Decorating Tips

September 4, 2014

I’ve had this thing for pegboard lately. First time in my life really. A sorta crush. It’s not that common where I live so I’m not even sure where to buy it in Germany but I’ll begin my search soon since I want it in my new work studio. It seems very smart and functional but also looks good if done right. I think it’s all of the dots. My favorite color is white but it seems to come in a myriad of colors, unless the colorful ones that I’m seeing are paint jobs. I know so little about this material, we never used them in my nearly 10 years designing corporate offices. But then again, how creative and fun is office design for mutual fund companies and banks, right? If I had spent that time designing graphic design and creative studios, I would have run into pegboard a lot more often in my adventures I’m sure. The one thing that I noticed while looking at pegboard is the many different ways it is used – not just in an office! I’ve included 14 examples in this post. In the nursery? Yes! In the garage? Yes! Over the bed in a kid’s room? Yes!

14 Creative Ideas For Pegboard

1. To organize clipboards in a work space or hallway. I love this found on The Design Files.

14 Creative Ideas For Pegboard
2. Pegboard cut in a letter shape. This is a fun DIY on Rue Rococo. I just love it. A for Aidan?
14 Creative Ideas For Pegboard
3. A sideboard with pegboard doors. Super brilliant. This is from Home Base Collections designed by Leanne Culy (in love, want!).

14 Creative Ideas For Pegboard
4. As doors for wooden cubes near a desk featured in VTWonen.
14 Creative Ideas For Pegboard
5. As a modern headboard – this DIY is on MSN.

14 Creative Ideas For Pegboard
6. Over the bed in kid’s rooms. This clever idea is from Land of Nod.
14 Creative Ideas For Pegboard
7. A DIY memo board from Lowe’s for the kitchen…
14 Creative Ideas For Pegboard
8. A pegboard coatrack with cross stitch detail by Beci Orpin.
14 Creative Ideas For Pegboard
9. As a backdrop for displaying art at home from The Design Files.
14 Creative Ideas For Pegboard
10. To display cards or as a seating chart at a wedding as found in the beautiful book Handmade Weddings (DIY online here).

14 Creative Ideas For Pegboard

11. Go monochromatic above a desk in the home of Mandy Pellegrin from Fabric Paper Glue. Oh this looks so good.

14 Creative Ideas For Pegboard

12. Painted cross stitch pegboard in the office of Craft and Creativity (DIY here). Another fun idea!

14 Creative Ideas For Pegboard

13. In a baby’s nursery above a changing table. What an interesting idea, I like it. You don’t have to put so many holes in the wall, either. Photo by Erin J. Saldana for 100LayerCakeLet.

14 Creative Ideas For Pegboard

14. In a workshop. This is where jeweler Kim Victoria Wearne makes her gorgeous jewelry, I want to own the entire collection by the way… As seen on The Design Files.

Do you like pegboard? Any of these examples appeal to you? Where do I find it in Germany and what is the German word for it? Stecktafel doesn’t seem to be the right term. Werkzeugwand seems to be made of metal and for tools. In Dutch it seems the word is geperforeerd hardboard, so maybe it’s similar in German… It’s basically just particle board with holes in it. Help!

(images linked to their sources above).

29 Comments

• Reply Yuko Jones | northfield gate September 4, 2014 at 3:51 pm

#2 + #3 + # 10! Now my new obsession begins…

• Reply matemo September 4, 2014 at 4:23 pm

I love the letter shaped pegboard and the cross stitched one, lovely ideas! ♥

• Reply Emily Stowe September 4, 2014 at 4:24 pm

I love love love the one with the painted “cross stitched” roses on it! That inspires me to use pegboard instead of canvas for my mixed media paintings. I could embroider with fat yarns and beads, as well as paint! So excited to try it!

• Reply Amber September 4, 2014 at 4:27 pm

I really like #9! I’ve never thought of incorporating clothespins to the board before!

• Reply Devan September 4, 2014 at 4:58 pm

Don’t forget it’s great in the kitchen, Julia Childs style! We use ours for additional vertical space to store our pots and pans.

• Reply Lea September 4, 2014 at 5:39 pm

Hey Holly,
    I think you fall them. ‘Lochplatten’ in German and normaly you should get them in every ‘Baumarkt’ !

Lea

• Reply Günes September 4, 2014 at 6:13 pm

I like it. Lochwand könnte passen.

• Reply Sayeh, The Office Stylist September 4, 2014 at 7:32 pm

This is such a creative way to turn a boring pegboard into something so creative and cute! Love it!

• Reply Chalotte Kruse September 4, 2014 at 7:53 pm

Thats very cool!!! :D Love the variations. :)

• Reply Kreetta September 4, 2014 at 8:46 pm

That painted cross stitch is tempting!

• Reply Aidel.K September 4, 2014 at 10:00 pm

Fantastic round-up. I put a piece of white pegboard in my kitchen about 2 years ago. It’s so handy I want to cover my house with it. It doesn’t quite work everywhere, though. It needs wooden supports behind it to hold it out from the wall (or cabinet door or whatever) in order to leave room for the hangers to go in.

• Reply Hilu September 4, 2014 at 10:28 pm

Try “gelochte Hartfaserplatte” at a “Baumarkt.” I never thought I’d see cross-stitching on a peg board; it looks fantastic!

• Reply Helen Mc September 5, 2014 at 2:45 am

So timely!
    I have been dreaming about a whole pegboard wall in my daughter’s bedroom. We are planning to move interstate and rent for a while, so I don’t think they will appreciate 50 pictures on the wall. However, I will build a frame to fit the wall, attach the pegboard and wedge / velcro it in place.
    Then I can hang her pictures / mementos / stuff to my heart’s content!

• Reply Amber Rhodes September 5, 2014 at 3:14 am

What a fantastic idea for behind the kid’s beds, especially when they get a bit older and accumulate more stuff!

• Reply Geeske September 5, 2014 at 8:56 am

Great for my teenage boy!!

• Reply Clare September 5, 2014 at 1:01 pm

Love these ideas! I’ve had a couple of large pegboards that I’ve used in various places around my home My favourite use was as my bed head after my daughter and I sprayed them silver and then stitched in patterns with wool. You can see the end result here http://mondocherry.blogspot.com.au/2013/03/3-balls-of-wool-my-diy-headboard.html?m=1

• Reply Mari September 5, 2014 at 4:25 pm

This is such a wonderful helpful share. Great useful ideas for sure, just added to my future projects folder thank you!!!

• Reply Kerry September 5, 2014 at 5:28 pm

Pegboards are top of my wishlist as soon as we get our new house!
    I can’t wait to have something that’s so functional but also looks great – i especially love the coloured ones!

• Reply Katy at Apartment Apothecary September 5, 2014 at 5:50 pm

Hi Holly.

I am also obsessed with pegboard at the moment and have used it in my new home office that you can see here: http://www.apartmentapothecary.com/wordpress/photo/diy-home-office/

I bought mine for just £8 from Amazon (but you do generally have to paint it yourself). If you want to spend a bit more there is a lovely company that does them in a whole range of great colours with lovely matching hooks too: http://www.blockdesign.co.uk/pegboard/

X

• Reply decor8 September 6, 2014 at 7:49 pm

@Katy at Apartment Apothecary – I LOVE your AFTER photos, thank you for sharing the link to your blog with those photos – looks totally organized and just great. I love that your work surface/desk isn’t along the wall but in the middle of the room so you have more storage options for the walls. Clever idea. I also must admit to getting a little giddy when I saw my first book, Decorate, on your shelf!!! xooxox

• Reply Caitriona Tighe September 6, 2014 at 6:06 pm

The letter peg board is super cute. Aghh this makes me want like 7,000,000 of them now ahahah

Cait | caitrionatighe.blogspot.ie/

• Reply shoma abhyankar September 7, 2014 at 4:49 am

wonderful ideas…I might start with tool peg board soon . Thanks for sharing

• Reply Wrenaissance Art September 7, 2014 at 8:55 pm

I am enamored with #11 & #14!
    For visual organizers, it’s a great way to have everything at hand. We’ve got diamond plaster walls on concrete though, so not sure how to safely hang pegboard without ruining the walls.
    Isn’t it funny when you learn a language how many words for practical, everyday things are never included in your language class? It’s so awkward trying to describe what you’re looking for to a hardware store guy–like playing 20 questions, lol. :-)

• Reply naama September 11, 2014 at 8:25 pm

handmaderomance.blogspot.co.il/2012/08/ena-and-albert.html

• Reply Colleen Welsch September 21, 2014 at 4:23 pm

I want to hang up pegboard in my kitchen!

• Reply Sharon Vanelli January 14, 2015 at 3:36 pm

Absolutely love the peg boards and really every idea you have thanks for new ideas always open for new ideas.

• Reply j August 21, 2015 at 2:02 pm

in case you’re still hunting for pegboard in Germany (a year later… ;)), modular in Berlin has it, but they only sell it in store.

i was looking for it for a long time, too! seems like the hardware stores only sell a metal version.

• Reply Tonya Washington March 9, 2016 at 10:07 pm

I love the ideas shown in #14. I might set up my beeding/jewelry station like that even though I don’t do things as fancy. I would replace the plants with some of my crosses. They just seem to inspire me. I think the ones from here would fit in the area. lindaandbobsmall.com

• Reply Rose M Ellitch June 14, 2016 at 11:15 pm

I love, Love Love all the ideas for pegboards. I”m designing an art studio in my home and I’m going to use some of these ideas for the walls.