Objects

Textiles From The Amsterdam Studio of Mae Engelgeer

August 25, 2014

I really like the work of Mae Engelgeer who is a Dutch textile designer located in Amsterdam. Her blankets, weavings, placemats and tablecloths are just lovely. See what you think…

Textiles From The Amsterdam Studio of Mae Engelgeer

Textiles From The Amsterdam Studio of Mae Engelgeer

Textiles From The Amsterdam Studio of Mae Engelgeer

Textiles From The Amsterdam Studio of Mae Engelgeer

Textiles From The Amsterdam Studio of Mae Engelgeer

Her bio is too lovely to chop up so I think I’ll share it with you in part, “One thing immediately stands out in Mae’s approach to design: she isn’t afraid to show color. Her approach to design and her working method is really instinctive, sensory and natural. Her work can be described as fresh, modern and eye-catching. For her it is really about the ‘feel’ of a fabric and she tries to ‘bring a fabric to life’. Mae Engelgeer has a background in fashion (Amsterdam Fashion Institute) and autonomous arts and design (Sandberg Instituut), which adds up to a versatile education. Underneath this diversity runs a very clear thread, a heartbeat of ikat patterns, a close collaboration with the TextileLab, and of course the baseline of pop coloring. All of those elements emerge from Mae’s intuition, ultimately coming together into a unique sensible whole.” I can definitely see the ikat inspiration, can’t you?

(images: Mae Engelgeer via Passion Shake)

12 Comments

• Reply Laura August 25, 2014 at 9:58 pm

Ah I love her work! Happy to see that you’re sharing her work. Everyone should know about her :)

I got to swoon over some of her work yesterday at ShowUp in Amsterdam. I love the rugs she now does as well. I’m a BIG fan!
    I took a few snaps of the setup at ShowUp on Instagram: @lauravdlinde The styling is gorgeous.
    XO Laura

• Reply 2moiselles August 25, 2014 at 10:06 pm

Wow, I love this collection!!

• Reply Sabine August 25, 2014 at 10:38 pm

I’ve just returned form Amsterdam where I could see Mae’s lovely work live – it’s wonderful. Calm, simple and eye-catching, indeed. Best, Sabine

• Reply Yuko Jones | northfield gate August 26, 2014 at 8:03 am

Those tablecloths and placemats!! They will be on my Christmas wish list for sure! I love that she tries to bring a fabric to life. This is how I try to approach my own artwork…although it doesn’t always work that way ;)

• Reply Aga | Passion shake August 26, 2014 at 11:08 am

Thank you for mentioning me Holly :) Those prints are truly beautiful x

• Reply Sabahnur August 26, 2014 at 12:38 pm

love these color sheme.. love her style .

• Reply Gemma Eve August 26, 2014 at 2:35 pm

Beautiful , I especially like the print of the final piece!

Just did my first interior design post featuring Made.com, check it out :)
    whichit.blogspot.com

• Reply Debbie August 26, 2014 at 10:25 pm

Love her work. Especially like that she finds a way to weave orange –the Dutch national color — in to each piece.

• Reply Carla August 26, 2014 at 11:03 pm

Interesting designs & colour choices!
    You may want to check out my art blog for the occasional (fibre) art post.

• Reply Vincent baignoire August 27, 2014 at 10:27 am

Amazing collection, I’ve been many times to Amsterdam and always came back with the finest tablecloth, some i’ve had for over 10 years. People are asking all the time where they can find similar fabric.

• Reply Ace August 27, 2014 at 10:39 am

Mae Engelgeer really has some amazing talent, thanks for introducing her!

• Reply Sade August 28, 2014 at 11:10 am

I love Mae Engelgeer’s work! Her textured rugs are so lovely. I would love to have one in my home. They look so contemporary and modern. I love the styling in the photos too!