Decorating Tips

Before + After: My Entry With Pineapple Wallpaper

November 7, 2014

Want to see some embarrassing before photos of my home followed by some inspiring after ones? Okay so I’m totally psyched to share this with you because I love, love, love working on decorating projects and this wallpaper project, which I’ve teamed up with Aimee Wilder in Brooklyn on, is just bananas. Or in this case, pineapples. Remember this paper from the other day?

Before + After: My Entry With Pineapple Wallpaper

That’s what has transformed my entry. But truthfully, outside of designing my son’s nursery before his arrival this year, I’ve not done much of anything in my home except think about things I need to do before I lose my mind. Despite my love of motherhood, I also love my home. I can’t deal when rooms are upside down or incomplete, this makes me feel chaotic in my head. Can you relate? Home is my sanctuary, my place of love, peace, dreams and aspirations. If it’s a cluttered dump or piled with half-finished projects, I can’t give 100% to my family, friends or job.

And you know that expression, don’t do anything half ass – use your whole ass.

So I decided to use ALL of mine and work on a project this week that has been annoying me the most – my depressingly unwelcoming entryway. But first. Three truths.

1. I rent.
  2. We aren’t moving anytime soon.
  3. I have to live my life NOW because none of us are getting any younger.

BAM! All are challenges and inspirations. And they affected this project. I think the hardest thing is to pay for stuff in a rental that you can’t take with you when you move. But unless you imagine having the same wallpaper on your walls for the REST OF YOUR LIFE then wallpaper really isn’t as hard to commit to as you may think. Sure, it’s an investment. But it’s a bigger emotional investment to come home to a space that doesn’t have YOU written all over it. That is depressing. It drains you.

I have this philosophy that I’ve written in my books already but in case you missed it, I believe that if you make your home a great place, even if it’s a rental, you will become more successful in other areas of your life. That may sound really far out, but in my life, it’s just how it is. I have always been the most productive, the slimmest, had the most money and been the most energetic when I lived in a space that was decorated and organized well. My hope is that this wallpaper will make me rich and thin. (smile)

Before + After: My Entry With Pineapple Wallpaper

I’m also not one to wait until I own my home before I properly decorate it. Never have been. I remember gut renovating my first apartment when I was 22 years old living on my own in Boston. While I won’t install something like a new bathroom into a rental, I am willing to work on smallish projects that have major impact. Like paint and wallpaper. And while wallpaper and installation aren’t cheap by any means, it is so worth it to do at least one complete room in a home and/or a feature wall somewhere. I have one wall in my tiny half bath with wallpaper and now, my entryway in giant golden pineapples – and to borrow from Jerry MaGuire – It “completes me”.

Am I crazy? Yup. Positively mad.

But that’s a good thing because crazy people take risks and have more fun. Just like no one ever wrote a song about a skinny flat butt, no one ever wrote a hit song, film script or book about a normal person doing normal things. Bleh. We all crave a little crazy.

Where I’m from (I grew up in South Carolina), a pineapple was the welcoming fruit. It meant hello, we love ya, have some iced tea on our front porch, tell us about your day. We had a brass pineapple door knocker (always). We had a brass pineapple on own living room bookcase because that was the 80s, brass was were it was at. I’ve never not lived in a home without a pineapple somewhere – until now. I gave away my gorgeous white ceramic pineapple to a friend before I relocated to Germany and I’ve missed having it around. Seeing one always made me think happy thoughts associated with home and love. My fruity talisman. And now I have a billion of them! The moment I step into my home I’m greeted with an explosive reminder of warmth, welcome and love. Everywhere. It’s bonkers and I love it. When I walk in, my view sure has changed from before…

Before + After: My Entry With Pineapple Wallpaper

Before + After: My Entry With Pineapple Wallpaper

Before + After: My Entry With Pineapple Wallpaper

Before + After: My Entry With Pineapple Wallpaper

Before + After: My Entry With Pineapple Wallpaper

Above: The view from the main stairwell into our apartment after I’ve opened our double doors.

This transformation was done by removing an ugly unused radiator from the right wall, stripping old wood chip wallpaper off the walls and replacing it pineapples and getting an inexpensive pendant from a local shop, handmade in Thailand. Now I can’t wait to finish the room with furniture, a rug, coat hook, etc. I’ll show you the finished room soon! But doesn’t it make a huge difference to add a little wallpaper?

Designer: Aimee Wilder
Wallpaper: Piña Sola
Color: Spinx
Note: You can order a sample, single roll, double roll, or a gorgeous sheet of it if you don’t want to wallpaper with it but frame instead which would be gorgeous. Please note: I didn’t install the paper myself, I hired out for the work, so if you ask me questions about installation I’m not your girl. All I can say is that this is the most gorgeous paper and in person it’s even more stunning than in my snapshots.

I’d like to thank Aimee Wilder and her team for sponsoring this project by donating this beautiful wallpaper. I contacted them with my idea and they were so supportive and lovely, which gave even more good energy to the project. Thank you ladies!

SO DO YOU LIKE IT?

(images: holly becker for decor8)

49 Comments

• Reply Art & Hue November 7, 2014 at 2:52 pm

Who doesn’t love metallic fruit!? :-) also love the pineapple shaped pendant. Look forward to seeing the furniture in the space

• Reply Maggie @Maggie Overby Studios November 7, 2014 at 2:52 pm

What an improvement. Can’t wait to see it all decked out!

• Reply Kathrin from Happy Home November 7, 2014 at 3:03 pm

I love it! What a beautiful wallpaper. It makes your entrance very welcoming. What a huge difference.

Now that I have been to their webpage I want to wallpaper every other room ;-)

Looking forward to the rest of the room
    Kathrin

• Reply annton November 7, 2014 at 3:04 pm

I am in love. This is such a stunning transformation, beautiful and a bit cheeky as well.

• Reply Anna November 7, 2014 at 3:08 pm

Bardzo podoba mi się twoja koncepcja ;o)

• Reply Nicola Fanstone November 7, 2014 at 3:17 pm

Wow! This is awesome, it looks so cute and unique and what a lovely story behind it!

• Reply Bex November 7, 2014 at 3:37 pm

Love this post. Love the words, love the humour, love the crazy, love the pineapples, love the transformation. Love it! (could you tell?!) can’t wait to see it with everything else completed.
    Ps. I (somewhat unusually) bought a pineapple this morning. That’s enough of a sign for me. Heading over to their website now!

• Reply decor8 November 7, 2014 at 5:12 pm

@Bex – That is so awesome – you have to get it and show me the results so we can be pineapple twins! :)

• Reply Iclal | Passion & Paranoia November 7, 2014 at 3:39 pm

Yes! I’ve been waiting on this post and I’m loving it. It looks great! We rent too and I’m so upset that I can’t paint or put up wallpaper because we move almost every year. We just moved to another country and it looks like we won’t be moving out of our current apartment for a couple of years so I’m definitely thinking of adding some color, preferably a cute wallpaper like yours! Thanks a lot for sharing this, I need to show my husband and make him ok with the idea of adding some color, especially in our hall ways.

passionandparanoia.com

• Reply Polly November 7, 2014 at 5:14 pm

I love this project! The wallpaper is to die for. I loved reading what you said about how although it is harder to invest in a rental property, you are right that we are still living there for years and need to feel at home and happy! Inspiring :)

• Reply decor8 November 7, 2014 at 5:18 pm

Art & Hue,
    Thank you so much for noticing that! Good eye! :)

• Reply decor8 November 7, 2014 at 5:21 pm

Iclal | Passion & Paranoia,

Good idea, even if it’s on one wall, it can make such an impact on your mood. Since this paper went up yesterday, I walk into my apartment now and feel so much joy. I also love opening the door now when the Fed Ex and UPS guys come, because now I want to swing the door open with a smile instead of opening it by a crack because I’m embarrassed of my how bad the room looks.

• Reply decor8 November 7, 2014 at 5:21 pm

annton,

CHEEKY – YES I love that, you’re right.

• Reply Art & Hue November 7, 2014 at 5:52 pm

decor8, thanks! i try! :-)

• Reply Judy November 7, 2014 at 5:55 pm

Love this wall paper! Looks great anything with gold pineapples is beautiful!

• Reply clara heppner November 7, 2014 at 8:11 pm

You know what? I don´t like the look but they make me happy, because you seem to be happy. Once again this shows that its mostly right to follow your heart. You will be happier than before in 9 out of 10 times when you follow your heart. Thats always the way. And if the pineapples make you happy: YAY! Great! You go, girl!

I liked the plain walls, but thats just me ;-)

• Reply ellen crimi-trent November 7, 2014 at 8:22 pm

looking good Miss Holly!

• Reply Marianne November 7, 2014 at 8:36 pm

Lovely!!

And with no direct sunlight coming in, the golden wallpaper brings sparkle and lightness to your entry. Perfect!

• Reply Afke November 7, 2014 at 8:54 pm

I think the pineapples are great! And i feel the same about having my home finished like i want it otherwise i dont feel right.

• Reply Jeanette November 7, 2014 at 9:25 pm

well done!! Such a cool transformation. Chic and bright and fresh and totally totally cool. Love it.

• Reply Christine November 7, 2014 at 10:01 pm

The pineapple wallpaper looks gorgeous in you entryway!! I agree with what you said – that a well decorated and organized home can uplevel our life. It brings us more joy and happiness and this translates to being more creative and productive, and it nourishes our soul!

• Reply Eclectic Hamilton November 7, 2014 at 10:46 pm

Holly, i love your wallpaper.
    It looks amazing!!!

Greetings & Love & a wonderful weekend
    Ines

• Reply Joanna November 7, 2014 at 10:48 pm

Looks Ahhhmazzzingggg.

• Reply lisad November 7, 2014 at 11:14 pm

It’s lovely but you didn’t mention that the wallpaper costs more than a lot of us could even imagine. I found some gorgeous cats and they are $165 per roll. Am I being miserly to say that is too much too spend on wallpaper? Also the sample or sheet says unavailable for the shadowcat design.

• Reply decor8 November 8, 2014 at 6:15 pm

@lisad – I agree, cost is always something we take into consideration. So what I advise do what I’m doing if you splurge on something in a home – do everything around it “cheaply” but still classy and you should even out. Like I used a light that cost $50 and coat hooks that are cheap and an affordable rug and IKEA furniture and affordable mirrors and art for the wall. It’s the way to balance it all.

• Reply Lee Pope November 8, 2014 at 12:08 am

I love it!!!

• Reply Amber Rhodes November 8, 2014 at 1:42 am

Absolutely love love love this wallpaper! It is so cute. And gold just looks so glamorous!

• Reply Janette Yamaguchi November 8, 2014 at 2:45 am

Love! And love the emotional charge it gives you. Thanks for sharing.

• Reply MIREYA PIZARRO November 8, 2014 at 3:41 am

Lovely place and can’t wait to see the rest of it. Gold pineapples came out great

• Reply Marinda November 8, 2014 at 9:47 am

To me, decoration must never be solely decoration. It must have some emotional worth and this is the PERFECT example. It is a lovely print, which gives you the warmth and love not only a great design will give you- but also the emotional worth.

• Reply Susanne November 8, 2014 at 10:57 am

I not only like it, I love your entrance. I am a total fan of “Altbauwohnungen” in general and especially of entrance areas. This pineapple wallpaper adds this wonderful quirky twist to it.
    I also fully agree to make your house your home- even if it is a rental and in the course of my life I moved so many times and always invested in other peoples houses to make it fit my and my family needs. I never regret any investments but sometimes think twice as well before I decide to spend money yet again for a plaster wall or a door or new paint etc.
    We never used the dinning room -which is a very nice room and has a lovely table- in our current house before I finally decided against only painting the walls and convinced my hubbie- who is not a big fan of wallpaper- to put some on a feature wall. Now the light creates different pieces of art on it according to the time of the day and year and our family life happens in this room.. I am again very happy with the investment and get so much back on a daily basis. Thank you for this beautiful post.
    Sanne

• Reply Aga | Passion shake November 8, 2014 at 11:30 am

I love it Holly (the wallpaper and the lamp)! Can’t wait to see all the other elements :)

• Reply karina November 8, 2014 at 11:34 am

Wow… what a fantastic transfomation :) Beautiful wallpaper, and I’m so jealous of your apartment ;) I have to admit though you’re american, your apartment is very scandinavian. I live in Scandinavia (Denmark) and I’m an educated house-painter, so I have seen many homes during my time as a painter. Your home is fantastic :)

• Reply Natalie Gerlack November 8, 2014 at 11:53 am

This room is gorgeous!! Gold is everything. I especially love your line about the wallpaper making you thin and rich, ha, love!

• Reply Mariella November 8, 2014 at 2:49 pm

Hi Holly, this is gorgeous! Well done and since I live in a rental myself I find what you say very inspiring and comforting at the same time…I am like that too can’t stand living in a place that doesn’t reflect myself or my family spirit so I believe that without spending necessarily a ton of money we should all try to do the best we can to surround ourself with a space that we love and feel comfortable living in…we do live now indeed!

• Reply Susanne November 8, 2014 at 5:25 pm

Sanne

• Reply Lizzie November 8, 2014 at 7:52 pm

This is gorgeous! I absolutely love it. I was JUST having a conversation recently with someone about how I never have really been in the market for wallpaper because I have always rented (even though I could drool over all the amazing wallpaper out there!) But after reading your philosophy about the matter, it’s opened my eyes to realize that just because I rent doesn’t mean I can’t do fabulous things to decorate my humble abode that truly make me joyful, energized and and my best self!

• Reply gosia November 8, 2014 at 8:07 pm

holly, I thought you went a bit bananas when I first saw this patern….. but it turned out to be so you: light, subtle, a bit shimmery. And the story behind your choice of the fruit: loved it.

• Reply Elizabeth November 9, 2014 at 3:00 am

This pineapple wallpaper looks lovely in your entrance and could look nice in the white kitchen too.

• Reply decor8 November 9, 2014 at 8:58 am

@Elizabeth – I never thought of that, great idea! You’re right!

• Reply Valerie November 10, 2014 at 3:01 pm

Holly, wow what a transformation! I tend to be also one of those ”crazy ones” who look at the walls of a rented appartment and constantly fellt I have to add some design element which will add a personal touch. I usually changed the colors radically in each rented appartment and then when we mooved out, we had to pay a lot to paint the appartment back to how it was as we moved in. But just like you say, it makes such a difference to add a personal change, a design element which turnes the appartment into ”home”…it is worth it!!! This is the reason why we decorate, because with our decor choises we influence the feeling surrounding us in our homes, isn’t?
    A warm greeting,
    Valerie
    designsetter.de

• Reply Chi chi Furniture November 11, 2014 at 1:06 pm

Wow, what a transformation! Hallways are such important rooms as they are the first impression anyone gets of our home. When I open my front door, I like it to feel warm, inviting and homely.
    Can’t wait to see the next pics. So far – fab :O)

• Reply Tracy Gooding November 11, 2014 at 6:21 pm

WOW!!!!!

• Reply Judit Gueth November 11, 2014 at 8:04 pm

Looks amazing!

• Reply Christy November 13, 2014 at 12:50 am

Pineapple perfection :D Inspired to redo my place now!

• Reply julia I mintlametta November 13, 2014 at 8:52 pm

hawaii goes hannover – the result is just awesome !!!

• Reply Hayley Pinker November 27, 2014 at 2:52 pm

Love this! That wall paper is amazing! Perfect with a vintage drinks bar and a big vintage pineapple ice bucket!!

• Reply Rosie August 5, 2015 at 4:28 pm

In love with this print! Just perfect and it looks great on all walls, it isn’t too much!

• Reply alicia whalen March 16, 2016 at 5:34 am

I love it and love your blog about decorating etc. yes i am crazy too and crazy about pineapples!