Instagram Fave Friday: Nectar and Stone

Ok so my last post sorta bummed me out so let’s talk about creative handpainted gold leaf baked goods before the weekend hits. I don’t want to end my blog this week talking about dead birds! Downer! I decided to launch a new column on decor8 that I believe I can actually stick to called Instagram Fave Friday because I find a bevy of great stuff on IG and I feel so limited when trying to share great IGers. And trust me, I find some amazing IG peeps because I have a baby and my iPhone is my best friend when he’s asleep in my arms – so I surf and save constantly. I’m an IG machine. So I figured to just devote a weekly column that you can visit on Friday to end each week looking at beautiful things from talented people. Sounds like a plan.

nectar7

I was thinking this morning that IG doesn’t have a real way to share, does it? I mean, you can see some stuff in that News feed but it’s not that great if you follow say, more than 50 people. You miss stuff unless you are refreshing the News feed every 10 seconds and I’m just not into that. Sure, you can fave images but no one can see your faves (which in all honestly I sorta like) but on the other side, when you WANT to share stuff you can either repost or regram it, which I just don’t like, or you have to tweet it but still a tweet doesn’t have much reach these days like a blog post. I still find that my blog posts go the distance when it comes to shares.

Yeah, so I’m going off topic slightly… But I’m going to take you on a little Instagram Fave Friday, my debut installment, right now. Today I’m highlighting IG extraordinaire, Nectar and Stone, who is Donna-Caroline Khoo a Dessert Designer with dreams to open a cakery someday in Melbourne. All I can say is MY GOD SHE SHOULD. Support this woman, people. If you live down there and have some leads for her, or ideas, or whatever she is someone that I believe could do beautiful things with a brick and mortar bakery. What talent. And hello publishers… Book deal alert!

nectar6

On IG Caroline shares the things she makes and bakes, chocolate with gold leaf! Cupcakes! Girly Smoothies! Zebra cookies! Mini ice cream cakes in cones! Ice cream-shaped cookies! I know, I’m really living it up with these exclamation marks but oh! my! so! cute!

nectar3

nectar5

I love what she says about her growing brand, “Nectar and Stone – it’s who I am, what I love, my passion and creativity. I tell a story each day with my designs, colours, photography, flowers and style – it’s a collection of things from my past, present and future. I’m not here to make a quick dollar – my brand is about building loyal followers who love what I do and believe in me. I encourage people to find new ideas and concepts… ” So nicely stated. Makes me want to support her even more.

nectar4

To view her instagram click here, and to check out her website, visit this link.

Yeah, this post is going to blow my diet too.

(images nectar and stone)

Posted by decor8 in food on July 25, 2014

1. Yuri commented
    July 25th, 2014 at 2:35pm

looks so tasty and even too beautiful to be eaten :)

2. Margaret Kassab commented
    July 25th, 2014 at 3:34pm

I love finding new inspiration and I can totally see why they are one of your favs on Instagram. Thank you for giving me two new people to follow! ;-)
    Margaret Kassab´s last blog post ..Sensational Summer Eating

3. {leah} commented
    July 25th, 2014 at 7:13pm

What a lovely woman AND brand. I’m with you – full package. Love what she posts and has to say about her brand! Off to follow!
    {leah}´s last blog post ..free sewing pattern from purl soho – city gym shorts

4. Patricia Shea commented
    July 25th, 2014 at 9:26pm

I’m in love – everything is so pretty! Thanks for the amazing find – off to join their social media :)
    Patricia Shea´s last blog post ..Eccles Cakes perfected – my they’re good!

5. Emily commented
    July 25th, 2014 at 11:04pm

Thanks for sharing Holly. I’m a total Instagram addict and just love to discover new and inspiring people to follow, so I’m going to enjoy your new column.
    Happy Weekend! x
    Emily´s last blog post ..Green Portland

6. Merissa commented
    July 26th, 2014 at 1:22am

Wow! I’m drawn to all the pretty colors! If Caroline were to open a shop she’d be a BIG hit! I can see magazines and tv shows all flocking to her place. Her confections are a mix of old charm with modern flair. Love it!

And about IG, I follow over a thousand people (because there is so much great photos to see) and I always end up missing something. So what I did was to start a 2nd account just concentrating on my favorite thing which happens to be stationery and crafting. The people I follow on my 2nd account are all related to my hobbies as well as the photos I post are all related to it. My 1st account I then dedicated to personal/Hawaii photos. It’s much easier for me that way. But the only thing is that IG doesn’t let you be signed into 2 accounts at the same time.

And sorry for being so long but I did notice that IG’s Explore button (star next to the home button) is now updating with photos of the favorites of the people you follow. If I can recall, Explore used to be what’s popular/trending on IG. I guess they’ve changed. I like it because it’s a great way to find other photos and creatives, since the people I follow have awesome taste. But I guess there’s a downside somewhere to that too.

I’m so happy for this new column you have! I can’t wait to see what other fantastic work you find. I’m always ready to be inspired!
    Merissa´s last blog post ..DIY Tiny Notecards

7. Tina commented
    July 26th, 2014 at 12:47pm

Every Nectar & Stone post is like a new piece of smile-inducing edible artwork… I adore Donna- Caroline’s work and cannot wait to have a special occasion where I can order some of her beautiful baked goods… would love to visit the future Bakery too! :)
    Tina´s last blog post ..Feast Watson Re-love Project Final Reveal!

8. kittybaroque commented
    July 26th, 2014 at 1:24pm

I’m lucky enough to be in Melbourne where Caroline is based. Nectar & Stone did a concept dessert table for a creative craft event – Unleash Creative – I attended a few months ago. There Were chocolate cupcakes in flower pots with chocolate’dirt’ and a sprig of mint, edible Gold buffed cake opts, mini pistachio ice-creams (patisserie filling) and endless pyramid ombré chocolate – you had to be quick to get a photo before any of it went missing. I also had one of this fab chocs again today. Happy to say that although we have never met she has inspired me to just go out there & just build a career around my quirks and her Instagram fills me with gasps of heaven daily.

9. Allison T commented
    July 27th, 2014 at 5:43am

I absolutely love Nectar and Stone! I practically drool every time she post something new! I wish she would ship to the US because I would be all over that.