Shopping + Products

April 20, 2015

I’ve always loved ceramics and have fond memories of working at a potter’s wheel quite regularly in my various art classes growing up. I can still feel the clay in my hands and remember pressing my thumbs and palms into it – that wet sloppy slurping, the smell, the anticipation of seeing the piece after it was sculpted, then placed to bake in the kiln, praying in silence that it wouldn’t crack or break altogether. Then the painting and glazing, waiting again, and finally your finished piece.

10 Inspiring and Beautiful Ceramics

It’s a process that requires so much patience that you can say the art of making ceramics sculpts and fires your personality in addition to the forms made. Today I thought I’d round up some of my favorite pieces at the moment with hopes that you will discover something beautiful and inspirational. Here are 10 ceramics that I love right now.

10 Inspiring and Beautiful Ceramics

1. Max and Moritz selection of ceramics like those gorgeous Ben Medansky mugs with those gold handles! Yes!

10 Inspiring and Beautiful Ceramics

2. Exclusive mugs made in California by Jujumade for Fine Life Co. I’d love these to drink my morning coffee from. A good mug makes a cup of coffee a special and relaxing time. I don’t enjoy the coffee the same from a cheap mug or some to-go cup.

10 Inspiring and Beautiful Ceramics

3. Julia Paul Pottery – this is all just so beautifully formed, I really love it.

10 Inspiring and Beautiful Ceramics

4. Rosenthal. A very classic German company that still produces such sweet pieces. I love visiting their outlet in Wolfsburg, I buy all of my vases there.

10 Inspiring and Beautiful Ceramics

5. Stella Baggott (also known as Atelier Stella) for West Elm which will be available very soon. I have to have them but sadly, there is no West Elm here in Germany. :(

10 Inspiring and Beautiful Ceramics

6. I love Berlin-based Rimma Tchilingarian and her vase sold at Leif Shop. What gorgeous vases she has in her shop, too!

10 Inspiring and Beautiful Ceramics

7. Butterly drawers – oh my! By Katherine Morling. You HAVE to visit her site. Unreal. I mean, seriously. You will die.

10 Inspiring and Beautiful Ceramics

8. Astier de Villatte – still my favorite in the world, you can find them in the US all over but ABC Home has the most extensive selection I’ve seen stateside outside of Liberty London and of course, the Astier de Villatte shop in Paris (which I could move into). I dream of owning pieces by them. I only have a large wall fork and some glass candles and incense sticks. When I’m in Paris again, I have to visit the shop and splurge a little.

10 Inspiring and Beautiful Ceramics

9. The Object Enthusiast ring dishes on Esty. Quirky and fun.

10 Inspiring and Beautiful Ceramics

10. Flow1 collection by German stylist and ceramicist Dietlind Wolf, available exclusively at ABC Home in NYC. My second favorite ceramics after Astier de Villatte.

What are some of your favorite ceramics at the moment? Any favorites above that we share?

(images: Top: Styling: Marianne Luning Photo: Tjitske van Leeuwen for VTWonen all others linked to sources)

20 Comments

• Reply Candice@NotesFromABroad April 20, 2015 at 2:05 pm

Wonderful. I like to collect porcelain and pottery. I was lucky to inherit some pieces from my grandmother and great grandmother so I have a nice bunch of fine English china pieces and Art Deco and Art Nouveau pots and bowls etc.

• Reply Eva // Food Vegetarisch April 20, 2015 at 2:21 pm

Really beautiful ceramics! What I also like these days very much are the ceramics by 3punktf (http://www.3punktf.de/)

I still plan to buy some of them for photo shoots as I like the shapes and colors so much :)

Best wishes, Eva

• Reply Kristin April 20, 2015 at 2:28 pm

I love love love “Feine Dinge”, an austrian brand. Do you know them? I think you like what they do: http://www.feinedinge.at

• Reply decor8 April 20, 2015 at 7:24 pm

@Kristin – Yes, I’ve written about them a few times over the years, such a wonderful brand and studio space too.

• Reply Emily April 20, 2015 at 4:30 pm

I love all these finds! Thank you so much for the mention!

• Reply Carolyn April 20, 2015 at 5:28 pm

Hi Holly, I love ceramics too, so much so that I’m learning to be a potter! Love these that you have featured but my favourite is Paper and Clay by Brit McDaniel. Thanks for such an inspiring blog x

• Reply Lilian April 20, 2015 at 5:39 pm

I’m really fascinated lately by this range of underwater-inspired ceramics! I think the fluid forms are nice way to vary your average paisleys and orientals.

• Reply Abigail April 20, 2015 at 5:39 pm

This post is absolutely wonderful – thank you for sharing! I have been dreaming of more pieces with the markers hand evident on them for the last week and lo and behold you post this treat of a round up :)

• Reply Katie April 20, 2015 at 7:12 pm

Wow, those butterfly drawers are incredible! What a neat, different idea.

• Reply dietlind wolf April 20, 2015 at 9:43 pm

waoh, i did did not know, you would like my ceramics so much,
    so wonderful thank you! best dietlind

• Reply Susanne Irmer April 21, 2015 at 6:57 am

thank you for sharing Holly! I’m in love with the work Form Sigrid Hovmand a pottery Form Denmark.

• Reply birgit April 21, 2015 at 1:10 pm

look at
    i really love all the work of Petra Lindenbauer

• Reply The Office Stylist April 21, 2015 at 10:00 pm

I can’t get enough of this! I’m a big fan of ceramic plates and vases, especially those with the little details. Totally loving those fun ring dishes from Etsy. So cute.

The Office Stylist
    theofficestylist.com

• Reply Jess April 22, 2015 at 12:43 am

Aw there’s some lovely pieces there! I find it hard to pack what lovely ceramics I have in my kitchen drawers – not enough space to display all the things I love!
    Here in Tasmania there’s a lovely studio, Sea Soul Studio: http://www.seasoulstudio.com/
    The jewellery side of things don’t interest me, but I am in love with her whimsical driftwood spoons: http://www.seasoulstudio.com/collections/homewares/products/sirens-spoons I can’t get enough of them!
    The hanging pots are really cute too: http://www.seasoulstudio.com/collections/homewares/products/you-me-and-the-sea-dish

• Reply Paula April 22, 2015 at 1:37 pm

The work of Katharine Morling is so impressive! what an unexpected way to work ceramic!

• Reply Sewa April 22, 2015 at 7:05 pm

I love those butterfly. Wonderful work.

• Reply emily April 23, 2015 at 3:53 am

holly! thank you for the mention!

• Reply Aga | Passion shake April 24, 2015 at 4:15 pm

What a beautiful finds, I really like the Object Enthusiasts ones. My recent ceramics crush includes Reddish ceramics made by rENs designers, which I have discovered during Salone del Mobile last week. They are just so beautiful and the process of colouring them is incredible! Each ceramic piece is placed in a liquid pigment, and then the colour soaks into material leaving traces and drawing unique patterns, without human intervention. Sometimes it can take several months to finish one piece, but I would say it’s totally worth waiting! Have a great weekend Holly xo

• Reply Corina April 28, 2015 at 7:40 pm

I am not so much into ceramics, but #7 blows my mind! It’s so simple, but so amazing too! Thanks for sharing, I am gonna check out here blog! :-)

• Reply Anna May 3, 2015 at 12:23 pm

Ahh I’m just mad about ceramics! I love the Astier de Villatte’s here. Some of my favourite household items are my ceramic wall hooks from http://www.lovehooks.co.uk