cheered for Germany (they didn’t really have a choice…) but we are so sad that we missed all the celebrations, fireworks, interviews afterwards. We drove home, our car decorated with a German flag, but nobody cared. It’s just one of those days on which I wish I could be back home in Germany…
    Liebe Grüße nach Hannover!
    Tina

• Reply Rafael Villa July 14, 2014 at 8:46 pm

Hey, i’m brazilian and everybody was so happy!
    Congrats to Germany and all the teams that came to our country.
    Hope the world could see we made such a great party even Brazil Team making the worst campaign.

Love, from Brazil, Rafael.

• Reply Nitasha July 14, 2014 at 10:01 pm

Congratulations to Germany!!! What a team and what team spirit, it’s a World Cup they truly deserve and the match was an exciting watch and a close one……happy 13th anniversary Holly ………hope you have many many more happy years together!!!

• Reply Izzy July 14, 2014 at 10:16 pm

I watched the game too and I agree with you. The part about your baby’s first World Cup and being milk drunk is so cute.

• Reply Vero Palazzo July 15, 2014 at 3:58 am

Congratulations! Actually Germany is a great team and I know there is a big long work behind. BUT I am from Argentina and I would have loved to have the cup here!! Nonetheless, it was a great match and we are very proud of our team! It was very touching to see the germans clapping our guys at the end, when they were on the way to get the medal. Hope we can meet another time… and that the luck is on our side :)