Home Tours

March 17, 2015

Hello decor8 readers. This is Emelie Ekborg and this is the first time I’ve ever written a post on decor8 so excuse me if I’m a bit excited! I originally wrote to Holly to inquire about the possibility of her sharing an apartment that I photographed with her readers and she wrote back and offered me more than I’d ever expected – to actually share it with you myself and get paid for it. Sweet! Sooooo here I am to share a small natural style studio flat from the 30s in Gothenburg, Sweden. Ready to see?

Home Tour: Small + Natural Scandi Style in Gothenburg

This space belongs to 28-year-old Fanny Henricson (shown photographed below) who gently decorated it in true Scandinavian style in blue and grey hues on a white base with lots of fresh plants and personal details. The flat is only 37 square meters (398.26ft²) and includes one room for living and sleeping, a kitchen with an eating nook, a very small entry and a bathroom – perfect for a single city girl!

When Fanny bought the flat in 2009 she removed a built-in wardrobe to have more space and then gave the entire flat a facelift with a fresh coat of white paint. She also painted the kitchen cupboards and replaced the hardware. There haven’t been any renovations aside from those small changes. With limited resources Fanny created a stylish little flat with a strong personal touch that makes her happy.

Home Tour: Small + Natural Scandi Style in Gothenburg

A whole wall in the room is covered with windows which lights up the entire flat. Even though the room is decorated in white and cool colours like navy, turquoise and grey, it manages to still feel very warm and cosy because of all the cushions, woven rug and the sheepskin.

The “Ektorp” sofa from IKEA is full of nice cushions from H&M Home, Åhlens, Chhatwal & Jonsson and the classic elephant pattern from Svenskt Tenn. The wall next to it is decorated with some large post cards, a nice contrast to the two large posters above the sofa.

The gingko plant is just magnificent on the coffee table and adds an extra freshness to the space. The grey candle holder is from Serax and the marble tray are a few of my favorite things in this room.

Home Tour: Small + Natural Scandi Style in Gothenburg

Everywhere in the flat you can find different vignettes like this one next to the TV. A book by Alexa Chung in pretty pink, two candle holders, a marble diamond, an old license plate and a simple bottle with asparagus ferns is a charming little vignette in soft colours. The diamond was a Christmas gift some years ago and the license plate was found at Williamsburg Flea Market in Brooklyn, NY. “In such a small flat it’s not possible to refurnish that often”, says Fanny. “I found the perfect way to make some changes is to work with styling small vignettes! My friends used to say that flat looks totally different every time, just because I changed a few things around.”

Home Tour: Small + Natural Scandi Style in Gothenburg

The city map of Gothenburg from The Global Institute of Creation is one of Fanny’s dearest belongings. The cabinet “Bestå” from IKEA hangs on the wall, which frees up space on the floor lending to a more airy impression. An old jar serves as a vase for some lovely hydrangeas and the turquoise bottle matches the colours in the map. The colourful skull was bought on a holiday trip to Mexico a few years ago. Now it rests on top of a pyramid of boxes from Hay. “I love to bring things home from travels”, says Fanny. “These things keeps memories and are truly treasures that will come with me to any place I call home.”

Home Tour: Small + Natural Scandi Style in Gothenburg

The bed is placed in a corner of the room. The wall next to the door is just large enough for the headboard. Instead of a bedside table, Fanny placed a shelf above the bed to hold some books, a light, a candle and other small things that one needs next to bed. An old sugar box works perfect as storage for magazines and candles! Even though Fanny gets really happy and satisfied when she finds some nice and old things at a flea market or second hand shop, it’s not very often the places where she goes for shopping.

“Patience is not my best friends”, she admits. “It’s not always I have the patience to search and dig deep at flea markets. But when I do it’s mostly for small accessories.” Fanny prefers neutral but rustic flower pots and old terracotta pots are her favourites. The fresh green leaves of a little pepperomia works really nicely above the bed to add life and some color to her sleeping nook along with a single monstera leaf. To obtain a more united and sleek look, the backs of the paperbacks are facing the wall so the titles are hidden from view to reduce visual noise and create a sense of serenity.

Home Tour: Small + Natural Scandi Style in Gothenburg

Even though the house originates from the 30s, there are sadly no original features left. The kitchen is probably from the 60s. When Fanny moved in there was Josef Frank wallpaper in the kitchen and a wallpaper with an oversized pattern in black and white in the entrance.

Home Tour: Small + Natural Scandi Style in Gothenburg

Fannyspray painted the cupboards in the kitchen and changed the handle to update the space so it feels fresh and clean.

Home Tour: Small + Natural Scandi Style in Gothenburg

In the kitchen Fanny placed a metal trolley against a wall. It gives some extra storage for cookbooks, groceries and plates. And of course the spare surface is perfect for some flowers. The wall above keeps memories and business cards. A dried hydrangea is still sharing its beauty in a purple glass bottle along with a candle holder in brass.

Home Tour: Small + Natural Scandi Style in Gothenburg

The chairs around the kitchen table are all different, a nice vintage mix. One of them is a little special, Fanny thinks it might be a Gemla. In the window there’s lots of different plants and a large iron “F” for Fanny.

Home Tour: Small + Natural Scandi Style in Gothenburg

The corner next to the window is the coffee corner and around the window hangs a black string light which gives a soft glow in the evenings. On the wall above the espresso machine there are some restaurant menus posted from local restaurants and the espresso capsules are kept in a beautiful black Mariskooli bowl from Iittala.

Home Tour: Small + Natural Scandi Style in Gothenburg

Delicious cooking ingredients and refreshments such as limes, garlic and pink lemonade are kept next to the stove. Fanny is a real urban gardener and she loves to grow plants, even though she has no balcony or terrace. On the kitchen table Fanny has created another vignette. Different hard materials like marble, glass and terracotta work very well together with wild Queen Anne’s lace and a geranium.

Home Tour: Small + Natural Scandi Style in Gothenburg

The sunlight is streaming in through the kitchen window, which makes it a nice place for Fanny’s plants.

Home Tour: Small + Natural Scandi Style in Gothenburg

In the narrow entrance you can find magazines hanging on the wall. Wire hangers turn them into functional storage and wall art at the same time so they’re not littering the room.

Home Tour: Small + Natural Scandi Style in Gothenburg

In front of the entrance door, Fanny used a net of rebar and clips to create a mood board. Quirky animal head hangers is ideal storage for her keys.

“Things that tells a story or that are very personal can almost give me butterflies in my stomach”, says Fanny. “Decorative accessories don’t need to be trendy. If I find something I love – I love it whether it appeared in an interior magazine or not. Of course I also fall for trends but it’s the uniqueness that I really love.”

So! There you have it, small city living in a warm, natural style. What do you think, do you like this space and if so, what do you like about it?

(text & photo Emelie Ekborg, styling Fanny Henricson)

39 Comments

• Reply Kevin | Thou Swell March 17, 2015 at 11:37 pm

What an inspiring space! The idea of creating a fresh feel through changing vignettes is beautiful, and I love her curated collection of decor!

• Reply Polly March 18, 2015 at 12:03 am

I love this and how liveable it looks. I’m liking all the fresh greenery dotted around too!

• Reply Michelle March 18, 2015 at 5:44 am

Hi Emelie. What a lovely little space! My favourite feature are the large windows that allow so much light to stream in! And the fact that though it is a small space, it doesn’t feel cluttered.Looking forward to seeing more of your work on Decor8 :)

• Reply Melle Blanche March 18, 2015 at 9:13 am

I love ! There are never enough plants in a house.

• Reply iHanna March 18, 2015 at 9:59 am

What a beautiful home! I am a fan of light & windows, it’s always gives the best interiors when there is lots of natural light. Thanks for sharing!

• Reply lavinia March 18, 2015 at 11:19 am

it looks so warm and comfy, great photos

• Reply Nara March 18, 2015 at 11:51 am

This flat is great, I love every part of it!

It has the scandinavian style but at the same time you can find the personality of the owner in every corner.

Nice job! XO

• Reply Debbie March 18, 2015 at 2:49 pm

Absolutely love the photos, colors, styling….everything in this post. The mood board idea is genious. I may have to steal it. Looking forward to seeing more of your work here.

Debbie in NL

• Reply bethania lima March 18, 2015 at 3:02 pm

I do love the space, its light, authenticity and vibe. And I love the style in which the post was written too. Witty and sweet. Holly has an editor eye too!

• Reply Gordana March 18, 2015 at 3:51 pm

Emelie, what a beautiful, light filled space you have discovered! Thank you for sharing (and yay for getting paid ;) and thank you Holly for introducing us to Emelie!

• Reply Mel March 18, 2015 at 5:36 pm

Hi Emelie!
    Congratulations:
    – for your first post on Decor8
    – for your excelent job as a photographer
    – for your blog..that I take a look, and its very cool!

xo, Mel

• Reply Chon March 18, 2015 at 8:52 pm

I really enjoyed this! What a great little place! Some people just have the knack! I actually loved the bit about second hand / op shops it was reassuring to know I am not alone!!!

• Reply Clever Girl Reviews March 18, 2015 at 9:47 pm

I really like that lumbar pillow on the couch!

• Reply Chrissy Halton @ Organise My House March 18, 2015 at 11:15 pm

Love this space – totally my style and look as its fresh and clean but with a neutral and industrial edge to it – thanks for such lovely pictures!

• Reply Ann Thomas March 19, 2015 at 4:34 am

Emelie, thanks for sharing your beautiful photography!

My small apartment is relatively scandi-inspired too, and we’re yet to decorate it with little knick-knacks. I’ve been sourcing out ideas and your post has been so full of inspirations!

Thanks again, I’m looking foward to more eye-candy on your blog. :)

Cheers, Ann

• Reply sharon / theprincipledtype.blogspot.com March 19, 2015 at 7:40 am

white is so colorful, really. thanks for sharing.

• Reply Emelie March 19, 2015 at 8:22 am

Thanks everyone for your positive words and cheers! I’m so happy you liked it. And a big thank you to Holly for giving me this opportunity! <3

• Reply Kim Putnam March 19, 2015 at 8:18 pm

Great first post! What stands out to me about this flat is the furniture is to scale with the space which helps make it feel open and the colors are light which also makes it feel open. We just down sized and these are things I’m also working on with our new house. Thank you for sharing.

• Reply The Office Stylist March 19, 2015 at 9:25 pm

This house is beyond amazing! I love how bright it is inside…so much natural lighting. I am also a big fan of indoor plants. This place is perfect.

• Reply julia I mintlametta March 20, 2015 at 9:59 am

wow! there is so much love for details, the combination of selected accessories, stylish interior and a lot of small plants makes it unique – all the best, julia

• Reply Maireem March 20, 2015 at 5:57 pm

Dream home! Love the simplicity but it still has personality :)

• Reply Rosa Paula March 20, 2015 at 6:25 pm

This apartment is so adorable! I love the tiny insteresting ideas like the magazines on the wall. And that light! The pictures are amazing! Hope to you see your work here again!

• Reply Door March 20, 2015 at 8:01 pm

Adorable! Thanks.

• Reply Holly O'Brian March 21, 2015 at 12:27 pm

This post is so inspiring and uplifting! I also live in a small space, and love the idea of changing vignettes.

• Reply Aghua March 21, 2015 at 12:59 pm

Beautiful apartment!

Conveys much peace…. Thanks for your post ;)

• Reply Amelia Critchlow March 21, 2015 at 11:21 pm

love, love, love! I’m finding myself drawn to the art-work on the walls too, and the different and innovative ways they are hung from tape to clips and the hangers for the magazines! Great photos :)

• Reply nuriel March 22, 2015 at 9:34 pm

gorgeous! so inspiring !

• Reply Natalia March 23, 2015 at 3:07 pm

Beautiful home! Absolutely love it. Thanks for great post again:)

• Reply Ines Rocio March 23, 2015 at 6:05 pm

Beautiful home, love the light, the white, and the attention to details.
    It’s a cozy and relaxing space!

Thanks for sharing :)

• Reply Heidie March 24, 2015 at 7:51 am

These are so cool, love the idea, thanks for the inspiration. Love your blog by the way.

• Reply Helena March 24, 2015 at 6:45 pm

This small apartment is simple, cosy and gorgeous. I love it.
    The only thing I don’t like very much is the skull.

• Reply Rahul March 24, 2015 at 7:49 pm

It’s beautiful. The white paintings and flowers are all adorable.

• Reply Catarina March 25, 2015 at 2:12 pm

Loved all the details!

• Reply Adrianne March 25, 2015 at 6:27 pm

Is really inspiring, I love this style. it remaninds me of Delightfull style :)

• Reply Shambhavi March 25, 2015 at 7:25 pm

Hi Emelie,
    What a beautiful home!! Refreshing & Inspiring!!

• Reply Moi March 26, 2015 at 12:20 am

Lovely pad. I’m really not sure why you call her Fannyspray at one point though….?!?!?! The mind boggles…

• Reply Aachen-Stoffe | Christoph March 26, 2015 at 1:34 pm

Hello,

very nice and big was done here! It looks beautiful and it fits perfectly to the spring and the coming summer. Some ideas i tried on my own and there’s where my question has its origin: different plants have been used here and i used other plants which I’ve bought in the market garden (looks like a palm, but isn’t one). But when i used single leaves the will die always after few days. Is there a possibility to improve that life time? Do you put some mineral fertiliser in the water? If yes, which one?

• Reply John April 1, 2015 at 12:35 am

The Scandinavian decorating style is a great one to use for smaller spaces! The end result is that it creates a “light and airy” feel which creates the illusion that the apartment is actually bigger than it is. It also uses creative ways to organize that are also part of the overall décor.

• Reply Wolldecke April 22, 2015 at 12:21 pm

I love your scandinavian plaids and cushions. Fine wool is always something special that lets you feel coozy.