Inspiration

October 19, 2014

I found lots of fun family homes recently in the photography portfolio of Hans Mossel and couldn’t resist sharing some because they represent how lots of us really want to live – a bit cluttered, personal, a little messy, creative and unapologetic. Polished-perfect spaces in all of their gorgeous unattainableness just isn’t cutting it for most of us anymore. At the end of the day you, especially if you have children, you simply want a home that feels like YOU and allows your family to feel supported, cozy and genuinely at home without having to fight with them over keeping it super tidy or free from fingerprints.

Happy Family Decorating From Photographer Hans Mossel

And sure, it can be beautifully decorated, no shame in that, but I find casual creative homes have so much more life – so much more appeal – than slick glossy pads with expensive furnishings that lack personality. Maybe that’s a life phase that we go through when we’re single and young, when impressing others is at the top of our list. But as you enter your thirties and beyond, you just want to be comfortable at home. I’ve always said this, on my blog and in my books but now with an 8-month-old who has been crawling for two months and is trying to walk, well, you can imagine that my decorating style is evolving still and I love it. These fun and quirky spaces, I hope, will inspire you just as they did me. These rooms are happy and family-friendly. Enjoy!

Happy Family Decorating From Photographer Hans Mossel

I love the photography of Hans Mossel, who is located Groningen, Netherlands and shoots for some of the country’s best publications, like magazine VTWonen where I’ve spotted his work before since I’ve been a subscriber for over 5 years. What I’ve shown you is a mere snippet of his work – for more inspiration visit his vast and beautiful portfolio online right here. You can also follow him on Facebook and Instagram @hansmossel too.

What lovely homes with so many details to absorb and try in your own home. Did you spot anything that you liked? I loved the colors – mint, pinky peach, bold orange, blue – so fun!

(images:hans mossel)

You Might Also Like

11 Comments

• Reply Tracy Gooding October 19, 2014 at 9:28 pm

Dear Holly, I couldn’t agree with you more! I think the people who live in these spaces are happier and more carefree than those we see in those perfect uptight spaces. I find myself flipping through shelter magazines with more and more disinterest, and finding my inspiration in blogs such as yours which present a realistic, pretty and individualistic way of living. Tracy xx

• Reply Debbie October 19, 2014 at 9:30 pm

The photo of the shower/bathtub immediately jumps out as a disaster waiting to happen. No one would seriously put those things on a wall where they would constantly be subjected to water, especially given there is no shower curtain so the water will be going everywhere…to say nothing of the objects one must avoid when getting in and out of the tub on the landing. The idea might be cute, but only for a photo shoot. These photos definitely look like many Dutch homes as portrayed in the NL living mags but I’ve yet to see one that actually looks like the this. All the distressed wood flooring and furniture, PIP fabrics, big letters as decorations, and neon wasi tape….maybe one of these in a home but not all of them, and certainly not all in one room. As a grouping to give readers ideas it’s fine, but it’s not how most Dutch people would decorate.

• Reply Eleanor October 19, 2014 at 11:14 pm

So cute! Love the use of pastels.

• Reply Nannette October 20, 2014 at 11:09 am

Thanks for the discovery of this photographer!
    I love these “personal interiors” so much more than the ‘slick’ styled ones, too!!

• Reply Sandy Deasey October 20, 2014 at 11:13 am

Love these so much! The colours are perfect – just right for a cheerful little family nest.

• Reply abigail October 20, 2014 at 12:42 pm

I love all of the color in this house! So inspirational!

• Reply Kristin at Interior Nature October 20, 2014 at 3:25 pm

Thank you for your much needed statements on the condition of “Polished-perfect” design. And those photos, what a gorgeous, natural and personal find! That’s what’s real perfection. May more of us be able to plant seeds of design reflecting our individual human and family natures.

• Reply Cheryl von Tress October 22, 2014 at 5:29 am

Homes designed for every day living. YES. Showroom decorating is passé and boring. I love these fresh face home photos you chose! When do we get to visit them. I’ll bring tea and my famous Mississippi Gooey Butter Cake. Not as dangerous to the waistline as it sounds.

• Reply Cheryl von Tress October 22, 2014 at 5:29 am

Yes, joining in. My website is on hold while I regroup.

• Reply Amber October 22, 2014 at 4:51 pm

I love the colors too! I’m crazy about pastels on worn wood.

• Reply Chi chi Furniture November 6, 2014 at 12:01 pm

Oh how I agree. I am a perfectionist at heart, but having kids and trying to keep a ‘perfect’ home is just constantly fighting a losing battle. I want my kids and friends to feel relaxed and welcome in my home and constantly telling children to not touch and get off the furniture isn’t right and ultimately its me that gets stressed. I think thats why the rustic look can be so appealing. It still looks great, oozing character and warmth and the chippy, distressed pieces aren’t meant to look perfect. I love the blue wardrobe above, its colourful and stylish, yet practical. You can still add a touch of glamour to a space with lighting, mirrors and art.