Trends

August 24, 2014

Warning: This post contains tons of links to amazing Scandinavian companies and oodles of photos showing what’s currently on-trend coming out of Scandinavia. If, and only if, you are okay for a little endless scrolling and tons of inspiration then let us begin. First, my friend Tinna drove up to Copenhagen to visit DesignTrade, a leading Danish interiors fair that runs from August 24-26, kicking off in just a few hours from now. I got my hands on their brochure in advance and looked up lots of their brands so I could pull together some of my favorite products with hopes of spotting a few trends. And I did!

OYOY

As summer winds down it seems everyone wants get going with Fall interiors preparations especially with all of the upcoming events between back-to-school and the holidays, etc. and the changing of the seasons. Nothing gets me more inspired than seeing new collections and how brands are interpreting trends in their own way, how colors are being used, which materials are hot and what the general vibe for the Fall/Winter season will be. Here are some brands that are exhibiting at DesignTrade right now, do you spot some trends from this batch? At the bottom of this post, I’ve called out what I see trending for objects, colors, materials and the overall mood of the moment.

DesignTrade + Interiors Trends For Fall/Winter 2014

Pernille Snedker Hansen (art + prints)

Finnsdottir Ceramic Design

Saana ja Olli

vaja

Trip Trap

monq

vanilla fly

normann copenhagen

muuto

snowdrops furniture

TRIMM Copenhagen

DesignTrade + Interiors Trends For Fall/Winter 2014

paradisco productions (floor to ceiling posters)

sen-sen

Froh & Frau (posters)

OYOY

Menu A/S

Menu A/S

Finnsdottir Ceramic Design

DesignTrade + Interiors Trends For Fall/Winter 2014

Michelle Carlslund Illustration (posters)

Foxy Potato

DesignTrade + Interiors Trends For Fall/Winter 2014

Arne Jacobsen MiiBoxen from MiniMii (open it and it’s like a dollhouse that the whole family can decorate!)

Anne Black Ceramics

Ferm Living

Nynne Rosenvinge (illustrations)

One Must Dash (posters)

Novoform

Norr11

OYOY

Muuto

Overall: A bit Scandinavian Japanese in my eyes! My friend Sania Pell calls this style Scandinese. The ultimate in form meeting function – an excellent balance of both. Clean, clear, simple yet still manages to draw in the eye through bold geometric patterns and geometric shapes, interesting material combinations, etc.

Patterns: Geometrics – strong and clear forms and colors. Color blocking. Triangles!

Colors: Black, Mint, Salmon, Pale Blue, White, Mustard, Gray,  Nude, Peach, Deep Rose

Materials: Marble, gold, glass, natural wood, ceramics, concrete, plywood, cork – some copper but definitely not trending as much as last year.

Objects: Ceramics in simple forms with gorgeous glazes, glass vases with wooden bottoms or concrete tops, etc., Porcelain vases with wooden bases, small round tables as coffee tables with marble tops, colored glass, concrete shelving, round mirrors, low benches, leaning mirrors that have slim legs, splattered “ink” on linens, paper napkins, feathers, plywood furniture, plywood art and signs, metal or marble candlestick holders etc. Also trays and stools.

Don’t you feel like we were just walking this fair together in Copenhagen? Me too! See anything that you love?

(images: linked to their sources above)

26 Comments

• Reply Yuko Jones | northfield gate August 24, 2014 at 2:48 pm

Scandinavian Japanese sounds awesome (I’m Japanese :)) I’ve been wanted to incorporate more simple & modern design with a little bit of old world twist, so this is perfect!

• Reply Susan Serra August 24, 2014 at 2:49 pm

Holly, this is a treasure trove of beautiful, top quality design! Just two days ago I returned from Denmark purposely to attend the craft fair in Copenhagen which I’ve attended before. I could not add these days to my trip, but I took lots of photos at the fair and bought lots of wonderful things from the makers. These two resources are wonderful for me to look through. Thank you!

• Reply decor8 August 24, 2014 at 6:38 pm

@Susan – Oh too bad you missed this fair, maybe next year!!!At least you can visit through decor8. :)

• Reply CHLOE August 24, 2014 at 3:09 pm

Scandinavian style is just stunning. Thanks for all the great links! I can’t wait to get lost in them all!! Super dangerous territory!

♡chloehay.com/blog CHLOE HAY

• Reply sidsel August 24, 2014 at 6:38 pm

Grat collection Holly. I’m also very happy to spot 2 of my former students on the list Monq and Ropke :) Not that I can take credit since I only taught them about logo design – but it still puts a smile on my face.

• Reply decor8 August 24, 2014 at 6:39 pm

@sidsel – Hello my dear! Long time no speak! :) How are you doing???

• Reply sidsel August 24, 2014 at 10:55 pm

@Holly – fine thanks – yes I’m a bit quiet around the blogs lately – Have been swamped in work and teaching – but doing great! Thanks :)

• Reply Susan Serra August 25, 2014 at 12:05 am

decor8, And it’s delightful for me to do so!!

• Reply ann August 25, 2014 at 12:28 am

Love the modern doll house on the wall!

• Reply appleleaf August 25, 2014 at 5:24 am

WOW some of these are stunning, what excellent elegance and taste. Truly beautiful.

• Reply Micala August 25, 2014 at 8:35 am

Holly thank you, this is a stunning post and really inspiring! As a beginner surface pattern designer your trend forecasting is very interesting too. I’m actually looking forward to Autumn now!

• Reply Christina / KreaVilla August 25, 2014 at 9:30 am

I live in Denmark and just visited the fair and would definately recommend you to take a look at Nomess and DesignNation and all the upcoming designers in area B1+B2.

You can see some pictures from my visit at Instagram @Kreavilla.

Looking forward to see what cought you interest at DesignTrade.

Best regards

• Reply Ingrid K. August 25, 2014 at 9:57 am

Hello!

First, let me say what an inspiring blog you have! :)
    And this post! It’s a feast for the eyes, I love it!!! Such wonderful design, very calming yet intriguing!
    Thanks for the many gorgeous photos!!!
    Ingrid xx
    myfunkycrochet.blogspot.be (I’m new to blogging!)

• Reply lulu August 25, 2014 at 10:33 am

just awesome stuff holly – I love this style of design but unfortunately im at the other end of the world (south Africa ) but through your post today im able to enjoy (and lust!!!) after some incredible design :)

• Reply Sarah Yakawonis August 25, 2014 at 3:11 pm

It’s so nice to see so many soft feminine colors! I was blown away because I just finished a paper art print that would have fit right in! Yay for being accidentally on trend!!

• Reply Lucy Chen August 25, 2014 at 3:23 pm

Even the flower arrangements look and feel Japanese, don’t they?

• Reply Door August 25, 2014 at 4:21 pm

Thanks a lot for the photos. It’s a great inspiration.

• Reply Ria August 25, 2014 at 6:52 pm

Thank you Holly! Nice Collection!
    Now I can relax & explore those lovely brands….

• Reply she August 25, 2014 at 9:34 pm

Love it all

• Reply Jane Thomas August 25, 2014 at 11:40 pm

Adore the mint and pale pink. It seems mint has been trending for ages! Love the wood on wood too. I have got a real thin for plywood lately but wonder if it’s best kept for photo shoots rather than real houses? Hmm…

• Reply Ace August 26, 2014 at 5:06 am

Truly inspiring designs all over here!

• Reply Marlan Willardson August 27, 2014 at 12:27 am

Beautiful! Love the kids’ stuff.

• Reply Anya August 28, 2014 at 5:11 pm

Love the idea of Scandinese – and yes it looked very much like that. Great images and great companies :)

• Reply marcella iolanda August 28, 2014 at 10:16 pm

What an inspiring compilation of interior styling & design pieces. I will scroll to your post more than once.

• Reply Nicole August 29, 2014 at 12:37 am

Lovely round up Holly thank you. I would really like to attend this fair – Denmark does design so well! Next year hopefully :) till then, this post will serve as great inspiration!

• Reply Jens Mortensen February 18, 2015 at 4:58 pm

I really like the fusion between the raw organic materials, and rough surfaces such concrete and metal. I gives the feeling of contrast between nature and the safety and comfort the home should provide.

Definitely a lot of great source of inspiration!

Thanks for sharing! – I wish I could have been there :)