Inspiration

5 Sunday Things That Make Me Happy

November 9, 2014

Sundays are always so pleasant in Germany. I’ve been living here from my native Boston for just over five years and the slowness of Sunday has always inspired me. Most shops are closed except for the flower shops and bakeries, as German tradition dating back many years say that on Sunday you are to visit the ill, your family, and then after the visit, go for a nature walk together. So cake and flowers are certainly mandatory offerings for such visits, which is why these establishments keep their doors open for a few hours each Sunday. I really love a day where you feel like there is a page break between last week and the week ahead. Like Monday begins a new chapter because Sunday concluded the week. While I’m waiting for our family to come by with some cake (the baby gets a visit from grandma/oma each week), I want to share five very random things that made me feel joyful today.

5 Sunday Things That Make Me Happy

1. This gorgeous photo of Amber Rose in celebration of her new book, Nourish: Mind, Body and Soul. I love the basket, her outfit, the color palette. It’s so inviting. There is so much coziness in this single shot. The stunning cover over this book, another favorite thing, is below.

5 Sunday Things That Make Me Happy

2. This print from my class. Tomorrow my month-long e-course, Blog Boss, concludes. We taught 400 students worldwide how to blog like a boss. It was so much fun, I loved all of the hard work of my students. In every class, I hire a graphic designer to design prints themed around the class that students can have to download, print and frame or tack to their pinboard. This is one of them from this class that Corina made for us. She made several more, all of them look quite different, so I can’t wait to show my students all of them tomorrow. But seriously, isn’t this one lovely?

5 Sunday Things That Make Me Happy

3. These holiday orbs filled with cut papers and pretty things are by Ashley Goldberg — I loved them the moment I saw them on her Facebook update today and had to share. I’ve done this before, only with little plastic deer and clippings from pine trees inside, but this is equally darling.

5 Sunday Things That Make Me Happy

4. This book cover. For as long as I can remember, I’ve been on my knees begging politely asking my publisher for a jacket on one of my decorating books like this above. Three books later, I’ve not yet won. Ok so I’m not complaining, I know they have their reasons, but someday I hope I get my dream cover. Patience… I just SO love book covers like this – the simplicity of the words combined with the busy collage of inspiring shots. Do you like this too or are you a fan of the more traditional single shot full page image with a title overlay? I like both but also love experimenting with something that feels fresh that not everyone else has.

5 Sunday Things That Make Me Happy
5. My beautiful son! Look at those feet and his adorableness! He seems to love my camera and lens cap, he is studying it here (right before it went into his mouth since he is teething). Aidan turned 9 months old today and I nearly cried because he started taking his first steps! It was so cute, he was marching around as I held his arms, just like Max from Where The Wild Things Are. So I had to put on his metallic leather crown and let the wild rumpus begin! I kept saying he’d be walking by Christmas because he is such a little overachiever (he started crawling as 6 months to the day) so this came at no surprise when he stood up while I was taking photos of him and boom – one foot, then the other, then the other, forward forward forward. Seriously this is the stuff that nothing materially can give you – it’s a joy I’ve never known. I am so touched by motherhood and the emotional roller coaster of it all.

Why didn’t I just pin these on Pinterest and skip posting here altogether? Isn’t that the trend these days? Pinterest is great but it also has cased a lot of us to stop the conversation. We just post and pin stuff but we don’t take the time as we once did to say WHY we like something, WHY it moves us, WHY we are drawn towards it. These conversations still need to happen. There is more than meets the eye to visuals, no matter how beautiful. The pretty girl isn’t interesting until she has something intelligent to SAY. The handsome man in the corner booth is only as good as he looks if he speaks kindly to others. Pinterest is only skin deep.

Hope your Sunday is slow and meaningful.

xo, Holly

(images linked to their sources above. photo of my son by me)

25 Comments

• Reply Tamarindie November 9, 2014 at 3:05 pm

This is beautiful! Very simple things have made you happy today Holly! Your son is very cute and adorable!

• Reply Suzzy November 9, 2014 at 3:45 pm

Oh well done Aidan, clever little boy – takes after his mumma :)

You’re right – it’s all too easy posting pics up left right and centre without going into the “why” – I often worry for future generations that they’ll forget to communicate with each other face to face, so by blogging and posting pics this way we build a bridge between the two concepts :)

• Reply iHanna November 9, 2014 at 4:50 pm

Thanks for a happy splash of pink Holly, these bright finds brightens my day too. :-)

• Reply Renee @ The Refined Relic November 9, 2014 at 5:42 pm

I agree with what you wrote about sharing the “whys” on the things that we love and inspire us. That is more important than a pretty picture. It allows people to learn more about each of us why opening they eyes of others to see something from a different point of view. Thanks for sharing the things you love and enjoy your Sunday.

• Reply Marianne November 9, 2014 at 6:05 pm

I have to agree with you! Even though I love Pinterest, I love blogs more because they are intimate and personal.

• Reply Karen November 9, 2014 at 6:35 pm

I was saying to my husband not long ago how I miss the slow Sundays of France. We had a beautiful routine there. A stop at the bakery on the way to the outdoor market, a stroll through the market, stopping at my favourite vendors, picking up my weekly flowers, collecting our lunch and dinner goods along the way while my daughter stayed contently in her stroller snacking on a pain au chocolat. Then a stop at the ferris wheel for her on the way home for a ride or two before lunch and nap.

Back in Canada, life has, like you say, no end to the week. This, in my mind, creates a never ending groundhog day. I prefer to pause, and enjoy the feeling – because it’s a strong one – of an entire country slowing itself down to relish in the week there was and the week to come. Your post was a nice reminder. Thank you

• Reply Yuko Jones November 9, 2014 at 6:39 pm

Love Amber Rose’s photo – so pretty! Can’t wait for the blog boss prints tomorrow. And happy 9 months to Aidan. He is the cutest!

• Reply decor8 November 9, 2014 at 6:43 pm

@Yuko – Thank you honey!!!!!

• Reply Caroline November 9, 2014 at 10:03 pm

Love your last paragraph, yes yes and yes.

• Reply Melissa Allam November 9, 2014 at 11:47 pm

The photo of your son is the best. I agree. I like the sharing on blogs. You get the whole picture. :)

• Reply Nicola Fanstone November 10, 2014 at 1:46 am

I totally agree, great post.

I just had a conversation with my husband yesterday about how people seem to always be in such a rush that they forget to ask why so often these days.

You’re son is adorable by the way!

• Reply Laura k. Aiken November 10, 2014 at 2:37 am

Holly oh my goodness Aiden is adorable! It was so refreshing to ready your post not only to see your sweet comments on the motherhood roller-coaster but also on the closing when you said you hoped our Sunday is slow. Isn’t that what Sunday’s are for? -the comfort of family?

Enjoy the small (and slow) times! You will be glad you did. :)
    Laura.

• Reply Traci November 10, 2014 at 4:39 am

I’m with you on that book cover! It’s so different from the norm and draws me in.

• Reply Michelle November 10, 2014 at 10:14 am

Oh the joy of those first steps! Please keep posting – it’s always been fantastic to read your blog but now I find it even more interesting & inspiring with your experience of motherhood interwoven. It speaks to me even more, I can relate to it even more and the beautiful things & ideas you show are even more so when they are set against a backdrop of the things that truly matter.

• Reply Sandy Deasey November 10, 2014 at 11:13 am

Oh what a gorgeous boy! You took me back to those first step moments with my little guy. Such a joy. My son is 4 now, and those moments just keep coming. When he read his first word I was so proud I could have burst! Love that you didn’t just Pin it. Love Pinterest, but not for something like this.

• Reply Elena Rosa Brown November 10, 2014 at 5:04 pm

I so totally agree with your comment that Pinterest has stopped the conversation. I’ve totally noticed a huge lack in comments the past year or so. It’s such a shame, because comments have lead to some really amazing friendships over the years. I hope it’s a trend that doesn’t continue!

Elena x

p.s. I totally adore that photo of Aiden – what a cutie. those toes and that hat = perfection!

• Reply Cyra November 10, 2014 at 9:34 pm

Great pictures !

bedeutungsvolle-momente.blogspot.de/

• Reply Sabbie Narwal November 10, 2014 at 10:34 pm

Oh, North America. It’s considered normal and necessary to keep things going with work emails bouncing around every hour of every day. Stores are always competing to stay open longer, and it’s even a point of pride for people to say they worked all week long. It’s scary that it’s only getting worse and just how much time is expected from North American workers.

I’m definitely thinking it’s time for me to move!

• Reply Simi November 11, 2014 at 6:23 am

‘Monday begins a new chapter!’….What a wonderful thought:)
    And I agree to what to say about conversations….. Its also about conversations and not just pictures…. Beautiful write-up…homely and straight from the heart! Not for SEO:)

• Reply Melissa November 11, 2014 at 7:06 am

This post and your comment makes me want to live in Europe for a season! I love the idea of a slow Sunday; I’ve been working to incorporate that in my life with moderate success for a while now.

• Reply Abbie @belovedlove November 11, 2014 at 4:22 pm

lovely post, got to love that baby toy you have there! expensive to replace though ;-)

• Reply Adrienne November 13, 2014 at 5:50 am

I completely agree. While the loads of pretty pictures on Pinterest and Instagram are inspiring, I can only take so much of it. It is peoples’ words and ideas alongside those pictures that really keep me coming back to blogs. You can’t replace it! Pinterest and Instagram have a place, but so do blogs! Thank you, Holly, for keeping the conversation alive!

• Reply julia I mintlametta November 13, 2014 at 8:50 pm

so lovely five things ! and your notes to german sundays are lovely too, I can empathize the mood, the calmness, the peacefulness of that particular day – not friday… sunday I am in love :-)

• Reply Sharon November 14, 2014 at 4:29 am

Oooh! Looking forward to printing the Blog Boss print!! Glad you posted it here instead of on Pinterest. You’re right Pinterest can be a one-way ‘conversation’. Thanks for the reminder!

Love your little prince’s crown too!

• Reply Kate @ Songs Kate Sang November 15, 2014 at 7:01 am

He’s getting so big and extra cute!