Today We Shall Eat Cake + Enjoy The Flowers

Today is a very special one because it’s July 14, 2014 and 13 years ago today I got married! We were so young, so daring, so full of hopes and dreams… Today we’re not the doe-eyed dreamers we once were as much as the let’s-do-it doers and that’s something age and marriage gave us both – gumption, courage, fire. We’ve had many good times but also hard ones like when we had to count all of the change in the house in order to procure enough to buy groceries. I remember when my husband sold all of his belongings to be able to afford my wedding ring and a flight to America to marry me. I remember our honeymoon in San Francisco and how exciting it was to be in a city I had only dreamt to see back then and how we looked at rental apartments while there because we were convinced we’d found our dream city. Only we were too broke to make that happen.

anniversaryflowers

Marriage isn’t easy but what relationship is? There are none without compromise, tears, joy, heartbreak and smiles that extend ear-to-ear. It’s impossible to have a perfect life with someone, but it’s entirely possible to have a happy life . Happy doesn’t mean trouble-free. Life is hard and sometimes we grow together and other months, we drift apart. But we come together again. And we just keep going. One thing I’ve learned with my marriage is that the growing apart at times doesn’t mean it’s over. It only means that you have to keep walking ahead until your paths converge again. Humans evolve. We aren’t going to be the same people we were when we got married. When I read articles about how couples “grew apart” I often wonder what they went into marriage expecting. That they’d always be the same and want the same things and just follow protocol forever?

To think of where we are today, and that we have a child now on our journey with us, is mind-blowing and beautiful. It’s also hard to grasp that 13 years have passed because it seems like we’ve been together my entire life while it also feels like yesterday that we met online in a public forum where I was writing back and forth to a woman on the topic of masculinity vs. femininity and female objectification. And to think that a topic like that piqued the interest of a German journalist and computer science genius living thousands of miles away is just a riot. I remember back then (1998) I confessed to my mother that I was dating a man on the internet that I hadn’t met in person yet and the first thing she said was, “How do you know he isn’t a serial killer or rapist?”, because back then that was what most people thought when they heard about online dating. We wrote back and forth for nearly a year before we met for the first time and we were engaged within two weeks. That was 15 years ago in the Autumn of 1999. Then we were married in 2001.

Writing online has brought me uncounted blessings like a beautiful marriage and a glowing career. No serial killers mom!

Today my husband sent me gorgeous flowers that I’m holding above. And champagne that I’ll be holding in my tummy later on after the baby is snoozing. He also gave me the most beautiful ring to symbolize the birth of our son. I burst into tears the moment I opened the little black box with the exact same gold lettering on it that he gave me holding my engagement ring many years ago.

Thank you Thorsten for living with me, putting up with me, loving me and always being so loyal and caring. And for being the most wonderful daddy to little Aidan. I loved you from the first time we talked on the phone for 5 hours back in 1998 and I’ll love you forever + ever. Happy Anniversary my love.

(photo: thorsten becker)

Posted by decor8 in uncategorized on July 14, 2014

1. Laura commented
    July 14th, 2014 at 1:20pm

Happy anniversary! What you said about growing apart and then coming together again is so true. We’ve been married for 26 years (!), I was still in college when we married. It’s been a journey of growing up together.
    The flowers are beautiful.
    Show us the ring!
    Thanks for a lovely post.

2. Janet Kemp commented
    July 14th, 2014 at 1:37pm

Congrats Holly and Thorsten…..

Love the sentiments that you expressed above, Holly. I agree wholeheartedly.

Tomorrow, I, we, will be married 36 years. We have shared many ups and downs, our ‘spiderweb’ of life supporting us through good and difficult times.
    I think after all we have shared, we have more respect and love for each other.
    Our children are now older than when we first committed to each other and we have 2 beautiful grandchildren.

Thanks for reminding us about the important connections of life.
    Janet Kemp´s last blog post ..Madiba

3. Yuko | northfield gate commented
    July 14th, 2014 at 2:33pm

Happy Anniversary Holly and Thorsten! Thank you for sharing this beautiful story – this brought tears to my eyes… I’ve been married to my American husband for almost 7 years (I’m a Japanese girl living in upstate NY), and having ups and downs in marriage/life sounds all so familiar… And those details are what make our life all the more special! Wishing you many more years of happiness together! xx
    Yuko | northfield gate´s last blog post ..What I’m learning this summer

4. April Louise commented
    July 14th, 2014 at 2:50pm

Beautiful story, I wish you all many more happy years to come. Congratulations and well done.
    April Louise´s last blog post ..Inkie Florals

5. Roberta Beyer commented
    July 14th, 2014 at 3:01pm

Happy Anniversary Holly! I loved your post.

6. Elenor commented
    July 14th, 2014 at 3:11pm

Ah, that last bit brought little happy tears in my eyes. Love! So beautiful.
    Happy anniversary!

7. tinajo commented
    July 14th, 2014 at 3:54pm

How fun, I met my husband 15 years ago too and July 7th we had been married 13 years as well! :-)

Must have been good years for all of us, don´t you think? ;-) Congrats!
    tinajo´s last blog post ..Growth and flair

8. Mimmi commented
    July 14th, 2014 at 4:14pm

Happy Anniversary, Holly&Thorsten!

You have such wisdom…. Life {&marriage} IS beautiful with all its imperfections.

Enjoy your special day!

xx [one month from today! my husband and I are celebrating our 10th]

9. Marilyn commented
    July 14th, 2014 at 5:46pm

Congratulations to you and Thorsten! Reading this post was so sweet and had me smiling the whole time. I loved reading your story and your honesty. There are too many “perfect” love stories online so it’s refreshing to read something REAL! ♥
    Marilyn´s last blog post ..Back at Pulp Sushi – PINK!!!!!

10. Sandra Garth commented
    July 14th, 2014 at 5:49pm

Happy Anniversary! !

11. Kelly commented
    July 14th, 2014 at 7:16pm

Beautiful, honest tribute to your marriage. My husband and I share almost the exact relationship timeline (13 years in August, met in ’99) and this was just the perfect read for me today. Thank you…and happy anniversary.

12. Sri commented
    July 15th, 2014 at 7:01am

I decided to look you up online after borrowing your “Decorate Workshop” book from our local library – and this is the first post I’ve read on your blog. What beautiful and honest reflections on what it is to be married! I’m almost 13 years married, and what you’ve written here really resonated with me. Congratulations on your anniversary, and thank you for sharing your insights and experience with us all. xx

13. Joanna commented
    July 15th, 2014 at 8:12am

Happy Anniversary!!! I did not expect to get emotional, but I did. Thank you for sharing your story and have a wonderful celebration. :-)

14. Simone from Küchenzirkus commented
    July 15th, 2014 at 8:55am

Lovely post and happy anniversary!

15. Cate commented
    July 15th, 2014 at 10:07am

I can so relate to your post. I met my English husband at a gig where he was playing in Australia, two nights before he flew off to Japan. Today we have almost 8 years of marriage which has included financial hardship (especially when we decided to start a not for profit together), travel, adventures and our lovely adopted 17 year old cat Mr Pablo. A week and a bit ago we moved to Leipzig, Germany for a new stage of life, very exciting and more than a bit scary.

16. Lynne commented
    July 15th, 2014 at 2:03pm

Happy Anniversary. A lovely story.

17. Holly {Avenue} commented
    July 15th, 2014 at 3:29pm

Happy anniversary Holly and Thorsten. Really enjoyed reading your story and encouraging words. Much love, Holly x
    Holly {Avenue}´s last blog post ..Style Files: Claire Delmar

18. Martine | Mom. Wife. Blogging Belle. commented
    July 15th, 2014 at 5:31pm

How wonderful — such a sweet account of this special day. Happy Anniversary, Holly and Thorsten! Wishing you all the best.
    Martine | Mom. Wife. Blogging Belle.´s last blog post ..Currently Loving: Scarsdale Artisanal Delights

19. Beatrice commented
    July 15th, 2014 at 7:39pm

Happy Anniversary! and to a lifetime of happiness and joy together!

20. Joni commented
    July 15th, 2014 at 9:38pm

I love hearing the stories of how people meet…It shows how truly amazing Life can be! The Best to You…

21. Lucy Chen commented
    July 16th, 2014 at 5:06am

This is so sweet! Happy Anniversary, Holly and Thorsten.
    Lucy Chen´s last blog post ..Alan and Van Gogh on “Paint Like a Child”

22. Mimi commented
    July 16th, 2014 at 6:40pm

What a lovely tribute to a great marriage. Its so nice to hear you speak so lovingly about your husband and the institution of marriage. Yes, it is a journey with many twists and turns, but if you vow to hang on when the road gets a bit bumpy you both emerge stronger than ever. I’ll be celebrating our 35th anniversary in September and each day I look at my husband, I love him more. Happy Anniversary!
    Mimi´s last blog post ..7 Tips for Choosing Mismatched Bridesmaid Bouquets

23. Lemuel Danilo commented
    July 16th, 2014 at 8:12pm

First, congratulations…you both are an inspiration to many people especially in this day and age. Upon reading your story, I remembered a lesson in Theology that says marriage is a commitment. This means that a couple should continually work on their relationship and you have done exactly that.

24. mel commented
    July 17th, 2014 at 3:34am

Holly this has been the most enjoyable heartfelt post I’ve read out there on the net for a while. I just love hearing about how you two met, your story is too cool, an absolute hoot! It’s so clear that you’re both a wonderful team and lift each other up which is SO important. Blessings and happiness to you both for your anniversary. Mel xx
    mel´s last blog post ..My Home Featured on Design*Sponge

25. leigh-ann commented
    July 21st, 2014 at 3:17am

happy anniversary! thanks for the unique insight into marriage – i’m not married yet but it makes me look forward to it. :)